Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Armchair expert » Tue May 10, 2022 2:33 pm

Finals can simply be:

DIV 1 1st and 2nd = Premiers
DIV 2 1st and 2nd = Premiers + Promoted

Ditch the semi finals

White ball can be separate comps, everyone can play anyone, to change up who you play a bit.
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Aerie » Tue May 10, 2022 2:33 pm

Trader wrote:
Aerie wrote:- The Finals of the 2-day competition should remain and consist of the top 2 from Div 1 (in positions 1 & 2) and the top 2 from Div 2 (in positions 3 & 4) - whereby 1st plays 4th and 2nd plays 3rd in the Semi Final as is currently the case. The Semi-Final winners play off for a Div 1 Premiership and the losers for a Div 2 Premiership.

Can you please explain your finals concept further?

Are you honestly suggesting the side that finishes 3rd in Div 1 misses finals altogether but the side that finished 2nd playing Div 2 teams all year not only makes finals, but can win the toss on a wet deck, and all of a sudden be playing in the Div 1 GF?

I must have misunderstood what you are proposing...

Keeps it interesting and keeps Div 2 relevant. Maybe you could have top 3 from Div 1 and top from Div 2 takes 4th spot. The way the finals is set up, heavily favours top 2 teams anyway re home ground and only needing a draw - so it would need a huge upset.

Anyway, doesn't really matter, the main idea behind the Division concept is making the top competition through the season stronger so it filters through to the Redbacks. Maybe just the top 2 play off in a Final like the 6 team Sheffield Shield comp.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue May 10, 2022 2:41 pm

Maybe dont have a final and award the minor premier the championship soccer style.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Aerie » Tue May 10, 2022 2:46 pm

In terms of the current Redbacks squad and where they currently play Grade Cricket:

West Torrens (5): Buckingham, Drew, Johnson, Nielsen, Capel
Glenelg (5): Carey, Doggett, McSweeney, Scott, Higgins
University (4): Agar, Weatherald, Winter, Brazell
Kensington (3): Grant, Hunt, Pope
Sturt (2): Kelly, Matthias
East Torrens (2); Lehmann, King
Tea Tree Gully (1): Head
Port Adelaide (1): Carder
Woodville (1): McAndrew

To be placed: Conway, Manenti, Thornton, Cahill
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby tigerpie » Tue May 10, 2022 2:57 pm

Trader wrote:
Aerie wrote:- The Finals of the 2-day competition should remain and consist of the top 2 from Div 1 (in positions 1 & 2) and the top 2 from Div 2 (in positions 3 & 4) - whereby 1st plays 4th and 2nd plays 3rd in the Semi Final as is currently the case. The Semi-Final winners play off for a Div 1 Premiership and the losers for a Div 2 Premiership.

Are you honestly suggesting the side that finishes 3rd in Div 1 misses finals altogether but the side that finished 2nd playing Div 2 teams all year not only makes finals, but can win the toss on a wet deck, and all of a sudden be playing in the Div 1 GF?

And by some miracle a div 2 team gets up and wins it?
Washouts, heat outs etc would be problematic.
Top 2 play off for the premiership in div 1.
Top 4 in div 2.
That'll work.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Gosaints » Tue May 10, 2022 5:11 pm

cokadonkeytoo wrote:There are so many follow up questions that need to be answered if the vote goes in favour of the Division split. ALL clubs will be trying to recruit to give themselves the best opportunity to finish up the ladder because who's going to want to play at a Div 2 side. It will become infinitely harder for those clubs out of the top 5/6 clubs to ever become competitive with the top group. Where does that leave the metro/regional zones? Does that become a free for all? Does the SACA funding stay the same? Do the Div 1 clubs get more than the Div 2 clubs? To get an opportunity at the next level, do you have to be at a Div 1 club? Would that mean someone with aspirations to play for the Redbacks, let's say Isaac Conway, would he have to leave Port and move to another club? Will they put in place rules around player movement between clubs?

My opinion is, this is their best way of getting what they want while allowing the individual clubs to keep their identities. The top 4/5 clubs will get to play each other every year and there'll be 2/3 teams on the periphery that will get an opportunity each year. I agree that there should be more to just this seasons results to determine the divisions. Club structure, finances, facilities and player development should all be part of the process.

Final thought, I wonder whether this will make clubs look at approaching other clubs to talk about merging???

Clearly the SACA is making this strategic move knowing, and perhaps hoping, some clubs will die or be forced to merge - as it will be very hard for the core teams in division 2 to ever be competitive in division 1 (talent will not go to a division 2 club).

Question: who is the decision maker for this? SACA or the clubs?
Gosaints
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Glenunga

Postby Minimum Chips » Tue May 10, 2022 5:23 pm

Gosaints wrote:
cokadonkeytoo wrote:There are so many follow up questions that need to be answered if the vote goes in favour of the Division split. ALL clubs will be trying to recruit to give themselves the best opportunity to finish up the ladder because who's going to want to play at a Div 2 side. It will become infinitely harder for those clubs out of the top 5/6 clubs to ever become competitive with the top group. Where does that leave the metro/regional zones? Does that become a free for all? Does the SACA funding stay the same? Do the Div 1 clubs get more than the Div 2 clubs? To get an opportunity at the next level, do you have to be at a Div 1 club? Would that mean someone with aspirations to play for the Redbacks, let's say Isaac Conway, would he have to leave Port and move to another club? Will they put in place rules around player movement between clubs?

My opinion is, this is their best way of getting what they want while allowing the individual clubs to keep their identities. The top 4/5 clubs will get to play each other every year and there'll be 2/3 teams on the periphery that will get an opportunity each year. I agree that there should be more to just this seasons results to determine the divisions. Club structure, finances, facilities and player development should all be part of the process.

Final thought, I wonder whether this will make clubs look at approaching other clubs to talk about merging???

Clearly the SACA is making this strategic move knowing, and perhaps hoping, some clubs will die or be forced to merge - as it will be very hard for the core teams in division 2 to ever be competitive in division 1 (talent will not go to a division 2 club).

Maybe a deliberate move - go with 2 divisions for several seasons and wait for clubs to merge or fall by the wayside and then merge the 2 divisions together back to 1 comp. afterward? :?
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Bute

Postby JesseWhite » Tue May 10, 2022 6:01 pm

Minimum Chips wrote:
Gosaints wrote:

Maybe a deliberate move - go with 2 divisions for several seasons and wait for clubs to merge or fall by the wayside and then merge the 2 divisions together back to 1 comp. afterward? :?

Could it possibly go the other way? With some stronger Turf Clubs considering jumping into Division 2? I reckon two 8 team divisions would work pretty well.
JesseWhite
Rookie

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue May 10, 2022 8:58 pm

Trader wrote:

I would go a step further, the important part will be to ensure there is not too big a gap between the two divisions, so that you do not get a concentration of talent at a handful of clubs.

I would have 2.5 up and down with only one week of finals

Div 1 - 1 v 2 play off in the Grand Final for Div 1
Div 2 - 1 v 2 play off in the Grand Final for Div 2 and both Promoted
Div 1 - 5 and 6 both relegated
Div 1 position 4 v Div 2 posion 3 playoff for a spot in Div 1 the following season

Only the grand finalists and 3rd are guaranteed a spot in Div 1 the following season, with 4th having to earn it against the 3rd place of Div 2

More volatility will mean that Div 1 have to perform to maintain their spot every year, whilst it is not too far a climb for any club to earn it from Div 2.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Trader » Wed May 11, 2022 10:57 am

JesseWhite wrote:Could it possibly go the other way? With some stronger Turf Clubs considering jumping into Division 2? I reckon two 8 team divisions would work pretty well.

Turf clubs aren't interested in 11am starts on Saturdays, Sunday cricket, heaps of training, etc.
Turf is growing because its more balanced with life outside of cricket.

There is also the fact that not many turf clubs have A-D grades, plus all the various juniors.

Look Good In Leather wrote:
Trader wrote:

I would go a step further, the important part will be to ensure there is not too big a gap between the two divisions, so that you do not get a concentration of talent at a handful of clubs.

I would have 2.5 up and down with only one week of finals

Div 1 - 1 v 2 play off in the Grand Final for Div 1
Div 2 - 1 v 2 play off in the Grand Final for Div 2 and both Promoted
Div 1 - 5 and 6 both relegated
Div 1 position 4 v Div 2 posion 3 playoff for a spot in Div 1 the following season

Only the grand finalists and 3rd are guaranteed a spot in Div 1 the following season, with 4th having to earn it against the 3rd place of Div 2

More volatility will mean that Div 1 have to perform to maintain their spot every year, whilst it is not too far a climb for any club to earn it from Div 2.

SACA wants a natural break between the grades. 'Good' cricketers will gravitate to Div 1, Div 2 clubs will become irrelevant.
Funding will be concentrated on Div 1 clubs.
Div 2 will fold with those clubs drifting back into the turf comp.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby The Hound » Wed May 11, 2022 11:05 am

Aerie wrote:In terms of the current Redbacks squad and where they currently play Grade Cricket:

, will end up at We$t Torren$
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Wed May 11, 2022 11:52 am

The Hound wrote:
Aerie wrote:In terms of the current Redbacks squad and where they currently play Grade Cricket:

BITTER MUCH :shock: I know you are fishing, don't know why biting, BUT just to put on record again:

West Torrens do not pay any players, never have in all my time at the Club. We had all the interstate players wanting to come to us last year, took the two we knew would have all year and benefit us the most, and turns out Fallins and Buckingham were exactly the right fits. We dished out the others to you at Glenelg and McAndrew to Woodville.

I believe we have one of these four locked in, and again, the one that will help us the most and what we need. Even more important to make sure you finish Top 6 with the new proposal for 2023/24! We have sent the other three to other clubs to share the love :D
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Minimum Chips » Wed May 11, 2022 2:00 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
The Hound wrote:

BITTER MUCH :shock: I know you are fishing, don't know why biting, BUT just to put on record again:

West Torrens do not pay any players, never have in all my time at the Club. We had all the interstate players wanting to come to us last year, took the two we knew would have all year and benefit us the most, and turns out Fallins and Buckingham were exactly the right fits. We dished out the others to you at Glenelg and McAndrew to Woodville.

I believe we have one of these four locked in, and again, the one that will help us the most and what we need. Even more important to make sure you finish Top 6 with the new proposal for 2023/24! We have sent the other three to other clubs to share the love :D

Is there any truth to the rumour that Tim Oakley was promised payment but it was never received? I've heard this around the traps so just asking as you're in the know (or is someone out there being a bit mischievous). Does that also mean that Lindsay Buckingham may have to forgo the nice set of wheels provided to him by a club member last year to get him over the line as it may need to be passed on to someone else? :lol: :lol:
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Bute

Postby Eagles2014 » Wed May 11, 2022 2:14 pm

Minimum Chips wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:
The Hound wrote:

Is there any truth to the rumour that Tim Oakley was promised payment but it was never received? I've heard this around the traps so just asking as you're in the know. Does that also mean that Lindsay Buckingham may have to forgo the nice set of wheels provided to him by a club member last year to get him over the line as it may need to be passed on to someone else? :lol: :lol:

Never heard that Oakley story. Would highly doubt it is true. Never known us to pay players, As for Buckingham, think the President lent him his old car which he has lent to our Pom players before to get around, don't think it is a great car looking at it, looks pretty old and just to get around but maybe wrong :shock:
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed May 11, 2022 2:31 pm

Cam Valente returning to SA perhaps...? But potentially not to Adelaide CC...
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby heater31 » Wed May 11, 2022 2:50 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Cam Valente returning to SA perhaps...? But potentially not to Adelaide CC...
Glenelg????
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby The Hound » Wed May 11, 2022 3:00 pm

heater31 wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Cam Valente returning to SA perhaps...? But potentially not to Adelaide CC...
Glenelg????

Had signed at the Ocean Pony's a few years ago and used the pull out method ;) and stayed at the Buffs
The Hound
Reserves

Postby The Hound » Wed May 11, 2022 3:05 pm

E2014 - Not bitter, just stirring ;)

Admire the Eags for getting past the semi final stage and developing there own players.

With the proposed two division model, does the PC clubs need to sign off? if so you would assume the vote will be 7-6 against.
The Hound
Reserves

Postby cokadonkeytoo » Wed May 11, 2022 9:29 pm

I reckon it will pass. WT, Glenelg, Sturt, Kensi, Uni and TTG will all vote yes. I reckon Woodville and ET will both vote yes and the umpires will vote yes too. It will get through
Get that corn outta my face!!
cokadonkeytoo
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby whufc » Thu May 12, 2022 9:07 am

Aerie wrote:A few thoughts:

- Re the initial Div 1 & Div 2 teams: Points from 2-day Season minor round 19/20 worth 20%, 20/21 40%, 21/22 60% and the upcoming season worth 100% and add them together to determine which team plays in which division.

- 2nd Grade shouldn't be caught up in the Divisional concept. If you want the top club of Div 2 to make a serious run at being competitive in Div 1, let their best juniors/up and comers be playing competitively at 2nd Grade level against similar abilities the season before.

- The Finals of the 2-day competition should remain and consist of the top 2 from Div 1 (in positions 1 & 2) and the top 2 from Div 2 (in positions 3 & 4) - whereby 1st plays 4th and 2nd plays 3rd in the Semi Final as is currently the case. The Semi-Final winners play off for a Div 1 Premiership and the losers for a Div 2 Premiership.

- The One-Day and T20 comps should run the same way as the 2-day comp with 2 divisions (the Finals series the same as above), but only the 2-day comp counts for promotion/relegation.

Why couldn't each comp has its on promotion/relegation so that way you could be in div 1 for 2 day cricket but in div 2 for t20 cricket. That way division 1 would be of the highest standard for each of the comps.

Would also help div 2 two day clubs potentially attract recruits if they were in div1 in the t20 comp etc.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps