Round 6 Sturt vs Dogs Wigan Oval Sunday 2:10

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 6 Sturt vs Dogs Wigan Oval Sunday 2:10

Postby whufc » Tue May 10, 2022 5:24 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
Ronnie wrote:What Sturt do do well is develop their own and produce league players out of their system because recruiting has been very low key for a few years now. Challenge is will this approach be good enough to go against the likes of Eagles and Glenelg who supplement their lists with quality recruits year after year. Apart from Tom Lewis who I think skipped Reserves football most of them (Illman, Coomblas, Grivell, Voss etc) spent at least a year or two playing reserves football. It must be a reasonable environment as well to keep them there as even Penfold, a fringe player is still running around for Sturt and I remember him playing reserves footy back in 2014!

Would I be correct in stating that a number of Sturt's players have had the fortune of coming up through St. Peter's College or PAC though? They have excellent school programs that sure help.

Won’t don’t we try to help build excellent school programs in our region

An ex Centrals player has done exactly that in the mid north region thanks to a collaboration between the Eagles and the school he works at.

I think a program like that would be hugely successful in the northern suburbs especially if it meant sport was a way to increase attendances, keep kids in school and improve grades for those that aren’t as academically high achieving.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby am Bays » Tue May 10, 2022 6:36 pm

knowledge wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:Would I be correct in stating that a number of Sturt's players have had the fortune of coming up through St. Peter's College or PAC though? They have excellent school programs that sure help.

On the contrary, we have to reeducate them when they come back from independent school programs into playing their roles instead of running around like unregistered dogs trying to get every kick they can. I don't know what they try to each them at school footy, but, it's certainly not structure...

Yup, many a career has been ruined by the independent school system but hey so and so played at St Princes Hearts college and got a gazillion kicks on a numpty who wouldn't make an SANFL club's 16s, then come a play on a similarly talented player at the SANFL 18s level and their footy IQ gets exposed.

Dont get me started on how they train these kids with no thought for any modified program they might be on due to a stress related injury.....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby bulldogproud » Tue May 10, 2022 7:37 pm

knowledge wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:
Ronnie wrote:What Sturt do do well is develop their own and produce league players out of their system because recruiting has been very low key for a few years now. Challenge is will this approach be good enough to go against the likes of Eagles and Glenelg who supplement their lists with quality recruits year after year. Apart from Tom Lewis who I think skipped Reserves football most of them (Illman, Coomblas, Grivell, Voss etc) spent at least a year or two playing reserves football. It must be a reasonable environment as well to keep them there as even Penfold, a fringe player is still running around for Sturt and I remember him playing reserves footy back in 2014!

Would I be correct in stating that a number of Sturt's players have had the fortune of coming up through St. Peter's College or PAC though? They have excellent school programs that sure help.

On the contrary, we have to reeducate them when they come back from independent school programs into playing their roles instead of running around like unregistered dogs trying to get every kick they can. I don't know what they try to each them at school footy, but, it's certainly not structure...

I would be extremely surprised if that was the case nowadays, particularly when you look at who heads up the football program at the independent schools:

St. Peter's - Josh Francou
PAC - Matthew Slade
Rostrevor - James Allan
Scotch - Ben Nelson
Immanuel - Mark Bickley
Westminster - Tim Weatherald
Sacred Heart - Jon Symonds

Are you truly saying that these veterans of the SANFL system allow their players to 'run around like unregistered dogs' and have no idea how to prepare them for the SANFL???
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby wild dog » Tue May 10, 2022 8:32 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
knowledge wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:

I would be extremely surprised if that was the case nowadays, particularly when you look at who heads up the football program at the independent schools:

St. Peter's - Josh Francou
PAC - Matthew Slade
Rostrevor - James Allan
Scotch - Ben Nelson
Immanuel - Mark Bickley
Westminster - Tim Weatherald
Sacred Heart - Jon Symonds

Are you truly saying that these veterans of the SANFL system allow their players to 'run around like unregistered dogs' and have no idea how to prepare them for the SANFL???

Beat me to it BP. St Michaels was Andrew McCleod a few years ago, not sure who it is now. Saint ingatius - Panos, Pembroke ?. Its a ridiculous assertion.

Must be a real hassle communicating with the likes of Josh Francou and Matty Slade when dealing with the Private Schools, not to mention the integration of training that they organise with their respective league clubs starting in year 7. The colleges have elite development programs, gyms, pools and physical/mental development as well as scholarships designed to lure the best footballers to meet inclusivity and deliver footy results. No complaint with the latter from me, but saying that the schools are somehow detracting from elite player development is delusional, particularly on a thread that has skewed to discussing Centrals metro zone.

Metropolitan wise, the brightest Centrals have is Golden Grove and the metro campuses of Trinity, but the challenge is that soccer is really well organised and always attracted the migrants and their offspring within the region.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby Bluedemon » Wed May 11, 2022 1:32 pm

Booney wrote:"You’re all not true supporters. Nothing to do with our coach. We played we take responsibility for it, it’s not acceptable. If your not willing to support us through this you shouldn’t support us. But don’t try blame it on one person."

This is the dumbest thing anyone at a football club can say.

Is this what the player said on their facebook page?
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 96 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Booney » Wed May 11, 2022 1:33 pm

Bluedemon wrote:
Booney wrote:"You’re all not true supporters. Nothing to do with our coach. We played we take responsibility for it, it’s not acceptable. If your not willing to support us through this you shouldn’t support us. But don’t try blame it on one person."

That's a direct quote in "marks", yes.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Wed May 11, 2022 1:37 pm

Bluedemon wrote:

On the CDFC facebook page.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Bluedemon » Wed May 11, 2022 1:38 pm

Booney wrote:
Bluedemon wrote:

Not a good look from the player
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 96 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby wild dog » Wed May 11, 2022 2:50 pm

Bluedemon wrote:
Booney wrote:
Bluedemon wrote:

Not a good look from the player

Yep, a 25yo guy, 2 young kids who has come over from Tassie and loves the club and the competition has overstepped slightly within a poxy facebook post while defending his coach. Besides the statement about our more active critical social media supporters, the comment contains an admirable message, taking the blame for poor performance while praising his mentor. The lad is probably earning $15k per year and busting his gut and unhappy with his and his teams form. We are talking the SANFL here, less interest within the public sphere and the local Murdoch rag than the first 18 private old chum college football and associated old scholars teams. If ever there is a time to give the lad a break particularly within the club and its supporters, it is now.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby whufc » Wed May 11, 2022 3:13 pm

Hopefully he turns it on next Friday night and gives those not real fans something to cheer about.

I bloody hope we show a reaction after Sundays performance.

I found Montgomery's comments more interesting...……….he wrote, 'so gutted about today, then come home and have to read shit like this.'

I know its social media and its hard to avoid but surely as a player you would know to avoid reading comments after a performance like that......interesting usage of the term 'have to'. Probably shows the levels with which the younger generation are invested and encaptured by social media.

I know I don't cop the same level of scrutiny in my job but often my workplace will put up social media posts that will divide opinion (I work in health and fitness, sport and rec) where once again everyone is an expert. I know if we are posting something that may be controversial I will stay off our page until im in the head space and mindframe to read knowing I will probably be agitated by some of the posts.

Makes me wonder how much or if at all the club discuss social media etc with the players.
whufc
Coach

Postby gazzamagoo » Fri May 13, 2022 8:55 am

whufc wrote:Hopefully he turns it on next Friday night and gives those not real fans something to cheer about.

I bloody hope we show a reaction after Sundays performance.

I found Montgomery's comments more interesting...……….he wrote, 'so gutted about today, then come home and have to read shit like this.'

I know its social media and its hard to avoid but surely as a player you would know to avoid reading comments after a performance like that......interesting usage of the term 'have to'. Probably shows the levels with which the younger generation are invested and encaptured by social media.

I know I don't cop the same level of scrutiny in my job but often my workplace will put up social media posts that will divide opinion (I work in health and fitness, sport and rec) where once again everyone is an expert. I know if we are posting something that may be controversial I will stay off our page until im in the head space and mindframe to read knowing I will probably be agitated by some of the posts.

Makes me wonder how much or if at all the club discuss social media etc with the players.

I love the passion & the interaction,
I've been screaming at the club for more transparency & "open-ness" for some time now.
They're not demi gods, they're just people & it's just footy,
maybe they stuffed up by venting their spleens publicly, so what.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby whufc » Fri May 13, 2022 9:10 am

I didn't have a problem with Montgomeries post......he might have said the chat was shit but at least didn't call people fake fans etc.

Just not sure why he would want to go on and read it.....like honestly what did he expect was going to be written after a 100 point loss. It couldn't be good for his mental health getting on a reading comments after a loss like that....there is no club in the world, in any sport where the comments would have been complimentary. To be honest 99% of the comments weren't that harsh...…….in comparison to what you might see on an AFL clubs page or European soccer pages. I'm surprised no smart arse comments were made eg responding to his 'I have to read this shit' with 'I had to watch that shit today' kind of posts.

I 100% agree the club needs to me more transparent...probably just needs to be done in a more formalised constructive way. Whatever happened to the live facebooks where players got on and you could ask them questions. I thought that was always good. Also loved watching the Sunderland Netflix series where once a month they have a 'pub meet' where the manager and a selected player go to their clubrooms and fans are allowed to go and ask questions in a relaxed set up. Obviously there is a host to ensure things stay on track and all questions are of a constructive nature. It was interesting watching Sunderland do this because they were struggling as well and it seemed to be a great way for the fans to see/understand/feel what the club and players were trying to achieve and what mini goals they were setting. From there fans on a Saturday were hoping for wins but if not could some of the little improvements that the club had talked about at these meetings which obviously gives a sense of optimism. I thought it was a really great concept that could easily be adapted.
whufc
Coach

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL