AFLW 2022

Talk on the national game

Re: AFLW 2022

Postby MW » Fri May 20, 2022 7:42 pm

Someone made a valid point on twitter… will there be two 2022 premiers in 2022? How will that work?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Vamos » Fri May 20, 2022 7:53 pm

MW wrote:Someone made a valid point on twitter… will there be two 2022 premiers in 2022? How will that work?

How many 2's did Roger Twose make in the 2 tests....
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 450 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Bum Crack » Sun May 22, 2022 8:37 pm

David Brent wrote:I'm interested in where the finals especially grand finals will be played when they expect large crowds.

For instance if the Crows or Power were to make it you would presume Adelaide Oval is out of the question as the drop in pitches will be in? Same would be said for MCG & other grounds around you would presume.

Cobdogla Oval is free. U could get 100 cars around the oval so there will be more than enough room for the 80 people who want to watch it. .
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 884 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Booney » Tue May 31, 2022 3:02 pm

The AFL has revealed the preliminary 2022 NAB AFLW Draft selection order ahead of the 2022 NAB AFLW Draft.

As an expansion team, Port Adelaide will receive the first five South Australian picks, ahead of the Adelaide Crows.

The Draft is state-based, meaning prospective Draft picks are able to choose just one region they wish to be picked for.

Port Adelaide list manager Naomi Maidment is looking forward to completing the inaugural women’s team with the state’s best up-and-coming talent.

“We are really pleased with how our list is coming together and we already have a great mix of youth and experience,” Maidment said.

"We are committed to investing in South Australian talent and the Draft is the best opportunity for us to do this. We are really excited to welcome young, local talent into our club.”

The Draft will take place on Wednesday 29 June, almost four weeks after the Draft Combine.

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue May 31, 2022 3:20 pm

Some good talent av too Boon, a few North Adelaide premiership girls should end up there with Sturt not far behind them.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby MW » Tue May 31, 2022 3:44 pm

Booney wrote:The AFL has revealed the preliminary 2022 NAB AFLW Draft selection order ahead of the 2022 NAB AFLW Draft.

As an expansion team, Port Adelaide will receive the first five South Australian picks, ahead of the Adelaide Crows.

The Draft is state-based, meaning prospective Draft picks are able to choose just one region they wish to be picked for.

Port Adelaide list manager Naomi Maidment is looking forward to completing the inaugural women’s team with the state’s best up-and-coming talent.

“We are really pleased with how our list is coming together and we already have a great mix of youth and experience,” Maidment said.

"We are committed to investing in South Australian talent and the Draft is the best opportunity for us to do this. We are really excited to welcome young, local talent into our club.”

The Draft will take place on Wednesday 29 June, almost four weeks after the Draft Combine.

Does that include Crows academy players?
MW
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue May 31, 2022 4:14 pm

Wedgie wrote:Some good talent av too Boon, a few North Adelaide premiership girls should end up there with Sturt not far behind them.

:lol:

SANFLW talents Jade De Melo and Jade Halfpenny have signed with Port Adelaide for the upcoming NAB AFLW season.

The talented players have both had outstanding years in the SANFLW, with De Melo capping off her season by snagging three goals for North Adelaide in Sunday’s grand final.

The pair were surprised separately with contract offers last week, after being invited to tour the club and meet with list manager Naomi Maidment.

De Melo was previously picked up by Fremantle in the 2017 draft as a rookie, but was delisted at the end of the 2018 season after just two opportunities to don the purple jumper.

Since then, she has demonstrated remarkable on-field talent at SANFL level, with the half-forward sitting inside the league top 10 for most goals in 2022.

In what feels like the perfect second chance at an AFLW career, 29-year-old De Melo shared the emotional conversation she had with Maidment.

“After the tour, I had a physical and was then expecting that to be it for the night,” De Melo recalled.

“At the end, Naomi was like ‘I have one more question…do you want in?’ I was like ‘what?!’ And I of course said yes! I don’t normally cry but I did get a little teary.”

De Melo sees joining an expansion team as the perfect chance to challenge herself and get stuck back into the professionalism of the national competition.

“I feel like the first time around, it was just like a little taste (of AFLW) and I wasn’t really able to give it a good crack,” said De Melo, who also works for Santos as a mechanical engineer.

“I didn’t fully understand at the time the gravity of what this competition has done for women’s sport, so to get another go is pretty amazing. I feel far more prepared this time round and I think it’s such an exciting time to join this club.”

Head coach Lauren Arnell is thrilled to have De Melo on board.

“One thing we love about Jade is the growth she has shown over the last few years,” Arnell said.

“She has shown us that she now has a really clear understanding of AFLW and what’s required to be successful. She reads the game exceptionally well and that has really stood out for us.”

Tall forward Halfpenny shows maturity beyond her years and, along with new teammate De Melo, was in shock to receive an offer to join Port Adelaide.

The 20-year-old was the first father-daughter recruit for Norwood when she joined in 2020, with dad Warren having played 26 games for the Redlegs in the early 1990s.

Halfpenny tops her club leaderboard for most disposals in 2022 and sits inside the top 10 for most marks across the league.

Her approach to her meeting with Maidment was hopeful, but not expectant.

“I never really expected an offer because I didn’t want to get my hopes up and be disappointed,” she said.

“I went into the season knowing there would be opportunities and wanted to do the best I could to be considered.

“I’m pretty elated. This is something I've been working toward for a few years now and I’m just so excited to get the chance to prove myself at this level.”
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue May 31, 2022 4:15 pm

MW wrote:
Booney wrote:The AFL has revealed the preliminary 2022 NAB AFLW Draft selection order ahead of the 2022 NAB AFLW Draft.

Does that include Crows academy players?

Not sure mate.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Tue May 31, 2022 4:33 pm

There's some incredible talent out there in SA, both sides are going to fill their boots.
I don't know who she is, but my daughters U17.5 team were playing Mitcham on the weekend and there was a Mitcham girl who was as good a female player I've seen at that age.
MW
Coach

Postby locky801 » Tue May 31, 2022 5:06 pm

Reckon a couple of North girls were previously at Freo (Pope from Broadies being One)

Pretty sure Port will be having a close look at her
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby MW » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:28 pm

Absolutely stoked the Crows got Keeley Kustermann. Watched her through the years at Goody Saints with my daughter and she was a stand out.
MW
Coach

Postby Jase » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:54 pm

One of the girls from our school got picked up by the Power...

She is an absolute gem of a girl and in my youngest boys year 12 cohort...

Fantastic news...

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1476 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby Armchair expert » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:38 pm

Rucci reporting the AFLW grand final will be hosted at Marvel stadium for a long long time.
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:45 pm

Armchair expert wrote:Rucci reporting the AFLW grand final will be hosted at Marvel stadium for a long long time.

Considering the GF is in November, the larger capacity venues will be in Cricket mode.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1208 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Wedgie » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:43 pm

Great vision of Erin Phillips telling her Dad she's been named Captain.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby valleys07 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:22 pm

Wedgie wrote:Great vision of Erin Phillips telling her Dad she's been named Captain.

There was serious cutting of onions happening whilst watching that.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby am Bays » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:02 pm

Three young Darwin umpires doing Port’s trial game this weekend. The young fieldy has already been earmarked as the next Eleni. Can play footy too but in 10 years she’ll be doing AFL mens Emma Stark is her name. Already done Mens premier League up here.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Vamos » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:32 pm

am Bays wrote:Three young Darwin umpires doing Port’s trial game this weekend. The young fieldy has already been earmarked as the next Eleni. Can play footy too but in 10 years she’ll be doing AFL mens Emma Stark is her name. Already done Mens premier League up here.

Destined for big things being from the North bearing the name Stark.
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 450 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Dutchy » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:50 pm

Good luck with the girls playing on Norwood Oval tomorrow
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby stan » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:55 pm

Dutchy wrote:Good luck with the girls playing on Norwood Oval tomorrow
Absolutely in no condition for anything tomorrow.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL