Albanese Labor Govt Watch

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Albanese Labor Govt Watch

Postby DOC » Mon May 23, 2022 11:03 am

Here we go. Please ensure that this thread is as unbiased as the previous Abbott/Lib thread.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 2071 times

Re: Albanese Labor Govt Watch

Postby Booney » Mon May 23, 2022 11:19 am

#weareportadelaide

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7450 times
Been liked: 10717 times

Postby stan » Mon May 23, 2022 11:20 am

Still abit to ply out, a few media outlets are saying Albo gets to 76, however until Greene declares it I won't believe it.

The next battle in the senate looks interesting. The issue for one nation is with multiple right wing minor parties entering the election it has really watered down there vote to point that non of these parties will have a seat in the senate.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1252 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon May 23, 2022 11:29 am

Will Keneally continue to live in the western suburbs as she promised to do
I think she has to or she will be fair game when they parachute her back in
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Armchair expert » Mon May 23, 2022 11:31 am

Albo handed a free kick and 50 metres if Dutton is put lib leader like reported.
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1407 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby am Bays » Mon May 23, 2022 11:34 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:Will Keneally continue to live in the western suburbs as she promised to do

$200 K for a Senior Ministerial Advisor, or Senior Director of the PMs Sydney's office...

A pay cut yes but having taken one for the team the KPIs will be low...
Last edited by am Bays on Mon May 23, 2022 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 1802 times

Postby DOC » Mon May 23, 2022 11:47 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:Will Keneally continue to live in the western suburbs as she promised to do

That's something for you Sydney siders to contemplate.
DOC
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon May 23, 2022 11:48 am

Armchair expert wrote:Albo handed a free kick and 50 metres if Dutton is put lib leader like reported.
Dutton won’t make it to the election but I think he can serve a purpose initially as opposition leader. Can be used as a attack dog on Albo and hammer him non stop on everything for 1-2 years and then replace him a year out from the election. They can’t win a election with him in charge and ICAC might have him and a few others mysteriously retiring “to spend more time with family”
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3533 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby DOC » Mon May 23, 2022 11:51 am

Armchair expert wrote:Albo handed a free kick and 50 metres if Dutton is put lib leader like reported.

It's hard to think of another candidate though. Perhaps the Nationals should insist that Baranaby is the man.
DOC
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon May 23, 2022 11:58 am

What’s that noise I hear, Sounds like Adam Bandt unzipping his fly.

Katy Gallagher has reiterated this morning that Labor will not move from its 43% emissions reduction target despite Bandt wanting 60%.

Guess who holds the balance of power in the senate Katy?
Labor can’t get anything done without Greens approval

Going to be great seeing the Greens tear the Unions a new one
Jim05
Coach

Postby Trader » Mon May 23, 2022 12:05 pm

The rise of the teal.

It's very clear there is a strong majority that are keen to see action on climate change, but remain economically right.
That poses three initial questions for mine.

1) Will the greens look back at an opportunity missed? Had they been even remotely reasonable in what they were asking for, they could have picked up a huge number of votes. (Sure they'll point to their record number they got this time - not to mention the power they wield in the senate, but how many more votes and lower house seats would they received if they were even remotely responsible when it comes to the economy).

2) 8 (i think) teal candidates all got voted in. This is a great win for them. But will it actually achieve anything? Sure, it sends a strong message that economically sensible climate policy is wanted by the electorate, not to mention the messaging around intelligent female candidates, but what real power do they have? Labor is likely to get a majority in their own right, and even if they just miss, there are so many on the cross bench that it won't take much to get things through the lower house without needing to turn to the teals. So, how do the teal's get their policies in?

3) The biggest question, what does economically responsible climate policy look like?
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 793 times

Postby RB » Mon May 23, 2022 12:17 pm

Jim05 wrote:Guess who holds the balance of power in the senate Katy?

Lots of reforms that are opposed by the Greens will be supported by the Coalition, and vice versa, so I think the power that the Greens will have in practice is overstated.

That said, an obstructive senate in Australia is often handy for the government, given that it can 1) be blamed when things go wrong, and 2) form a political and constitutional pretext for an early election.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 758 times
Been liked: 1068 times

Postby Trader » Mon May 23, 2022 12:23 pm

RB wrote:

Lots of reforms that are opposed by the Greens will be supported by the Coalition, and vice versa, so I think the power that the Greens will have in practice is overstated.

That said, an obstructive senate in Australia is often handy for the government, given that it can 1) be blamed when things go wrong, and 2) form a political and constitutional pretext for an early election.

Will be interesting to see if the green's learn their lesson from last time.

They could have had a real climate policy in place back when Rudd proposed it, but they said it didn't go far enough, blocked it, and 10 years on we still have nothing of note.

Will they be more reasonable this time round? Or will they once again push for crazy targets and say to hell with anything that gets in their way?

Being the crazy idealists they are, it wouldn't shock me if they continue to want too much.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 793 times

Postby Brodlach » Mon May 23, 2022 12:23 pm

stan wrote:Still abit to ply out, a few media outlets are saying Albo gets to 76, however until Greene declares it I won't believe it.

The next battle in the senate looks interesting. The issue for one nation is with multiple right wing minor parties entering the election it has really watered down there vote to point that non of these parties will have a seat in the senate.

ABC had them with 72 seats
3 ALP likely
2 ALP ahead

Gives them 77

https://www.abc.net.au/news/elections/f ... &state=all
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4189 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Wedgie » Mon May 23, 2022 12:34 pm

Poor Albo's rabbits got smashed by the Raiders in Dubbo, not a great weekend for him! :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2009 times
Been liked: 3846 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon May 23, 2022 12:46 pm

They said that about Abbott...........
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon May 23, 2022 12:55 pm

Barnaby is worried about losing Josh's tax policy, especially for those who are wealthy. Bless.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7450 times
Been liked: 10717 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon May 23, 2022 1:03 pm

Trader wrote:The rise of the teal.

It's very clear there is a strong majority that are keen to see action on climate change, but remain economically right.
That poses three initial questions for mine.

1) Will the greens look back at an opportunity missed? Had they been even remotely reasonable in what they were asking for, they could have picked up a huge number of votes. (Sure they'll point to their record number they got this time - not to mention the power they wield in the senate, but how many more votes and lower house seats would they received if they were even remotely responsible when it comes to the economy).

2) 8 (i think) teal candidates all got voted in. This is a great win for them. But will it actually achieve anything? Sure, it sends a strong message that economically sensible climate policy is wanted by the electorate, not to mention the messaging around intelligent female candidates, but what real power do they have? Labor is likely to get a majority in their own right, and even if they just miss, there are so many on the cross bench that it won't take much to get things through the lower house without needing to turn to the teals. So, how do the teal's get their policies in?

3) The biggest question, what does economically responsible climate policy look like?

How much of their vote was from climate change and how much from just being an independent?
I voted for Steggall last election to get rid of Abbott. I didn't vote for her this time.
I suspect there are a lot of young people who have voted for them due to CC but older people just liked an independent
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon May 23, 2022 1:24 pm

First time Greens voter (runs for cover)
Safest Labor state in the country but the guy is a massive **** wit, wasn’t going to vote Libs and the other options were some idiot from the Fish & Chip shop mole’s party, the Greens or some other whack job party
Jim05
Coach

Postby cracka » Mon May 23, 2022 2:31 pm

Trader wrote:
RB wrote:

Will be interesting to see if the green's learn their lesson from last time.

They could have had a real climate policy in place back when Rudd proposed it, but they said it didn't go far enough, blocked it, and 10 years on we still have nothing of note.

Will they be more reasonable this time round? Or will they once again push for crazy targets and say to hell with anything that gets in their way?

Being the crazy idealists they are, it wouldn't shock me if they continue to want too much.

Or like when they made Julia put in the Carbon Tax. Was repealed (popularly) by Abbott at the next election & taken 10 years since trying to get rid of the dodgy Coalition
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 457 times
Been liked: 559 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Next

Board index   General Talk  Politics