Things that make you sad.

Anything!

Re: Things that make you sad.

Postby whufc » Wed May 11, 2022 3:06 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Being a parent is by far the most challenging job we will ever do in our lives, there's the highlights, the proud dad moments and then there's the despair, the f*** ups they do and and the heartache they feel.

I've learnt to be a pretty resilient strong minded person but when it comes to my kids it really tests me, not at the time but when I reflect on situations by myself.

Having my son come home and wake me up at midnight to tell me of one of his best mates passing away in a motorcycle crash has ripped me apart, the world just isn't fair and we are just a part of the domino effect, there's a mother who's son didn't come home for dinner last night.

My lad went and seen the mum and family last night, truly devastating.

My two girls and son always finish our convo with "love you", it makes me smile and feel so lucky every time.

That's horrible LM

My lad left home at 4am this morning to head North of Leigh Creek on Operation Flinders for the next 8 days, been tracking his snap maps as he travelled up there this morning and he is now officially offline for that period, it will be awesome for him and I know he will have a great time, but not being able to reach out to him, even a quick message, for the next week is going to be bloody tough!

Let me know how your son finds Operation Flinders, a close family friends of ours is the 'Honorary Medical Officer' for the program and lives and breathes it.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Wedgie » Wed May 11, 2022 3:21 pm

Is Jono Robran still involved with Operation Flinders? Barrie told me many years ago about his role in it and how proud he was of Jono's involvement.

My daughter volunteered for the Red Dust project and ended up in a community called Kintore which literally was in the middle of nowhere on the NT/WA border west of Alice. Never been worried about her though, she is very independent and has been all over the world by herself and with others. I'd be more likely to get in trouble than she would. :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Dutchy » Wed May 11, 2022 3:53 pm

Dunno much about it so will wait until he returns to report on it, but it used to be for troubled teens but they have expanded it so schools can nominate kids who they believe will benefit, small group of 10 from his school have gone up.

Not sure where the funding for it comes from, we just had to get him decked out to walk 100kms over the week, they supply the backpack, food, support etc, they even supply a new sleeping bag and he gets to keep it.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby whufc » Wed May 11, 2022 5:01 pm

Dutchy wrote:Dunno much about it so will wait until he returns to report on it, but it used to be for troubled teens but they have expanded it so schools can nominate kids who they believe will benefit, small group of 10 from his school have gone up.

Not sure where the funding for it comes from, we just had to get him decked out to walk 100kms over the week, they supply the backpack, food, support etc, they even supply a new sleeping bag and he gets to keep it.

A lot of fundraisers, sponsors in particular in kind, I know the doctor we know donates his time on the camp along with other doctors. Probably would have some government and grant funding.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby DOC » Sun May 15, 2022 10:42 pm

Wedgie wrote:Is Jono Robran still involved with Operation Flinders? Barrie told me many years ago about his role in it and how proud he was of Jono's involvement.

My daughter volunteered for the Red Dust project and ended up in a community called Kintore which literally was in the middle of nowhere on the NT/WA border west of Alice. Never been worried about her though, she is very independent and has been all over the world by herself and with others. I'd be more likely to get in trouble than she would. :lol:

Jonathon is there. The current CEO is former Sturt player David Wark.

A very worthy and well respected organisation.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun May 15, 2022 11:08 pm

DOC wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Is Jono Robran still involved with Operation Flinders? Barrie told me many years ago about his role in it and how proud he was of Jono's involvement.

Jonathon is there. The current CEO is former Sturt player David Wark.

A very worthy and well respected organisation.

Cool, it would be. Warky is an awesome guy and would do an awesome job,
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby JK » Mon May 16, 2022 11:32 am

Losing an ex-teammate and mate to cancer far too young, thankfully managed to catch up with him about a month ago. The kicks to the gut in 2022 keep rolling in, if ever there was a year I couldn't wait to see the back of.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2984 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Wed May 25, 2022 8:01 am

18yo shoots and kills 14 students and 1 teacher in an Elementary School in Texas. Heard on the radio that the kids were as young as 7 :cry:
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1206 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby gazzamagoo » Wed May 25, 2022 8:38 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:18yo shoots and kills 14 students and 1 teacher in an Elementary School in Texas. Heard on the radio that the kids were as young as 7 :cry:

I think we need to finally accept that we can't do anything about what people in other countries think & do, we'll never change Americans mind sets, when it comes to guns, it's ingrained into their society, to them it's almost a law to have a weapon.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed May 25, 2022 8:47 am

gazzamagoo wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:18yo shoots and kills 14 students and 1 teacher in an Elementary School in Texas. Heard on the radio that the kids were as young as 7 :cry:

I think we need to finally accept that we can't do anything about what people in other countries think & do, we'll never change Americans mind sets, when it comes to guns, it's ingrained into their society, to them it's almost a law to have a weapon.

When they have a "Guns don't kill people, people with guns kill people" attitude, we have no hope but to accept these continual tragedies.

How crazy that you can go into a shop, by a glock, a carton of beer and some dingers all at the same time?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby heater31 » Wed May 25, 2022 8:58 am

This ******* stupidity makes my blood boil and me less inclined to visit said country with such poor regulations around a very dangerous item.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Wed May 25, 2022 9:01 am

Apparently there are more guns than people in the US.
Why don't they at least TRY to implement gun control & see how it pans out.
If it doesn't work for them, then they can go back to their mass-murdering ways.
What do they have to lose!!
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby Booney » Wed May 25, 2022 9:05 am

The Congressman who presides over the place where this happened lamented in 2017 that the area was well below the average US city when it came to buying new guns and urged locals to get down to the shop and buy more.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Booney » Wed May 25, 2022 9:06 am

gazzamagoo wrote:Apparently there are more guns than people in the US.
If it doesn't work for them, then they can go back to their mass-murdering ways.

The NRA own more congressmen and women than Murdoch owns journalists.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby gazzamagoo » Wed May 25, 2022 9:20 am

Booney wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:Apparently there are more guns than people in the US.

The NRA own more congressmen and women than Murdoch owns journalists.

Someone should shoot them! :D :D
How ironic would that be!
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby am Bays » Wed May 25, 2022 9:41 am

Worse of there's a tiny minority in the US that think Sandy Hook was just a conspiracy to "tek mah guns"

'Mericans :roll:
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby am Bays » Wed May 25, 2022 9:43 am

:shock: :(
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Booney » Wed May 25, 2022 10:22 am

Just read a series of tweets where a Dad tells of his kindergarten kid being in a class with a rotating seating plan.

To cut it short, because it makes me physically ill, kids get moved from the front to the back and vice versa as they basically take turns being the first to be killed if something happens. :(
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed May 25, 2022 10:24 am

Booney wrote:Just read a series of tweets where a Dad tells of his kindergarten kid being in a class with a rotating seating plan.

To cut it short, because it makes me physically ill, kids get moved from the front to the back and vice versa as they basically take turns being the first to be killed if something happens. :(

Surely not??
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Wed May 25, 2022 10:34 am

am Bays wrote:Image

:shock: :(

Is this in Columbia?
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5