I need to know....

Anything!

Re: I need to know....

Postby Wedgie » Tue May 31, 2022 3:53 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Sorry to hear that LM but as you said she's learnt a valuable lesson.
It's a pity she didn't work in hospitality where most managers are happy to help staff go elsewhere as they know how shit hospitality is themselves! :lol:

Yeah, I'm hearing ya, the eldest daughter has been an event manager previously and they get the raw end of the stick for sure, always a big turnover with staff at many of them too. The Reepham always seems to be a stepping stone for many young ones who move on to bigger and better things, they have an absolute gem working there atm most busy times.

My company doesn't help things moving managers around too.
I have one shift left but have been at the one pub 4 years and 4 months and have had 10 different managers! :shock:
There will only be 2 people there who have been there longer than me too.
At least if I ever wanted a reference I had plenty of choices! :lol:
User avatar
Wedgie
Site Admin
 
 
Posts: 48903
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:00 am
Has liked: 1645 times
Been liked: 3468 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Re: I need to know....

Postby Booney » Tue May 31, 2022 4:11 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Sorry to hear that LM but as you said she's learnt a valuable lesson.
It's a pity she didn't work in hospitality where most managers are happy to help staff go elsewhere as they know how shit hospitality is themselves! :lol:

Yeah, I'm hearing ya, the eldest daughter has been an event manager previously and they get the raw end of the stick for sure, always a big turnover with staff at many of them too. The Reepham always seems to be a stepping stone for many young ones who move on to bigger and better things, they have an absolute gem working there atm most busy times.

My company doesn't help things moving managers around too.
I have one shift left but have been at the one pub 4 years and 4 months and have had 10 different managers! :shock:
There will only be 2 people there who have been there longer than me too.
At least if I ever wanted a reference I had plenty of choices! :lol:


They send all the happy ones to the Hendon.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
User avatar
Booney
Coach
 
 
Posts: 54257
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:47 pm
Location: Alberton proud
Has liked: 6421 times
Been liked: 9518 times

Re: I need to know....

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:10 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Miss 19 Y.O daughter messages me in a tither, she has applied for a new job and has had two interviews and got an email today requesting a number of a recent employment referee.

She has become a manager where she works and hasn't told them that she was looking elsewhere, she wasn't really but a job came up and she was asked to apply.

I said to here to just speak to a manager that you get along well with from a different department and point out the sensitivity of the the call to your prospective new HR officer, does this sound like the right advice?

Her manager found out last Thursday and demoted her from 2IC and from managing over the weekends like she has done for the past 18 months.

She got the job.

I'm going to get to have lunch with my little girl every day, pretty excited is an understatement.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 47823
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 3913 times
Been liked: 6925 times

Re: I need to know....

Postby DOC » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:38 pm

At the same place or nearby? Work I mean.
User avatar
DOC
Coach
 
 
Posts: 14818
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:15 pm
Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 1603 times

Re: I need to know....

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:38 pm

DOC wrote:At the same place or nearby? Work I mean.

At the same place, her desk will be about 10 metres from my office, it was all her doing.

I do get $1000 finders fee though :D
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 47823
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 3913 times
Been liked: 6925 times

Re: I need to know....

Postby stan » Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:56 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
stan wrote:As disappointing as that might be for her, that's a great life lesson she has learnt at 19. Some employers, not all and particularly some mangers will make life hard for you if you are leaving.

I just had a conversation with a young grad at my as he is applying for another job and explaining to him that although I have no issue with this, his manger is not going to take this well. And I have encouraged him to embrace the fall out.

In fairness, his manager is a fickwhitt so this is all expected.

Yes, it’s unfortunate that all integrity must go out the window, like she was going to stay in retail for ever, she was going to uni studying two disciplines of accountancy on top of working 30+ hours a week, a lot of weekends too, they shat on her just after she turned 18 as well.

It appears as though she has the new job anyway, it’s for a worldwide manufacturing company in a role that suits her and offers growth within the business, should find out all the final details today when she knocks off.
Overall I would say that's a good result.

The experienced gained from what can happen when you leave a place and then getting the new job.

It's fair to say in life she will need stop for through this again and now she knows what can happen.

It's all important, what happened at the place she worked at wasn't right at all, however it happens and you need to understand what happens.

Sounds like all has ended well which is great to hear.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
User avatar
stan
Coach
 
 
Posts: 14556
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:53 am
Location: North Eastern Suburbs
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1150 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Re: I need to know....

Postby FlyingHigh » Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:58 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
stan wrote:As disappointing as that might be for her, that's a great life lesson she has learnt at 19. Some employers, not all and particularly some mangers will make life hard for you if you are leaving.

I just had a conversation with a young grad at my as he is applying for another job and explaining to him that although I have no issue with this, his manger is not going to take this well. And I have encouraged him to embrace the fall out.

In fairness, his manager is a fickwhitt so this is all expected.

Yes, it’s unfortunate that all integrity must go out the window, like she was going to stay in retail for ever, she was going to uni studying two disciplines of accountancy on top of working 30+ hours a week, a lot of weekends too, they shat on her just after she turned 18 as well.

It appears as though she has the new job anyway, it’s for a worldwide manufacturing company in a role that suits her and offers growth within the business, should find out all the final details today when she knocks off.


All you can do is be honest with your manager/employer, which admittedly can be daunting for a young person in such a situation. If they can't appreciate that, then it's a reflection on them.

But I can give a couple of examples from our work which show why managers, employers, HR sometimes get shitty.
We were going to employee someone from a handful we'd interviewed, doing reference checks, a bloke here called called her current manager who hadn't even been asked to be a referee, let alone know this lady was being interviewed for another job.
Similarly we had some who left who, unfortunately, just wasn't up to what was required. A few months later we got a call saying so-and-so said he had previously worked there and to give them a call, without his manager ever offering, or being asked, to be a referee.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:12 am
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 134 times

Re: I need to know....

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:38 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:
All you can do is be honest with your manager/employer, which admittedly can be daunting for a young person in such a situation. If they can't appreciate that, then it's a reflection on them.

But I can give a couple of examples from our work which show why managers, employers, HR sometimes get shitty.
We were going to employee someone from a handful we'd interviewed, doing reference checks, a bloke here called called her current manager who hadn't even been asked to be a referee, let alone know this lady was being interviewed for another job.
Similarly we had some who left who, unfortunately, just wasn't up to what was required. A few months later we got a call saying so-and-so said he had previously worked there and to give them a call, without his manager ever offering, or being asked, to be a referee.


That is a key error, I often have to do character references for people for various reasons, if they don't give me the heads up prior it's quite redundant as I won't know how to relate my relationship with them to what they are needing a reference for.

I've had calls for people I haven't seen or heard from for over 10 years.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 47823
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 3913 times
Been liked: 6925 times

Re: I need to know....

Postby tipper » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:28 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:
All you can do is be honest with your manager/employer, which admittedly can be daunting for a young person in such a situation. If they can't appreciate that, then it's a reflection on them.

But I can give a couple of examples from our work which show why managers, employers, HR sometimes get shitty.
We were going to employee someone from a handful we'd interviewed, doing reference checks, a bloke here called called her current manager who hadn't even been asked to be a referee, let alone know this lady was being interviewed for another job.
Similarly we had some who left who, unfortunately, just wasn't up to what was required. A few months later we got a call saying so-and-so said he had previously worked there and to give them a call, without his manager ever offering, or being asked, to be a referee.


That is a key error, I often have to do character references for people for various reasons, if they don't give me the heads up prior it's quite redundant as I won't know how to relate my relationship with them to what they are needing a reference for.

I've had calls for people I haven't seen or heard from for over 10 years.


so your saying i should take you off my resume then?
tipper
League - Top 5
 
 
Posts: 2795
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:45 am
Has liked: 358 times
Been liked: 485 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Re: I need to know....

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:39 pm

tipper wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
That is a key error, I often have to do character references for people for various reasons, if they don't give me the heads up prior it's quite redundant as I won't know how to relate my relationship with them to what they are needing a reference for.

I've had calls for people I haven't seen or heard from for over 10 years.


so your saying i should take you off my resume then?

Not at all, the last bloke that asked about you was most impressed when I told him that you were the 3rd best dildo tester we've ever had.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 47823
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 3913 times
Been liked: 6925 times

Re: I need to know....

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:41 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
tipper wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
That is a key error, I often have to do character references for people for various reasons, if they don't give me the heads up prior it's quite redundant as I won't know how to relate my relationship with them to what they are needing a reference for.

I've had calls for people I haven't seen or heard from for over 10 years.


so your saying i should take you off my resume then?

Not at all, the last bloke that asked about you was most impressed when I told him that you were the 3rd best dildo tester we've ever had.


The other 2 must have been outstanding!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
User avatar
amber_fluid
Coach
 
 
Posts: 11225
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 10:18 am
Has liked: 1942 times
Been liked: 2140 times

Re: I need to know....

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:43 pm

"He left a hole that we've struggled to fill" wasn't the best answer though, was it?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
User avatar
Booney
Coach
 
 
Posts: 54257
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:47 pm
Location: Alberton proud
Has liked: 6421 times
Been liked: 9518 times

Re: I need to know....

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:45 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Not at all, the last bloke that asked about you was most impressed when I told him that you were the 3rd best dildo tester we've ever had.


The other 2 must have been outstanding!


My picture aint on the wall for nothing mate, chipped a few teeth along the way though.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 47823
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 3913 times
Been liked: 6925 times

Re: I need to know....

Postby tipper » Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:44 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
tipper wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
That is a key error, I often have to do character references for people for various reasons, if they don't give me the heads up prior it's quite redundant as I won't know how to relate my relationship with them to what they are needing a reference for.

I've had calls for people I haven't seen or heard from for over 10 years.


so your saying i should take you off my resume then?

Not at all, the last bloke that asked about you was most impressed when I told him that you were the 3rd best dildo tester we've ever had.


wow. i exected a good reply. but ill be honest, i didnt see that twist ahead of time.

funniest shit ive read in a long time :lol:
tipper
League - Top 5
 
 
Posts: 2795
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:45 am
Has liked: 358 times
Been liked: 485 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Re: I need to know....

Postby RB » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:46 pm

What is a 'people mapping meeting'?
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
User avatar
RB
Assistant Coach
 
Posts: 4866
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:45 pm
Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 840 times

Re: I need to know....

Postby MW » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:52 pm

RB wrote:What is a 'people mapping meeting'?


I'd guess its restructuring of some sort
MW
Coach
 
 
Posts: 11829
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:55 pm
Has liked: 2191 times
Been liked: 1566 times

Re: I need to know....

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:16 pm

RB wrote:What is a 'people mapping meeting'?


For mine it would be where I tell my boss where I'd like to be in 5 years time, they will train me to develop the skill set to get there, in some instances some people's goals are to move to other departments so they will need to take the steps gradually.

Mine is now simple, I want to be the GM at our Gold Coast site, I'm hoping to move there in just over two years and then go from their, in the interim I'll take on whatever training I can get to have me ready for it, I do realize I won't get the main job when I move there but it is on my radar.

At times I was part of a production/planning team but I had my mind set on sales so they trained me internally for me to make the transition.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 47823
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 3913 times
Been liked: 6925 times

Re: I need to know....

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:24 pm

RB wrote:What is a 'people mapping meeting'?

Someone misspelt fapping.
User avatar
Wedgie
Site Admin
 
 
Posts: 48903
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:00 am
Has liked: 1645 times
Been liked: 3468 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Re: I need to know....

Postby whufc » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:16 am

Having a second crack at heading to Broken Hill after Covid stopped our last attempt. Neither me or the misses have been there before and to be honest apart from the fact we will be seeing good friends im really not looking to the place.

Is there anywhere to stop on the drive that's worthwhile...…….we have a 4 year old with us so wouldn't mind breaking the trip up with a half an hour stop somewhere. On the map it looks pretty baron though :lol:
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
User avatar
whufc
Coach
 
 
Posts: 24838
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:56 am
Location: Blakeview
Has liked: 4669 times
Been liked: 2048 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Re: I need to know....

Postby mickey » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:31 am

whufc wrote:Having a second crack at heading to Broken Hill after Covid stopped our last attempt. Neither me or the misses have been there before and to be honest apart from the fact we will be seeing good friends im really not looking to the place.

Is there anywhere to stop on the drive that's worthwhile...…….we have a 4 year old with us so wouldn't mind breaking the trip up with a half an hour stop somewhere. On the map it looks pretty baron though [emoji38]
When we go we usually stop at Burra and Yunta. Mainly for food and fuel. Alternatively if we're not in a hurry we take the long way and go through Mildura

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
User avatar
mickey
Coach
 
 
Posts: 5522
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: Playing Poker
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 242 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests