SANFL 2022 Season

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL 2022 Season

Postby Mr Fuller » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:56 pm

Jim05 wrote:Zane Williams to the Cats


What a ridiculous selection by Geelong when they have got Stengle going great guns.
Mr Fuller
Reserves
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:16 pm
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 115 times

Re: SANFL 2022 Season

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:59 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Zane Williams to the Cats


What a ridiculous selection by Geelong when they have got Stengle going great guns.

Agrees, this draft is a farce.
They need a ruck so they choose a small forward when they have Close, Stengle, Miers, etc but it doesn't hurt the AFL side only the SANFL side.
Could be worse like Glenelg have with a player in an opposition side in the same comp.
User avatar
Wedgie
Site Admin
 
 
Posts: 48530
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:00 am
Has liked: 1592 times
Been liked: 3411 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Re: SANFL 2022 Season

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:00 pm

Surprised Ballenden didn’t get picked up.
Thought there would be 6-8 selected from the SANFL. Only bonus is that only 1 is playing for one of the local sides
Jim05
Coach
 
 
Posts: 45101
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:03 pm
Has liked: 1116 times
Been liked: 3116 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Re: SANFL 2022 Season

Postby Armchair expert » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:05 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Mr Fuller wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Zane Williams to the Cats


What a ridiculous selection by Geelong when they have got Stengle going great guns.

Agrees, this draft is a farce.
They need a ruck so they choose a small forward when they have Close, Stengle, Miers, etc but it doesn't hurt the AFL side only the SANFL side.
Could be worse like Glenelg have with a player in an opposition side in the same comp.


6ft is classified as a small forward, crazy times
User avatar
Armchair expert
Coach
 
 
Posts: 6412
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 9:18 am
Has liked: 302 times
Been liked: 789 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Re: SANFL 2022 Season

Postby Mr Fuller » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:09 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Mr Fuller wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Zane Williams to the Cats


What a ridiculous selection by Geelong when they have got Stengle going great guns.

Agrees, this draft is a farce.
They need a ruck so they choose a small forward when they have Close, Stengle, Miers, etc but it doesn't hurt the AFL side only the SANFL side.
Could be worse like Glenelg have with a player in an opposition side in the same comp.


Happy for the kid but in all honestly he will be stuck in their VFL steam for the duration of his contract. Reckon he would have been better off playing in the SANFL for the rest of the year, really cementing his spot as a top tier small forward and having a crack at the draft next season where he won't be playing second fiddle to a team with an already established set of small forwards.
Mr Fuller
Reserves
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:16 pm
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 115 times

Re: SANFL 2022 Season

Postby Fluffbag » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:16 pm

I don’t know if this is a dumb idea but make it you can only select a player from your SANFL/WAFL/VFL team in the mid season draft so no other teams are impacted.
Fluffbag
Rookie
 
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:24 pm
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 48 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Re: SANFL 2022 Season

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:17 pm

Fluffbag wrote:I don’t know if this is a dumb idea but make it you can only select a player from your SANFL/WAFL/VFL team in the mid season draft so no other teams are impacted.

Common sense and fairness, eh?
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
User avatar
PatowalongaPirate
Assistant Coach
 
 
Posts: 4208
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:31 am
Location: Tiger Land
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 967 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Re: SANFL 2022 Season

Postby DOC » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:20 pm

Jim05 wrote:Surprised Ballenden didn’t get picked up.
Thought there would be 6-8 selected from the SANFL. Only bonus is that only 1 is playing for one of the local sides


He nominated for (and the only one to do it) a higher contract money wise. Seven nominated for longer terms, Bauer from North being one of them.
User avatar
DOC
Coach
 
 
Posts: 14634
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:15 pm
Has liked: 484 times
Been liked: 1582 times

Re: SANFL 2022 Season

Postby Hopeful Jelly » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:31 pm

Jim05 wrote:Surprised Ballenden didn’t get picked up.

In hindsight being well beaten by Reilly O'Brien two weeks ago meant he wasn't going to be selected solely as a ruckman, which seems to be what some teams are looking for in the MSD.
Has only really played 2 games as a CHF/second ruckman this season. Still arguably better than players like Himmelberg, etc that have had this role in AFL teams this year though.
Hopeful Jelly
Under 16s
 
 
Posts: 310
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 4:41 pm
Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 11 times

Re: SANFL 2022 Season

Postby Blacky » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:33 pm

So Westies lose one
Plus 2 former Westies player's
And we can't win a game
FFS
Current image:
Maximum dimensions; width: 100 pixels, height: 100 pixels, file size: 20.51 KiB
The avatar functionality is currently DISABLED.
Blacky
Reserves
 
 
Posts: 910
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:31 pm
Location: Front bar at WESTIES
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 30 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Re: SANFL 2022 Season

Postby Spargo » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:42 pm

Blacky wrote:So Westies lose one
Plus 2 former Westies player's
And we can't win a game
FFS

The “2 former Westies players” comment is irrelevant & a bit funny.
Glenelg paid 2 x $25k transfer fees to West for Turner & Durdin & get 2 x $10k compensation today.
We lose the best defender in the comp & a top line mid fielder & also lose $30k. Seems fair :lol:
Just remember you lowballed Turner.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach
 
 
Posts: 14205
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:42 pm
Location: Printing the t-shirts
Has liked: 4527 times
Been liked: 4433 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Re: SANFL 2022 Season

Postby Aerie » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:56 pm

Geelong are usually pretty switched on. Zane Williams has been a bit of a slow burn - but was stuck behind Rowe and then Stengle the last two seasons. He’s got plenty of class and knows where the goals are. Give him a couple of pre-seasons at AFL level and he’s the right age to step in and be a very good AFL player when Geelong’s older brigade are coming to an end. A long term pick for Geelong I think and he has the attributes to play elsewhere than just a small forward role after some more development.

From an Eagles point of view - very glad to keep Ballenden and glad to see Williams get an opportunity.
User avatar
Aerie
Coach
 
 
Posts: 5294
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:05 am
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 386 times

Re: SANFL 2022 Season

Postby Aerie » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:58 pm

Spargo wrote:
Blacky wrote:So Westies lose one
Plus 2 former Westies player's
And we can't win a game
FFS

The “2 former Westies players” comment is irrelevant & a bit funny.
Glenelg paid 2 x $25k transfer fees to West for Turner & Durdin & get 2 x $10k compensation today.
We lose the best defender in the comp & a top line mid fielder & also lose $30k. Seems fair :lol:
Just remember you lowballed Turner.

Best defender in the comp? Now that’s funny!
User avatar
Aerie
Coach
 
 
Posts: 5294
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:05 am
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 386 times

Re: SANFL 2022 Season

Postby Spargo » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:04 pm

Aerie wrote:
Spargo wrote:
Blacky wrote:So Westies lose one
Plus 2 former Westies player's
And we can't win a game
FFS

The “2 former Westies players” comment is irrelevant & a bit funny.
Glenelg paid 2 x $25k transfer fees to West for Turner & Durdin & get 2 x $10k compensation today.
We lose the best defender in the comp & a top line mid fielder & also lose $30k. Seems fair :lol:
Just remember you lowballed Turner.

Best defender in the comp? Now that’s funny!

Give me an alternative, not a piss weak comment.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach
 
 
Posts: 14205
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:42 pm
Location: Printing the t-shirts
Has liked: 4527 times
Been liked: 4433 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Re: SANFL 2022 Season

Postby Blacky » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:34 pm

We didn't get a fee for durdin he came from north Melbourne
Turner went to Glenelg chasing money
Good luck to them
Current image:
Maximum dimensions; width: 100 pixels, height: 100 pixels, file size: 20.51 KiB
The avatar functionality is currently DISABLED.
Blacky
Reserves
 
 
Posts: 910
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:31 pm
Location: Front bar at WESTIES
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 30 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Re: SANFL 2022 Season

Postby Dogs64 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:37 pm

Pity South lost a player, otherwise it would have been all the AFL "yes" clubs.
Dogs64
Under 16s
 
 
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:11 am
Has liked: 187 times
Been liked: 134 times

Re: SANFL 2022 Season

Postby Spargo » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:40 pm

Blacky wrote:We didn't get a fee for durdin he came from north Melbourne
Turner went to Glenelg chasing money
Good luck to them

Mate, we didn’t pay North Melbourne a $25k transfer fee for Durdin.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach
 
 
Posts: 14205
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:42 pm
Location: Printing the t-shirts
Has liked: 4527 times
Been liked: 4433 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Re: SANFL 2022 Season

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:45 pm

Aerie wrote:Geelong are usually pretty switched on. Zane Williams has been a bit of a slow burn - but was stuck behind Rowe and then Stengle the last two seasons. He’s got plenty of class and knows where the goals are. Give him a couple of pre-seasons at AFL level and he’s the right age to step in and be a very good AFL player when Geelong’s older brigade are coming to an end. A long term pick for Geelong I think and he has the attributes to play elsewhere than just a small forward role after some more development.

From an Eagles point of view - very glad to keep Ballenden and glad to see Williams get an opportunity.

This is the thing that shits me, the mid season draft was brought in to help teams fill a stop gap they're struggling with straight away.
There's no way Williams will get into Geelongs team this year and possibly next outside something extraordinary happening.
Geelong has so many forwards they're playing some down back!
If they'd recruited a ruckman I'd say fair enough.
The AFL need to readdress the MSD but I doubt they care enough to bother.
User avatar
Wedgie
Site Admin
 
 
Posts: 48530
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:00 am
Has liked: 1592 times
Been liked: 3411 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Re: SANFL 2022 Season

Postby Blacky » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:51 pm

Spargo wrote:
Blacky wrote:We didn't get a fee for durdin he came from north Melbourne
Turner went to Glenelg chasing money
Good luck to them

Mate, we didn’t pay North Melbourne a $25k transfer fee for Durdin.

what i am saying is you didn't give westies 25k
Current image:
Maximum dimensions; width: 100 pixels, height: 100 pixels, file size: 20.51 KiB
The avatar functionality is currently DISABLED.
Blacky
Reserves
 
 
Posts: 910
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:31 pm
Location: Front bar at WESTIES
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 30 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Re: SANFL 2022 Season

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:00 pm

Congrats to Brett, 2 years ago he was putting solar on my roof! :lol:
User avatar
Dutchy
Site Admin
 
 
Posts: 42539
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:24 am
Location: Location, Location
Has liked: 1875 times
Been liked: 2853 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests