Port Adelaide 2022

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2022

Postby Booney » Wed May 25, 2022 10:14 am

Brodlach wrote:Isn’t he contracted for another year or two?

To the end of 2023.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed May 25, 2022 10:17 am

Hinkley came to Port Adel in a tough time and was able to turn it around and sell the product to the fans. Whilst they haven't had the ultimate glory / success, I don't think his impact should be downplayed - he could be exactly what GWS need for the short term.

Port have reached a point where they need a new person to take them that last step, GWS need that person who can build them some stability and consistency.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Booney » Wed May 25, 2022 10:21 am

The Bedge wrote:Hinkley came to Port Adel in a tough time and was able to turn it around and sell the product to the fans. Whilst they haven't had the ultimate glory / success, I don't think his impact should be downplayed - he could be exactly what GWS need for the short term.

Port have reached a point where they need a new person to take them that last step, GWS need that person who can build them some stability and consistency.

Mate, making preliminary finals is easy, don't you know that? :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed May 25, 2022 10:24 am

The Bedge wrote:Hinkley came to Port Adel in a tough time and was able to turn it around and sell the product to the fans. Whilst they haven't had the ultimate glory / success, I don't think his impact should be downplayed - he could be exactly what GWS need for the short term.

The old saying rings true.

'If you leave the place in a better position it was before you were there then you have done a good job' It's fair to say Hinkley leaves Port is a much much much better place than it was when started.

If the next coach can do the same then they will probably have a premiership to their name.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed May 25, 2022 10:40 am

whufc wrote:

The old saying rings true.

'If you leave the place in a better position it was before you were there then you have done a good job' It's fair to say Hinkley leaves Port is a much much much better place than it was when started.

If the next coach can do the same then they will probably have a premiership to their name.

Mate, he took us from the backyard into the laundry. We should've had the the front and centre recliner.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed May 25, 2022 11:09 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Mate, he took us from the backyard into the laundry. We should've had the the front and centre recliner.

My recollection of PAFC before Hinkley must be different to yours.

I would say he took the club from a cardboard box in the parklands to an actual house.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Booney » Tue May 31, 2022 1:00 pm

Stormy weather loomed over Adelaide Oval as the struggling Bombers made their way to town to take on Port Adelaide on a gloomy Sunday afternoon. All week the forecast was for rain to hit the ground at some stage during the game and that it did at half time but not before the Power took advantage of the fine conditions to build a strong lead and ultimately hold on to a 16 point win over Essendon.

The game started on Essendon’s terms, for the first time Port Adelaide rookie ruckman Sam Hayes was really taken to task early in the contest as big ginger Andrew Phillips used his ample frame to give the Bombers midfield first look at the ball in centre clearances winning all 5 for the quarter and an amazing 12 of 14 in the term. Hayes has had a go, particularly early in the contest only to fade later in games, he was however soundly beaten in the first half on Sunday. What happened from here though as Essendon pushed forward was Port’s back line took control of the ground balls across half back and at times resembling a training drill easily transitioned through the Bombers “zone”, I’m hesitant to call it a zone as at no point did they truly structure up to see what they were trying to do defensively. Many of those ground balls were on the back of the Bombers going to Peter Wright time after time, Tom Clurey had his measure and created opportunities for the smalls to take the ball out of the back half. With a 20 point ¼ time lead it looked as though the rain forecast was going to be goals at Port’s end. It wasn’t as though the Bombers had no chances though, 0.6 for the term.

When Dixon kicked his second early in the second to soon be followed by Marshall and Motlop the margin was out to a game high 36 points and the dark clouds over the Bombers season were rolling in from the West. Phillips had the first major for the visitors to assert his dominance in the ruck and McGrath added a major to make it a 31 point half time lead to Port Adelaide. Again the Bombers missed some shots on goal, 2.3 to Ports 4.2 evened the game up but as the clouds rolled in at half time the Aus Kickers turned into mud larks as the first of several heavy showers hit the city. The game was going to be about the contest now and with Essendon well on top in clearances there’s no surprises as to what happened next. Port’s efficiency in the fine weather was the difference up to half time converting 40 percent of forward 50 entries into goals to Essendon’s 7 percent. It was now about the contest and Essendon had the advantage.

In the wet this was going to be how the game was won or lost and so it continued after half time, somewhat alarmingly so for Port Adelaide as Essendon completely dominated the slippery third term with 4 goals to 1 and in reality it should have been more and Port quickly had to change the way they were playing. Handball and run happy to start the game it was now about gaining territory and getting the wet pill on the boot, not until the 25th minute mark when one of the surprise packets for Port this year, Trent Dumont goaled, did Port look like hitting the board. The Dons had won contested possession 43 to 26 for the quarter and Hinkley rightly made his way to the huddle at ¾ time with some advice for the group. Clear advice. Get the ball on the boot, pressure the exit from Essendon’s back half and don’t allow the ball to get behind you. It meant the game was going to become really dour. Nobody knew just how so.

Whilst the contest evened up in the last term both sides went goalless in what can only be described as rubbish football to watch from two teams that won’t be threatening those at the top of the table. It was about the 1%ers as they call them and Aliir led all comers with 10 for the game and along with Clurey held the Bombers at bay in the air and on the ground allowing just 12 marks inside 50 to Ports 17 and ultimately it was how the game was decided. Port marked in good positions inside 50 to make the most of their forward thrusts, early on the back of very little defence where the Bombers were either pushed far and wide ( 5 of those inside 50 marks were outside 40m from goal ) or were forced into ground ball gets under pressure.

Boon’s best – Wines, Rozee, Houston, Boak, Butters, Clurey
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby David Brent » Tue May 31, 2022 1:25 pm

Booney wrote:Stormy weather loomed over Adelaide Oval as the struggling Bombers made their way to town to take on Port Adelaide on a gloomy Sunday afternoon. All week the forecast was for rain to hit the ground at some stage during the game and that it did at half time but not before the Power took advantage of the fine conditions to build a strong lead and ultimately hold on to a 16 point win over Essendon.

The game started on Essendon’s terms, for the first time Port Adelaide rookie ruckman Sam Hayes was really taken to task early in the contest as big ginger Andrew Phillips used his ample frame to give the Bombers midfield first look at the ball in centre clearances winning all 5 for the quarter and an amazing 12 of 14 in the term. Hayes has had a go, particularly early in the contest only to fade later in games, he was however soundly beaten in the first half on Sunday. What happened from here though as Essendon pushed forward was Port’s back line took control of the ground balls across half back and at times resembling a training drill easily transitioned through the Bombers “zone”, I’m hesitant to call it a zone as at no point did they truly structure up to see what they were trying to do defensively. Many of those ground balls were on the back of the Bombers going to Peter Wright time after time, Tom Clurey had his measure and created opportunities for the smalls to take the ball out of the back half. With a 20 point ¼ time lead it looked as though the rain forecast was going to be goals at Port’s end. It wasn’t as though the Bombers had no chances though, 0.6 for the term.

When Dixon kicked his second early in the second to soon be followed by Marshall and Motlop the margin was out to a game high 36 points and the dark clouds over the Bombers season were rolling in from the West. Phillips had the first major for the visitors to assert his dominance in the ruck and McGrath added a major to make it a 31 point half time lead to Port Adelaide. Again the Bombers missed some shots on goal, 2.3 to Ports 4.2 evened the game up but as the clouds rolled in at half time the Aus Kickers turned into mud larks as the first of several heavy showers hit the city. The game was going to be about the contest now and with Essendon well on top in clearances there’s no surprises as to what happened next. Port’s efficiency in the fine weather was the difference up to half time converting 40 percent of forward 50 entries into goals to Essendon’s 7 percent. It was now about the contest and Essendon had the advantage.

In the wet this was going to be how the game was won or lost and so it continued after half time, somewhat alarmingly so for Port Adelaide as Essendon completely dominated the slippery third term with 4 goals to 1 and in reality it should have been more and Port quickly had to change the way they were playing. Handball and run happy to start the game it was now about gaining territory and getting the wet pill on the boot, not until the 25th minute mark when one of the surprise packets for Port this year, Trent Dumont goaled, did Port look like hitting the board. The Dons had won contested possession 43 to 26 for the quarter and Hinkley rightly made his way to the huddle at ¾ time with some advice for the group. Clear advice. Get the ball on the boot, pressure the exit from Essendon’s back half and don’t allow the ball to get behind you. It meant the game was going to become really dour. Nobody knew just how so.

Whilst the contest evened up in the last term both sides went goalless in what can only be described as rubbish football to watch from two teams that won’t be threatening those at the top of the table. It was about the 1%ers as they call them and Aliir led all comers with 10 for the game and along with Clurey held the Bombers at bay in the air and on the ground allowing just 12 marks inside 50 to Ports 17 and ultimately it was how the game was decided. Port marked in good positions inside 50 to make the most of their forward thrusts, early on the back of very little defence where the Bombers were either pushed far and wide ( 5 of those inside 50 marks were outside 40m from goal ) or were forced into ground ball gets under pressure.

Boon’s best – Wines, Rozee, Houston, Boak, Butters, Clurey

Boon do you agree with Kane in thinking Port really need another prime midfielder come the end of the year? From my small knowledge I think they need a good mid aged 23-25 to help Wines whilst Rozee & Butters merge into good mids over the next 2 years.

Who would you be chasing?

Not a big name but I reckon Worpell at the Hawks would attainable on the cheap, seems to have fallen out of favour under Mitchell.
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue May 31, 2022 1:27 pm

Can you see anyone pushing into the A's mate?
I watched the entire Magpies v Roosters game on SANFL now yesterday and only Georgiades looked capable of the step up, the cupboard looked pretty bare. Dursma and Frederick not up to it IMHO.
(Not a pot shit as my team is in a similar predicament having to bring in debutants often).
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2024 times
Been liked: 3868 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Tue May 31, 2022 1:36 pm

David Brent wrote:
Boon do you agree with Kane in thinking Port really need another prime midfielder come the end of the year? From my small knowledge I think they need a good mid aged 23-25 to help Wines whilst Rozee & Butters merge into good mids over the next 2 years.

Not a big name but I reckon Worpell at the Hawks would attainable on the cheap, seems to have fallen out of favour under Mitchell.

I don't know mate, I feel like there's enough there but the evidence suggests there isn't, do you chase inside mids or outside? Do you chase a goal kicking mid or a stopper? If we lose Amon does the target change?

If we did go looking for one I'd be chasing Hopper from GWS, he's a free agent at the end of next year and that's his last year on the contract he's on. If he's interested in a move then they'd get nothing for him next year, they'd be smart to trade him now while they get a return.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue May 31, 2022 1:43 pm

Wedgie wrote:Can you see anyone pushing into the A's mate?
I watched the entire Magpies v Roosters game on SANFL now yesterday and only Georgiades looked capable of the step up, the cupboard looked pretty bare. Dursma and Frederick not up to it IMHO.
(Not a pot shit as my team is in a similar predicament having to bring in debutants often).

Duursma isn't fit, hasn't been right all year since he copped the (broken) collar bone in round 1. Mead is up to it but plays inside so he's trying to push Wines and Drew out, hardly an easy task. Bergman had shoulder surgery in summer then spent a few nights in hospital with the flu a month back, he's the most likely to push in. Frederick has a go but is probably depth not starting 22, Williams isn't fit enough, not sure he's "clicked" with what it takes to play AFL football yet. Really like how Lord is coming along, Visentini has a crack and looks promising, Schofield and Burgoyne need another preseason at least.

On the injury list is Pasini who was cruelled at the wrong time with an ACL, he's a player, Skinner is KP defender depth, McKenzie comes back next week, Sinn in his first year is struggling with some groin issues.

Of those out or injured I'd say Bergman, Duursma, Pasini, McKenzie and Sinn should or could be in the side.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby David Brent » Tue May 31, 2022 5:57 pm

Booney wrote:
David Brent wrote:

I don't know mate, I feel like there's enough there but the evidence suggests there isn't, do you chase inside mids or outside? Do you chase a goal kicking mid or a stopper? If we lose Amon does the target change?

If we did go looking for one I'd be chasing Hopper from GWS, he's a free agent at the end of next year and that's his last year on the contract he's on. If he's interested in a move then they'd get nothing for him next year, they'd be smart to trade him now while they get a return.

I like Hopper too, reckon he would be a good fit for most teams. I've got a feeling my mob will be chasing one of he or Taranto. We loaded up on picks last year plus have decent picks to trade this year.
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:36 am

The Bedge wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Mate, he took us from the backyard into the laundry. We should've had the the front and centre recliner.

My recollection of PAFC before Hinkley must be different to yours.

I would say he took the club from a cardboard box in the parklands to an actual house.

And us idiots call him "cliché Kenny" :lol: :lol:
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:37 am

Oi, you're ripping off the X man a letter there mate, Duursma*
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:43 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Oi, you're ripping off the X man a letter there mate, Duursma*

It's only fair since he ripped off the bow and arrow celebration from Canberra's Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad. ;)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2024 times
Been liked: 3868 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:20 pm

David Brent wrote:
Booney wrote:
David Brent wrote:

I like Hopper too, reckon he would be a good fit for most teams. I've got a feeling my mob will be chasing one of he or Taranto. We loaded up on picks last year plus have decent picks to trade this year.

Ha!

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-mi ... b7a8de0465

According to AFL commentator Kane Cornes, the Power are short a midfielder and should be targeting a couple of GWS mids to add experience. Jacob Hopper and Tim Taranto are names that have been put forward.

SA Footy, where all good article start. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Vamos » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:18 am

Perryman would be a good acquisition if available. I like our pick in the mid season draft, adds some contingency if Hayes gets injured and Lycett doesn't come up.
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 345 times
Been liked: 456 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby DOC » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:07 am

I can't see Lycett playing again this year.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:22 am

DOC wrote:I can't see Lycett playing again this year.

Are you working every Saturday?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby DOC » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:33 am

Tv's broken.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times