I need to know....

Anything!

Re: I need to know....

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:07 am

whufc wrote:Having a second crack at heading to Broken Hill after Covid stopped our last attempt. Neither me or the misses have been there before and to be honest apart from the fact we will be seeing good friends im really not looking to the place.

Is there anywhere to stop on the drive that's worthwhile...…….we have a 4 year old with us so wouldn't mind breaking the trip up with a half an hour stop somewhere. On the map it looks pretty baron though :lol:

These two don't really go hand in hand, there's only one weekend per year that BH has any sort of appeal.

If you're travelling from your joint then you're pretty much shit out of options, if you were travelling from the city the better route would be via the Riverland with a stop at Monash for the kids, the community club does a decent lunch there and then another stop at Mildura to break the trip up, it will cost you an extra half hour travel time. It's too far out of the way if you're travelling from home, an extra two hours at least.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby whufc » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:31 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:Having a second crack at heading to Broken Hill after Covid stopped our last attempt. Neither me or the misses have been there before and to be honest apart from the fact we will be seeing good friends im really not looking to the place.

Is there anywhere to stop on the drive that's worthwhile...…….we have a 4 year old with us so wouldn't mind breaking the trip up with a half an hour stop somewhere. On the map it looks pretty baron though :lol:

These two don't really go hand in hand, there's only one weekend per year that BH has any sort of appeal.

If you're travelling from your joint then you're pretty much shit out of options, if you were travelling from the city the better route would be via the Riverland with a stop at Monash for the kids, the community club does a decent lunch there and then another stop at Mildura to break the trip up, it will cost you an extra half hour travel time. It's too far out of the way if you're travelling from home, an extra two hours at least.

Yeah looking at the maps going via Mildura turns a 4 hour trip into 7.5 hours.

It really doesn't matter if we don't stop on the way but would have been nice to let the little one stretch her legs and grab a bite to eat, whilst checking out somewhere we have never been.

I'm hoping this is one of those times where you really are not looking forward to something and then it turns out to be pretty decent. :lol:
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby helicopterking » Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:20 am

whufc wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

It really doesn't matter if we don't stop on the way but would have been nice to let the little one stretch her legs and grab a bite to eat, whilst checking out somewhere we have never been.

I'm hoping this is one of those times where you really are not looking forward to something and then it turns out to be pretty decent. :lol:

If you are going the other way, Fill up at Yunta because the next stop is Broken Hill 199km away.
Also, make sure you get up to see the Menindee lakes and surrounding areas, finally full, rare to see it like it is now.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 666 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:49 am

helicopterking wrote:
whufc wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Is there anywhere to stop on the drive that's worthwhile...…….we have a 4 year old with us so wouldn't mind breaking the trip up with a half an hour stop somewhere. On the map it looks pretty baron though [emoji38]

I'm hoping this is one of those times where you really are not looking forward to something and then it turns out to be pretty decent. [emoji38]

If you are going the other way, Fill up at Yunta because the next stop is Broken Hill 199km away.
Also, make sure you get up to see the Menindee lakes and surrounding areas, finally full, rare to see it like it is now.
Only pubs after Yunta and not all of them are open!

As for things to do.....hope you like museums and Art Galleries because there are plenty.

Remember NSW still enforces the no under 18's in the front bar of any establishment. Found that out the hard way when I took the Mrs to Mario's Palace... the 11 month old got asked to leave the front bar and we were moved to the dining room where there were full nudes painted on the walls and ceiling!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:44 pm

heater31 wrote:Remember NSW still enforces the no under 18's in the front bar of any establishment. Found that out the hard way when I took the Mrs to Mario's Palace... the 11 month old got asked to leave the front bar and we were moved to the dining room where there were full nudes painted on the walls and ceiling!

I took Mrs Jimmy to the Marnoo pub once.
No women in the front bar rule.
She wasn't happy when she heard a horse (Maori's Idol) was allowed in there

(The female in the photo was the barmaid)

Probably didn't help when I said "well, he is male....."
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Columbo » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:58 pm

Is the old fella that sold the pies outside the races, show, Richmond oval etc.. still around?
Last time I saw him he was with what I assume was his Grandson, he certainly wasn't getting any younger so assume he isn't still out and about but wondered if anyone from his family has continued the tradition?
Trust the process.
Columbo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times

Postby Corona Man » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:31 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
heater31 wrote:Remember NSW still enforces the no under 18's in the front bar of any establishment. Found that out the hard way when I took the Mrs to Mario's Palace... the 11 month old got asked to leave the front bar and we were moved to the dining room where there were full nudes painted on the walls and ceiling!

Did Paleface Adios not get an invite?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:35 am

Hotel Metropolitan or the Union Hotel?
Counted the yards and both are just about the same distance for me.
Leaning towards the metro.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:15 pm

Corona Man wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

Maori's idol beat Paleface one race
That's me 4th from the right - it was around 1977 - 78
I cant remember which cup it was
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:24 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Corona Man wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

Maori's idol beat Paleface one race
That's me 4th from the right - it was around 1977 - 78
I cant remember which cup it was

1977/78
In Brisbane Maori's Idol won two heats of the Sir Clive Uhr Championship (now Queensland Pacing Championship) against pacers including a win over Paleface Adios. In the final he finished second to Rip Van Winkle
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:35 pm

The *********s blocked him against the rail for most of the final race

Brian Healy was a fiery bloke. Word is he invited a few chariot drivers out the back after the race
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:38 pm

Does anyone use the WhatsApp?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:39 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Does anyone use the WhatsApp?

Yep.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:07 pm

Booney wrote:

Yep.

What is the difference between that and messenger? I often get people asking me to message then on the App but I don't trust it.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:08 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:

Yep.

What is the difference between that and messenger? I often get people asking me to message then on the App but I don't trust it.

much more secure than messenger but pretty similar
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:16 pm

Dutchy wrote:
much more secure than messenger but pretty similar

OK, I thought it was a haven for scammers.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:37 pm

I'm on a committee and we use it all the time
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:57 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:The *********s blocked him against the rail for most of the final race

Brian Healy was a fiery bloke. Word is he invited a few chariot drivers out the back after the race

Ah, Maori's Idol. My favourite horse ever. What a magnificent animal. I was at Globe Derby for his first ever race. It was the last race for the night, for trotters over 2660m. My brother, mate and I were going to go after the second to last race, but decided to to stay and watch this 3yo trotter they had brought over from Victoria. He was well bred and a magnificent looker and was backed into odds on favourite. At the start he pig rooted all the way down the home straight and by the time Healy could get him trotting he must have been at least 150m tailed off. We laughed and wondered we bothered to stay and watch. Well, he caught the field with half a lap to go, went round every horse as if they were standing still and won by 10 lengths. He was timed to run his last mile in a tick over 1.58, which was unheard of for trotters. Won his first 24 races before getting beaten in the Interdomion Trotters GF at Moonee Valley where Healy messed up by leaving his run too late.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:04 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:

Yep.

Same same but different
I use both Messenger and WhatsApp
You need to be on FB to use Messenger i think
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:44 pm

yep, just need a phone number for whatsapp - hence we use it with my parents who don't have FB
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion