North Melbourne

Talk on the national game

Re: North Melbourne

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:41 pm

Dutchy wrote:
MW wrote:Why?

Still think he will stick, but a bit more uncertain now, according to some close to him he is all over the shop currently and that has spilled on field.

That's the downfall of recruiting interstate kids.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:25 pm

Spargo wrote:I knew a bloke who followed Fitzroy with all his being back in the day. Their last game was Sept 1, 1996. He hasn’t watched a game of football since, it literally broke his heart. I’ve followed North Melbourne my whole life, been a member since 1994. I fear that my reaction may be similar to my ‘Roys mate if we were to relocate. You just lose so much of your identity.
Their was far more push when the AFL were trying to ship us off to the Gold Coast compared to now going to Tassie but I’m sure more pressure will come. We need to dig our heels in again. Too much time, money & effort has been put into not only surviving but to establishing our home base at Arden St & becoming financially viable (including being the first club to cease poker machine ownership).
I sincerely hope our president/board have the same guts & ticker that Brayshaw, Archer & Co showed previously.

This is all media BS, they used to kick us when we were up the top of the ladder, now we are seen as an even easier target - even though we are the last AFL club to officially bottom out I can't remember any other clubs copping this much crap.

Internally and off field the club couldn't be in a better position, Ive got faith in the leadership and take comfort that we are not fighting back with the media, putting all our energies into getting better on field as god knows thats where it needs to be.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby tigerpie » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:54 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Spargo wrote:I knew a bloke who followed Fitzroy with all his being back in the day. Their last game was Sept 1, 1996. He hasn’t watched a game of football since, it literally broke his heart. I’ve followed North Melbourne my whole life, been a member since 1994. I fear that my reaction may be similar to my ‘Roys mate if we were to relocate. You just lose so much of your identity.
Their was far more push when the AFL were trying to ship us off to the Gold Coast compared to now going to Tassie but I’m sure more pressure will come. We need to dig our heels in again. Too much time, money & effort has been put into not only surviving but to establishing our home base at Arden St & becoming financially viable (including being the first club to cease poker machine ownership).
I sincerely hope our president/board have the same guts & ticker that Brayshaw, Archer & Co showed previously.

This is all media BS, they used to kick us when we were up the top of the ladder, now we are seen as an even easier target - even though we are the last AFL club to officially bottom out I can't remember any other clubs copping this much crap.

Internally and off field the club couldn't be in a better position, Ive got faith in the leadership and take comfort that we are not fighting back with the media, putting all our energies into getting better on field as god knows thats where it needs to be.

If you keep getting low numbers to games (11000) its only a matter of time before the off field stuff gets affected.
Trouble is you have to start winning games for the attendance's and memberships to increase.
Can't see that happening for a long time.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:10 am

tigerpie wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

If you keep getting low numbers to games (11000) its only a matter of time before the off field stuff gets affected.
Trouble is you have to start winning games for the attendance's and memberships to increase.
Can't see that happening for a long time.

Attendance means **** all to the AFL and clubs these days it is the TV deal that the AFL give a shit about, which with the current state of the game may not be as big as the AFL would like it next time round. Getting 23k to a Richmond v Port game in primetime should be more of a concern than getting 11k to a Roos v GWS game on the Sunday of a long weekend.

As for members we have already broken our membership record this season going past last seasons record so the supporters are frustrated but loyal.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:08 am

Well said ZC, again people looking at the 2 hours on a weekend and not appreciating the work being done off the field. Has any other club broken their membership record when going through their lowest point?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby am Bays » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:25 am

Dutchy wrote:Well said ZC, again people looking at the 2 hours on a weekend and not appreciating the work being done off the field. Has any other club broken their membership record when going through their lowest point?

Fitzroy in teh mid 90s as it tried to stave off the impending doom

Almost doubled it's membership from 1987 to 1995 before seeing a dip in 96 as the writing was on the wall with Port having been announced as entering in late 1995
Attachments
1600167992844.png
1600167992844.png (1.22 MiB) Viewed 961 times
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:54 am

Dutchy wrote:Well said ZC, again people looking at the 2 hours on a weekend and not appreciating the work being done off the field. Has any other club broken their membership record when going through their lowest point?

AFL is a crap product atm, I hosted our corporate box 9 out of the first 11 rounds and it became a chore.

I'll have the footy on the TV but don't really watch it intensely, if I didn't do SGM's I wouldn't have any interest.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby tigerpie » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:07 pm

Attendance means **** all to the AFL and clubs these days
You're kidding us aren't you?

Every club wants attendance, the TV deal isn't the be all and end all.
So does the AFL.
Without bums on seats they lose money. And the crowd atmosphere for TV is all important, as we found out during covid.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:24 pm

tigerpie wrote:Attendance means **** all to the AFL and clubs these days

So does the AFL.
Without bums on seats they lose money.* And the crowd atmosphere for TV is all important, as we found out during covid.

*Depends on the stadium deal

In the main though, yes, bums on seats helps clubs the most.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby RB » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:33 pm

tigerpie wrote:Attendance means **** all to the AFL and clubs these days

So does the AFL.
Without bums on seats they lose money. And the crowd atmosphere for TV is all important, as we found out during covid.

I tend to feel though that TV viewership rather than attendance is prioritized. Hence why we have matches starting on Sundays at 4.10 p.m. etc.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Vamos » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:54 pm

The bloke sounds like Jack 'f***in' Irish
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 468 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:43 pm

North boys on here, have you seen the video of Jackson Archer calling his old man to tell him he's playing his first AFL game this week?
An emotional and great moment!
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10328 times
Been liked: 1519 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Spargo » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:03 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:North boys on here, have you seen the video of Jackson Archer calling his old man to tell him he's playing his first AFL game this week?

Yeah, great moment. Hope he’s as good as the old man.
More good news today with Geoff Walsh returning to the club.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5474 times
Been liked: 5116 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Vamos » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:08 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:North boys on here, have you seen the video of Jackson Archer calling his old man to tell him he's playing his first AFL game this week?

Surely he brings out the bow and arrow celebration being an Archer.
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 468 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:19 pm

Superb, feel a bit blessed having seen Arch's last game here at AAMI in 2007 and now get to see his lad debut in what we can only hope is a long career
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby reppoh_eht » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:47 pm

https://vfl.aflmstats.com/player/Jackson_Archer

Rewarding good form or just picking him to try and have some positivity around the place?

12, 9, 6, 4 disposals in his last 4 games
reppoh_eht
Under 16s

Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 54 times

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:38 am

reppoh_eht wrote:https://vfl.aflmstats.com/player/Jackson_Archer

Rewarding good form or just picking him to try and have some positivity around the place?

Kind of answered your own question.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:39 am

Booney wrote:

Kind of answered your own question.

I guess the positive is he is improving every week...... ;)
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:10 am

We haven't been gifting games so far this year (at least not to debutants) so I reckon he is coming in to play a role on the abundance of Crows small forwards and he is the only inexperienced defender in the back 6 named.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:24 am

North Melbourne are the first team in AFL/VFL history to lose 10 straight games by over 40 points.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL