R11 Eagles v Centrals

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: R11 Eagles v Centrals

Postby southernbulldog » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:25 pm

So glad to be proven WRONG the boys were fantastic today .Thats the sort of footy that will win more games than we lose .
Felt for the young female goal umpire in her first game today the constant bashing she copped in the last qtr from some Eagles supporters behind the goals was unnecessary .so she made an error perhaps they should look at how many errors their players made instead.
southernbulldog
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Hopeful Jelly » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:29 pm

UK Fan wrote:
DOC wrote:Seb play? Heard he has battling a large inflammation.

Facing a lengthy Suspension I heard. Reported for A behind the ball incident caught on video.

His pulled muscle isn't quite right yet. A bit stiff to miss out this week but should be good to get up next week.
Hopeful Jelly
Under 16s

Been liked: 11 times

Postby bulldogproud » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:55 pm

another grub wrote:Can the dogs still make the 5?

Yes

but unfortunately it will be the bottom 5.
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Hopeful Jelly » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:57 pm

Well played Bulldogs - they didn't give us any time and space with the ball, particularly when we were going forward, yet had plenty of space themselves when they had the ball.

I'm not sure if we had the game plan wrong initially, but with Jade Sheedy working from home, maybe we didn't have the ability to change it up during the game. Definitely Centrals were able to handle everything we threw at them.

The way we played was out of character - even just a couple of moments in the last 10-15 minutes stood out for me:

1. The Bulldogs had a mark at CHB - there were 5 Eagles players all standing within about 15 metres of each other near the centre circle without an opponent nearby. Centrals kick it sideways to a loose player on the half back flank. All 5 of them run towards that player but they are too far away and Centrals work it down the wing into their forward line.

2. A short time later, Lachlan Hoile is contesting the ball with 3 Centrals players in the scoreboard pocket - rarely do we ever get outnumbered in defence or are so loose on opponents.

Also thought our team selection wasn't right with 3 talls in defence, especially with the mix of the other defenders in the team today. I feel it's only against Glenelg and maybe the AFL teams (depending on who they have) when you need 3 tall defenders. With Ballenden looking like missing the rest of the season, that maybe forces us to change it up with Clay Cameron having to go forward.
Hopeful Jelly
Under 16s

Been liked: 11 times

Postby wedgetail » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:05 pm

Tackle count CD - 83 E - 53 showed the different level of intent from both sides today. Eags got what they deserved, outplayed in all facets. Putrid display and very un-Eagles like. West a big chance next week if we play like that again!
The issue for CD will be to play like that next week and show it wasn't just a 'flash in the pan'.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby southernbulldog » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:20 pm

Spot on Wedgetail that will be the question next week against another good side in North .
Hopefully we build on today and get the belief to keep playing like that .
southernbulldog
Reserves

Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Wedgie » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:11 pm

Good to see the Dogs get up for their loyal fans especially Gazza.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby another grub » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:17 pm

Putrid spot on
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 432 times
Been liked: 402 times

Postby another grub » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:51 pm

Disgraceful
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 432 times
Been liked: 402 times

Postby Aerie » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:04 am

Missed watching the game today, as I did the 2004 Grand Final. Just like in 2004, I don’t think I’ll watch the replay to see what went wrong! I’ve not seen much of Central, but did see them on TV last week vs Port and they had a fair crack. Not surprised they’d win if the opposition was off their game and it sounds like the Eagles were that today. Biggest disappointment is reading a few posts back that Ballenden is seriously injured. That’s a huge loss if true. I’d expect the Eagles to bounce back. They’ve been up and about since the poor performance vs West early in the season and this might be the kick up the backside needed to get them going again.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby The Apostle » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:25 pm

am Bays wrote:Two certainties tonight:
2. Burn outs down the Phillip Hwy….

It wasn't rubber that was burning last night. 8)
The Apostle
League - Best 21

Been liked: 16 times

Postby RB » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:00 pm

Booney wrote:Crowd estimates?

R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:15 pm

We're gradually improving each week, the past 4 games are a testament to that.
We have to make sure that we don't put in a big shitter this weekend,
I still believe that we can go on at the second half of this season & win a few more matches,
maybe not end up with 6 or 7 but if we win only another 2 or 3 AND show real grit & character in the other games, then I reckon that's winning.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby northerner » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:43 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:We're gradually improving each week, the past 4 games are a testament to that.
We have to make sure that we don't put in a big shitter this weekend,
I still believe that we can go on at the second half of this season & win a few more matches,
maybe not end up with 6 or 7 but if we win only another 2 or 3 AND show real grit & character in the other games, then I reckon that's winning.

Yeh, the boys have been heading towards this performance over the weeks.
Despite criticism aimed at Thomas and his game plan, it was clear that it was working, but the players were not able to maintain their effort over 4 quarters. In most of the matches this season, the lads have shown one or two quarters of solid impressive football, but have then fallen back once their opponents gained momentum. This was the first game with FOUR quarters of solid football.
Persistence and self-belief helped, but so has the return of Hosko and Billy Mac who are definitely important parts of our set-up.

Another pleasing aspect is the way the lads are showing some fight and spirit. When Commitigianni decided to taunt Carpenter after he missed a bouncing shot at goal, he had three Doggie players very quickly remonstrate with him. Often this support has been missing in past seasons.

Hopefully the W gives them some further belief; the lads now have to turn up again this week.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL