Yay
78%
Nay
22%

Total votes : 36

Re: Tassie - Yay or Nay

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:53 pm

The Bedge wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:How would you decide who’s in what conference?

Pharknose, i was just dribbling crap :lol:

There's no room for that on here.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby The Bedge » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:53 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

Geographical location? SA/WA/NT + QLD/NSW + VIC/TAS

That’s only 3 conferences and the qld/nsw conference only has 4 teams ;)

VIC/TAS *2 .. and we are expanding so QLD + NSW Central Coast get a side :D
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:54 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

There's no room for that on here.

I’m reporting him……….
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby DOC » Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:02 pm

Tassie Yes.

ACT Yes

NT zero chance.

20 teams is too many. Get rid of Gold Coast, GWS and 4 Melbourne clubs. Comp is then 14 clubs. 26 game season.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Vamos » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:13 pm

cracka wrote:Yes but less teams overall, AFL needs to be a 16 team comp maximum, AFL won't reduce it though. Play each other twice 1 x home, 1 x away. Get rid of pre season comp. Shorter games but less break between games, playing Thursday to Monday.

I'm with this. Too many spuds as it is getting a run at the elite level.
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 342 times
Been liked: 450 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Psyber » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:50 pm

Yeah - disband one of the VIC teams to make room for Tassie!
Better- form a real national league with no more than 6 VIC teams and get more in from other states...
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby RB » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:01 am

Yes to a Tassie team.

But only in place of one of the current teams (GWS would be my pick).

The standard has clearly gone down since GC and GWS were added. I hate to think what it would be like with 19 or 20 teams.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:02 pm

Listening to some talk-back about it on the ABC last week, it doesn't seem like a you-beaut stadium in Hobart would be viable. One caller said you would be virtually cutting off attendance from the north-west who would have to travel 3-4 hours there, stay over for any night games, and travel back the next day. I know we probably have people drive that far here, but don't know if they would in Tassie in sufficient numbers .
It would seem 2 grounds of 20,000 initially and build up to 30,000 would be the most viable, and perhaps one advantage they might get is a guaranteed 12 home games. Which would probably be reasonable as you could see them being shipped of to Darwin Cairns and Canberra.

One obvious problem mentioned all the time is most people down there already have a team they are passionate about, so it could be a hard 15-20 year slog while the next generation comes through. A little different to here when the Crows came in as most were passionate about their SANFL clubs first and foremost and had a general interest in a VFL club.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Groover » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:18 pm

Yep Tasmania definitely deserves a team, not some relocates rubbish either. Has to be a standalone team.
19 team comp
18 games (9 home, 9 away) every team plays at least once in each state with the exception of teams going to Tas, where every team will visit there 1 time every 2 years.
Rolling byes so we don’t have this bye round BS as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hogg Shield Premier League Winner 2012
Groover
League - Top 5

Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 385 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby Vamos » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:39 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:Listening to some talk-back about it on the ABC last week, it doesn't seem like a you-beaut stadium in Hobart would be viable. One caller said you would be virtually cutting off attendance from the north-west who would have to travel 3-4 hours there, stay over for any night games, and travel back the next day. I know we probably have people drive that far here, but don't know if they would in Tassie in sufficient numbers .
It would seem 2 grounds of 20,000 initially and build up to 30,000 would be the most viable, and perhaps one advantage they might get is a guaranteed 12 home games. Which would probably be reasonable as you could see them being shipped of to Darwin Cairns and Canberra.

One obvious problem mentioned all the time is most people down there already have a team they are passionate about, so it could be a hard 15-20 year slog while the next generation comes through. A little different to here when the Crows came in as most were passionate about their SANFL clubs first and foremost and had a general interest in a VFL club.

I think most of the fans who already support another club will adopt Tassie as their second side and still support with attendance. The conundrum is - where do they play? My old boy is from Tassie and he reckons there's a genuine dislike of each other between the Hobart & Launceston regions so I'm not sure the fans who aren’t all in will travel outside their region.
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 342 times
Been liked: 450 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby DOC » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:41 pm

The "problem" for the AFL will be that the Tassie team will be forever playing in front of 10k-15k home crowds.

As this will be double the GWS and Gold Coast it will highlight why both these sides will never succeed despite hundreds of millions of our money being spent on them.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby am Bays » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:57 pm

Whats disgraceful about the AFL's behaviour regarding Tasmania and to a lesser extent an NT team is that they are expecting the respective governments to come to the partiy to fund this expansion. Tassie has to build a stadium they're expecting $20 million shortfall in the NT AFL teams budget to get it close to $50 Million T/o

As Doc correctly points out both these markets are so small (especially up here) these teams are destined to be replicas of GWs and gold coast as they struggle to compete financially and on-field.

How are an extra two games a year (22x 9 = 198, 20 x 10 = 200) or maybe 220 games if they bow to the broadcasters and provide more product will that bring in the extra $ Billion in to fund for an AFL competition expansion, AFLW pay rise, AFL player pay rise and not to mention the burgeoning AFL bureaucracy?

My fear is will see a further separation of the game at the elite level from it s roots.

Dont forget it's the game that we love as collective. The players come and go and we see clubs go. End of the day the product is footy. The AFL (And other NSOs) need to be mindful of that we they contemplate expansion and their sports future both short and long term.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby beef » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:54 am

Squads of 50 and 2 more teams??
Another 200 more players that can't even make North Melbourne squad now. Pass.
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

Postby cracka » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:24 am

Vamos wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:Listening to some talk-back about it on the ABC last week, it doesn't seem like a you-beaut stadium in Hobart would be viable. One caller said you would be virtually cutting off attendance from the north-west who would have to travel 3-4 hours there, stay over for any night games, and travel back the next day. I know we probably have people drive that far here, but don't know if they would in Tassie in sufficient numbers .

I think most of the fans who already support another club will adopt Tassie as their second side and still support with attendance. The conundrum is - where do they play? My old boy is from Tassie and he reckons there's a genuine dislike of each other between the Hobart & Launceston regions so I'm not sure the fans who aren’t all in will travel outside their region.

That is what I think is the biggest hurdle facing a team from Tasmania, the big divide between North & South. Try getting a Boags in Hobart or a Cascade in Launceston. If the team is based in Hobart then the Northerners would probably support their original AFL team & vice versa. I think they would have to play half their games in Hobart & half in Launceston to get the full support of the population
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 559 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Jim05 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:42 am

cracka wrote:
Vamos wrote:

That is what I think is the biggest hurdle facing a team from Tasmania, the big divide between North & South. Try getting a Boags in Hobart or a Cascade in Launceston. If the team is based in Hobart then the Northerners would probably support their original AFL team & vice versa. I think they would have to play half their games in Hobart & half in Launceston to get the full support of the population
We do a stack of work through Tassie and the North/South divide is well and truly overstated. No where near as bad as it was even 10 years ago down there. The driving is a big issue as for many in Tasmania a 2hr drive is seen as a long drive. It will only work if all of the state works together as the AFL won’t budge on a new stadium and they ain’t building a new stadium to play 5-6 games per year in Hobart.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:03 pm

Yay but....

They should've come in before GWS and Gold Coast.

Not sure how that happens now with 18 teams and even less players up to the standard.

And then there is the genuine hatred from North to South - will this proposal galvanise both parties?
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby carey » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:41 am

I'm a Nay at this stage.

For mine the standard of play is going backwards. Having extra teams come in is only going to stretch the talent pool even thinner, most state leagues are already on there knees and sourcing another 40-50 players from these leagues on top of what they already lose could be the death of some.

Just my thoughts.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Arch44 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:22 pm

Vamos wrote:
cracka wrote:Yes but less teams overall, AFL needs to be a 16 team comp maximum, AFL won't reduce it though. Play each other twice 1 x home, 1 x away. Get rid of pre season comp. Shorter games but less break between games, playing Thursday to Monday.

I'm with this. Too many spuds as it is getting a run at the elite level.

On the flipside its providing spuds with more opportunities. Lets face it No one really knows who will end up a spud and who wont. Only the top 10 in the draft are closer to making it to the non spud level.

Yes from me, make it happen.
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:37 pm

carey wrote:I'm a Nay at this stage.

For mine the standard of play is going backwards. Having extra teams come in is only going to stretch the talent pool even thinner, most state leagues are already on there knees and sourcing another 40-50 players from these leagues on top of what they already lose could be the death of some.

Just my thoughts.

Yeah, good point, it would be the equivalent of taking two more of the better players from each club, through the SANFL and WAFL.

On a different path, it would be interesting to see what would happen if we reduced the competition by two or four clubs - would some of those cricketer/footballers stay in cricket, espeically with the BBL now, as most seem drawn to footy?
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby whufc » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:56 pm

carey wrote:I'm a Nay at this stage.

Just my thoughts.

Your 100% right in what you are saying but do you think it will be a factor in the AFL's decision making.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL