AdFL Tribunal Listing

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: AdFL Tribunal Listing

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:49 am

whufc wrote:Out of curiosity are these 'dangerous tackles' that are seeing players get suspended 'sling' tackles or are they ones where blokes are driving players into the ground (generally head first).

Have a look on dartfish, a few of them have been mentioned on here, all valid from what I've seen.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby whufc » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:59 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:Out of curiosity are these 'dangerous tackles' that are seeing players get suspended 'sling' tackles or are they ones where blokes are driving players into the ground (generally head first).

Have a look on dartfish, a few of them have been mentioned on here, all valid from what I've seen.

I'm not that keen to know :lol: :lol:

Was just curious because it seems in the NEFL which I'm playing the sling tackle has been completely eradicated...…I haven't seen a single sling tackle this season and not one player has been reported for it.

It seems a simple rule to understand and intentionally not do.

On the other hand I can understand the occasional dangerous tackle where speed and momentum leads to a player being driven forward and if you have the arms pinned becomes pretty dangerous albeit not always intentional.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:04 am

The definition of a sling tackle varies significantly through the eyes of the beholder.

If your team is getting tackled it's a sling, if it's the opponent it's play on.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:07 am

The NEFL also has 1/10 of the amount of senior games played each week in comparison to the C9AFL and you’re only commentating on the games that you have seen. To say it’s been eradicated is a stretch as it just means no one has been reported for it.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby whufc » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:13 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:The NEFL also has 1/10 of the amount of senior games played each week in comparison to the C9AFL and you’re only commentating on the games that you have seen. To say it’s been eradicated is a stretch as it just means no one has been reported for it.

Whilst true.....we speak to players from other teams pretty much every day of the week, I manage a recreation facility and every second customer is a player from some team and the general consensus is that the 'sling' seems to be dead which we all agree is a good thing.

Can appreciate there isn't anywhere near the amount of games but from a playing perspective not 'slinging' a player has been a pretty easy rule to follow.

I guess coming from a rugby background the sling hasn't really ever been a big part of tackling...…..we drive through a player rather than sling so personally the rule changes hasn't changed any thing I do and it feels easy to not do.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:22 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:The definition of a sling tackle varies significantly through the eyes of the beholder.

If your team is getting tackled it's a sling, if it's the opponent it's play on.

Yeah definitely hard to define and can be hard to identify. As a tackler though you 100% know whether you deliberately 'slung' someone or not.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:37 am

Stop comparing "sling tackles" in the traditional sense, to "dangerous tackles" as in the AdFL.

It's simple - dangerous tackle is effectively either a tackle with force that drives a player into the ground usually head first (or in a dangerous position), a tackle that has an unnecessary second effort involved with a player pulled around and to the ground (giving them little to no chance to brace themselves) or a tackle where a player is slung to the ground.

At the end of the day as a tackler, if you get in a position to make a tackle and you dont need to try and bury the bloke into the ground - don't.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:39 am

I'd guaranteed there would be tackles in your comp that would likely be classed as a dangerous tackle in AdFL - but interpretation is different and it's adjudicated differently across comps.. i doubt you've also got the luxury of all games being filmed and reviewed.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:40 am

The Bedge wrote:Stop comparing "sling tackles" in the traditional sense, to "dangerous tackles" as in the AdFL.

It's simple - dangerous tackle is effectively either a tackle with force that drives a player into the ground usually head first (or in a dangerous position), a tackle that has an unnecessary second effort involved with a player pulled around and to the ground (giving them little to no chance to brace themselves) or a tackle where a player is slung to the ground.

At the end of the day as a tackler, if you get in a position to make a tackle and you dont need to try and bury the bloke into the ground - don't.

That was the exact question I asked and your the only one that has answered it without referring to sling tackles.

As a tackler I can understand how there would still be a lot of the head driven into the ground tackles compared to sling tackles. Sometimes you are in a good position but then momentum takes you forward, opposition players falls forward and the odd occasion you are bumped forward.

On the other hand im cant understand how you cant just stop slinging blokes. Usually a sling is very deliberate and caused purely by the tackler.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:41 am

The Bedge wrote:I'd guaranteed there would be tackles in your comp that would likely be classed as a dangerous tackle in AdFL - but interpretation is different and it's adjudicated differently across comps.. i doubt you've also got the luxury of all games being filmed and reviewed.

Yeah there has definitely been some of the driving in the ground tackles no doubt....no so much slings though.. the sling seems to have gone.
whufc
Coach

Postby Down the Hill » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:55 am

I don't like the general term of Sling tackle. That is a term borne out of junior footy where lads were getting tackled by the jumper and slung around and let go of at a bit like a hammer throw.

You rarely see blokes tackled by the jumper in senior footy these days but when they do the stretch of the modern jumpers can add to the potential for those tackles going wrong. Just ask us at Brighton after Round 1. Not sure if it was because it was a warm day on a fast track and whether opposition were more keen to take on the approaching tackler but you can go half a season without a bloke grabbing jumper only in a tackle and we had 3 in one game that resulted in suspensions.

There have been a few driving forward tackles that have resulted in suspensions and a few where benefit of doubt has been given due to the momentum of the tackler and the player with the ball. But these tackles are not the real problem area.

The main area of concern and the strong action from the AdFL with Dangerous Tackles (which should be the only term for any unnecessary tackle that causes or has the potential to cause injury) is where the tackler has both feet planted, lifts the opposition player, swings him around, and uses his body weight to drive him hard into the ground. Whether it's shoulder or head that makes initial contact with the ground is a lottery. These are tackles that seem to go beyond an instinctive action and the tackler makes a conscience decision to tackle in that manner.

It's hard to work out if we are genuinely seeing more of these tackles or just paying alot more attention to the end result of a tackle. What is becoming an issue is officials, players and spectators from clubs who have copped DT suspensions are now calling it out for any tackle that is on the edge of a DT which is putting pressure on umpires to bring out a card for tackles that probably shouldn't be carded and just be awarded a free kick. But on the other hand they are still missing ones that should be carded such as one I've seen on video from last Saturday (not the Brighton game).

Has the AdFL been heavy handed with the severity of suspensions? Some clubs and casual observers might have been thinking that way in the early part of the season but when your players are on the receiving end of these tackles then those thoughts become a bit more balanced. The minimum suspension for any dangerous tackle has generally been 2 games and there has possibly been a handful of lads who have been a little unlucky to get a 2 week holiday. But the overwhelming evidence is that players who have been suspended have changed their tackling habits for the better so maybe the suspension has done them and their club a favour.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:56 pm

I call them a sling when you grab hold of the jumper and take him for a trip around the world

Its a suplex when you tackle and/or pick him up and drive his head into the ground

Plenty of the suplexes I've seen would be send offs in rugby union
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby MoP » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:11 pm

Where is the weekly tribunal listing found? Is it somewhere online or does it get emailed to the clubs each week?
MoP

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:17 pm

MoP wrote:Where is the weekly tribunal listing found? Is it somewhere online or does it get emailed to the clubs each week?

**** any of you clowns actually read shit on here, or just what you post? :roll: :lol:

As per below...

scottroo wrote:It’s not released until Thursday

Brodlach wrote:When the weekly update is released, generally mid afternoon
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:36 pm

L
Week 11

25/06/2022
MRP
Charlie Jordan
Rostrevor
1 Men
Yes
Dangerous Tackle
Careless
High
Low
Accept
2 + (1)
25/06/2022
MRP
Hugh Haysman
St Peters OC
1 Men
Yes
Dangerous Tackle
Intentional
High
Medium
Accept
4 + (2)
25/06/2022
MRP
Fletcher Wiseman
Glenunga
1 Men
Yes
Dangerous Tackle
Careless
High
Medium
Accept
3 + (1)
25/06/2022
MRP
Jake Bowman
Modbury
3 Men
Yes
Dangerous Tackle
Careless
Body
Low
Accept
2 + (1)
25/06/2022
MRP
Connor Oxton
Hectorville
5 Men
Yes
Dangerous Tackle
Careless
High
High
Accept
4 + (1)
25/06/2022
MRP
Jacob Hanham
Gepps Cross
5R Men
No
Striking
Intentional
Body
Low
Accept
2 + (1)
25/06/2022
Inv (Complaint)
Ben Tume
Hackham
7 Men
Yes
Rough Conduct
Careless
High
Low
Accept
25/06/2022
Prescribed
Ben Bamford
Greenacres
7 Men
Yes
Attempted Striking

Accept
25/06/2022
Inv (Complaint)
Riley Dabinett
Houghton
7 Men
Yes
Dangerous Tackle
Careless
High
Medium
Accept
3 + (1)
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:39 pm

week 11.PNG
week 11.PNG (40.73 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
The Bedge
Coach

Postby MoP » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:43 pm

The Bedge wrote:
MoP wrote:Where is the weekly tribunal listing found? Is it somewhere online or does it get emailed to the clubs each week?

**** any of you clowns actually read shit on here, or just what you post? :roll: :lol:

As per below...

scottroo wrote:It’s not released until Thursday

Brodlach wrote:When the weekly update is released, generally mid afternoon

I appreciate the feedback, but my question was not about when it's released, but where it's actually found!
MoP

Postby MoP » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:45 pm

The Bedge wrote:
week 11.PNG

Thanks, Bedge - where do you source this data from, though?
MoP

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:51 pm

MoP wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
week 11.PNG

Thanks, Bedge - where do you source this data from, though?

Kernahan sends out a weekly update to all clubs - it's a segment within this.

Formerly there used to be a running list on the website, but since moving across to the new website this doesn't appear to happen anymore.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby MoP » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:07 pm

Thanks, Bedge - where do you source this data from, though?[/quote]
Kernahan sends out a weekly update to all clubs - it's a segment within this.

Formerly there used to be a running list on the website, but since moving across to the new website this doesn't appear to happen anymore.[/quote]

Thanks. I kept looking for them but couldn't find them anywhere, that's why I presumed the Clubs must have got a weekly update.

No surprise to see Haysman (SPOC) get 4 weeks. Interesting, though, to see that Wisman (Glenunga) got suspended when he didn't even give away a free kick, but Gibson (SPOC) got sent off for his tackle, but didn't get anything.

More confusion/mixed messaging from HQ. Based on what I saw, I think Wisman deserved his suspension, but thought Gibson may have got one, too.
MoP

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League