2022 Australian tour of Sri Lanka

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: 2022 Australian tour of Sri Lanka

Postby Armchair expert » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:14 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:Travis Head back foot again

jeebus

Head was clueless on how to play that ball.

Played back and just put the bat there hoping he would hit it :roll:

Might as well jump down rhe pitch ...... never going to get stumped.

nice call army!

:roll:
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Mr Beefy » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:18 pm

DOC wrote:And Cricket Australia are pushing to review his leadership ban.
I thought it was only Candy Warner pushing for a review...
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Armchair expert » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:19 pm

This will be over in 15 minutes :oops:
Armchair expert
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:23 pm

Very dark day for Australian cricket.
Absolute disgrace
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Armchair expert » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:47 pm

Gives that but not some of our plumb shouts

ffs
Armchair expert
Coach

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:00 pm

Swepson is a genuine no. 11 isn't he. Tried to hit 5 deliveries and missed them all by a lot.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby tigerpie » Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:01 pm

Gee an outsider could claim we threw that!

The reviews.....WTF?

41 overseas is a disgraceful effort.
A bloke made 200 on the same pitch yesterday.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby locky801 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:05 pm

Most of our wickets thrown away by missing straight balls, wasnt a mine field out there thats for sure

Pathetic performance :evil: :evil:
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3647 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby tigerpie » Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:13 pm

It fair dinkum looked like our top order were got to.

Smith looked like he missed his on purpose.
Trav....well he looked like a d grade no11.
Marnus....what the f**k sorta shot was that.
Ussy got a decent ball that spat.
Warners was a park slog.
Green...got done beautifully in flight.
Carey... Red ink.
The rest don't matter.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:33 am

We beat Pakistan and a drawn series with Sri Lanka isn't the end of the world but geez we would have no chance of beating India over there.

Its pretty much time we go with a horses for courses selection......the two that just cant be selected are:

Warner.... ave 24 in India, 33 in Pakistan, 25 in Sri Lanka, 59 in UAE.
Head.....ave 9 in SL, 22 in Pak, 30 in UAE

Carey looks pretty capable with the bat on the sub continent decks just needs to hold his concentration longer....his keeping though needs improving. Ill throw this out there...….I would almost consider opening him in India and then play a Maxwell type to bat at 7.

Not sure what to make of Swepsons early tests....10 wickets at 45 on spinner friendly wickets isn't a great return but he does bowl some pretty decent nuts and has a bit to work with. Just has to try and erase the one bad ball an over he tends to bowl. Worth persisting with imo especially given we don't have a wealth of quality spinners in the shield.

I would almost go....

Khawaja
Carey
Labuschange
Smith
Green
Anyone who supposedly can play spin
Maxwell (albeit the bloke should be playing shield cricket)
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Swepson
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:33 am

whufc wrote:We beat Pakistan and a drawn series with Sri Lanka isn't the end of the world but geez we would have no chance of beating India over there.

Its pretty much time we go with a horses for courses selection......the two that just cant be selected are:

Warner.... ave 24 in India, 33 in Pakistan, 25 in Sri Lanka, 59 in UAE.
Head.....ave 9 in SL, 22 in Pak, 30 in UAE

Carey looks pretty capable with the bat on the sub continent decks just needs to hold his concentration longer....his keeping though needs improving. Ill throw this out there...….I would almost consider opening him in India and then play a Maxwell type to bat at 7.

Not sure what to make of Swepsons early tests....10 wickets at 45 on spinner friendly wickets isn't a great return but he does bowl some pretty decent nuts and has a bit to work with. Just has to try and erase the one bad ball an over he tends to bowl. Worth persisting with imo especially given we don't have a wealth of quality spinners in the shield.

I would almost go....

Khawaja
Carey
Labuschange
Smith
Green
Anyone who supposedly can play spin
Maxwell (albeit the bloke should be playing shield cricket)
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Swepson

Rather than just saying 'Anyone who supposedly play spin' to replace Head (And Warner for that matter) which is an easy thing to say how about looking at and considering the other options? If you're going to drop a player than who are you going to replace them with?

Just as an example- in the Aus A tour of Sri Lanka there was Harris, Renshaw, Hunt, Maddinson, Phillippe making up the top/ middle order, these guys are obviously looked at as the next batsmen in line. Looking at the scores from the four innings they played in apart Hunt making one century those guys didn't really go that well. Do you think these guys are good enough to replace Head and/or Warner?
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:39 am

I can look up there scores and see their scores from one or two tour matches but that’s not a full indication of how they play spin. Based on the tour games I would have Philleppe but I haven’t seen enough of him batting against spin to truly know how he goes against it.

Either way Head and Warner have proven they can’t handle those conditions very sadly…..you couldn’t actually do any worse than Head has this series could you 6, 12, 5 so it’s not going to be any worse is it.

Just had a look Philleppe hit 94 and 69 in the first tour match so that’s good enough for me lol
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:23 am

Terrible loss, capitulating like that.. great for Sri Lanka as a cricket country and for their country in general given their well publicized struggles.

Almost feel happy for them, seeing the reaction from their fans last night was gold.

On the Aussie side, most the chat on here is around Head and Carey being weak links, but I wonder if it's genuinely time to look to move on Warner and Lyon.

Warner hasn't made a 100 in more than 2yrs - couple 90's in the Ashes though.. but he just seems to be more famine than feast lately.

Nathan Lyon took 5/90 in the 1st test, and continues to be a very serviceable spinner, but he just doesn't spin us to victory enough. Jayasuria took 12 wickets on debut this test - Lyon took 2 from 64 overs. I feel he's just too defensive as a bowler, happy to bowl long spells and lock down an end, but that only works if you have a wicket taker at the other end, and on the sub continent our quicks wont cut it.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby mal » Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:49 pm

Memo to Australian Selectors
From David Warner

To whom it may concern
I currently average 46.53 in test cricket which is slipping as I get older
Can you only select me to play tests in Australia where I score well
In future for all overseas test matches please do not select me
We got out of the test series 1-1 against the Lankans and thank goodness it was only one of those ridiculous 2 test match series.
Rather than pick me in the sub continent , you would be better off playing Ashton Agar, if he is fit.
Ashy will most probably make as many runs as me and he is a left hand finger spinner, and that bowler type does well on the sub continent

Thanking you
David Warner
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:54 pm

The Bedge wrote:Terrible loss, capitulating like that.. great for Sri Lanka as a cricket country and for their country in general given their well publicized struggles.

Almost feel happy for them, seeing the reaction from their fans last night was gold.

On the Aussie side, most the chat on here is around Head and Carey being weak links, but I wonder if it's genuinely time to look to move on Warner and Lyon.

Warner hasn't made a 100 in more than 2yrs - couple 90's in the Ashes though.. but he just seems to be more famine than feast lately.

Nathan Lyon took 5/90 in the 1st test, and continues to be a very serviceable spinner, but he just doesn't spin us to victory enough. Jayasuria took 12 wickets on debut this test - Lyon took 2 from 64 overs. I feel he's just too defensive as a bowler, happy to bowl long spells and lock down an end, but that only works if you have a wicket taker at the other end, and on the sub continent our quicks wont cut it.

Yeah I had the same sentiments regarding Sri Lanka winning. Whilst it was frustrating watching us capitulate the Sri Lankan performance was more than just a cricket game and exactly what their country needed.

In fairness to Carey apart from some costly brain fades he looks a capable batter on sub continent conditions. He plays spin well and actually has a plan of attack which I don’t think can be said about Head and even Warner (who looks to get caught between playing aggressively and defensively)
whufc
Coach

Postby RB » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:01 pm

If only there was a third test to decide the series.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby mal » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:42 pm

SL Tour ends up
3 x 20/20
5 x ODI
2 x TESTS

Could have been
3 x 20/20
3 X ODI
3 X TESTS

As RB has alluded pity there was no 3rd test match
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby Sonofbrowny25 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:13 pm

whufc wrote:I can look up there scores and see their scores from one or two tour matches but that’s not a full indication of how they play spin. Based on the tour games I would have Philleppe but I haven’t seen enough of him batting against spin to truly know how he goes against it.

Either way Head and Warner have proven they can’t handle those conditions very sadly…..you couldn’t actually do any worse than Head has this series could you 6, 12, 5 so it’s not going to be any worse is it.

Just had a look Philleppe hit 94 and 69 in the first tour match so that’s good enough for me lol

Head did ton up aswell in a tour match, I do agree though he looks yuck on a wicket that bites. if you are going to take good with bad though maybe he needs to be told to play like a one day innings. fielders are up if he half hits it they wont be there to catch it.

Renshaw looks very capable of playing spin I think. whether he slots in would be a choice. otherwise Carey comes up and maybe its time for Pukovski to come back into the team. especially if the ball isn't getting past waist height. he is a serious talent
Sonofbrowny25
Under 18s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:24 pm

Sonofbrowny25 wrote:
whufc wrote:I can look up there scores and see their scores from one or two tour matches but that’s not a full indication of how they play spin. Based on the tour games I would have Philleppe but I haven’t seen enough of him batting against spin to truly know how he goes against it.

Head did ton up aswell in a tour match, I do agree though he looks yuck on a wicket that bites. if you are going to take good with bad though maybe he needs to be told to play like a one day innings. fielders are up if he half hits it they wont be there to catch it.

Renshaw looks very capable of playing spin I think. whether he slots in would be a choice. otherwise Carey comes up and maybe its time for Pukovski to come back into the team. especially if the ball isn't getting past waist height. he is a serious talent

Yeah it was obvious in Australia this year Head batted with no fear. Had a real clear mind frame of going out and playing lots and lots of shots at the risk of getting out.

Yet against Pakistan and Sri Lanka has looked like his confused when batting culminating in last nights ordinary dismissal in which was just hanging the bat out there in a very Khawaja style defence (albeit Khawaja makes it work)
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:33 pm

Runs in the series :

Byes 26
Head 23
PAFC. Forever.