2022 AFL Season

Talk on the national game

Re: 2022 AFL Season

Postby Brodlach » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:01 am

Booney wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:
MW wrote:
Booney wrote:Cast are still $3.50 to win it. That's a return in 68 days. Take the money and run folks.

If the Dees get fit and pull their finger out and don't play like individuals, they will still give it a shake

Of course they will. Melbourne and Brisbane are certainties to play in the GF. Geelong will end up third and Brisbane will get second and won't leave the Gabba until the GF and Cats will get pumped by Melbourne in the Prelim. Guaranteed.

Brisbane? lol

Lions have had a lot of injuries/COVID the past month, they’ll come good.

Should I cash out my Port Premiership bet?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:06 am

Brodlach wrote:
Booney wrote:
Brisbane? lol

Lions have had a lot of injuries/COVID the past month, they’ll come good.

Their finals record speaks for itself, they will do no damage in September. Far too reliant on Neale in the middle and the back half is shaky outside of Andrews.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Kahuna » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:54 pm

MW wrote:Pessimist much?

A bit like being a Dee's supporter. Reigning Premiers is uncharted waters, stressful and fearful waiting for it to fizzle. Much easier to deal with the shit times as there was little anticipation, just the usual familiar despair.
Kahuna
League - Top 5

Has liked: 503 times
Been liked: 187 times

Postby Bum Crack » Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:03 pm

Kahuna wrote:
MW wrote:Pessimist much?

A bit like being a Dee's supporter. Reigning Premiers is uncharted waters, stressful and fearful waiting for it to fizzle. Much easier to deal with the shit times as there was little anticipation, just the usual familiar despair.

I'm not a pessimist. I'm a realist. Geelong do this nearly every year during the minor round. Have a look at our finals record since 2011. It's not that good when it really counts.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby cracka » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:01 pm

Booney wrote:Cast are still $3.50 to win it. That's a return in 68 days. Take the money and run folks.

Just went on Sportsbet & they have odds up for the Crows, Bombers, GWS, Hawks, Roos & West Coast. Surely they can't take bets on them
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:13 pm

The AFL will confirm tomorrow the "Ginnivan" will be called play on.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Spargo » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:32 pm

Booney wrote:The AFL will confirm tomorrow the "Ginnivan" will be called play on.

If they’d come to their senses years ago the “Selwood” should’ve been called play on…
You can’t blame the kid when “Captain Courageous” has got away with it his whole career.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5474 times
Been liked: 5116 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:53 pm

Spargo wrote:
Booney wrote:The AFL will confirm tomorrow the "Ginnivan" will be called play on.

If they’d come to their senses years ago the “Selwood” should’ve been called play on…
You can’t blame the kid when “Captain Courageous” has got away with it his whole career.

Selwood tries to evade the tackler, not fall into it..
Surely you've seen the Chris Scott explanation.
Fairly simple really.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11839 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby tigerpie » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:20 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Spargo wrote:

Selwood tries to evade the tackler, not fall into it..
Surely you've seen the Chris Scott explanation.
Fairly simple really.

And pigs fly south in winter!

Evade the tackle??? He leads with his head and has done his whole career.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Armchair expert » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:24 am

They announced this interpretation in 2013, what happened?
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 1433 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:32 am

Reckon this is going to throw in even more grey areas.

The act of collecting the ball and moving forward with a low body is position is fair play imo and very natural.

The umps are now going to have to deliberate on whether the arm is used to raise the tacklers arms which is going to be so bloody grey.

I would rather the AFL put a greater onous on tacklers to get lower. You see a blonde mop pick up the ball you just know you have to stay real low on him....if you aim at his thighs your not going to get him around the head. Instead aussie rules players have terrible tackling technique and cant help but trying to tackle at chest height and fail to adapt.

The rule is being changed coz aussie rules players are ordinary tacklers and don't practise that skill of the game enough.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby MW » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:45 am

Are they also going to stop paying "in the back" when the player with the ball feels the tackle and dives forward to the ground?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2598 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:50 am

whufc wrote:

The act of collecting the ball and moving forward with a low body is position is fair play imo and very natural.

The umps are now going to have to deliberate on whether the arm is used to raise the tacklers arms which is going to be so bloody grey.

I would rather the AFL put a greater onous on tacklers to get lower. You see a blonde mop pick up the ball you just know you have to stay real low on him....if you aim at his thighs your not going to get him around the head. Instead aussie rules players have terrible tackling technique and cant help but trying to tackle at chest height and fail to adapt.

The rule is being changed coz aussie rules players are ordinary tacklers and don't practise that skill of the game enough.

It's easy to tackle when the opponent is always coming and you front on, don't tell me Aussie rules blokes can't tackle because you've got a rugby background. Completely irrelevant.

What Ginnivan is doing is placing himself at risk, the AFL are rightly trying to eliminate it from all levels of the game before kids start doing it at U13's training and I am 100% for it. It's a shit tactic, it's encouraging someone to belt you across the mush and it has to be discouraged.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:06 am

whufc wrote:Instead aussie rules players have terrible tackling technique and cant help but trying to tackle at chest height and fail to adapt.

Actually this is very incorrect, and comparing AFL to Union or League is not fair.

Each sport has a different standard or aim in regards to tackling - Union for instance is still big on legs tackles because it assists in quick turnovers, and rucks forming are better than mauls in most situations. Defense also only retreats behind the last defenders set of feet so it's easy to roll through several phases.

League is a combination of both chest and legs, but normally it's two in the tackle and the aim is to slow the play the ball area and give the defense time to get back. Generally first tackler in will hit the ball and hold, the second will come in and take the legs brining them to ground.

AFL is a combination of trying to hold the ball up and maintaining handles on the carrier - so hitting the chest/side region, then locking an arm. This is to avoid any easy disposal out and increases the likelihood of HTB. It's also important that the tackler is the last person to hit the ground incase of a spillage so they can be involved in a second phase.

Majority of AFL players would tackle as well as anyone, it's just a completely different world than the Rugby codes.

Handballing in any direction is the biggest difference - have you seen how fast AFL players hands are in traffic? Anywhere their hands are free they're going to fire out a handball and mostly hit a target.. blokes start running in hitting legs, and you'll have a ball free with a defender on the ground
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3996 times

Postby am Bays » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:10 am

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:

The umps are now going to have to deliberate on whether the arm is used to raise the tacklers arms which is going to be so bloody grey. we already do that, if contact is below the shoulders and the arm is raised to initiate high contact it is play on

It's easy to tackle when the opponent is always coming and you front on, don't tell me Aussie rules blokes can't tackle because you've got a rugby background. Completely irrelevant.

What Ginnivan is doing is placing himself at risk, the AFL are rightly trying to eliminate it from all levels of the game before kids start doing it at U13's training and I am 100% for it. It's a shit tactic, it's encouraging someone to belt you across the mush and it has to be discouraged.

There is a difference between "a loose and HBG" and staying low vs being in possession and the triple flexion (hips/knees and ankles) - even partial - to lower the body to draw high contact.

The league has to act in the same way as it changed the definitions at the front of the law book to if you are in possession and you drive your head into an opponent it is now "prior opportunity" there if you do that you're going to HTB. With all the literature around concussion and CTE the league has to legislate to prevent harm to players and prevent future lawsuits

I will imagine the "lowering of the body" once in possession will become the seventh clause added to the definition of "prior opportunity" hence if tackled it will become HTB

The current six are:
a) mark or free kick,
b) fend,
c) evade
d) balanced and steady,
e) driving with your head into an opponent,
f) failing to release the ball once correctly tackled - not knocking it on keeping it in motion

I envisage it will still be high contact if in the opinion of the umpire your body position is low to "win possession" and you are tackled incorrectly (high contact) but if you look at teh vision from last night on360 when they discussed it with the coaches it's going to be F***ing hard to adjudicate.
Last edited by am Bays on Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

Postby RB » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:16 am

Booney wrote:don't tell me Aussie rules blokes can't tackle because you've got a rugby background. Completely irrelevant.

This.

They're two different sports. Of course the tackling style is going to be different.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby RB » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:18 am

The Bedge wrote:comparing AFL to Union or League is not fair.

Nor is it apt; the AFL is a competition, not a sport.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:36 pm

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:Instead aussie rules players have terrible tackling technique and cant help but trying to tackle at chest height and fail to adapt.

Actually this is very incorrect, and comparing AFL to Union or League is not fair.

Each sport has a different standard or aim in regards to tackling - Union for instance is still big on legs tackles because it assists in quick turnovers, and rucks forming are better than mauls in most situations. Defense also only retreats behind the last defenders set of feet so it's easy to roll through several phases.

League is a combination of both chest and legs, but normally it's two in the tackle and the aim is to slow the play the ball area and give the defense time to get back. Generally first tackler in will hit the ball and hold, the second will come in and take the legs brining them to ground.

AFL is a combination of trying to hold the ball up and maintaining handles on the carrier - so hitting the chest/side region, then locking an arm. This is to avoid any easy disposal out and increases the likelihood of HTB. It's also important that the tackler is the last person to hit the ground incase of a spillage so they can be involved in a second phase.

Majority of AFL players would tackle as well as anyone, it's just a completely different world than the Rugby codes.

Handballing in any direction is the biggest difference - have you seen how fast AFL players hands are in traffic? Anywhere their hands are free they're going to fire out a handball and mostly hit a target.. blokes start running in hitting legs, and you'll have a ball free with a defender on the ground

My point was in rugby you have to make split second decisions on where you are going to tackle a player, sometimes it will be required that you go low. There is no chance my 5ft nothing frame is going to take on a 120kg Fijian high. There just going to go over the top of me.

On other occasions I will need to make that call go to high on a player coz there footwork is to fancy.

It’s a split second decision that gets made

In aussie rules people only tackle one way and that’s high on the body.

Like I said you see Ginnivan get the ball you need to adapt and go low on him, knowing low won’t end up being that low cause he keeps down until contact.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:40 pm

am Bays wrote:
Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:

The umps are now going to have to deliberate on whether the arm is used to raise the tacklers arms which is going to be so bloody grey. we already do that, if contact is below the shoulders and the arm is raised to initiate high contact it is play on

There is a difference between "a loose and HBG" and staying low vs being in possession and the triple flexion (hips/knees and ankles) - even partial - to lower the body to draw high contact.

The league has to act in the same way as it changed the definitions at the front of the law book to if you are in possession and you drive your head into an opponent it is now "prior opportunity" there if you do that you're going to HTB. With all the literature around concussion and CTE the league has to legislate to prevent harm to players and prevent future lawsuits

I will imagine the "lowering of the body" once in possession will become the seventh clause added to the definition of "prior opportunity" hence if tackled it will become HTB

The current six are:
a) mark or free kick,
b) fend,
c) evade
d) balanced and steady,
e) driving with your head into an opponent,
f) failing to release the ball once correctly tackled - not knocking it on keeping it in motion

I envisage it will still be high contact if in the opinion of the umpire your body position is low to "win possession" and you are tackled incorrectly (high contact) but if you look at teh vision from last night on360 when they discussed it with the coaches it's going to be F***ing hard to adjudicate.

Are they lowering the body or just staying low..

In ginnivans case to me it looks he just stays lower for longer than anyone else. He picks the ball up low and has the ability to drive whilst in a low position. He also seems to be able to twist and turn whilst in that squat position almost. His strength would be ridiculous

Selwood on the other hand definitely would drop the knees and raise his forearm
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:57 pm

whufc wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

My point was in rugby you have to make split second decisions on where you are going to tackle a player, sometimes it will be required that you go low. There is no chance my 5ft nothing frame is going to take on a 120kg Fijian high. There just going to go over the top of me.

On other occasions I will need to make that call go to high on a player coz there footwork is to fancy.

It’s a split second decision that gets made

In aussie rules people only tackle one way and that’s high on the body.

Like I said you see Ginnivan get the ball you need to adapt and go low on him, knowing low won’t end up being that low cause he keeps down until contact.

On the short list for the SA Footy worst take of 2022.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL