2022 AFL Season

Talk on the national game

Re: 2022 AFL Season

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:05 pm

What do I win...…..?????????? a SAFooty hat :lol:

I stand by the fact from watching and playing both sports Aussie rules footballers fail to adapt their tackling style to different players.

That's why Dusty Martin barely gets a finger layed on him......they all try and take him at chest high where he has the strength and technique to palm them off. FFS you have to go at his hips and get the head under the arm he palms off with and accept your not going to get the holding the ball but look to dispose him under pressure.

Ginnivan and Selwood just get the head low and aim at thigh level and you will make a solid tackle around the hips by the time they drop.

Not that ******* hard :lol: ;)
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2530 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby MW » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:06 pm

should try faking Ginnivan with a tackle and watch him throw himself to the ground with his arm out...would be quite funny
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2608 times
Been liked: 1848 times

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:06 pm

MW wrote:should try faking Ginnivan with a tackle and watch him throw himself to the ground with his arm out...would be quite funny

Exactly now your talking.... :lol:
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:09 pm

whufc wrote:My point was in rugby you have to make split second decisions on where you are going to tackle a player, sometimes it will be required that you go low.

That's not true either - both Union and League have play unfolding in front of them, you have ample time to assess and make the correct tackle. Obviously if a big towering poly is coming you try and go lower, but 90% of the time - especially in League - if you're first to make contact, you need to be hitting high.

That's where technique, feet and handles come into it, so you can position yourself to make a strong tackle.

You make it sound like all Rugby code players are naturally gifted tacklers who just know on instinct how it's done.. I've see a lot of spuds over the journey :lol:

You genuinely cant compare the codes.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4000 times

Postby Armchair expert » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:12 pm

whufc wrote:What do I win...…..?????????? a SAFooty hat :lol:

I stand by the fact from watching and playing both sports Aussie rules footballers fail to adapt their tackling style to different players.

That's why Dusty Martin barely gets a finger layed on him......they all try and take him at chest high where he has the strength and technique to palm them off. FFS you have to go at his hips and get the head under the arm he palms off with and accept your not going to get the holding the ball but look to dispose him under pressure.

Ginnivan and Selwood just get the head low and aim at thigh level and you will make a solid tackle around the hips by the time they drop.

Not that ******* hard :lol: ;)

Because he fends off high and holds the tacklers guernsey and never gets called for it.
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 384 times
Been liked: 1436 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:13 pm

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:My point was in rugby you have to make split second decisions on where you are going to tackle a player, sometimes it will be required that you go low.

That's not true either - both Union and League have play unfolding in front of them, you have ample time to assess and make the correct tackle. Obviously if a big towering poly is coming you try and go lower, but 90% of the time - especially in League - if you're first to make contact, you need to be hitting high.

That's where technique, feet and handles come into it, so you can position yourself to make a strong tackle.

You make it sound like all Rugby code players are naturally gifted tacklers who just know on instinct how it's done.. I've see a lot of spuds over the journey :lol:

You genuinely cant compare the codes.

That's my point, its not unfair imo to expect footballers to make different styles of tackles...not every tackle has to be a nipple high pin the arm holding the ball tackle.

I agree 'ducking' needs to be outlawed but a player who has the ability/strength and awareness to pick up the ball, stay low and keep moving isn't really doing anything wrong...…..especially because most of the opponents don't recognise whose in possession and wont get the head low and hit low.

If they change this rule I will get done every week because umpires will think im ducking everytime…….im just 5ft 3 that's me bloody standing FFS
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:27 pm

whufc wrote:not every tackle has to be a nipple high pin the arm holding the ball tackle.

If you don't secure the ball in Aussie Rules, or pin an arm and do go low, you're allowing a simple handball out option, and then as a defender you're automatically out of the play.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:32 pm

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:not every tackle has to be a nipple high pin the arm holding the ball tackle.

If you don't secure the ball in Aussie Rules, or pin an arm and do go low, you're allowing a simple handball out option, and then as a defender you're automatically out of the play.

Players getting tackled in rugby the majority of the time take the head on tackle and dispose of the ball after going to ground, they are not penalised for doing so, all the tackles are coming from front on.

Players getting tackled in Aussie rules are penalised for not disposing of the ball before going to ground and endeavour to dispose of the ball as soon as possible, tackles coming from 360°.

Exact same.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7493 times
Been liked: 10776 times

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:49 pm

The Bedge wrote:

I get that but at times you have to weigh up your opponent...…

In the case of say Dusty as an example are you not better off going low hitting the hips and forcing him to handball to another player who hopefully is less dangerous with the pill compared to trying to take him chest high to win a holding the ball. Instead your pushed off, out of the play and the most dangerous player in the team still has the ball.

I remember watching centrals in the 2000s and there tackling was immense. It wasn't their ability to win holding the ball decisions but more their ability to force poor disposal turnovers from tackle after tackle after tackle.
Last edited by whufc on Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:52 pm

whufc wrote:In the case of say Dusty as an example are you not better off going low hitting the hips and forcing him to handball to another player who hopefully is less dangerous with the pill compared to trying to take him chest high to win a holding the ball. Instead your pushed off, out of the play and the most dangerous player in the team still has the ball.

Dusty is probably a bad example, because he is so strong through the core, going low he's equally likely to shrug off a tackler anyway - and lowering to tackle actually makes it easier to fend because you push off the top of the tackling shoulder. 8)
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:54 pm

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:In the case of say Dusty as an example are you not better off going low hitting the hips and forcing him to handball to another player who hopefully is less dangerous with the pill compared to trying to take him chest high to win a holding the ball. Instead your pushed off, out of the play and the most dangerous player in the team still has the ball.

Dusty is probably a bad example, because he is so strong through the core, going low he's equally likely to shrug off a tackler anyway - and lowering to tackle actually makes it easier to fend because you push off the top of the tackling shoulder. 8)

It's the very strength Martin uses to shrug opponents, his core. SPP does similar at times, takes the tackles, holds the core strong and shakes them off.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:54 pm

The Bedge wrote:

He cant push off the shoulder if you hit from an angle......or use the tackling shoulder on the hip his holding the ball with.

This has been fun today and got me through a boring webinar in which I didn't need to have the camera on and just had to listen. :lol:
whufc
Coach

Postby mots02 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:19 pm

Booney wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

It's the very strength Martin uses to shrug opponents, his core. SPP does similar at times, takes the tackles, holds the core strong, shakes them off and then shanks the kick.

EFA
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 880 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby MW » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:11 pm

Rent free
MW
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:21 pm

MW wrote:Rent free

Hey, speaking of rent free, how's the home base search coming along? Last I heard Brompton was still a chance?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:27 pm

Booney wrote:

Hey, speaking of rent free, how's the home base search coming along? Last I heard Brompton was still a chance?

We're getting that for free? Sweet.
MW
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:29 pm

MW wrote:
Booney wrote:

I said Brompton, not West Lakes.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:31 pm

Booney wrote:
MW wrote:
Booney wrote:

I said Brompton, not West Lakes.

So why speaking of rent free about Brompton? Strange.
MW
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:32 pm

Rent - property etc. Sorry if the link was tenuous.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:33 pm

Booney wrote:Rent - property etc. Sorry if the link was tenuous.

Ironically your link is living rent free ;)
MW
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL