Clubs in strife

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Clubs in strife

Postby whufc » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:08 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
whufc wrote:I don’t buy time poor either…..if nothing else modern society has been sped up with technology.

Pay a bill do it online
Get cash out….who the hell does that
Get takeaway……don’t even leave your house now
Get served at woolies……if it’s busy serve yourself
Go food shopping…..click and collect or get it dropped off to home
Go clothes shopping……buy online
Go put a bet on……do it on my phone
Drive to port Adelaide from Elizabeth…..use the expressway
Go to a petty station…..there on every bloody corner
Hire a video/DVD…….do that from home
Go to a mates house who isnt there….would never ever happen now
Cooking dinner….shit I don’t even have to wait for my oven to heat up just use the air fryer
Do uni work…..type at 100 words per minute, use auto correct to fix any errors

What I will say is the hours of work have changed…….as well all know employment these days is 24/7 7 days a week and taking time off to play spot
Is not as socially accepted IMO

You always fill your life with stuff that previously couldn't get done but now can. Also, the expectation on people has increased, so despite the improvements in technology, the need to do more is ever increasing.

If technology improves even more, I'll have time to do work around the house I hadn't got around to previously.

This is deadest the truth...….hand on my heart.

We had a bye for footy on the weekend so some of the lads had their city mates come up for the weekend. We all got a bit pissed and one bloke wouldnt get off his phone so we started talking about hours worked and being on a phone....most of the country guys are 18-25 year olds who live at home and work on the family farm...….they are working pretty much 12-15 hour days unless there is sport. Its the only reason they are allowed to stop working. When we looked at their screen time they were averaging about an hour a day. Obviously haven't been on the tractor of late otherwise that would increase.

Then the friends got their phones out and they were all average between 4-5 hours a day phone screen time...…….I sat at 2 hours and my phone doubles up as my work phone. When asked what they were spending their time on it was pretty much social media scrolling, Wikipedia journies, tinder, message groups. That's crazy amount a day especially given most were also working at least 20 hours a week in a variety of casual roles.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:43 pm

whufc wrote:Then the friends got their phones out and they were all average between 4-5 hours a day phone screen time...…….I sat at 2 hours and my phone doubles up as my work phone. When asked what they were spending their time on it was pretty much social media scrolling, Wikipedia journies, tinder, message groups. That's crazy amount a day especially given most were also working at least 20 hours a week in a variety of casual roles.

My daily average screen time is 6hrs 27min - down 10% from last week... but I play games on the bus to and from work as well :P

Average 171 phone notifications per day
Average 147 daily pickups

Edit 4-11 July was aver 12hrs 53min per day - 90hrs screen time for the week :shock:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:56 pm

I honestly cant comprehend how you cant be involved in a sporting club and not look round and say, how can I contribute to support the club that I or my kids participate in?

As someone here has a said it might be just 2 hours a year, one hour the BBQ one hour working B to clean up the place at the start of a season.

Seriously how hard is it?

it's about community, its about we not me
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby whufc » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:33 pm

am Bays wrote:I honestly cant comprehend how you cant be involved in a sporting club and not look round and say, how can I contribute to support the club that I or my kids participate in?

As someone here has a said it might be just 2 hours a year, one hour the BBQ one hour working B to clean up the place at the start of a season.

Couldn’t agree more

Anyways I’m done on here for the day……got to drive 45 minutes from Spalding to Redhill tonight for training. Going to train with the juniors. We only have two junior teams and each week we are trying to have one senior player train alongside them. With me finishing work earlier today it’s my turn.

Luckily though we are training at Redhill which means after training I’m not required to help out in anyway so can sit back drink piss and eat. :lol:
whufc
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:14 pm

whufc wrote:
am Bays wrote:I honestly cant comprehend how you cant be involved in a sporting club and not look round and say, how can I contribute to support the club that I or my kids participate in?

Couldn’t agree more

Anyways I’m done on here for the day……got to drive 45 minutes from Spalding to Redhill tonight for training. Going to train with the juniors. We only have two junior teams and each week we are trying to have one senior player train alongside them. With me finishing work earlier today it’s my turn.

Luckily though we are training at Redhill which means after training I’m not required to help out in anyway so can sit back drink piss and eat. :lol:

Do they pay you to do it or you volunteering?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby whufc » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:17 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
whufc wrote:

Couldn’t agree more

Do they pay you to do it or you volunteering?

Haha off course it’s volunteering! Not paying a b grade pleb to run around with the kids when they’re probably better :lol:
whufc
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:19 pm

You should be paying them ;)
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Yank Man » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:11 am

This has been some great reading over the last few days and some great points have been raised. My concern is money, money, money. Pay players, yeah I get that, but having to pay volunteers to do things that are structural in all footy clubs is becoming real. Yeah a few free drinks, a free meal etc etc most volunteers would be more than gratified with that. Kids getting a sausage, drink or a $10 note to do the boundary or the goals is fun for them, but it’s becoming a habit. Hey Johnny gets xyz to play and you want me to do this for zero?? I know it’s 2022 and life is different, yes I’m a dinosaur, but where is the genuine love to support your club. I’ve been fortunate to spend some time this year at a country club that my kids and grandkids are involved in and they just seriously just jump on board to help no matter what. I guess that’s the real difference between us city slickers and the country folk. So who is better off?
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 316 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Sass! » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:10 am

Yank Man wrote:This has been some great reading over the last few days and some great points have been raised. My concern is money, money, money. Pay players, yeah I get that, but having to pay volunteers to do things that are structural in all footy clubs is becoming real. Yeah a few free drinks, a free meal etc etc most volunteers would be more than gratified with that. Kids getting a sausage, drink or a $10 note to do the boundary or the goals is fun for them, but it’s becoming a habit. Hey Johnny gets xyz to play and you want me to do this for zero?? I know it’s 2022 and life is different, yes I’m a dinosaur, but where is the genuine love to support your club. I’ve been fortunate to spend some time this year at a country club that my kids and grandkids are involved in and they just seriously just jump on board to help no matter what. I guess that’s the real difference between us city slickers and the country folk. So who is better off?

Payment of kids (or anyone) to do boundary or goal umpiring is an interesting one. Being Div 2 and 3, we often paid the league to fill these roles for us at a cost of between $80 to $100 depending on the role. When the leagues umpiring stocks dwindled, we reverted back to using club people for these roles and even though the boundary umpires in particular are getting paid, its for a bit less than what we were paying league umps. Essentially, we are investing back into our junior players and giving them some decent pocket money, whilst also building a connection with Senior footy. For the cost of $50-70 (whatever it is), thats a saving for us and we are keeping the money in the pockets of people from our club which is never a bad thing.
Sass!
Under 16s

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby The Bedge » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:33 am

Boundary is the one job I think should definitely be paid - most of the time it's a junior running, and if it's a ground like Ingle Farm which is reasonably big that's a bloody big work load for a kid!

It's the most active and involved role too - and so obviously the hardest to fill. Fair to pay em.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Brodlach » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:46 am

Boundary no issue, BBQ, scoreboard, water no way IMO
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:57 am

Brodlach wrote:Boundary no issue, BBQ, scoreboard, water no way IMO

If anyone is taking coin for BBQ or running water they have their priorities in life all wrong!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby jo172 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:00 pm

Not averse to sending a six pack of stout to the person (when 18+) manning the scoreboard on a cold winters day.

Agree with boundary umpires, akin to trainers, no difficulty in paying them.

In terms of cash handling activities (say BBQ, canteen, bar) it was put to me during my time on committee that when those staff are being paid money is less likely to go missing which has some appeal in that it splits oversight from the person actually doing the work.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby MW » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:20 pm

jo172 wrote:Not averse to sending a six pack of stout to the person (when 60+) manning the scoreboard on a cold winters day.

In terms of cash handling activities (say BBQ, canteen, bar) it was put to me during my time on committee that when those staff are being paid money is less likely to go missing which has some appeal in that it splits oversight from the person actually doing the work.

EFA
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:21 pm

MW wrote:
jo172 wrote:Not averse to sending a six pack of stout to the person (when 18+) manning the scoreboard on a cold winters day.

EFA

Most of the PNU kids have beards by 10 so 18+ is reasonable
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Previous

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League