The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Vamos » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:07 pm

Ambit. Twice in 3 posts, the whinge brings out the best of vocabulary amongst users, impressive!
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 450 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Vamos » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:11 pm

UK Fan wrote:All of this the week after you get 600 people attending your home game.

Kick them out

Careful, wouldn't be much less than your A grade and it was an away from home home game on a cold Satdee night.
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 450 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:11 pm

blueandwhite wrote:I suspect as others have mentioned that it is both a deflection to take the heat off Hinkley and an ambit claim to get a better deal from the SANFL.

Port Adelaide magpies since its merger with the Port Adelaide AFL franchise has become "one club."
The fact is, the only reason the magpie name still exists, is a marketing exercise by the AFL franchise to garner support from those magpie diehards who still embrace the sanfl magpies.
The Port Adelaide Magpies team that currently plays in the sanfl is in fact an AFL reserves team, playing by license in the SANFL.
Port Adelaide have NOT been a member club of the SANFL since the "one club" merger.
Like the Crows they do NOT have a delegate who sits on the SANFL League club delegates table.
The Crows are paying the SANFL to field a reserves side in the SANFL.-Port Adelaide are not.

Before the "one club" merger the SANFL bailed Port Adelaide out of financial ruin - both SANFL and AFL (when they held the license) on numerous occasions .In fact the week before Port Adelaide played its first game at Adelaide Oval,Port asked the SANFL for a further 1 mill to see them through.
The SANFL went into debt, to borrow money to give to Port Adelaide to keep them afloat. Port Adelaide could not get a loan from anyone.

The SANFL have bent over backwards for Port Adelaide. they have helped them financially to survive. The SANFL have changed vast numbers of rules and requirements for them to field a team in the SANFL and compromised the competition to accommodate them.

As for Kochy bleating about a game where Finlayson was the only senior player representing them in an SANFL game earlier in the year....Not that he would know or even care...but Finlayson's salary alone would be more than double the opposing teams entire salary cap for the year.

If Port Adelaide want a better deal,then go elsewhere.

Makes you wonder doesn't it, why do the SANFL want Port Adelaide to survive?

Must be something in it for the SANFL, you'd think.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Ronnie » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:13 pm

Agree that this is a diversion technique along with the jumper nonsense, to get focus off Ken.
As well detailed by blueandwhite, the history is that SANFL put significant financial amounts into Port, when their own supporters were leaving in droves.
It amuses me when Koch says they play under significant restrictions, as if the SANFL clubs they are playing against are rolling in finances and resources! The SANFL salary cap is little more than chips, and the depth of SANFL clubs is not what it used to be for starters.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:24 pm

Vamos wrote:Ambit. Twice in 3 posts, the whinge brings out the best of vocabulary amongst users, impressive!

Make that 3 in 4 8)
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:45 pm

Vamos wrote:Ambit. Twice in 3 posts, the whinge brings out the best of vocabulary amongst users, impressive!

Don't use a big word when a singularly unloquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:07 pm

Booney wrote:
blueandwhite wrote:I suspect as others have mentioned that it is both a deflection to take the heat off Hinkley and an ambit claim to get a better deal from the SANFL.

Port Adelaide magpies since its merger with the Port Adelaide AFL franchise has become "one club."
The fact is, the only reason the magpie name still exists, is a marketing exercise by the AFL franchise to garner support from those magpie diehards who still embrace the sanfl magpies.
The Port Adelaide Magpies team that currently plays in the sanfl is in fact an AFL reserves team, playing by license in the SANFL.
Port Adelaide have NOT been a member club of the SANFL since the "one club" merger.
Like the Crows they do NOT have a delegate who sits on the SANFL League club delegates table.
The Crows are paying the SANFL to field a reserves side in the SANFL.-Port Adelaide are not.

Before the "one club" merger the SANFL bailed Port Adelaide out of financial ruin - both SANFL and AFL (when they held the license) on numerous occasions .In fact the week before Port Adelaide played its first game at Adelaide Oval,Port asked the SANFL for a further 1 mill to see them through.
The SANFL went into debt, to borrow money to give to Port Adelaide to keep them afloat. Port Adelaide could not get a loan from anyone.

The SANFL have bent over backwards for Port Adelaide. they have helped them financially to survive. The SANFL have changed vast numbers of rules and requirements for them to field a team in the SANFL and compromised the competition to accommodate them.

As for Kochy bleating about a game where Finlayson was the only senior player representing them in an SANFL game earlier in the year....Not that he would know or even care...but Finlayson's salary alone would be more than double the opposing teams entire salary cap for the year.

The SANFL hoping to recoup some of the debt?
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Spargo » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:26 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Booney wrote:

=))
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Panther Pack » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:29 pm

Seems like a whinge from Port Adelaide.

If the conditions of playing in the league are so unfair how can Adelaide be third on the ladder.

Let's not forget Port Adelaide & Adelaide have much higher salary caps then the 8 SANFL clubs and they also have the ability to raid the SANFL clubs in the mid season draft.
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby cracka » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:40 pm

Chandler said they can't leave because they're contracted to playing in the SANFL until 2028
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:50 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Booney wrote:

I'd happily accept that if we'd not contributed anything to the kitty over the last 150 years. I'm sure we'd helped the bottom line for a while.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby stampy » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:59 pm

cracka wrote:Chandler said they can't leave because they're contracted to playing in the SANFL until 2028

there would be a number of "clauses" in there, ie and afl reserves comp
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 331 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:07 pm

cracka wrote:Chandler said they can't leave because they're contracted to playing in the SANFL until 2028

He'll do as he's told and everyone on here knows it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby am Bays » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:08 pm

Booney wrote:
I'd happily accept that if we'd not contributed anything to the kitty over the last 150 years. I'm sure we'd helped the bottom line for a while.

I dont disagree with that mate, and I'd argue based on support Port probably did more than most, but not the majority of it.

What raises my diastolic though is the common assertion by some Port fans (not you) and the perception coming out from Port senior administrators is that if it wasnt for us/Port, the SANFL would exist and we bankrolled you for a 120 years.

Umm what were you doing playing with yourselves? "Treating [your] self like an amusement parlour" to borrow a line from Seinfield?

We were all in this together and we all needed each other to have the best damn footy competition in my mind in Australia.

I dont like Port but I like having them in the SANFL.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Postby am Bays » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:12 pm

I also didnt like the 24 goal touch up we got at Alberton in 2014, proof that things go in cycles if you get the foundations of your program right and then put the players in around that.

I blame the runner we had that day.....
am Bays
Coach

Postby gazzamagoo » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:19 pm

am Bays wrote:I also didnt like the 24 goal touch up we got at Alberton in 2014, proof that things go in cycles if you get the foundations of your program right and then put the players in around that.

Who was the runner
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby Doddy » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:20 pm

Booney wrote:I'd happily accept that if we'd not contributed anything to the kitty over the last 150 years. I'm sure we'd helped the bottom line for a while.

i'd say that sincere thanks and solidarity with a brother was demonstrated in agreeing to lend Port the cash when nobody else would. But if you borrow under a contract, you still need to pay it back fellas.
Doddy
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 30 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:21 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:
am Bays wrote:I also didnt like the 24 goal touch up we got at Alberton in 2014, proof that things go in cycles if you get the foundations of your program right and then put the players in around that.

Who was the runner

Bit mouthy, bit chubby from memory.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby gazzamagoo » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:32 pm

Booney wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:

Who was the runner

Bit mouthy, bit chubby from memory.

Stampy's a runner?? :D :D
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby Dogs64 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:36 pm

Booney wrote:

If Port Adelaide want a better deal, then go elsewhere.

Agreed, I don't know why they want them to survive - maybe (hopefully) that thought process is changing. If their attitude is to put the SANFL first.

I think initially it was partly believing the spin they (SANFL) were told by the AFL teams i.e how they would promote the SANFL, the advantage of the t.v broadcasts, the mediocre payment made by the Crows early on for participating, the crowd numbers and similar. Since 2013, over time all supposed positives for making their case have proven false. All that's resulted is poorer results by the AFL teams and the destruction of the SANFL integrity. The SANFL survived quite well during the COVID year with the non participation of the AFL teams.

What has transpired is a lot of SANFL and SANFL club people involved in the decision making process and with a pro- AFL reserve attitude have ended up with cushy AFL club jobs.

The AFL reserves completely detract from the SANFL and Koch has a funny way of promoting the SANFL.

The only things I can think of that the AFL reserves contribute to the comp is it allows some "old school" Port Magpie supporters to watch a team play locally, wearing the Magpie guernsey (minus the Magpie) without the AFL cost of entry.

Booney, making a case for the Power reserves what do you think they add to the SANFL and what's in it for the SANFL?
Last edited by Dogs64 on Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 177 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL