Round 19 in an 18 game Season Glenelg v Central

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 19 in an 18 game Season Glenelg v Central

Postby TDJ44 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:01 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
TDJ44 wrote:
northerner wrote:Yep some of this seasons recruits didn't deliver but its tough in a new environment first up. Look at Billy Iles; played all season in the twos with one league game and now will be a Top 6 finisher in the league BandF.
Reckon this year has seen big progress from Lange Montgomerie Iles and Llewellyn with Cowham and Whitelum showing they are up to the level.
Shaw and East have set a platform and hopefully can take it to a new level next season. Looking forward to seeing what Tyson Richard, Dudley and Deakin can do in 2023 now that they have a taste, and Ethan Gant (still a kid) finished the season in the twos with a couple of crackers and has a skillset that will make him a handy league player.
Can't wait to see Barreau back (one of our best 5 players).
Plenty of solid role players... just need a couple of top notch recruits, one in ruck and one elite mid.

Billy Iles was performing well last season,Thommo was selecting Haydon and Habel instead for some reason.
Personally I think we should spend more time looking for midfielders and a reliable fwd than a ruckman.
We need 2 elite mids to help Trav and Pres.

IMHO a tall marking forward should definitely be our number one priority. Our problem isn't so much getting it into our forward 50, it is converting once it is in. We won the I50 count in the majority of matches this season, particularly in the second half of the year. A couple of mids would certainly not hurt, taking the pressure off Trav and Pres, yes. The inclusion of a tall marking forward would also help our mids by giving them someone to look for, straightening up our game. A ruckman would be handy but not our number one priority, certainly not a tap ruckman anyway. Over 80% of taps are ineffective in most matches of football; we have won Grand Finals roving to the opposition's ruckman. If we are going to get a ruckman, then it needs to be a mobile one who can take marks around the ground.
Cheers

Definitely need a tall marking forward or two.
Yes we won the i50 count but the problem is the poor foot skills.
We miss way too many opportunities because of our ordinary skills and decision making.
This is why we need some mids or anyone who can hit a target going fwd.
TDJ44
Under 16s

Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 37 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Big Phil » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:08 pm

southernbulldog wrote:Im assuming by the reaction of the boys when Luke Habel kicked his goal in the third quarter that he is finishing up.

Nope.

Luke has told me first hand he wants to play on next year and get to 200 games.

Just had another tough year with injuries and I think they were happy for him being in the ones and performing.

Is one of the more popular guys amongst the playing group and one of the nicest blokes you can meet.
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby southernbulldog » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:36 pm

Thanks for the clarification Big Phil
southernbulldog
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS