SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 97 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Re: 2022 Adelaide Footy League - Division 5

Postby Brodlach » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:35 pm

How can a player be ineligible? Looking at their team all players have played enough games, excluding the “private player” who’s stats cannot be looked at
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:59 pm

Brodlach wrote:How can a player be ineligible? Looking at their team all players have played enough games, excluding the “private player” who’s stats cannot be looked at

Im not sure of specific details but a player was granted a permit to play in the ressies only for the finals series - but Lockleys played him in the A grade last week (or something like that)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby Down the Hill » Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:14 pm

My understanding is that they applied for a permit for a bloke to play B grade on week 1 of finals. Rememberng their A grade didn't play week 1. Permit was granted on condition the bloke didn't play A grade week 2. This may seem unusual but it's happened before and is based on the rationale that if the A grade played that week and he was currently in your best available 22 then he wouldn't be playing B grade. Even if permit is granted then you can always make the decision to keep him out the B grade. But Lockleys have played him week 1 in B grade but somehow have decided to play him in the A grade last week despite what appears to be a clear permit condition not to do so.

Apologies if I have this wrong but that's what I've heard has unfolded. Just not sure how the communication between coach and club officials has broken down for this to occur.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:26 pm

Down the Hill wrote:My understanding is that they applied for a permit for a bloke to play B grade on week 1 of finals. Rememberng their A grade didn't play week 1. Permit was granted on condition the bloke didn't play A grade week 2. This may seem unusual but it's happened before and is based on the rationale that if the A grade played that week and he was currently in your best available 22 then he wouldn't be playing B grade. Even if permit is granted then you can always make the decision to keep him out the B grade. But Lockleys have played him week 1 in B grade but somehow have decided to play him in the A grade last week despite what appears to be a clear permit condition not to do so.

Apologies if I have this wrong but that's what I've heard has unfolded. Just not sure how the communication between coach and club officials has broken down for this to occur.

My understanding also. Played the majority of the minor round in the 1’s and was given a permit to play in the 2’s. Considering the player from what I can see in question on the team sheet even played A’s in R18 it seems a more than reasonable scenario from the league to have that provision in place. Happy to be told otherwise if I’m incorrect.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Dutchy » Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:33 pm

A suburban footy club has lost its spot in a grand final and will now need to play in a preliminary this Saturday after fielding an ineligible player over the weekend.

Lockleys Football Club, which competed in division five of the Adelaide Footy League, fielded ineligible player Luke DeTullio against Hectorville in its second semi-final last Saturday, winning by a point and booking promotion to division four and a spot in this year’s grand final.

The Demons had previously been approved a permit for DeTullio to play in the club’s reserves qualifying final on August 20 under the provision he would not be allowed to play A Grade again this season.

On Tuesday night, Hectorville submitted a complaint to the league regarding DeTullio’s participation in the semi-final on August 27 and after a subsequent tribunal hearing on Wednesday it was decided Lockleys had breached the permit for DeTullio and would have its score wiped.

Lockleys – the favourite for the division five premiership having lost just one game this season – will now play a preliminary final against Gepps Cross at Elizabeth Oval this weekend while Hectorville takes its spot in the big dance.

“The conditions of granting the permit were that the player would only be eligible to play B Grade thereafter,” league chief John Kernahan said.

“The league laid a charge as per rules and regulations and Lockleys Football Club took the matter to a tribunal which also found them guilty of fielding a player ineligible to play in a match and ordered a reversal of the original result.

“It may appear to be a disproportionate penalty … but we believe our regulations can’t be diluted because the impact is worse due to it being either a final or a minor round match – rules are rules.”
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby jake the snake » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:52 am

Pressure pressure pressure this weekend for Lockley$

Would be a shame to see them miss out on the grand final after dominating all year.
jake the snake
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 12 times

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:03 am

Brodlach wrote:How can a player be ineligible? Looking at their team all players have played enough games, excluding the “private player” who’s stats cannot be looked at

I think there needs to be a way to block the ability for ineligible players to be selected on the team sheet.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby S Demon » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:18 am

Down the Hill wrote:My understanding is that they applied for a permit for a bloke to play B grade on week 1 of finals. Rememberng their A grade didn't play week 1. Permit was granted on condition the bloke didn't play A grade week 2. This may seem unusual but it's happened before and is based on the rationale that if the A grade played that week and he was currently in your best available 22 then he wouldn't be playing B grade. Even if permit is granted then you can always make the decision to keep him out the B grade. But Lockleys have played him week 1 in B grade but somehow have decided to play him in the A grade last week despite what appears to be a clear permit condition not to do so.

What sort of a permit restricts a player going UP a grade when all 3 teams are in the finals anyway? Could he have played C grade?
Last edited by S Demon on Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby jo172 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:19 am

Feel bad for the bloke whose selection caused it. Wouldn't have thought it would be his fault.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby jo172 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:20 am

S Demon wrote:

What sort of a permit restricts a player going UP a grade when all 3 teams are in the finals anyway?

I think it's a pretty common one where a b grade makes the finals and the a grade has the week off.

Prevents the A Grade flooding the B Grade that week of the finals and maintains the integrity of the B Grade comp.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby S Demon » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:23 am

So if he didn't apply for a permit to play B grade week 1, would he have still been eligible to play A grade week 2?
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby The Bedge » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:24 am

Footy Chick wrote:You heard it here first ;)

It's a little funny.. you write this here, Hosie writes the same on SA Footballer.. hour later. :lol:
Last edited by The Bedge on Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3996 times

Postby Brodlach » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:24 am

S Demon wrote:

What sort of a permit restricts a player going UP a grade when all 3 teams are in the finals anyway?

I guess when you play Round 18 in the A’s and the A Grade team has bye in the first finals round you need a permit. Not sure why he would have been needed for the B’s though. In saying that the permits we got were very clear about players grades they were allowed to play in future rounds.

I have seen many people sticking the boots in on other social media, I feel for the footy director that is a volunteer and has made an error. It’s a big thing to happen to the club but imagine how he feels. Matt’s a good bloke.

How did Hectorville get wind of the permit issue?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:27 am

S Demon wrote:So if he didn't apply for a permit to play B grade week 1, would he have still been eligible to play A grade week 2?

Yep.. and wouldn't have played B grade week 1.

What I don't understand, is:

a) Why would you even bother getting a permit for an A grader to play B grade finals, when you've got a swag of talented C graders AND D grade you could call on?
b) Why would the league even entertain such a permit - even with conditions?!
The Bedge
Coach

Postby jo172 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:27 am

S Demon wrote:So if he didn't apply for a permit to play B grade week 1, would he have still been eligible to play A grade week 2?

If he didn't apply for a permit to play in the B Grade he wouldn't have been eligible to play in the B Grade in week 1 (such that I understand what has transpired).

In that event, if both the A Grade and B Grade were playing he could have been selected in either the B Grade or A Grade in week 2.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby The Bedge » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:30 am

Key Points:

48 ELIGIBILITY OF PLAYERS PARTICIPATING IN THE MAJOR ROUND

(c) a player may play in a lower Division in the Major Round provided the player has
played the majority of their matches in the current season in such lower Division.

(g) There is no free interchange of players between non-consecutive Divisions
playing in the same round of matches.

48.2 The following conditions shall apply for a player when the player’s Member Club’s higher
Division team is no longer playing in the Major Round.

(a) a player may return to the lower Division for the remainder of any Major Round
matches provided such player played the majority of their Minor Round matches
for the season in the lower Division.
(b) a player whom has not participated in a Major Round match for their Member
Club shall have played a minimum of one match for their lower Division team
during the Minor Round to play in the Member Club’s lower Division’s Major
Round matches.
(c) notwithstanding Clauses 47.6 (a) and 47.6 (b) a player may continue to play in the
Member Club’s lower Division team in the following Major Round match(es) if
such player played in the Member Club’s lower Division team in the previous
weekend’s Major Round matches
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Hector » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:52 am

Brodlach wrote:
S Demon wrote:

I guess when you play Round 18 in the A’s and the A Grade team has bye in the first finals round you need a permit. Not sure why he would have been needed for the B’s though. In saying that the permits we got were very clear about players grades they were allowed to play in future rounds.

I have seen many people sticking the boots in on other social media, I feel for the footy director that is a volunteer and has made an error. It’s a big thing to happen to the club but imagine how he feels. Matt’s a good bloke.

How did Hectorville get wind of the permit issue?

After speaking with some Hectorville people......Hectorville raised the issue Friday afternoon before week 1 of finals after the coaches had done their thing and looked at the named opposition side. With Lockleys A grade effectively having a bye, they questioned why 2 Lockleys players were named in the B grade teams to play Hectorville B grade despite having played more A grade than B grade throughout the season. The player in question had played 10 A grade and 6 B grade - not even close to being 50/50. The response Hectorville received was that the player in question had been given a special permit that said he could only play B grade for the entirety of the finals series. Lockleys won by a goal. The player in question kicked 1 goal that game. The next week, the player was named in the A's to play against Hectorville again. Hectorville management put through a query Friday afternoon again but didnt get a response until after the game had been played. It was more so the B grade game week 1 of finals that they were questioning but ultimately it is the A grade teams that have benefited/been penalised.
Hector
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:00 am

The Bedge wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:You heard it here first ;)

It's a little funny.. you write this hear, Hosie writes the same on SA Footballer.. reality is most people knew what was going on Tuesday/Wed morn, and result of the hearing came through hours before either posted. :lol:

You kinda missed the joke, but whatever :roll:

and the latter you're also incorrect on, if you want to start taking things literally. Normal tribunals heard first, before the investigation.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby Brodlach » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:01 am

Thanks Hector, good clear response.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League