SMA - Adelaide Oval Update

Talk on the national game

Re: SMA - Adelaide Oval Update

Postby Psyber » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:18 am

Rann had a pre-election motive for confusing us by dressing it up as all largesse from the government I guess.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Voice » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:40 pm

Apparently it's now set to hit $700m.
What I do find funny though is that all Libs supporters think the $1b cost of a new stadium would have stayed exactly $1b
EDIT: Can't post a link from my phone. The story is on AdelaideNow
Voice
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Thiele » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:12 pm

Voice wrote:Apparently it's now set to hit $700m.
What I do find funny though is that all Libs supporters think the $1b cost of a new stadium would have stayed exactly $1b

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/oval-shoc ... 5885216534
James Ezard Joint 2009 Magarey Medalist

Personal views only not views of the West Adelaide Footy Club or Bedford Indstries
Thiele
Coach

Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby Mop Up » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:49 pm

I hate how it's portrayed Liberal Supporters v Labor Supporters. I couldn't care less what political party is in, I just want whats best for Adelaide.

Surely the most responsible thing, given this staidum has to last us the next 30 yrs, is to have a look at both options and do the full costings on both. Obvioulsy these estimates they give are ridiculous and hold no value in a debate so why not do what they're doing with Adelaide Oval for a new stadium. Get the designs, full costings, etc. Then sit down and compare the two!! Garner public reaction etc....

Just feel like the whole thing is very ad hoc, and rushing it when it has to last us 30 yrs. Would hate to be sitting here in 2025 going sheesh I wish we had thought about it a bit more.
Mop Up
League - Best 21

Been liked: 5 times

Postby smac » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:20 pm

Voice wrote:Apparently it's now set to hit $700m.

The article states that the $700m figure is the current $530m figure (with the Tennis centre roof, footbridge and car park costs taken away from the project, which was done months ago).
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby heater31 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:37 pm

hmmm with all this rumour flying about the place I think the Members meeting on July 7 will be very interesting......
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:24 am

Don't blame me, I voted Liberal!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby gossipgirl » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:45 am

Should just build the stadium from LEGO and at least for all those soft@@@@@@ they can have a roof :D
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:05 am

Interesting debate on the roof issue. The general thought is that the average footy fan is now wanting a roof over the stadium they go to because they have grown "soft". A major part of the current platform for the Adelaide Oval redevelopment is the use of public transport to the city centre, well if people are soft they are not going to drive to the nearest train station,catch a train, walk nearly 1km from the train station to the oval and then do the same on the return trip home.

I live about 200m from a train station, I dont want to go to the city on the train to watch the footy, walk to the oval etc etc. but I will sit in the rain if my team is playing.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Psyber » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:20 am

I still think increased traffic around Adelaide Oval to benefit the minority who go to football matches, is hugely unfair to other people who may live and work nearby.
Football should be kept to the western side of town - either West Lakes , or the western end of the river as the Libs proposed.
Psyber
Coach

Postby Dirko » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:00 am

Psyber wrote:Football should be kept to the western side of town - either West Lakes , or the western end of the river as the Libs proposed.

And the residents around the West Lakes area, are never inconvenienced :roll:
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Psyber » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:24 am

SJABC wrote:
Psyber wrote:Football should be kept to the western side of town - either West Lakes , or the western end of the river as the Libs proposed.
And the residents around the West Lakes area, are never inconvenienced :roll:
I supported the idea when I lived on Delfin Island too. 8)
The roads are wider and don't clog up everything else when they get overloaded.
Psyber
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:41 am

Plus it isn't too far from Alberton. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:59 pm

Wedgie wrote:Don't blame me, I voted Liberal!

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:40 pm

Wedgie wrote:Don't blame me, I voted Liberal!

Just a different group of untrustworthy liars, I cant stomach voting for any of them anymore.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby FattyLumpkin » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:51 pm

Don't lose the hill. Most Gabba-ites up this way lament the sterile new Gabba & would have loved some of it's unique character maintained.

Keep the hill & if need be for the once in a lifetime World Cup Soccer - erect a temporary stand.
With your hands on your head, or the trigger of your gun
FattyLumpkin
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby gossipgirl » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:49 am

Booney wrote:Interesting debate on the roof issue. The general thought is that the average footy fan is now wanting a roof over the stadium they go to because they have grown "soft". A major part of the current platform for the Adelaide Oval redevelopment is the use of public transport to the city centre, well if people are soft they are not going to drive to the nearest train station,catch a train, walk nearly 1km from the train station to the oval and then do the same on the return trip home.

I live about 200m from a train station, I dont want to go to the city on the train to watch the footy, walk to the oval etc etc. but I will sit in the rain if my team is playing.

good point but I think its a minority of people that want a roof. I dont know anyone in my circle of friends that supports having a roof. They generally would rate having a decent playing service ahead of a roof and it seems at the moment you cant have both plus the ridiculous extra cost of a roof just cant be justified. Also in this debate how much are memberships etc going to increase whether at a redeveloped adelaide oval or the extremely expensive option of a new stadium ?
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:33 pm

FattyLumpkin wrote:Don't lose the hill. Most Gabba-ites up this way lament the sterile new Gabba & would have loved some of it's unique character maintained.

Keep the hill & if need be for the once in a lifetime World Cup Soccer - erect a temporary stand.

Spot on Fatty. The Gabba is a great ground but not a patch on the Oval. Geddit. Patch. :lol:

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:55 pm

*Long time bump*

Couldn't think of someone more deserving. Great honor for a great South Australian.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

South Australian media legend Ken “KG” Cunningham is to receive “the greatest honour that could be bestowed upon me and my family’’, with the Adelaide Oval media centre to be named after him.

From September 26, the media centre in the Riverbank Stand at Adelaide Oval will be known as the Ken ‘KG’ Cunningham Media Centre.

The Adelaide Oval Stadium Management Authority signed off on the honour as a way of recognising Cunningham’s lifetime achievement in sport and the media.

“Like Adelaide Oval itself, Ken is a South Australian icon and we’re absolutely delighted that he has agreed to allow his name to adorn our media centre,” Adelaide Oval SMA chair Rob Kerin said.

“He played cricket here, he umpired football here and he has spent countless hours here behind a microphone or in front of a camera – so it’s entirely fitting that his name will go on being associated with Adelaide Oval in this way.”

The naming of the media centre will be formalised at an official unveiling ceremony on September 26.

The idea was supported by Premier Peter Malinauskas who, together with another South Australian media legend, Bruce McAvaney, and former SANFL president Max Basheer, wrote to the SMA in May to give it their backing.

“I’m a bit overwhelmed by the honour, it’s all a bit too much for me,’’ an emotional Cunningham told The Advertiser.

“It’s the greatest honour that could be bestowed upon me and my family because Adelaide Oval has played such a significant role in my life.

“I am extremely humbled to be recognised in this way and at a place that has played such an important part in my life and is so close to my heart.

“Adelaide Oval is so special. It is where I played much of my first-class cricket, it is where I umpired SANFL grand finals, and it is somewhere I have absolutely loved coming to during my time in the media.

“My late father took me to the ground when I was 12 to join the Adelaide Cricket Club, where they played their home games and were coached by the late Clarrie Grimmett, and to think that 71 years later I’ve been honoured in this fashion has blown me completely and utterly out of the water.

“The media centre has been home to so many fantastic sports journalists in South Australia, so to be recognised with this honour means everything to me.”

Cunningham, 83, played 97 first-class matches for South Australia as a batting all-rounder from 1960-61 to 1974-75, captaining the team seven times and being a member of three Sheffield Shield-winning teams.

He also was a SANFL field umpire from 1961-67, officiating in four grand finals.

He was also an inaugural inductee into the Adelaide Oval Media Hall of Fame in 2016.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby locky801 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:14 pm

Strike me Pink
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach