Diary of some pregnant blokes

Anything!

Re: Diary of some pregnant blokes

Postby whufc » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:21 pm

Pseudo wrote:
whufc wrote:My youngest daughter was given an Irish name as a show of respect to my partner being from Northern Ireland. The daughters name is Aoife.

It causes all sorts of looks, pronunciations, questions. But we like it :lol: :lol:

Now that Aoife is 3 and understands abit about her Irish heritage she takes some pride in it. :lol:

I'll bite - how does one pronounce that?

I'm guessing Ow-fee.

EE-fa

Derived from the Irish word aoibh, meaning “beauty.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Wedgie » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:29 pm

Excuse my ignorance (genuinely curious and still learning about my own Irish background) but isn't it a gaelic name with Northern Ireland being the Brirish part of the island?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby whufc » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:49 pm

Wedgie wrote:Excuse my ignorance (genuinely curious and still learning about my own Irish background) but isn't it a gaelic name with Northern Ireland being the Brirish part of the island?

She was born in Northern Ireland but her family (parents/grand parents) have and always will be very pro Republic of Ireland. Couldn't honestly tell you why they have remained in Northern Ireland but I do know her parents were there during the troubles and that family members of hers 'say' they were involved with the IRA during that period...…..how true that is ill never know.

Add to that Hannah speaks fluent irish gaelic which occasionally gets spoken at home but can also speak Ulster Irish which is the most common language behind English in Northern Ireland because that is what she was taught in school.
whufc
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:55 pm

whufc wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Excuse my ignorance (genuinely curious and still learning about my own Irish background) but isn't it a gaelic name with Northern Ireland being the Brirish part of the island?

She was born in Northern Ireland but her family (parents/grand parents) have and always will be very pro Republic of Ireland. Couldn't honestly tell you why they have remained in Northern Ireland but I do know her parents were there during the troubles and that family members of hers 'say' they were involved with the IRA during that period.

Add to that Hannah speaks fluent irish gaelic but can also speak Ulster Irish which is the most common language behind English because that is what she was taught in school.

Cheers mate, I find it all very interesting. Does that mean her family was predominantly Catholic and not Protestant?
Want to know what part my ancestors are from but as my Dad was adopted I still haven't managed to track it down (or when/how I am 14% Scandinavian).
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby whufc » Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:00 pm

Wedgie wrote:
whufc wrote:

She was born in Northern Ireland but her family (parents/grand parents) have and always will be very pro Republic of Ireland. Couldn't honestly tell you why they have remained in Northern Ireland but I do know her parents were there during the troubles and that family members of hers 'say' they were involved with the IRA during that period.

Add to that Hannah speaks fluent irish gaelic but can also speak Ulster Irish which is the most common language behind English because that is what she was taught in school.

Cheers mate, I find it all very interesting. Does that mean her family was predominantly Catholic and not Protestant?
Want to know what part my ancestors are from but as my Dad was adopted I still haven't managed to track it down (or when/how I am 14% Scandinavian).

100% catholic......they haven't been practising since they moved to Australia but still expected our daughter to be 'christened' etc. My partner is a bit more progressive in that she says she doesn't really believe in god but she try to live life with the core Christian values in mind.

Me on the other hand had never been inside a church until recently. My Grandmother is from East London and is a very proud cockney monarchist. Lets just say before my granmothers passing her and the MIL used to sit at either end of the dinner table at Christmas shows and politics was not brought up.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:44 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Couldn’t be happier for you TDK!

Good luck mate, you’ll be a great dad

Donald or Ricky if a boy? [emoji38]
Hahaha, I don't think Donald will be an option but Ricky isn't a bad option and it's a unisex name. My wife has a list of both boy and girl names, we both don't want really common names or really odd and abstract names.

Marnus it is then. All the best!
Ha! My wife has looked and at considered Power players names but the only cricketers names I remember coming up in name conversation is Patrick (Cummins).
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Mr Beefy » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:04 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

Hahaha, I don't think Donald will be an option but Ricky isn't a bad option and it's a unisex name. My wife has a list of both boy and girl names, we both don't want really common names or really odd and abstract names.

Marnus it is then. All the best!
Ha! My wife has looked and at considered Power players names but the only cricketers names I remember coming up in name conversation is Patrick (Cummins).

My son is Patrick.
I was watching some of the Windies test yesterday, they were talking about how a lot of them have 3 christian names, particularly the Antiguan players. Perhaps you could look at them for some inspiration..... eg Eldine Ashworth Elderfield Baptiste or Curtly Elconn Lynwall Ambrose
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Armchair expert » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:15 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:

Ashton

you're welcome :lol:
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:34 pm

Armchair expert wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

Ashton

you're welcome [emoji38]
If Aston hasn't already been ruled out it has now. ;)
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:55 pm

Imran Sunil D….
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri May 06, 2022 9:34 pm

My wife is 21 weeks today, over halfway now! The time has flown by.

We had the gender scan on Wednesday and saw her obstetrician on Thursday, the first time I'd seen him awhile. Everything is going well and the scans on both Wednesday and Thursday filled us with confidence and for me it's getting more exciting and 'real' now. My wife is starting to feel the baby more and more.

Being the super organised people we are our baby room pretty much ready to go and we seem to have the majority of things we need. Over Easter and in Iso my wife has recycled and painted a chest of drawers that my parents had when I was a baby and I've held onto to use again one day and now it will be used in the baby room, it's come up an absolute treat. I also have a Ikea chair that I was given and she has recycled and painted so there's a bit of old and new in our baby room.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Psyber » Sat May 07, 2022 12:17 pm

Wedgie wrote:Cheers mate, I find it all very interesting. Does that mean her family was predominantly Catholic and not Protestant?

In my case my 10% Scandinavian and my Lappland sourced Mitochondria - which only come via females - relate to my mother being from Yorkshire where the Scandinavian "Danes" were based when they ruled a large part of Britain for many years.

PS: York was then Yorvik and the capital of the "Danelaw" which extended down the east coast to the northern bank of the Thames. There are a lot of Scandinavian genes in people whose ancestors came from that region.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:25 pm

Bump.

Well yesterday was the day our daughter came into the world, both mother and daughter are very tired but are doing well.
Incredibly proud day!
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Kahuna » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:32 pm

Congratulations TDK!
Kahuna
League - Top 5

Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 187 times

Postby DOC » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:37 pm

Great news. Hope it all goes well for everyone. Someone to keep you company late at night watching the cricket.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Brodlach » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:19 pm

Congratulations TDK, you’ll be an awesome dad!

Bought your daughter a Grey Nicolls yet?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:22 pm

DOC wrote:Great news. Hope it all goes well for everyone. Someone to keep you company late at night watching the cricket.
Yep haha, maybe some late nights coming up this week infact with the third Eng v SA test depending on when she comes home.
Brodlach wrote:Congratulations TDK, you’ll be an awesome dad!
Bought your daughter a Grey Nicolls yet?

God no haha, my wife won't let her near any cricket equipment! [emoji38]
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:30 pm

Congratulations young fella, fatherhood is the greatest feeling of achievement a man can have IMO.

Cherish every moment.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:04 pm

Congrats!
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:06 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:Bump.

Well yesterday was the day our daughter came into the world, both mother and daughter are very tired but are doing well.
Incredibly proud day!

Congratulations young man!

Please find attached registration link for womens cricket to sign her up :D :lol:

https://www.playhq.com/cricket-australi ... ter/6fcf09
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion