AFLW 2022

Talk on the national game

Re: AFLW 2022

Postby whufc » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:44 am

The Bedge wrote:
Booney wrote:Was a bloody good day at Alberton, seeing so many kids, little girls in particular, there's no doubt the game is getting new people involved.

Some early showers made it a bit uncomfortable in the outer and the shocking injury further dampened the atmosphere, the Bulldogs girls came out strong after half time and put the game to bed.

Port need some continuity across half forward, might need to find another key forward as Houghton competes and offers a presence but has little support in the air across the middle of the ground.

We went Saturday, kids loved it - lost them for half the game in the kids zone. Great crowd, good atmosphere for the most part.

Agree the injury sapped a lot of the energy out of the place. Port definitely lacked another forward target - seemed to get the ball forward well enough at times, but had nothing to kick to because Houghton had pushed up, so the kick was generally long to grass and the Bulldogs defence were up to task, and worked it out with speed.

3rd quarter, Port seemed to have all the run, just couldn't convert (Phillips hit the post then failed to make distance on set shot), and then closing on the end of the term 'Dogs scored on the kill the Port drive.

I know a lot of talk about skill is negative, but watching live, when under lesser pressure, the foot skills of most is pretty good. Ballard at Fullback was really good, Ewings looks a gun, and i'm a huge fan of O'Dea - bit to like about her.

The game struggles in congestion though - and my theory is, they've come into the game at a time that is over-analyzed, structured and coached. The press and zone like the men, they work hard two ways, and they're generally strong at sticking tackles and applying frontal pressure on the ball carrier. In a nutshell, they've been developed defensively to stop opposition scoring - and it shows.

If AFLW was played under the same conditions as AFL circa 1993, i think you'd see a far different spectacle. None the less, was a winner for our family.

Didn't go but heard lots of great reports about the 'carnival' style atmosphere that was super family friendly with many loving.

Imo this where the SANFL has missed a trick for years and given a leg up to AFLW even more than they had. The AFLW has a genuine alternative appeal to a day out at the footy compared to an AFL mens game.

We will definitely visit an AFLW game this year with the 3 daughters....sadly for me one of them goes to Playford Primary and has seen the Port womens time more times at the school than the centrals boys.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5584 times
Been liked: 2526 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:47 am

The Bedge wrote:
Booney wrote:Was a bloody good day at Alberton, seeing so many kids, little girls in particular, there's no doubt the game is getting new people involved.

Some early showers made it a bit uncomfortable in the outer and the shocking injury further dampened the atmosphere, the Bulldogs girls came out strong after half time and put the game to bed.

Port need some continuity across half forward, might need to find another key forward as Houghton competes and offers a presence but has little support in the air across the middle of the ground.

We went Saturday, kids loved it - lost them for half the game in the kids zone. Great crowd, good atmosphere for the most part.

Agree the injury sapped a lot of the energy out of the place. Port definitely lacked another forward target - seemed to get the ball forward well enough at times, but had nothing to kick to because Houghton had pushed up, so the kick was generally long to grass and the Bulldogs defence were up to task, and worked it out with speed.

3rd quarter, Port seemed to have all the run, just couldn't convert (Phillips hit the post then failed to make distance on set shot), and then closing on the end of the term 'Dogs scored on the kill the Port drive.

I know a lot of talk about skill is negative, but watching live, when under lesser pressure, the foot skills of most is pretty good. Ballard at Fullback was really good, Ewings looks a gun, and i'm a huge fan of O'Dea - bit to like about her.

The game struggles in congestion though - and my theory is, they've come into the game at a time that is over-analyzed, structured and coached. The press and zone like the men, they work hard two ways, and they're generally strong at sticking tackles and applying frontal pressure on the ball carrier. In a nutshell, they've been developed defensively to stop opposition scoring - and it shows.

If AFLW was played under the same conditions as AFL circa 1993, i think you'd see a far different spectacle. None the less, was a winner for our family.

The girl is a freak at whatever she does, comes from an amazing family too.

Interesting note, when my daughter played state cricket both Hannah and Darcie Brown were in the team, both of them have two older brothers that travelled to Queensland with us, both sets of families are very sports orientated and just magnificent people full stop, there must be a fair advantage for girls having older brothers when playing male dominated sports.

Hannah won the under 14 association medal in the Whyalla league for Roopena....................in a boys competition, her old man Jeff recently played his 450th game for Roopena.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:56 am

Feedback from one of the umpires in the Port v Dogs game

next level for the Dumbest/most ignorant crowd he's umpired in front of!

I told him I wasn't shocked at his assessment
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:57 am

am Bays wrote:Feedback from one of the umpires in the Port v Dogs game

Was he the shit one?

And what a f*cking idiot, of the 5300 people there would have been 2500 or more who have probably never been to a game, that's what happens when the game grows. Maggot.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7480 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:59 am

Nah he was the one not calling out of bounds in front of the Quinn stand in the 2nd qtr, when it was in by a metre.....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:00 pm

am Bays wrote:Nah he was the one not calling out of bounds in front of the Quinn stand in the 2nd qtr, when it was in by a metre.....

Oh, he just boundary umpires. Poor sod, can't even be an actual umpire.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby am Bays » Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:07 pm

Good to see you take constructive feedback well... ;)

You've got a nice oval to run on though
am Bays
Coach

Postby MW » Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:08 pm

Booney wrote:

Was he the shit one?

And what a f*cking idiot, of the 5300 people there would have been 2500 or more who have probably never been to a game, that's what happens when the game grows. Maggot.

:shock:
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2590 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby RB » Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:18 pm

Booney wrote:

Was he the shit one?

If I was watching a footy game for the first time I wouldn't be handing out advice to the umps, but maybe that's just me.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:28 pm

RB wrote:
Booney wrote:

Was he the shit one?

If I was watching a footy game for the first time I wouldn't be handing out advice to the umps, but maybe that's just me.

They need all the help that can get.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby am Bays » Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:30 pm

Booney wrote:
RB wrote:[If I was watching a footy game for the first time I wouldn't be handing out advice to the umps, but maybe that's just me.

They need all the help that can get.

Respect the game, respect the umpire
am Bays
Coach

Postby Trader » Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:40 pm

While I am far from someone who watches every game in the AFLW, of the ones I have seen, it would be fair to say the game is scrappier than the men's. The kicks don't go as far to clear out the players and you get more of a rolling mass of players rather than open flowing play. Add into that the fact that some of the skills (like tackling and spoiling) are a little more clumbsy than in the men's game where people have played their entire life, and its no surprise the game might be harder to umpire.

I think there are a lot more of those 50:50 calls that you could ping or could let go so they game doesn't just turn into constant whistles.

With this in mind, I have some sympathy for the umpires.

Having said that, I did think the male field umpire on the weekend was struggling more than the two girls.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Trader » Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:42 pm

am Bays wrote:Respect the game, respect the umpire

Respect is a two way street. Not sure how respectful the umpires are:

am Bays wrote:Feedback from one of the umpires in the Port v Dogs game:
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:54 pm

Trader wrote:
Having said that, I did think the male field umpire on the weekend was struggling more than the two girls.

He was awful, it was like he was watching the game on delay.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:40 pm

anyone have a rundown of the Freo v Geelong game? Interested to know when Freo got their rushed behind which resulted in their entire score for the day? Would have been a ripper game to watch.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Trader » Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:03 pm

Bum Crack wrote:anyone have a rundown of the Freo v Geelong game? Interested to know when Freo got their rushed behind which resulted in their entire score for the day? Would have been a ripper game to watch.

It was the final score of the game.
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:11 pm

Trader wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:anyone have a rundown of the Freo v Geelong game? Interested to know when Freo got their rushed behind which resulted in their entire score for the day? Would have been a ripper game to watch.

It was the final score of the game.

:shock:
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:18 pm

Trader wrote:While I am far from someone who watches every game in the AFLW, of the ones I have seen, it would be fair to say the game is scrappier than the men's. The kicks don't go as far to clear out the players and you get more of a rolling mass of players rather than open flowing play. Add into that the fact that some of the skills (like tackling and spoiling) are a little more clumbsy than in the men's game where people have played their entire life, and its no surprise the game might be harder to umpire.

I think there are a lot more of those 50:50 calls that you could ping or could let go so they game doesn't just turn into constant whistles.

With this in mind, I have some sympathy for the umpires.

Womens footy is a hell of a lot harder to umpire for those reasons, you've just gotta focus on player safety and less on the intricate calls, I tend to allow more to play on if the intent was there but call them up on sloppy tackles etc.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby shoe boy » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:47 pm

What was the sensitivity issue with the minutes silence prior to the games this wend.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Trader » Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:19 pm

shoe boy wrote:What was the sensitivity issue with the minutes silence prior to the games this wend.

I could be a mile off, I haven't looked into it, but my assumption is that it was meant to be indigenous round and instead the pre-game activities were taken over by some nod to the British empire, those b@stards who invaded us in the first place!

As I said, I could be wrong, but I suspect that's the line of thinking that has left some people upset.
Trader
Assistant Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL