retirements and upcoming signings

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: retirements and upcoming signings

Postby whufc » Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:46 pm

Got to be honest probably shows the mindset of where some our better players are at

If Trav genuinely thought the blokes could make the five next year and have a crack I highly doubt he would be taking the year off given the blood sweat and tears he has put into the club.

To me it’s a sign of how far behind we are.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:47 pm

whufc wrote:Got to be honest probably shows the mindset of where some our better players are at

If Trav genuinely thought the blokes could make the five next year and have a crack I highly doubt he would be taking the year off given the blood sweat and tears he has put into the club.

Geez, this took a lot longer to appear than I thought it would!
Of COURSE he will think we can make the 5 next season!
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1660 times
Been liked: 649 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby bulldogproud » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:59 am

gazzamagoo wrote:
whufc wrote:Got to be honest probably shows the mindset of where some our better players are at

Geez, this took a lot longer to appear than I thought it would!
Of COURSE he will think we can make the 5 next season!

His decision is certainly not based on any lack of confidence in our chances next season.
It is my understanding that Travis and his wife have received an excellent opportunity to teach in London next year, something they desire to do before starting a family. I wouldn't think that anyone would begrudge them that opportunity. Rather, I believe we should be very appreciative in Trav's efforts in being one of very few to pretty much 'carry' the club the past few seasons.
Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Big Phil » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:37 pm

South Adelaide will lose Ryan Garthwaite in season 2023, heading off the US to take up a College punting role.

Good full stop to his audition tape with his after the siren 65m torp in their last game of the season.
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby Aerie » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:42 am

Big Phil wrote:South Adelaide will lose Ryan Garthwaite in season 2023, heading off the US to take up a College punting role.

Good full stop to his audition tape with his after the siren 65m torp in their last game of the season.

Hopefully someone puts his tips up in The Gambling Room.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby Big Phil » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:19 pm

Sam Durdin has just inked a 1 year deal with Carlton.

So the Bays would have been hoping to see him back next year, but may have to wait now until 2024.
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby goddy11 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:10 pm

THE WOODVILLE WEST TORRENS FOOTBALL CLUB WISHES TO ADVISE THAT KOBE MUTCH HAS DECIDED TO LEAVE THE CLUB.

Kobe, a premiership player in 2021, informed the Club that due to his work and the location he lives, that he would like to commit to South Adelaide Football Club.

We thank Kobe for his service and wish him well in his future endeavours.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 564 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby DOC » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:20 pm

His brother played for us this year.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 730 times
Been liked: 2085 times

Postby Brodlach » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:35 pm

Mutch Ado About Nothing?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Aerie » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:49 pm

A Mutch better result for South this Preliminary Final weekend than the last couple!
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby DOC » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:17 pm

Aerie wrote:A Mutch better result for South this Preliminary Final weekend than the last couple!

Touche.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 730 times
Been liked: 2085 times

Postby another grub » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:13 am

Will Abe go on?
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 451 times
Been liked: 413 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:19 am

[quote="goddy11"]THE WOODVILLE WEST TORRENS FOOTBALL CLUB WISHES TO ADVISE THAT KOBE MUTCH HAS DECIDED TO LEAVE THE CLUB.

Kobe, a premiership player in 2021, informed the Club that due to his work and the location he lives, that he would like to commit to South Adelaide Football Club.

Well there you go, a player doesn't want to play for a club because it's too far to go to train, sound familiar?
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby whufc » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:27 am

gazzamagoo wrote:
goddy11 wrote:THE WOODVILLE WEST TORRENS FOOTBALL CLUB WISHES TO ADVISE THAT KOBE MUTCH HAS DECIDED TO LEAVE THE CLUB.

Well there you go, a player doesn't want to play for a club because it's too far to go to train, sound familiar?

So what do we do.....sit on our hands do stuff all and be crap for the next 30 years.....

What has the club done to try and find a solution????
whufc
Coach

Postby bulldogproud » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:13 am

whufc wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:
goddy11 wrote:THE WOODVILLE WEST TORRENS FOOTBALL CLUB WISHES TO ADVISE THAT KOBE MUTCH HAS DECIDED TO LEAVE THE CLUB.

So what do we do.....sit on our hands do stuff all and be crap for the next 30 years.....

Not sure what we can do. We can't exactly change our training location to somewhere close to the city just to encourage recruits. That would be unfair for the players we gain from the Barossa. We may just have to settle for the fact we will never be able to attract recruits from south of Gepps Cross whist the salary cap is so low that players have to have full-time jobs and get too exhausted to travel long distance for training.
The only alternative that I can see is gaining sponsorship from an employment agency that will set our players up with high-paying jobs that entail low hours of actual work (i.e. they get listed on the employment lists of other sponsors who have a deal with that employment agency - the 'employment' acts like a sponsorship of the player). I think we are too ethical to do that though.
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby blueandwhite » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:18 am

bulldogproud wrote:
whufc wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:

Not sure what we can do. We can't exactly change our training location to somewhere close to the city just to encourage recruits. That would be unfair for the players we gain from the Barossa. We may just have to settle for the fact we will never be able to attract recruits from south of Gepps Cross whist the salary cap is so low that players have to have full-time jobs and get too exhausted to travel long distance for training.
The only alternative that I can see is gaining sponsorship from an employment agency that will set our players up with high-paying jobs that entail low hours of actual work (i.e. they get listed on the employment lists of other sponsors who have a deal with that employment agency - the 'employment' acts like a sponsorship of the player). I think we are too ethical to do that though.

Sounds like a great initiative!- I wonder why no club has thought of that before......??? :roll: :roll: :roll: ;)
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby bulldogproud » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:21 am

Eggsactly ;)
Strange how that idea came to me when I was in discussion with someone from another club ;)
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:05 pm

whufc wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:

Appointed Mark Ross.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby whufc » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:38 pm

I agree he sounds like a good appointment.

If the only issue people don't want to live Elizabeth his in for a tough gig unless he can build a beach in Elizabeth :lol:

If the living and training distance is the main issue for recruits I don't see how we can avoid trying some kind of training format where one session a week is held in more of a city location or maybe one night a week (Monday being the lightest) they hold a city/country session albeit there will be challenges with trainers/coaches etc. Are they still required to do Sunday rehab sessions at the club.....could players be trusted to do rehab themselves on that day saving them a trip back to the beff.

If we cant ever rely on getting good quality recruits coz of location we are in some strife given its been documented on here by many that we face a heap of challenges with our metro region due to the demographic.

Just think the club really needs to think outside the square......

Maybe we need to recruit more like the Combe boys who were travelling from Crystal Brook to Prospect 3 times a week last season.

Maybe Edwards can find that magic key which has seen North be able to find talented country boys Combe x2, Lachie Wilsdon, Sam McInerney, (Matt Longbottom & Charlie Dinning who will be top 3 in the ressies B&F and look league prospects) 3 of them are not even from Norths country zone......i hope we aren't still looking in country NSW for new talent.

I am excited by hopefully the change Edwards and Ross bring.......looking forward to this off season.
whufc
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:46 pm

Question for the Dogs fans, during the Golden period, did most/many/all recruits live out North?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL