2022 AFL Grand Final Geelong v Sydney

Talk on the national game

Re: 2022 AFL Grand Final Geelong v Sydney

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:08 am

Bum Crack wrote:
DOC wrote:Both Reid and Holmes still not ruled out.

Think both will be named just to keep the intrigue going.

There's no way Reid plays.

I reckon he will be ok. It seemed more precautionary. He seemed in good spirits after the game. I think Holmes is the less likely one unfortunately.

But I agree if he isn’t good to go (sadly) he can’t play.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3023 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:54 am

DOC wrote:Everyone expected Port to turn up in 2007. When are they getting there?

No they didn't.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby MatteeG » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:55 am

if its relatively dry, I'll go Swannies by 6 goals.

Going with the rationale of a cliff hanger Prelim being better preparation than a 12 goal belting.

Weather depending too. Wet will suit the bigger cats IMO.

Big Tom Hickey to get the Normy.

This one is a real kick back and watch one for me- both teams on a similar "Rather both of them dont win" situation.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:59 am

Booney wrote:
carey wrote:I'm tipping a flop.

Geelong by 52

Gut feel tells me the same. Cameron kicks 6, Hawkins 3, Stengoal 2 and Dangerfield wins the Norm Smith ($7) with 34 and a goal.

7 legger:

Geelong 40+
Over 164.5
Cameron 4 goals
Stengoal, Hawkins 2 goals
Papsmear, Danger 1 goal

Paying 44's
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:17 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:
DOC wrote:Both Reid and Holmes still not ruled out.

Think both will be named just to keep the intrigue going.

There's no way Reid plays.

I reckon he will be ok. It seemed more precautionary. He seemed in good spirits after the game. I think Holmes is the less likely one unfortunately.

But I agree if he isn’t good to go (sadly) he can’t play.
With Holmes- there's no such thing as a one week hamstring injury and he was in distress when he came off on Friday night but yesterday there was footage off him running at training so perhaps it's not that bad?
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10325 times
Been liked: 1519 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:29 am

When it comes to the modern day AFL Grand Final we’ve seen some classics, in recent times however that’s not been the case.

West Coast by 5 points over Collingwood in 2018 and Sydney over Hawthorn by 10 points in 2012 the only games post the 2010 draw to be won by under 2 goals, for the last 10 years Grand Finals have been more final than grand but this one shapes up a little differently.

Perennial contenders Geelong, with 7 preliminary finals in the last 10 years up against the Sydney Swans who have bounced back into contention after winning 8 games in 2019 and just 5 in 2020*.

This one has all the hall marks of a classic. Here’s why.

The focus, rightly, for many years has been on and around the contest however modern teams, particularly at the top of the table, have such midfield strength and depth gaining a match winning advantage at the contest can be difficult. You start to lose the contest, you shut things down. So where does the real contest happen and where are scores generated?
On the turnover, that’s where.

There’s nearly twice as many turnovers in a game than there are clearances and the two teams taking to the field on Saturday are as good at scoring from turnovers as any one. In fact, they are the best. Since round 18 Geelong rank #1 and Sydney #2 for points differential from turnovers.
What does that mean? When they get the ball off you nobody is better at turning that into scores.
They also rank #1, Geelong and #3, Sydney, for opposition scores per inside 50.

What does that mean? When you have the ball and get it forward nobody is better at stopping you from scoring.

Shapes up pretty well, doesn’t it?

So how do they do it?

Geelong have the best defensive unit in the game, certainly the best intercept unit and system in the game. If you manage to lock down Stewart, De Koning gets in the way, if you lock him down Kolodjashnij comes across the pack. Henry is always willing and able to impact and in the times of need Stanley or Blicavs will happily roll up the sleeves to drop back and help. Touhy, Bews and Stewart all happy to mop up any mess.

Chris Scott noted some time ago the Cats identified running power as one of their weaknesses, since then Smith has come in from Hawthorn, Holmes covers the other wing like few others and forward, while big man Hawkins had been the target, successfully and for so long, they needed to add variety and the mobility of Cameron has added to the problem that can be Rohan, you now have to cover them both in the air and on the ground.

Throw in Stengle and Close getting up to the wing to allow the wingers to slide back and the Geelong team defense is the best in the game. This defense allows attack, Hawkins and Cameron with 60+ goals and Stengle with 49, numbers rarely seen in the same side. The best offence on the back of the best defence. No wonder they were two games clear on top.

Sydney do things slightly differently, but just as effectively. Up front they are led by Franklin, who after nailing his 1000th goal earlier this year has 52, Heeney right behind him with 48 and the spread gives Hayward 33 and Papley 31. They’ve also got multiple avenues to goal. In the back half the names might not be as big but the job gets done, Geelong’s defense concedes the least amount of points, Sydney’s is next.

Brothers McCartin are as good as any 1-2 aerial duo in the game, slightly loose unit Rampe plays taller and smaller than he actually is while Lloyd and Blakey generate run and carry. When they don’t run and carry they hunt. Rowbottom, Mills, Parker and Heeney all in the top 25 for tackles in the competition. This creates a frenzy around the ball and Sydney love it. They don’t like playing the uncontested game, 11th for uncontested possessions. They want to earn it and they make you earn it.

Into the middle and we’ve got grunt on both sides, Dangerfield, Selwood, Gurthrie, Blicavs, Atkins, Duncan, rotations keep coming. They’ll deal with the pressure Rowbottom, Mills, Parker, Warner and Florent throw at them.
See, it shapes as a classic.

With 15 wins on the trot, a tough win over Collingwood before a free pass over the Lions and without travel has Geelong primed and rightly favorite.
Sydney are 9 on the trot and couldn’t have asked for better preparation than a hard fought 1 point win over Collingwood ( must say, typing two close losses in finals for Collingwood then was a bit of fun ) after knocking out last years premiers in week 1.

A classic awaits.

My gut feel tells me Geelong win, I think their back half has the ability and willingness to hold their shape and make Sydney work harder to score than any side has in the last 10 weeks.
Geelong by 13 points.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby am Bays » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:54 am

I think Geelong are going to "ruin this as a contest" by half time.

Wont be a 119 point blow out but I get the sense that for a number cats this is there last chance saloon for a flag that they've been building for for teh last four years.

Sydney will have their period in the sun for part of the game but the damage will have been done

Cats to get the cream, IMO
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

Postby MW » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:19 pm

Booney wrote:When it comes to the modern day AFL Grand Final we’ve seen some classics, in recent times however that’s not been the case.

West Coast by 5 points over Collingwood in 2018 and Sydney over Hawthorn by 10 points in 2012 the only games post the 2010 draw to be won by under 2 goals, for the last 10 years Grand Finals have been more final than grand but this one shapes up a little differently.

Perennial contenders Geelong, with 7 preliminary finals in the last 10 years up against the Sydney Swans who have bounced back into contention after winning 8 games in 2019 and just 5 in 2020*.

This one has all the hall marks of a classic. Here’s why.

The focus, rightly, for many years has been on and around the contest however modern teams, particularly at the top of the table, have such midfield strength and depth gaining a match winning advantage at the contest can be difficult. You start to lose the contest, you shut things down. So where does the real contest happen and where are scores generated?
On the turnover, that’s where.

There’s nearly twice as many turnovers in a game than there are clearances and the two teams taking to the field on Saturday are as good at scoring from turnovers as any one. In fact, they are the best. Since round 18 Geelong rank #1 and Sydney #2 for points differential from turnovers.
What does that mean? When they get the ball off you nobody is better at turning that into scores.
They also rank #1, Geelong and #3, Sydney, for opposition scores per inside 50.

What does that mean? When you have the ball and get it forward nobody is better at stopping you from scoring.

Shapes up pretty well, doesn’t it?

So how do they do it?

Geelong have the best defensive unit in the game, certainly the best intercept unit and system in the game. If you manage to lock down Stewart, De Koning gets in the way, if you lock him down Kolodjashnij comes across the pack. Henry is always willing and able to impact and in the times of need Stanley or Blicavs will happily roll up the sleeves to drop back and help. Touhy, Bews and Stewart all happy to mop up any mess.

Chris Scott noted some time ago the Cats identified running power as one of their weaknesses, since then Smith has come in from Hawthorn, Holmes covers the other wing like few others and forward, while big man Hawkins had been the target, successfully and for so long, they needed to add variety and the mobility of Cameron has added to the problem that can be Rohan, you now have to cover them both in the air and on the ground.

Throw in Stengle and Close getting up to the wing to allow the wingers to slide back and the Geelong team defense is the best in the game. This defense allows attack, Hawkins and Cameron with 60+ goals and Stengle with 49, numbers rarely seen in the same side. The best offence on the back of the best defence. No wonder they were two games clear on top.

Sydney do things slightly differently, but just as effectively. Up front they are led by Franklin, who after nailing his 1000th goal earlier this year has 52, Heeney right behind him with 48 and the spread gives Hayward 33 and Papley 31. They’ve also got multiple avenues to goal. In the back half the names might not be as big but the job gets done, Geelong’s defense concedes the least amount of points, Sydney’s is next.

Brothers McCartin are as good as any 1-2 aerial duo in the game, slightly loose unit Rampe plays taller and smaller than he actually is while Lloyd and Blakey generate run and carry. When they don’t run and carry they hunt. Rowbottom, Mills, Parker and Heeney all in the top 25 for tackles in the competition. This creates a frenzy around the ball and Sydney love it. They don’t like playing the uncontested game, 11th for uncontested possessions. They want to earn it and they make you earn it.

Into the middle and we’ve got grunt on both sides, Dangerfield, Selwood, Gurthrie, Blicavs, Atkins, Duncan, rotations keep coming. They’ll deal with the pressure Rowbottom, Mills, Parker, Warner and Florent throw at them.
See, it shapes as a classic.

With 15 wins on the trot, a tough win over Collingwood before a free pass over the Lions and without travel has Geelong primed and rightly favorite.
Sydney are 9 on the trot and couldn’t have asked for better preparation than a hard fought 1 point win over Collingwood ( must say, typing two close losses in finals for Collingwood then was a bit of fun ) after knocking out last years premiers in week 1.

A classic awaits.

My gut feel tells me Geelong win, I think their back half has the ability and willingness to hold their shape and make Sydney work harder to score than any side has in the last 10 weeks.
Geelong by 13 points.

Jeez mate can you actually put some thought into it next time?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2590 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:22 pm

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Hound » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:04 pm

Anyone know if you can watch the curtain raiser NAB Futures game on GF day and then get a pass out to catch up with friends and then back in for the main game?
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:38 pm

The Hound wrote:Anyone know if you can watch the curtain raiser NAB Futures game on GF day and then get a pass out to catch up with friends and then back in for the main game?

Bragger :lol:
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:14 pm

The Hound wrote:Anyone know if you can watch the curtain raiser NAB Futures game on GF day and then get a pass out to catch up with friends and then back in for the main game?

Of course you can
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:52 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:

Of course you can

You can hand me your ticket when you see your mates and I'll pop in there for a look then hand it back to you before the main game ;)
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Hound » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:02 pm

Lightning and Beefy

Wish I was bragging, but i am not a corporate high flyer :lol: hard to get a ticket for the common man :roll:
Lady at work is a Cats supporter X 4 tickets but is reluctant to share them! even offered to pay to use for a couple of hours to offset her expense but nope.
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:23 pm

The Hound wrote:Lightning and Beefy

Wish I was bragging, but i am not a corporate high flyer :lol: hard to get a ticket for the common man :roll:
Lady at work is a Cats supporter X 4 tickets but is reluctant to share them! even offered to pay to use for a couple of hours to offset her expense but nope.

I was referring to having friends to catch up with :lol: :lol:

All BS aside, I'm envious for anyone that gets to go in, I nearly scored a box ticket for the GABBA GF, a few of our bosses get an invite and I offer my services for any late pull outs.

Enjoy the experience mate.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:48 pm

Every Hawthorn Fan ever wrote:if its relatively dry, I'll go Swannies by 6 goals.

This one is a real kick back and watch one for me- both teams on a similar "Rather both of them dont win" situation.

:D
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1817 times

Postby MatteeG » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:47 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Every Hawthorn Fan ever wrote:if its relatively dry, I'll go Swannies by 6 goals.

Love ya REB. A legs/cats double will have me in a serious state...
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:18 pm

MatteeG wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:

Love ya REB. A legs/cats double will have me in a serious state...

Oh really?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:51 pm

Former Sydney captain and Brownlow medallist Paul Kelly will present the premiership cup to Sydney on Saturday should they be successful
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3023 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Postby MW » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:52 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:Former Sydney captain and Brownlow medallist Paul Kelly will present the premiership cup to Sydney on Saturday should they be successful

Save the trip Paul.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2590 times
Been liked: 1830 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL