PDCA

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: PDCA

Postby BenchedEagle » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:31 pm

The Bedge wrote:
BenchedEagle wrote:My ideal picture of PdCA is Grade 1/2 back to 8 sides with A grade sides only. (But no club wants to extend themselves and do the right thing and go up a grade)
Grade 3 down is B grade maximum.
Mix of 2 dayers and 1 dayers, 2 day finals.
LO1 for all other A grades, no matter the level they ‘think’ they should play.

Whilst we (I) might whinge about grading, reality is we would play where picked - but your comment about no clubs "wants to extend themselves and do the right thing and go up a grade" is pretty harsh when you consider the churn and turn over of clubs in the top flights that seek refuge in a lower grade year in year out.. to me the "right thing" is for these clubs to work towards improving.

I mean clubs like Parafield Gardens, Smithfield, North Pines etc - they all know end of the season what grade they're going to be in.. so why not build towards that, instead of waiting until September and declaring they cant play in xx grade?

LO1 for all A grades is also silly - just because you wear an "A" at the end of your club name, doesn't mean you're an A grade side, or capable - for instance Trinity were a C or D grade side for their club, Gepps Cross this year are fielding their 6th and 7th sides (or something ridiculous like that).

Make all LO grades promotion / relegation same as the two day stuff - if you're good enough, you'll climb the grades, if you're not you'll find your place in the lower grades.

Everyone wants the competition to grow, and you talk about saving clubs by letting them go to LO1 instead of playing in the 2 day comp, but you're not actually doing them any favours if you're placing them in an LO level where they're going to be smacked every week either.
Gepps X, Athelstone, Trinity I agree their sides should not be considered A grade and I think the grading naming may possibly reflect that reality this season.

Im saying Pirates, Vista, Hazara, Warriors (could be their A side), AdelaideUnion, Salisbury North, Adelaide Risers et al should be considered A grade and made to play LO1.

Where do you draw the line between clubs wanting to work towards improving and the integrity of a serious Grade 1/2 focused competition? Can you see how big a problem this is to balance individual needs over the comp as a whole?

Sorry if my comments seemed harsh, it wasn’t a aimed at any specific club(s)
BenchedEagle
League - Top 5

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 50 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:39 pm

Fight me. 8) :lol:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3996 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:46 pm

BenchedEagle wrote:
My ideal picture of PdCA is Grade 1/2 back to 8 sides with A grade sides only. (But no club wants to extend themselves and do the right thing and go up a grade)

Eternally the optimist I know once the season gets started all will be well and the PDCA will again have over 1000 players playing the great game of Cricket every weekend.

How is it the right thing when they finished the season mid table of Grade 2 and have to go up to Grade 1 where they will get rolled for 30, chase 500 then get rolled for 16 in the 2nd dig with 8 players to bat.

Sometimes it isn't the clubs fault, especially when a heap of coin is thrown at some of their players and they leave.

All the PDCA try and do is accommodate as people they can to play cricket in a grade that suits their skill level, it's people that f*** the system.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby BenchedEagle » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:11 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
BenchedEagle wrote:
My ideal picture of PdCA is Grade 1/2 back to 8 sides with A grade sides only. (But no club wants to extend themselves and do the right thing and go up a grade)

Eternally the optimist I know once the season gets started all will be well and the PDCA will again have over 1000 players playing the great game of Cricket every weekend.

How is it the right thing when they finished the season mid table of Grade 2 and have to go up to Grade 1 where they will get rolled for 30, chase 500 then get rolled for 16 in the 2nd dig with 8 players to bat.

Sometimes it isn't the clubs fault, especially when a heap of coin is thrown at some of their players and they leave.

All the PDCA try and do is accommodate as people they can to play cricket in a grade that suits their skill level, it's people that f*** the system.
I mean as a one off decision to do what would be the best thing for the league and make the leap for one season so we can get back to 8 sides.

Yes every club thinks they will struggle going up, but I guarantee you thats not the only factor they consider.. clubs will always look to strengthen their own flag hopes if they can, its only natural to want success.
BenchedEagle
League - Top 5

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 50 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:21 pm

As a club we have always been eager to play as high as we can, and often sacrificed opportunity for success - evident in the fact we haven’t won an A grade premiership since 1983, yet spent a large deal of time in division 1 of churches for the betterment of the comp, and then found ourselves climbing the grades in PDCA to Grade 2

However, reality is we just don’t have the players to play Grade 2 at the moment - only have to look over recent years prior to last season to see we were whipping boys.

Having said that, if we made the GF last year I would’ve pushed hard to go up - I feel it’s the best way to attract better players.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:31 pm

BenchedEagle wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
BenchedEagle wrote:

I mean as a one off decision to do what would be the best thing for the league and make the leap for one season so we can get back to 8 sides.

Yes every club thinks they will struggle going up, but I guarantee you thats not the only factor they consider.. clubs will always look to strengthen their own flag hopes if they can, its only natural to want success.

That is now a pipe dream, they struggle with an even comp with only 6 teams, 8 in the top grade is a thing of the past.

At the end of the day, does it really matter? Wouldn't you rather see an even competition across the top two or three grades?

As it is I have no idea who takes up the 6th spot in Grade 1, Smithfield are NIL but won't, can't see NEK taking it and apparently Eyre won't be taking.

Grade 2 will be a sorry state of affairs this season, Royals, NEK and ATCO will score a few outrights.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby #bleedredandblue » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:33 pm

Units to stay in grade 2 with a few handy recruits, take the piss, win another flag, and crown another Div 2 medalist with 40 wickets + 440 runs whilst being partly intoxicated majority of the time.. congrats to the units
#bleedredandblue
Under 16s

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 52 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:11 pm

From an outsiders perspective is it time to go to one day cricket 100%? Would this fix the problems of good teams hiding in LO1?
Perhaps start with top 4 from div 1 and top 4 from LO1, would that work and then promotion/relegation no ifs buts or candynuts. If yuor significantly weaker the next season bad luck, suck it up.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Observer55 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:44 pm

The Bedge wrote:
BenchedEagle wrote:My ideal picture of PdCA is Grade 1/2 back to 8 sides with A grade sides only. (But no club wants to extend themselves and do the right thing and go up a grade)

Whilst we (I) might whinge about grading, reality is we would play where picked - but your comment about no clubs "wants to extend themselves and do the right thing and go up a grade" is pretty harsh when you consider the churn and turn over of clubs in the top flights that seek refuge in a lower grade year in year out.. to me the "right thing" is for these clubs to work towards improving.

I mean clubs like Parafield Gardens, Smithfield, North Pines etc - they all know end of the season what grade they're going to be in.. so why not build towards that, instead of waiting until September and declaring they cant play in xx grade?

LO1 for all A grades is also silly - just because you wear an "A" at the end of your club name, doesn't mean you're an A grade side, or capable - for instance Trinity were a C or D grade side for their club, Gepps Cross this year are fielding their 6th and 7th sides (or something ridiculous like that).

Make all LO grades promotion / relegation same as the two day stuff - if you're good enough, you'll climb the grades, if you're not you'll find your place in the lower grades.

Everyone wants the competition to grow, and you talk about saving clubs by letting them go to LO1 instead of playing in the 2 day comp, but you're not actually doing them any favours if you're placing them in an LO level where they're going to be smacked every week either.

I am excited to see the change, been long over due. I think it will breathe a new life into the comp.

However the transition from MyCricket to HQ doesn’t excuse a lack of fixture for clubs to plan social events around, two years running.
Observer55

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 1 time

Postby whufc » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:29 am

daysofourlives wrote:From an outsiders perspective is it time to go to one day cricket 100%? Would this fix the problems of good teams hiding in LO1?
Perhaps start with top 4 from div 1 and top 4 from LO1, would that work and then promotion/relegation no ifs buts or candynuts. If yuor significantly weaker the next season bad luck, suck it up.

Whilst your probably right in that it would solve a lot of the grading issues, i think many club especially the div1 clubs (players in those close) still really want 2 two day cricket.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:58 pm

daysofourlives wrote:From an outsiders perspective is it time to go to one day cricket 100%? Would this fix the problems of good teams hiding in LO1?

The two Justin's won't know themselves bowling 20 overs less each Saturday.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:20 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

The two Justin's won't know themselves bowling 20 overs less each Saturday.

What about Baz from at the Gardens.......the bloke would never score more than ten and get his keeping overs cut down by half.
whufc
Coach

Postby Richo_37 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:30 pm

From where we are today I see this as the only real solution that could make PDCA stronger in the long term. Maybe make Div 1&2 50 over games. This was the structure they had in WA when I was over there. I know FIFO work was a contributing factor to eliminating 2 day cricket
Richo_37
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Angle Vale

Postby whufc » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:38 pm

Richo_37 wrote:

From where we are today I see this as the only real solution that could make PDCA stronger in the long term. Maybe make Div 1&2 50 over games. This was the structure they had in WA when I was over there. I know FIFO work was a contributing factor to eliminating 2 day cricket

Pretty good suggestion to be honest only thing there is you would maybe need to start at 12pm with the potential for 100 overs in the day.

In the Stanley Comp we played 45 per side and games started at 1pm. If the game went the distance you weren't finishing until about 6:30pm even close to 7 and i would see we had a fair few more spinners and 3 step med bowlers than higher PDCA grades would have. We had a pretty decent innings break though :lol:
whufc
Coach

Postby Richo_37 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:59 pm

whufc wrote:
Richo_37 wrote:

Pretty good suggestion to be honest only thing there is you would maybe need to start at 12pm with the potential for 100 overs in the day.

In the Stanley Comp we played 45 per side and games started at 1pm. If the game went the distance you weren't finishing until about 6:30pm even close to 7 and i would see we had a fair few more spinners and 3 step med bowlers than higher PDCA grades would have. We had a pretty decent innings break though :lol:

With 2 umpires in grade 1 they should be able to manage and enforce over rates. I think clubs should be willing for their top grade to start earlier to allow time for more overs.
Richo_37
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Angle Vale

Postby Observer55 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:35 pm

300%

What is the worst thing that happens, it doesn’t work and revert back to standard proceedings the following? The best thing that happens, become the Premier limited overs competition in n the state?
Observer55

Postby Observer55 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:42 pm

Richo_37 wrote:
whufc wrote:
Richo_37 wrote:

With 2 umpires in grade 1 they should be able to manage and enforce over rates. I think clubs should be willing for their top grade to start earlier to allow time for more overs.

Also there is a lack of spinners bowling overs in the two day format, over rates build a habitat of necessity for ‘slow’ bowlers to get through a couple of overs.

The all round product would benefit for at least a year trial of limited overs cricket.

Grades 1-3 A Grade, 4-Down Bs and below. Run a T20 comp within the season and have it location based (Elizabeth, Pt Wakefield Rd and ‘Inner suburbs’) and limit it to two sides per club.
Observer55

Postby whufc » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:38 am

You would 100% have to start games earlier or be willing to play later if your playing 100 overs. 1pm-6pm (5 hours of play) which is in effect 4 & 1/2 hours of play with innings break and two drinks breaks.

That's 270 minutes to get through potentially 100 overs..........not going to happen.

Would players prefer a 12pm start or would they rather games go to 7pm?

I think either way clubs and players would be willing if they thought it was for the betterment of the comp. A pure one day comp though could be a hard sell for a couple of div1 clubs.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:35 am

50 overs is closer to 2 day cricket than not, so calling it a pure one day comp shouldn’t really have a huge impact on feelings.

Back in the day though, Churches used to play overs, not end game once result was achieved. This meant that sides could still chase an outright in a one day match.

If G1 clubs want the best of both worlds, maybe this could be a consideration.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:38 am

The Bedge wrote:50 overs is closer to 2 day cricket than not, so calling it a pure one day comp shouldn’t really have a huge impact on feelings.

Back in the day though, Churches used to play overs, not end game once result was achieved. This meant that sides could still chase an outright in a one day match.

If G1 clubs want the best of both worlds, maybe this could be a consideration.

Yeah 100%...….I think its a great solution if it means the competition stops having the grading issues faced then its a pretty good compromise for all clubs.
whufc
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps