2022 AFL Grand Final Geelong v Sydney

Talk on the national game

Re: 2022 AFL Grand Final Geelong v Sydney

Postby Vamos » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:24 am

Geelong are that good they could even hide Brian, Grien, "Grug" Miers in their side. Biggest flag spud since no one....
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 469 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Vamos » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:34 am

Last edited by Vamos on Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 469 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby tigerpie » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:44 am

Booney wrote:
tigerpie wrote:Pies v Geelong would've been a much more even contest.
Swans picking Reid was dumb.
Cats just ran off him.

They didn't make it so it's pointless.

Obviously, but just saying, we could've actually beaten them if the ball bounce and umpires went our way.
And 22 fit players.
Geelong were great but Sydney were basically one short on field.
Played perfectly into Geelong's defenders hands.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:24 am

tigerpie wrote:
Booney wrote:
tigerpie wrote:Pies v Geelong would've been a much more even contest.
Swans picking Reid was dumb.
Cats just ran off him.

They didn't make it so it's pointless.

Obviously, but just saying, we could've actually beaten them if the ball bounce and umpires went our way.
And 22 fit players.
Geelong were great but Sydney were basically one short on field.
Played perfectly into Geelong's defenders hands.

Dumbest argument ever. Geelong would’ve smashed all in sundry yesterday regardless who they played.
Playing Reid was dumb. But it made zero difference. Not like Logan would’ve kicked 10.

Best swans in my opinion
Warner
Fox
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby tigerpie » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:06 am

No, they smashed you because they had a spare defender from the first bounce until half time.
I know you'll still be snakey about the loss, and all credit to Sydney last week, but it turned out to be a fizzer.
With the crowd so big a close game would've been electric!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby am Bays » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:13 am

Sorry no one was getting within 10 goals yesterday

Their freshness and game style - quick ball movement - and their defensive set up meant this game had an almost 2007 feel about it.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby tigerpie » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:21 am

am Bays wrote:Sorry no one was getting within 10 goals yesterday

Their freshness and game style - quick ball movement - and their defensive set up meant this game had an almost 2007 feel about it.

Nah, like port, Sydney made them look good.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:42 am

Jase wrote:So did I miss anything today?

I was judging a gymnastics comp...

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

of course you were. :D

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:47 am

tigerpie wrote:
am Bays wrote:Sorry no one was getting within 10 goals yesterday

Nah, like port, Sydney made them look good.

BWAHAHA. Yeah, with Colligwood's stellar grand final record, and having played the extra final as well...we would have been in all sorts of bother yesterday. :D

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Armchair expert » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:49 am

Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 1435 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby DOC » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:00 pm

Sydney were much improved this year (Obviously) and were so because they honed what they have been doing for years with pretty much the same formula.

Collingwood were also much improved. That's because they brought in a coach.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 730 times
Been liked: 2085 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:37 pm

Well how good was that boyos? As the week wore on I was becoming more and more nervous about the outcome of this game. Something that came up often was Sydney's consistently outstanding pressure rating and how Geelong might be vulnerable. Geelong had been vulnerable to pressure in many previous campaigns so I thought there was something to it. When the game (finally) started, Geelong came out and kicked and kicked and kicked. In the past Geelong would handball like crazy when under the pump but yesterday, when the game was there to be won, we took territory. I think Scott has been outstanding in the coaches box this year and this approach denied Sydney their defensive set up and the ball lived in our half.

Selwood in that first quarter was immense. 12 possessions at 83% and coming off the bench. Nuffies can say what they like but this bloke is an amazing footballer. Smith chose the absolute best time to put in his best stint as a Cat. His first two goals were vital as we stamped our authority and his run was needed seeing as the unlucky Holmes missed the cut. Geelong' big story Tyson Stengle had a freakish game. Kicking amazing long distance goals including the goal that put us up 7-1 up. That was the moment this pessimistic Cat became a lot less pessimistic. Tom Hawkins terrorised McCartin and anytime he gets a ruck snap goal its always a bonus as the whole league knows he does it, but stopping him doing it is another matter.

I reckon Paddy was stiff not to take Normie home as he had a solid game. My opinion of him has lifted this season and he's shown that can produce in the big games if fit. Geelong cop a lot of shit for being old but what it leads to is boys against men and the men usually win. Sydney are going to be a real handful with the young talent they have but some of their young stars have had literally 10 less preseasons than the Cats. Full credit to the conditioning staff and the coaching this season. Not since 2009 has Geelong got it this right. Hats off to our ruck pairing as well. Fox put up a post that has not aged well...ranking Blicavs and Stanley as the worst ruck pairing in the league. Scott uses the ruck to help set up the loose in defence and it's been a premiership winning tactic, a key to our 16 match run. It doesn't even matter which one is the loose that's the beauty of it. It's like we have seven Alir Alirs out there.

Poor old Rohan and Miers remain the whipping boys to outsiders but they are literally 21 and 22 on our list. People bagging Miers have a short memory..he was close to best on in the Prelim. People bagging Rohan, their memory isn't all that great either as he was vital when we defeated Collingwood. These guys both play vital roles in the team and can be match winners on their day, and they've both had one this September.

For the Swans it was a day to forget. The decision to give Budd an extra year looks a poor one. Budd at his best in the Grand Final would have been a sight to see but maybe he played too many matches this year. The decision to pick Reid clearly backfired but you could see how important a fit Reid is to their structure in the Prelim. However he wasn't fit and made zero impact. Meanwhile, the Cats didn't risk Holmes. I thought Fox was the best Swan and he beat Cameron hands down. Warner was also good but his number one ranking was laughable as he did his best work after the game was already decided. I thought Parker and Rowbottom had their moments but the Swans looked light on in the middle, especially when Horse set up Mills as a spare in defence. Papley didnt have a big game but I thought he worked his guts out.

It was an emotional win for us Catters as the skip banged through a late goal. We've been getting our arses handed to us for ten years in finals and it was nice to dish it out to someone else for a change. I thought we'd be lucky to win a final this year and finish 6-10 so this flag is an absolute bonus. WE ARE GEELONG.

regards,

REB

ps - Channel 7's coverage is dogshit.
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:20 pm

I didn't think Sydney were a chance yesterday but geez what a boring spectacle. If Carlton ever get to a grand final again I'd hope it's as boring and one sided as yesterday's was. In reality, it was over in the first 5 minutes of the game. Sydney were as bad as Geelong was good.

I had a couple of multis yesterday which came up. Both had Geelong over 40 and some goalkickers.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby mal » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:25 pm

REB Which one feels better?

The Norwood Premiership
The Geelong Premiership
Playing cricket with Booney
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1152 times
Been liked: 904 times

Postby Booney » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:49 pm

mal wrote:REB Which one feels better?

The Norwood Premiership
The Geelong Premiership
Playing cricket with Booney

Silly question.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby mal » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:17 pm

REB is a lucky man
If we deemed all SANFL/AFL teams as having equal probability of winning the flag then the formula would be :
18 AFL teams x 10 SANFL teams = $181-00 as odds
I would think at times earlier in the season, the NW/GE Premiership double was at about 100/1

My teams came close in 1997 NW/SK double
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1152 times
Been liked: 904 times

Postby marbles » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:56 pm

gadj1976 wrote:I didn't think Sydney were a chance yesterday but geez what a boring spectacle. If Carlton ever get to a grand final again I'd hope it's as boring and one sided as yesterday's was. In reality, it was over in the first 5 minutes of the game. Sydney were as bad as Geelong was good.

I had a couple of multis yesterday which came up. Both had Geelong over 40 and some goalkickers.

probably been mentioned already but it was 2007 Geelong vs Port all over again

at 9am had the whole back deck set up with outdoor tv and speakers and party streamers everywhere and couches, by 3rd quarter had it all packed up haha and turned it off
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:48 pm

marbles wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:I didn't think Sydney were a chance yesterday but geez what a boring spectacle. If Carlton ever get to a grand final again I'd hope it's as boring and one sided as yesterday's was. In reality, it was over in the first 5 minutes of the game. Sydney were as bad as Geelong was good.

probably been mentioned already but it was 2007 Geelong vs Port all over again

at 9am had the whole back deck set up with outdoor tv and speakers and party streamers everywhere and couches, by 3rd quarter had it all packed up haha and turned it off

Yep, the only interest for me was the Norm Smith, which we had a sweep for and Cameron, who I had in my multi's hadn't kicked a goal till the third (I think it was). The only multi I didn't get was an 8 legger which had Geelong 40+ and seven goalkickers, of which Franklin was the only one who didn't register.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:02 pm

I read that the ratings were down this year.

Does anyone else think that it's because people are having parties/get together's again, causing lower ratings? We had 20 people and I'm sure we were not alone, nor a large get together. Surely that has to be taken into account when they look at the stats. Yeh, ok, obviously it wont.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby JK » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:27 am

Expected the Cats to touch the Swannies up and game went perfectly to script, the Geelong 40+ bet looking a walk in the park by 1/4 time. Isaac Smith saluting at $51 capped off a pretty good day. Didn't see a lot of the game as the pub was packed and game was effectively over so soon. Congrats to the Catters, clearly the dominant side of the season. For the Swans, their future looks good with the talent they have, like Port in 07' they probably over achieved and then ran into a juggernaut, don't think it will hold them back longer term. Lot of respect for the Cats older brigade and what they've achieved over the years, great for Sellwood to have quadruple premiership player included among his long list of achievements, absolute champion and deserves to be remembered as such.
Last edited by JK on Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL