Hawthorn

Talk on the national game

Re: Hawthorn

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:58 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
MW wrote:

How so?

What has happened to the Football Club over this?

I might have missed some findings but I haven't heard of any sanctions etc.

Agreed. I think they should be punished as hardly anything has happened to them. :D
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby MW » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:00 am

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
MW wrote:

How so?

What has happened to the Football Club over this?

I might have missed some findings but I haven't heard of any sanctions etc.

Agreed. I think they should be punished as hardly anything has happened to them. :D

:lol:
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2609 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:06 am

whufc wrote:Yeah agree it wont just slip off that's for sure but an out of court settlement might stop alot of the nitty gritty details getting out that we dont already know........for the mean time.
Some talk that the Feds are getting involved. Once you start getting government ministers and the like involved you know it’s going to get very messy. Don’t think Gil has enough rugs or brooms at his disposal
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby whufc » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:27 am

DOC wrote:
whufc wrote:Yeah agree it wont just slip off that's for sure but an out of court settlement might stop alot of the nitty gritty details getting out that we dont already know........for the mean time.

On what grounds do you think it could be taken to court?

I haven't looked into it fully but not sure me as a manager of my centre am i allowed to try and influence staff to have an abortion so they can continue to work with me at their 'best'. I'm not sure I'm also able to direct my employees who they can and cant associate with especially when its because of my own judgement as to what would make them work best. Especially if all this was done in an environment that was intimidating and or jobs were threatened if they didn't follow my requests.

I guess it depends if you look through a employee/employer relationship or a standard footy club environment of mates giving one another advise. Then throw in the fact if it was deemed i was only having those chats with my employees of a certain skin color and that's another can of worms.

I think its already clear the alleged victims feel they have been treated unfairly and have suffered ongoing consequences from their experience.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby am Bays » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:32 am

Take the race issue out of this (although it is important).

We're basically talking about people in positions of power (coaches) making young subservient fringe players allegedly make life decisions (abortions/separating from partners) instead of work place decisions (train harder, eat theses foods, work on skills, come in early to review tape).

This goes against all coaching methodologies that have been taught in coaching courses in the last 20-30 years.

As I mentioned previously this is as bad as the Essendon doping scandal, and Melbourne tanking.

Natural justice need to occur and the process followed but if there is any skerrick of guilt those culpable should face hefty bans.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:32 am

gadj1976 wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:
helicopterking wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:On a quick side note what the hell do the comments “I was waiting for this day to come” do in this scenario from the previous Hawthorn assistant?

It lets what ever bitterness there is out.

No doubt, however that’s a shithouse thing to say now. What ever stopped that person from escalating these concerns at the time on in the last 6-7 years prior to higher authorities?

Their boss was one of the instigators?

That’s a cop out imo. 6-7 years later saying “I was waiting for this day to come” is poor. Can understand if it was at that specific time and they were in a position however they could have escalated their concerns well and truly within the next 6-7 years (Especially if they were no longer involved).
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Dinglinga75 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:05 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Some talk that the Feds are getting involved. Once you start getting government ministers and the like involved you know it’s going to get very messy. Don’t think Gil has enough rugs or brooms at his disposal

Dont think Peter Dutton can help Gil out on this one
Dinglinga75
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Hawthorn

Postby Jim05 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:10 pm

The dog ate my emails

Hawthorn racism review: Andrew Newbold denies sending bombshell emails
A Hawthorn player’s partner shared her distress in an email to then-President Andrew Newbold, but her pleas for help were dismissed. READ THE EMAILS AND NEWBOLD’S REPLY.

September 28, 2022 - 12:05PM

A Hawthorn player’s partner claimed that he had been pressured to leave the home they shared, in a desperate email to then-President Andrew Newbold, but her pleas for help were dismissed, according to the club’s explosive racism Review.

But Newbold – now an AFL commissioner – says he never saw the emails and definitely had not responded to them, though could not rule out someone else in the club having done so on his behalf.

Asked on Tuesday night by the Herald Sun about the alleged exchange, Newbold said: “I did not author that email.

“I want to refute that absolutely. It’s not my language I would use.”

According to the Hawthorn-commissioned review of the club’s handling of Indigenous players and their families between 2010 and 2016, the woman wrote in an email to Newbold that at seven weeks pregnant, senior Hawks trio Alastair Clarkson, Chris Fagan and Jason Burt had come to their home and removed the player with only a few belongings.

They also changed his phone number so his “trapped” partner could not contact him, she claimed in the email.

She approached Victoria Police in the wake of the incident when she could not contact her partner, but officers were unable to contact any Hawthorn staff members, she alleged to Newbold.

SCROLL DOWN TO READ THE EMAILS

The player’s partner went on to tell the then-club president in another email that she was experiencing “severe anxiety attacks”, “vomiting blood” and “can’t see the light anymore”, amid her stress over the situation.

An email identified in the report as being from Newbold responded that it was “not appropriate” that he become involved.

“I have spoken to Jason who is familiar with the facts as I am not,” the report detailed Newbold as writing on Monday, March 25, 2013.

“Your issues are really beyond my scope of expertise and influence. I’m sorry but it is not really appropriate that I become involved.”

Newbold last week took a leave of absence from his position on the AFL commission, as the league launched an independent investigation into the treatment of First Nations players at Hawthorn.

Emails contained in the Cultural Safety Review – commissioned earlier this year – show that woman wrote, in more than 2500 words, to Newbold that club figures had questioned the pair’s engagement, and that “they are going to remove him from the situation”.

“I think the way this has been handled is so disgraceful. How could any person with a heart think that it would be okay to do this to any person, let alone someone who is 7 weeks pregnant,” she wrote to the president.

“I feel like me and this baby have been treated with such disrespect and ruthlessness by the club.

“I would hate to think that as the man in charge of a club who proudly recognizes themselves as a family club that you would find this situation and their behaviour acceptable.”

The emails in the report begin on March 21, 2013 and are labelled in the subject line as being in relation to “welfare” and “Urgent!”.

In one she claimed that despite being with the player since the pair were both 13, the club forced their separation and left him “quite distressed and upset” by questioning their engagement.

Their separation allegedly came just days before their planned engagement party that almost 100 people had been set to attend.

“(The player) stood by the door in a state I’d never seen him in, he looked dead inside,” the player’s partner reportedly wrote to Newbold on March 21, 2013 in detailing their separation.

“It was at that point I became severely concerned for his wellbeing and emotional state.”

She said that her doctor had noted the potential effects on the unborn baby and the fact that she had lost 7kg “because of the distress”.

The emails appear to show that Newbold offered to meet the player’s partner at the club but she did not feel comfortable and stated her wish to meet off-site.

On Friday, March 22, she emailed Newbold again, saying that she had met with an AFLPA psychologist, and that she was “still really keen to catch up”.

She wrote a further email on Monday, March 25, 2013, detailing her declining mental state.

“I have nobody to turn to for answers and I’m not sure what to do,” the player’s partner wrote.

“I feel like I’m in such a helpless situation and can’t see the light anymore.

“I’ve turned in every direction for help but I have no avenues to take. I don’t know what more I can do, I’m falling apart and just feel like I can’t keep going anymore.

“I need to have answers as to what to do and I don’t know where to turn to get those answers anymore.”

SCROLL DOWN TO READ THE EMAILS

In additional comments made to the Herald Sun on Tuesday night, Newbold said: “Those emails as I understand it went to my hawthornfc address, which I had no access to.

“I haven’t seen them, I don’t know who they are from. I haven’t seen the report, which is appropriate.

“I’m told there is an email around 23 May, I have checked personal email box and I have no emails form any complaints on 23 May 2013.’’

Told it was in March, he said: “Whatever, I’ve checked. I did not write that email.

“That is not my style for a start. It’s not how I would’ve responded, I would’ve said go to the welfare person.

“I will tell you how it works, people would email me at hawthornfc and the media girl, for example, would sometimes ring me and say ‘We’ve had a question from such and such, how do you want them to respond?’ I’d tell her, give them my number and get them to call me.

“Or, say, a member rang up and said we’re really unhappy about such and such and that went to the membership department, and they’d say, I think you ought to respond to this.

“I’d say Ok, draft a response and send it through.”

Asked if it was possible someone responded under his name and did not okay it with him, he said: “Don’t know I haven’t seen it. I did not have access to that email address.

“To put it in context, not even the players had my email address. I did not receive one email from a player on the Hawthorn list for the whole time I was president and I certainly did not know (about ) a player’s personal life.

“It paints me in a certain light which is not the case. It’s not how I deal with people. The other thing is, why would I send an email like that from my Iphone?”
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:23 pm

2013 list changes :

Cameron Bruce — Retired
Chance Bateman — Retired
Jarrad Boumann — Delisted
Thomas Schneider — Delisted
Adam Pattison — Delisted
Broc McCauley — Retired

2014 -

Brent Guerra — Retired [9]
Andrew Boseley — Delisted [10]
Amos Frank — Delisted [10]
Max Bailey — Retired [11]
Michael Osborne — Retired

2015 -

Dayle Garlett — Delisted
Brad Sewell — Retired
Jordan Kelly Western Bulldogs Delisted
Derick Wanganeen — Delisted
Ben Ross — Delisted
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mots02 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:30 pm

Booney wrote:2013 list changes :

Cameron Bruce — Retired
Chance Bateman — Retired
Jarrad Boumann — Delisted
Thomas Schneider — Delisted
Adam Pattison — Delisted
Broc McCauley — Retired

2014 -

Brent Guerra — Retired [9]
Andrew Boseley — Delisted [10]
Amos Frank — Delisted [10]
Max Bailey — Retired [11]
Michael Osborne — Retired

2015 -

Dayle Garlett — Delisted
Brad Sewell — Retired
Jordan Kelly Western Bulldogs Delisted
Derick Wanganeen — Delisted
Ben Ross — Delisted

mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 880 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:31 pm

You don't have to work too hard.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mots02 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:32 pm

Booney wrote:You don't have to work too hard.

the field has certainly narrowed
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 880 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:48 pm

What year did Buddy leave?

Chance Bateman is an interesting story.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby whufc » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:52 pm

Can we narrow it down further.......probably a few people the club were trying to keep him away from.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/dayle- ... 073ed6e1a8
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:45 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:What year did Buddy leave?

Think buddy left after 2011
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11850 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:48 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:What year did Buddy leave?

Think buddy left after 2011

His last year at Hawthorn was 2013
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 527 times

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:50 pm

whufc wrote:Can we narrow it down further.......probably a few people the club were trying to keep him away from.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/dayle- ... 073ed6e1a8

https://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/9446 ... us-history

Obviously this list are those that made the A's.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Dinglinga75 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:56 pm

So Clarkson has gone from “it didn’t happen” to “I have different recollections”. Interesting.
Dinglinga75
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:57 pm

The report is now available on the Herald Sun website.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 449 times
Been liked: 1215 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:00 pm

"Since learning of the allegations first reported in the media last Wednesday I have been shocked and deeply distressed," Clarkson wrote.

"It remains profoundly disappointing that these matters are now being widely canvassed in the public domain without the opportunity being given to me or others to give our accounts or even read the Hawthorn report, which to this day I have not seen.

"The further recent publication of purported extracts from the report means I now have grave concerns that any chance of a fair process and just outcome have been seriously undermined, if not irrevocably corrupted.

"The failure to maintain the confidentiality of the review and further damaging public speculation means I have no option but to express publicly, in the strongest and most emphatic terms possible, that I did not behave in the manner claimed.

"I believe the genuine affection I held for all the players who walked through the doors into Hawthorn is well known. I have always appreciated and respected the unique journeys of First Nations players into the highest echelons of Australian rules football.

"I have been committed to acknowledging and understanding their many varied experiences and brought all my efforts to ensuring these players are given the opportunity to realise their dreams. But not at any cost, and never at the cost of their families as has been alleged.

"Any suggestion to the contrary is false and deeply offensive.

"People who know me will understand how important family is to me. I have always carried this value into every organisation I have worked with.

"I acknowledge how difficult it is for any player, and in particular First Nations players to tell their stories about deeply personal matters and I respect every player that has spoken to either the ABC or Phil Egan as part of the Hawthorn Football Club process.

"Every person has their story and the right to tell it. However, as the allegations against me have been spread widely and sometimes presented as indisputable matters of fact, I must state that my clear memory of the matters reported is very different.

"I will continue to cooperate with the AFL and I am trying to retain my trust that it will put in place a fair, respectful and supportive process for all involved. However, I will not hesitate to take further steps to protect my position and reputation should that be necessary.

"I do not intend to make any further comment publicly on the process or on further media reports."
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL