PDCA

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: PDCA

Postby The Bedge » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:11 pm

whufc wrote:Holy crap...… not great for anyone and could get people hurt.

Settle down, it's cricket not footy :lol:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4003 times

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:21 pm

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:Holy crap...… not great for anyone and could get people hurt.

Settle down, it's cricket not footy :lol:

Nah C grade footballers are filthier than a graders :lol: :lol:

Davies and Carmen could do some serious damage.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Bedge » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:22 pm

whufc wrote:Davies and Carmen could do some serious damage.

Damage to egos perhaps - couldn't see either of them going out their way to hurt someone so far beneath them.

Full and straight would do the trick easy enough i'm sure.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:24 pm

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:Davies and Carmen could do some serious damage.

Damage to egos perhaps - couldn't see either of them going out their way to hurt someone so far beneath them.

Full and straight would do the trick easy enough i'm sure.

I agree neither would do anything deliberately.
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:24 pm

Pretty much all of EP's B Grade going to North Pines.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:25 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Pretty much all of EP's B Grade going to North Pines.

Does PDCA need a rule like the SAAFL about how many players from one team can jump to another club.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:30 pm

whufc wrote:

Does PDCA need a rule like the SAAFL about how many players from one team can jump to another club.

Or rule with an iron fist - set the rules, the format, the gradings.. stick with it.. the weak will die, the strong with thrive, the committed will survive. 8)
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:31 pm

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:

Or rule with an iron fist - set the rules, the format, the gradings.. stick with it.. the weak will die, the strong with thrive, the committed will survive. 8)

Your the man to lead PDCA back to the glory years!!!!! Vote 1 Bedgie!!
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:36 pm

No.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:59 pm

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:It's interesting isn't it.....T20 was meant to be somewhat the savior to increase interest/popularity and therefore participation rates and financial funding in cricket..

T20 has killed community cricket.

Yeah people are time poor I get that, but with the increase in shorter formats etc people have lost the tolerance / patience / interest in playing longer formats. In the day if you wanted to play cricket you had two choices - play the format on offer, or dont play at all..

People don't want to train, people don't want to field.. they just want to rock up and a bat and bowl and go home... or in the case of some of our members, play a T20, then go play another one.. then another one :lol:

I think it's more that changing attitudes towards cricket/time/recreation were what created T20 cricket
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby whufc » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:48 am

Tony Clifton wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:It's interesting isn't it.....T20 was meant to be somewhat the savior to increase interest/popularity and therefore participation rates and financial funding in cricket..

Yeah people are time poor I get that, but with the increase in shorter formats etc people have lost the tolerance / patience / interest in playing longer formats. In the day if you wanted to play cricket you had two choices - play the format on offer, or dont play at all..

People don't want to train, people don't want to field.. they just want to rock up and a bat and bowl and go home... or in the case of some of our members, play a T20, then go play another one.. then another one :lol:

I think it's more that changing attitudes towards cricket/time/recreation were what created T20 cricket

I heard an interesting discussion on a podcast as to why T20 was extremely popular amongst younger generations as well beyond being 'time poor' etc.

One of the theories was that for 99% of us cricketers we fail far more often than we ever succeed as individuals. We have a generation now playing who don't often have to fail in life.....everyone gets a prize, everyone gets a second/third chance, you can even google things so you don't fail on a test haha.

T20 provides that oppurtunity to shrug failure off.......in t20 if you get out going for a slog no one really cares...its what you need to do right go for a smash. If your bowling and you get smashed around ......well thats whats expected to happen right....its a batters game. It's almost like playing without consquence.
whufc
Coach

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:42 am

The Bedge wrote:

This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby whufc » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:08 am

Tony Clifton wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

I think its a change of attitude towards cricket in particular. Obviously test matches are extremely long but the need for t20 came because people got bored of 50/50.

Shortened versions of other sport just haven't seemed to take off like t20 in cricket. Look at soccer, i love my soccer but can accept its a bit more of a game of chess than a highlight reel sport yet the 90 minute version is what people want. Tennis / Golf are still played in their longest versions with no shorter version really taking over the market albeit LIV are trying to speed up the current format. Gridiron is still a 4 hour marathon, Area football has tried but the long version of the game is still the most attended. Baseball still 9 innings albeit they are trying to speed up the 9 innings version.

Seven srugby has tried to be the T20 of rugby and its been successful but 13 a side is still the number one version of that sport.

Cricket is one of the few sports where the shortened version has pretty much all but taken over in popularity, attendances, finance generating.
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:28 am

whufc wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

I think its a change of attitude towards cricket in particular. Obviously test matches are extremely long but the need for t20 came because people got bored of 50/50.

Shortened versions of other sport just haven't seemed to take off like t20 in cricket. Look at soccer, i love my soccer but can accept its a bit more of a game of chess than a highlight reel sport yet the 90 minute version is what people want. Tennis / Golf are still played in their longest versions with no shorter version really taking over the market albeit LIV are trying to speed up the current format. Gridiron is still a 4 hour marathon, Area football has tried but the long version of the game is still the most attended. Baseball still 9 innings albeit they are trying to speed up the 9 innings version.

Seven srugby has tried to be the T20 of rugby and its been successful but 13 a side is still the number one version of that sport.

Cricket is one of the few sports where the shortened version has pretty much all but taken over in popularity, attendances, finance generating.

I'm not sure that I agree with you there, I reckon it was to attract a new crowd, a game that provides a result inside 3 hours with some glitz and glamour, it worked, but as I've said before, it's like when a kid finds a good place to hide so keeps hiding in the same spot.

The BBL would sell out every game with a condensed season and better players, ideally they need a 7 team comp and play each other once, if they keep the same salary cap they may interest some real talent as the comp will only go for 3-4 weeks instead of the 53 day tournament that it currently is.

It gets a bit of attraction the first week because it's new and we like to check things out, it gets some attraction the 2nd and 3rd weeks because were on break, there's nothing on TV during the Christmas/New Year period (besides Elf and Home Alone), it then becomes dormant until late January when the finals start, it's a flawed finals format anyway as 62.50% of the teams make it.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:10 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:I'm not sure that I agree with you there, I reckon it was to attract a new crowd.

I literally came here to write the same! From my recollection it was introduced for crowds + financial game.

Cricket has always been a strong Aussie summer sport, and I'd be interested to see if participation numbers were in decline before T20.

Reality is, community cricket is FAR weaker than it was 20yrs ago.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:12 am

The Bedge wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:I'm not sure that I agree with you there, I reckon it was to attract a new crowd.

I literally came here to write the same! From my recollection it was introduced for crowds + financial game.

Cricket has always been a strong Aussie summer sport, and I'd be interested to see if participation numbers were in decline before T20.

Yeah, I just wanked on a bit longer than I should've, got lost in the thread.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:29 am

The Bedge wrote:Round 1
Salisbury West v Eastern Park
Virginia v Craigmore
Dublin v Angle Vale

Any news on Grade's 2 or 3?

Might team up with the lad and play B's.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:38 am

The Bedge wrote:

Yeah your probably right....

I do recall though that 50/50 had dwindling numbers as the executives believed crowds thought the format had got stale and to formulated.....they then started playing around with power plays, fielding restrictions, new balls at each end end etc.

Agree when i was playing junior PDCA 25 years ago Eastern Park pretty much had two sides in each grade of juniors and most junior grades had either a north/south or div 1/div 2.

I then recall my first year of seniors we were in div 5 b grade for eastern park which was pretty much against all A Grade sides. We lost in the GF to a Elizabeth Fields side with Scotty Donaldson, Al Hewitt, Dobbo, Mick Debuar, Steve Fulton, Donga.
Last edited by whufc on Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:39 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Any news on Grade's 2 or 3?.

Nothing. Given Pete is a one man band on PlayHQ guessing it'll be over the weekend.

Makes you wonder what value Jonesy brings now MyCricket is defunct.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:41 am

whufc wrote:Yeah your probably right....

I do recall though that 50/50 had dwindling numbers as the executives believed crowds thought the format had got stale and to formulated.....they then started playing around with power plays, fielding restrictions, new balls at each end etc.

Those rules were all brought in AFTER the introduction of T20.

T20 sapped the life out of ODI cricket, they needed to revamp to try and generate more interest again.
The Bedge
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps