Things that give you the sh1ts

Anything!

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

Postby Brodlach » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:06 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:penalty rates are for unsociable hours, like weekends and nights etc

My opinion is they used to be unsociable hours.
How many contact hours does an undergraduate have these days?
How many uni students actually go to uni all day like we used to? Most of it was spent in the uni bar

They were unsociable hours when shops closed at 12pm on a Saturday and reopened Monday morning. As soon as we went 7 days then that should have disappeared
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby RB » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:27 pm

Brodlach wrote:They were unsociable hours when shops closed at 12pm on a Saturday and reopened Monday morning. As soon as we went 7 days then that should have disappeared

This doesn't make much sense to me. As soon as Sunday trading came in, they suddenly ceased being unsociable? Nothing changed.

The additional rate was the compromise for increased weekend trading, and the erosion of the great Australian weekend.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 766 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:43 pm

RB wrote:
Brodlach wrote:They were unsociable hours when shops closed at 12pm on a Saturday and reopened Monday morning. As soon as we went 7 days then that should have disappeared

This doesn't make much sense to me. As soon as Sunday trading came in, they suddenly ceased being unsociable? Nothing changed.

The additional rate was the compromise for increased weekend trading, and the erosion of the great Australian weekend.

My son is a chef
His "weekend" is on a Monday (& Tuesday if he's lucky)
He doesn't get "weekend" loading
The restaurant down the road doesn't open on Sunday nights or public holidays.
The family do the breakfast / lunch shift on Sundays
They simply cant afford $300ph even if the place was full
Everyone loses except the SDA officials
Its archaic and BS.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Brodlach » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:43 pm

RB wrote:

Nothing changed? If things didn’t change most weekend people wouldn’t have any hours to work so they wouldn’t earn any money.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby DOC » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:22 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
RB wrote:

My son is a chef
Its archaic and BS.

Your son as a chef is entitled to penalty rates unless he has given them away as part of his salary package. If he is not on a salary, he is not being paid correctly.

The SDA have nothing to do with restaurant/cafe workers,
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 731 times
Been liked: 2086 times

Postby Vamos » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:43 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:IGA is open during PHs so some smaller supermarkets are still open
It was very busy yesterday when I went there

It’s where I went to get my meat.
Overpriced and crap meat.

Scrap the penalty rates and just open up like every other state in Australia.

Hey Amber, my kids just said "Get ******" :lol:
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 476 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Vamos » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:08 pm

Brodlach wrote:An industry I know very well (not me or my family) , worker is paid $30.31 for her hours Monday to Friday and has the extra responsibility that comes with being a full time worker during the week; 22 year old Uni student (can only work weekends due to Uni) who just does the bare minimum is on $62.58 per hour with zero responsibility.

The system is wrong, paid more because that’s the only hours they can work.

That some strange loading, double and a bit. You pull that thread on the retail industry and soon you'll have nurses losing benefits.

BTW, the shit my girls copped from scum of the earth in their retail jobs during covid, they deserve every penny they get.
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 476 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:40 pm

DOC wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:
RB wrote:

My son is a chef
Its archaic and BS.

Your son as a chef is entitled to penalty rates unless he has given them away as part of his salary package. If he is not on a salary, he is not being paid correctly.

The SDA have nothing to do with restaurant/cafe workers,

My point is many people don’t have a traditional weekend anymore. The 5+2 is long gone for many.
Why should a uni student get penalty rates when only working Saturday & Sunday?
I’m all for penalty rates when someone works longer than full time
Casuals shouldn’t get penalty rates

No the SDA don’t but they control the Labor State Govt who have everything to do with it
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby whufc » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:27 am

Don't know why but i always presumed Sunday was considered unsociable and paid at penalty rates due to Sunday being the day for the church.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby tipper » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:26 am

amber_fluid wrote:how will it create new jobs?
Some one needs to work the weekend hours that you don’t.

where are the shop owners getting the extra income to pay these extra workers? just because they are open longer, doesnt mean they are getting more sales.

not like im sitting here on tens of thousands of dollars just waiting for shops to be open on a sunday morning so i can go spend it
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Booney » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:30 am

All this because amber forgot to gets the chops his Mrs told him to get on Sunday. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:33 am

Booney wrote:All this because amber forgot to gets the chops his Mrs told him to get on Sunday. :lol:

It will happen again, I can guarantee it!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2227 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby whufc » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:42 am

I dont neccasrily buy there isnt more money to spend as such.......

Technically there isn't but i know in our household you get a nice Sunday and our planned pasta dinner doesn't cut the mustard so we end up going to the shops and buying nice meat, a few beers or wine, maybe even a dessert.

We are often at Woolies on a Sunday between 5pm - 7pm buying unplanned purchases due to our mood.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:52 am

tipper wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:how will it create new jobs?
Some one needs to work the weekend hours that you don’t.

where are the shop owners getting the extra income to pay these extra workers? just because they are open longer, doesnt mean they are getting more sales.

not like im sitting here on tens of thousands of dollars just waiting for shops to be open on a sunday morning so i can go spend it

As you said you’re not a shopper(I’m not really either) but people who are will find money to spend on those public holidays.
Fast food places, chemists and places that are open do tend to make money on those days as some people can’t wait til the day after and buy their normal stuff(this doesn’t create extra income) but also tend to purchase other stuff whilst there.

I say scrap penalty rates like the other states(I think some states still do 1.5 x normal) and allow them to open up.

The other states manage this well from what I know.
Having said that our government will never change the laws anyway.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby cracka » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:57 am

Absolutely you should be paid extra for working weekends. If you're working anything from Friday nights to Sunday nights then you're missing out on a lot of things. Friday night knock offs, local sports, going out Saturday nights, seeing live music/shows, Sunday get togethers etc
The main reason though, especially for those in retail or hospitality is you have to deal with the arrogant entitled pr**** that take these things for granted, have probably never worked outside of office hours & who think you don't deserve loading because their eggs benedict might cost a bit more at the Cafe on a weekend.
PS I currently don't work weekends or public holidays but am more than happy to pay extra for my eggs benedict with smashed avo at the cafes for Sunday brunch.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:11 am

cracka wrote:Absolutely you should be paid extra for working weekends. If you're working anything from Friday nights to Sunday nights then you're missing out on a lot of things. Friday night knock offs, local sports, going out Saturday nights, seeing live music/shows, Sunday get togethers etc
The main reason though, especially for those in retail or hospitality is you have to deal with the arrogant entitled pr**** that take these things for granted, have probably never worked outside of office hours & who think you don't deserve loading because their eggs benedict might cost a bit more at the Cafe on a weekend.
PS I currently don't work weekends or public holidays but am more than happy to pay extra for my eggs benedict with smashed avo at the cafes for Sunday brunch.

It's the one meal that I can't justify forking out for, the missus quite often suggests going out for breakfast but I can't bring myself to do it, it's always over-priced and I can do better at home, I'd sooner save the $60 and do a lunch.

On the same token, I cook up a huge breakfast every Sunday consisting of bacon, kransky, hash browns, cappo, cherry tomato, onion and eggs of some description.

I'm quite prone for an omelet or piling it all on to some French Toast.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:20 am

cracka wrote:Absolutely you should be paid extra for working weekends. If you're working anything from Friday nights to Sunday nights then you're missing out on a lot of things. Friday night knock offs, local sports, going out Saturday nights, seeing live music/shows, Sunday get togethers etc

People go out for breakfast Monday to Friday as well.
Those staff don’t get penalties and still have to deal with arrogant customers.

I think people who work Monday to Friday and are rostered on every Saturday or Sunday or public holidays should get penalties still it’s the teenagers or other people who choose to just work weekends coz of the higher rates that should be abolished
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:26 am

So to summarize :

Those of you who don't work weekends think people who do work weekends shouldn't get paid extra just because they work on the days that you don't want to.

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:32 am

Booney wrote:So to summarize :

Those of you who don't work weekends think people who do work weekends shouldn't get paid extra just because they work on the days that you don't want to.

:lol:

Bingo!
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby cracka » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:35 am

amber_fluid wrote:

People go out for breakfast Monday to Friday as well.
Those staff don’t get penalties and still have to deal with arrogant customers].

I think people who work Monday to Friday and are rostered on every Saturday or Sunday or public holidays should get penalties still it’s the teenagers or other people who choose to just work weekends coz of the higher rates that should be abolished

Then they probably wouldn't work those hours & the shops won't be able to get staff so they wont be able to open anyway.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion