Essendon

Talk on the national game

Re: Essendon

Postby mots02 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:44 pm

The AFL would be loving the additional media attention though.... this and the Hawks saga will keep them on the back page right through until Christmas.
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 877 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Sharksta » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:45 pm

Ronnie wrote:Where are we going with this, are all AFL Presidents/Board members/CEO's now meant to come out and explicitly state they support abortion? and is that abortion on demand, abortion only when health is in danger, abortion only in the first trimester??? Strange times, slightly disturbing times.
It’s one thing to have one’s own beliefs which across the spectrum of the AFL would be many and varied. It’s another to be chairman of the board of an organisation which puts him in a position of power to influence many and actively promote the divisive views of the church. This presents a massive of conflict of interest in a sport actively seeking to provide an inclusive environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sharksta
Rookie

Has liked: 478 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:16 pm

mots02 wrote:The AFL would be loving the additional media attention though.... this and the Hawks saga will keep them on the back page right through until Christmas.

Yep Ive never known such a topical off season period for the AFL, they will be loving it secretly
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby Ronnie » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:50 pm

Sharksta wrote:
Ronnie wrote:Where are we going with this, are all AFL Presidents/Board members/CEO's now meant to come out and explicitly state they support abortion? and is that abortion on demand, abortion only when health is in danger, abortion only in the first trimester??? Strange times, slightly disturbing times.
It’s one thing to have one’s own beliefs which across the spectrum of the AFL would be many and varied. It’s another to be chairman of the board of an organisation which puts him in a position of power to influence many and actively promote the divisive views of the church. This presents a massive of conflict of interest in a sport actively seeking to provide an inclusive environment.

Eh? so you reckon he would be at Essendon to, as you say, actively influence and promote views around abortion and sexual behavior? Views he has never disclosed publicly and should have no need to. The whole thing is ludicrous if it wasn't so serious.
How do you reckon he would have fared if he came from a muslim background, a Jewish background, a Buddhist background?? Do you think the lynch mob might have taken a very different view?. No prizes for that answer, the mob wouldn't even assemble in the first place.
Absolutely nothing in his background to suggest as an individual he goes around pushing his own personal views in these matters anyway. It's outright ugly intolerance. NAB got involved in what you might call identity politics during his tenure there when he was the CEO. I'd be more concerned, if I was hiring him, around what his conduct as head of NAB was, as exposed by the Banking Royal Commission.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:56 pm

You can take my soul to hell but you put my mortgage up by 1% and look out!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Sharksta » Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:06 pm

Ronnie wrote:
Sharksta wrote:

Eh? so you reckon he would be at Essendon to, as you say, actively influence and promote views around abortion and sexual behavior? Views he has never disclosed publicly and should have no need to. The whole thing is ludicrous if it wasn't so serious.
How do you reckon he would have fared if he came from a muslim background, a Jewish background, a Buddhist background?? Do you think the lynch mob might have taken a very different view?. No prizes for that answer, the mob wouldn't even assemble in the first place.
Absolutely nothing in his background to suggest as an individual he goes around pushing his own personal views in these matters anyway. It's outright ugly intolerance. NAB got involved in what you might call identity politics during his tenure there when he was the CEO. I'd be more concerned, if I was hiring him, around what his conduct as head of NAB was, as exposed by the Banking Royal Commission.
I was more so meaning influence people from within his church. Instigate policies etc around the beliefs of his church. As the CEO of a football club you can’t be over in place A (church) saying one thing as a leader in that organisation and then in place B (the AFL) say something completely different .

The league can’t be saying one thing and have it appear lip service that people don’t believe. Look no further than the current racism situation for how that plays out.

Sharksta
Rookie

Has liked: 478 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby cracka » Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:18 pm

Triple M Melbourne reporting a board coup coming in the next couple of weeks
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 461 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Jim05 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:46 pm

cracka wrote:Triple M Melbourne reporting a board coup coming in the next couple of weeks
Definitely has to, still some more blood letting required
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:50 am

Jim05 wrote:
cracka wrote:Triple M Melbourne reporting a board coup coming in the next couple of weeks

Excerpts from email to Members yesterday afternoon :

"The Board now has the final draft report from the EY External Review that we commissioned"

"The report is now being prepared in its final state for a presentation to the Board. This is a major piece of work and the recommendations included in the report will set the course for our future. A summary of the report will be presented to our members in the coming weeks"
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 447 times
Been liked: 1210 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Jim05 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:48 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Excerpts from email to Members yesterday afternoon :

"The Board now has the final draft report from the EY External Review that we commissioned"

"The report is now being prepared in its final state for a presentation to the Board. This is a major piece of work and the recommendations included in the report will set the course for our future. A summary of the report will be presented to our members in the coming weeks"
That is business speak for “we will take out the bits that we don’t want the plebs to see and present to them a bunch of recommendations that they will have no input into and will be cherry picked internally”
I don’t have much faith in it sorry but as long as Dodoro goes I can be happy
Jim05
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:50 pm

Ham, Waterman and Brand delisted.
PatowalongaPirate

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:19 pm

Davey twins have both officially nominated Essendon under Father-Son rule.
PatowalongaPirate

Postby Jim05 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:47 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:Davey twins have both officially nominated Essendon under Father-Son rule.
Ideally we add Munkara to those two and I would be choosing Phillipou with our first pick. With Walla looking likely to return it wouldn’t be a bad offseason
Jim05
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:18 pm

Jim05 wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:Davey twins have both officially nominated Essendon under Father-Son rule.
Ideally we add Munkara to those two and I would be choosing Phillipou with our first pick. With Walla looking likely to return it wouldn’t be a bad offseason

Bar the coach, board and CEO* :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:34 pm

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Bar the coach, board and CEO* :lol:
Cleaning out the board was a very good move. Still a couple more to go yet.
It’s the first good signs I’ve seen at board level for a long time.
Jury is still out on the coach
Jim05
Coach

Postby Armchair expert » Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:15 pm

The CEO for a few hours Andrew Thorburn is "retaining legal counsel for wrongful termination by the Essendon Football Club."

Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 1435 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:08 am

I thought he resigned?
PatowalongaPirate

Postby amber_fluid » Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:43 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:I thought he resigned?

Resigned, pushed, knifed in the back!
Same same!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Postby Jim05 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:27 pm

Will be a negotiated pay out IMO as neither parties will want this to end up in court.
Disappointing that E&Y were paid a significant amount to run the process and vetted him in the first place. Massive fail on their behalf and they really should be on the hook for some of the money
Jim05
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:30 pm

Walla is back.
PatowalongaPirate