2022 AFL offseason - trades - draft

Talk on the national game

Re: 2022 AFL offseason - trades - draft

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:47 am

Glad that's over. How manic is this period going to be in 5 years time?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby whufc » Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:53 am

Booney wrote:Glad that's over. How manic is this period going to be in 5 years time?

I wonder if it will just keep getting longer and longer, albeit clubs will always wait until the last minute to play 'chicken' with other clubs.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Bedge » Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:57 am

whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:Glad that's over. How manic is this period going to be in 5 years time?

I wonder if it will just keep getting longer and longer, albeit clubs will always wait until the last minute to play 'chicken' with other clubs.

I agree with Jim i reckon it’s scripted - the bigger trades are sorted then left to sit there until the very last minute for the “shock” value.

Trade “week” is a waste of time, most these clubs already know what they want/need and have to give up before it even starts.

Maybe they should just allow trades the entire off season.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3999 times

Postby whufc » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:01 am

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:

I agree with Jim i reckon it’s scripted - the bigger trades are sorted then left to sit there until the very last minute for the “shock” value.

Trade “week” is a waste of time, most these clubs already know what they want/need and have to give up before it even starts.

Maybe they should just allow trades the entire off season.

Yeah you are probably right and definitely wouldn't put it past the AFL.

Would be interesting if there were some mid-week type trades that now make a lot more sense had a club known of a bigger earlier trade that was held from the public.

I guess if you had it all off season it would keep footy in the news with all the speculation etc making headlines every day.
whufc
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:21 am

In 5 years time we will be able to accurately judge who did well out of this trade period, impossible to gauge the success now.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby MW » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:22 am

Dutchy wrote:

In 5 years time we will be able to accurately judge who did well out of this trade period, impossible to gauge the success now.

In 5 years time hopefully they will have the ability to trade players against their will.

Can't have a half pregnant FA system...needs to be all or nothing. Let the clubs take the risk in trading for a player that might not want to stay.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2602 times
Been liked: 1846 times

Postby cracka » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:32 am

Crows offered 3 first round picks to North last year for the number 1 pick which they would have used for JHF. They've used them to get Rachelle, Dawson & Rankine.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 461 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:36 am

cracka wrote:Crows offered 3 first round picks to North last year for the number 1 pick which they would have used for JHF. They've used them to get Rachelle, Dawson & Rankine.

Thing is, Rankine and Dawson asked to be traded to Adelaide so while it's romantic to think North could have got all of them they simply wouldn't have. Rachele at 6 last year may have been the only one...may have.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:40 am

Booney wrote:
cracka wrote:Crows offered 3 first round picks to North last year for the number 1 pick which they would have used for JHF. They've used them to get Rachelle, Dawson & Rankine.

Thing is, Rankine and Dawson asked to be traded to Adelaide so while it's romantic to think North could have got all of them they simply wouldn't have. Rachele at 6 last year may have been the only one...may have.

Think it's less about North and more about Adel - they were willing to use the 3x 1sts.. it didn't happen, and they're now out in a better position 12 months later?
The Bedge
Coach

Postby cracka » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:42 am

The Bedge wrote:
Booney wrote:

Think it's less about North and more about Adel - they were willing to use the 3x 1sts.. it didn't happen, and they're now out in a better position 12 months later?

Correct. That was the point Booney missed
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 461 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:44 am

The Bedge wrote:
Booney wrote:

Absolutely they're in a better position, but it's not like for like.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:47 am

Sliding doors.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby stan » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:50 am

The Bedge wrote:
Booney wrote:

I reckon they are, If they just had JHF it would be all well and good, but Rochelle, Dawson and now Rankine is massive.

I feel crows have done well without that trade going through.

For North Hindsight is fantastic and all but it is what it is and they have a few more first rounders now to work with. With picks 2 and 3 they can load up with top end midfield talent. I reckon they have some reasonable KPP still in Larkey and McKay that they can build around that.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby stan » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:53 am

So the Bulldogs releases 2 X midfielders in Dunkley and Hunter and then brought in Lobb.

They have JUH, Naughton, Bruce and also Darcy up forward.

Was there a need for Lobb?
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby whufc » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:58 am

stan wrote:So the Bulldogs releases 2 X midfielders in Dunkley and Hunter and then brought in Lobb.

Weightman will feature in the forward 6 as well, there loaded at that end of the ground.
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:59 am

stan wrote:So the Bulldogs releases 2 X midfielders in Dunkley and Hunter and then brought in Lobb.

Darcy will play in defence. Martin is cooked so English and Lobb will pair up in the ruck, English ruck and Lobb forward. Martin back up.

Lobb, Bruce and Naughton forward, JUH roaming around where ever.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:23 am

The more I think about it I think Collingwood have added potentially the biggest impact player for 2023.

Picked up Mitchell who could be the absolute key to them taking the next step. Ball winner who can give it to their quicker outside midfielders.

Dunkley will be good at brissy but without looking at it closely they seem to have a lot of those midfield/forward types.

JHF could be the best of the players picked up but not sure that's in 2023.

Jury still out on Rankine for mine and the Crows already have a decent forward line. He will be a nice touch but not sure he changes their fortunes until they get some grunt in the midfield. As others have mentioned what Port & Crows got was what each other needed.
whufc
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:30 am

Not sure about Adel getting those players as a direct result but I said at the time that North were stupid relying on one player to turn their fortunes around. Get three picks and add depth instantly! Now they're paying the price.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:37 am

whufc wrote:The more I think about it I think Collingwood have added potentially the biggest impact player for 2023.

Picked up Mitchell who could be the absolute key to them taking the next step. Ball winner who can give it to their quicker outside midfielders.

Dunkley will be good at brissy but without looking at it closely they seem to have a lot of those midfield/forward types.

Jury still out on Rankine for mine and the Crows already have a decent forward line. He will be a nice touch but not sure he changes their fortunes until they get some grunt in the midfield. As others have mentioned what Port & Crows got was what each other needed.

Get off Boon's horne!!!

Dunkley is clearly the best pick up by the length of Main North Road.

Mitchell will be serviceable @ the Pies but won't finish in the top 5 of the Copeland Trophy.

Rankine will show glimpses of brilliance, he'll have his own pocket at AO within a couple of years, if the Crows can have a successful rebuild he will be an outright champion of the game.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby whufc » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:46 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:The more I think about it I think Collingwood have added potentially the biggest impact player for 2023.

Get off Boon's horne!!!

Dunkley is clearly the best pick up by the length of Main North Road.

Mitchell will be serviceable @ the Pies but won't finish in the top 5 of the Copeland Trophy.

Rankine will show glimpses of brilliance, he'll have his own pocket at AO within a couple of years, if the Crows can have a successful rebuild he will be an outright champion of the game.

I agree Dunkley is if we are talking about right this minute......but if JHF lives up the expectations he could be anything, like i said though that probably won't be until 2025.

Mitchell will make the players around him so much better imo.
whufc
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL