Port Adelaide 2022

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2022

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:24 pm

Trader wrote:Well, what a comprehensive smashing we copped on Friday night.
The first Showdown for Women, there was a big build up, and while everyone knew the crows would win (port were double figures with the bookies), what perhaps was a surprise was the fact that Port couldn't manage a single major for the night.

DeMelo was running into open goal in the first quarter, but fumbled the pick up, found herself with the ball in the pocket and then missed her boot with the ball. It was a sign of things to come.

Chelsea smashed us all over the ground. She started in the middle, won the clearances, then pushed forward with superior work rate and found herself kicking goal after goal.
I don't expect our 17 year old's who are 14 weeks into their AFLW careers to beat the likes of Randel who have been in the system for 7 seasons now. But I did expect a better effort.
Time and time again port had numbers behind the ball, yet crows players were able to lead out and take uncontested marks inside their forward 50.
Getting beaten by a better side is fine, not trying isn't.

Well, to try and find some positives from a 10 goal beating.
Mules played her best game in port colours.
Boag on debut showed enough.

Beyond that, well um, not sure. Perhaps Borg continuing on after taking one to the face from Waterhouse who will now spend a week on the sidelines.

It's clear we are lacking talls. Our backline is undersized but tries hard.
In the middle Levecki is still brand new to footy.
Dropping Teakle was the correct decision, she just hasn't made an impact, but it does leave us small.

Houghton running laps last week, hopefully she'll be back in a fortnight, that will straighten us up up forward.
McGrath's injury is also hurting our structure. Get her back in and we'll look a lot better.

Oh, and while she's certainly no tall, hopefully they bring Sachi back in, no idea why she got dropped. Very stiff if you ask me.

Hawks this week. Two weeks ago we would have been short priced favourites, however Goddard has the hawks playing ok footy all of a sudden. They've won their last two and we haven't. A flight to Melbourne then a bus ride down to Frankston. The girls need to bounce back this week.

The Crowettes gave you a good licking! :P
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Trader » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:37 pm

AFLW Round 7.

Ask any Melbournian for directions to Frankston and you'll likely get a reply along the lines of "why do you want to go there".
Everyone knows nothing good comes out of a trip to Franny and the Power Girls confirmed this on Saturday night.

Losing McGrath to an ankle at Tuesday's training session meant we remained a tall or three short. DeMelo also withdrew again.
We knew going into this one we would lack structure and direction.

What we didn't expect would be that we would then play without an alternative plan.

We won the first centre clearance on the back of some improving tap-work from Levicki and managed to trap the ball inside 50.
Behind, Behind, Behind, Behind, and finally a goal.
After that however, the ball went back to the middle and we couldn't get it into our front half for the rest of the game.

If we don't win the centre clearance, we simply don't have a method to transition the footy from the back half into an attacking position.

It was a hard game to watch.
The enthusiasm of a new toy, together with a little bit of intrigue lead to mild interest early in the season.
That initial excitement is long gone and now we are left with a fairly raw product that isn't producing.

Yorston and Moloney aren't getting it done around the contest, and together with Dowrick are leaving us very slow through the midfield.
Foley, Duursma (not selected) and Boag provide a little bit of pace on the outside, but we can't seem to get the ball in their hands at the moment.

No pace on the footy and no talls to take grabs, its no wonder we went goalless after the 10 minute mark of the first term.

Selection seems to have turned into a rotation policy where everyone who has paid the subs is guaranteed a game or two. roughly three changes a week and a new debutant week after week. Do we know what our best side is? Or are we just spending time trying to work out who can actually play and who needs to get cut over the offseason?

I get it's difficult to play positive footy when you don't have the cattle available, but equally, I start to question what development is occurring during the week. The game plan is hard to spot, and the development of individuals is missing in several cases. Some players are going forward, but others aren't, and some are even going backwards, and fast. Former Gold Coast Suns captain, Hannah Dunn was identified as a key signing for Port. The idea being to put some experience behind the footy, and hopefully have the foot skills to link up and transition the ball forward. Her lack of natural defending was obvious in the early games with Port, however it was expected this would come. So far it hasn't. Furthermore her offensive game seems to have dropped off over the last month or so. Her skills have gone backwards, the decision making has become indecisive and even her attack on the contest would now be described as timid. I don't mean to have a crack at her as an individual (I'm sure she's a great girl), but her story is a clear example that something isn't working.

Three weeks to go, the end of the season can't come quick enough for a young group that is fast running out of steam.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Booney » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:40 pm

Saw 3 match reports, none of them mentioned Ballard in Ports best.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7488 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Trader » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:56 pm

Booney wrote:Saw 3 match reports, none of them mentioned Ballard in Ports best.

She'd have to be fairly close to winning the BnF. Has a crack every week.
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby Spargo » Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:52 pm

Hinkley, Rioli & JHF - no pressure whatsoever - none.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5475 times
Been liked: 5116 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:56 pm

Spargo wrote:Hinkley, Rioli & JHF - no pressure whatsoever - none.

Pressure v no expectations.

If you're telling me you're not taking pressure you're lying.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Spargo » Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:59 pm

Booney wrote:

Pressure v no expectations.

If you're telling me you're not taking pressure you're lying.

Who said that? Pressure builds diamonds… sometimes.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5475 times
Been liked: 5116 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Dutchy » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:52 pm

A Kenny mid year extension has just firmed from $10 into $1.50
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:50 pm

Ports flag to lose
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Postby bertiebeatle » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:47 pm

I read before that from the draft picks given by Port in the trade equate to Pick 1 & 37 (Based on finishing positions of this season). Take that deal every day of the week. Made even better that no players were needed to be included in the deal considering the ridiculous commentary from media figures and supporters of clubs over the last fortnight.
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:10 am

woodublieve12 wrote:Ports flag to lose

:lol: :lol:

Blokes on the Port fan page on FB actually think this.

We've added a 17 and 51 gamer to our list but lost Gray, Motlop and Amon. Lycett, Dicko and Boak are all a year older......................and we're apparently stronger?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Booney » Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:21 pm

JHF :

It’s unreal. Coming to a club that’s been quite successful through the years and the culture of it, I’m really excited to get stuck in

I’m a big family person. I love my family and feel like having my family and friends around me will create that environment where I can play my best footy. That’s where I want to get to - being the best player I can be

I’m really grateful for North Melbourne for giving me the opportunity that they gave me. I’m really thankful for them. I’m keen now to be back in SA

I just want to be the best I can be and I think this environment (at Port Adelaide) will help me. I want to make myself and my family proud

(on playing in the Showdown): As a South Australian kid you always watch the Showdowns and dream to play in them. I’m really excited
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby shoe boy » Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:54 pm

3 years ago Hinkley said in the next 5 years we will win 3 flags :-W
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:58 pm

shoe boy wrote:

We're only 3 short so far.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Booney » Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:27 pm

shoe boy wrote:

Not quite.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Trader » Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:38 pm

A good start lead from the middle, winning the clearances in the first half, and with Gemma back up forward we looked dangerous.

Mules was energetic in the first term and together with the other experienced heads in Foley and Phillips getting their hands on the pill, we looked a different side to what we’ve been in the last month.

When Lily Johnson (the 29th player we’ve used this season, from the squad of 30) bagged her first goal just before the half time siren things were locked up at 4 goals a piece for the long break.

In the third term the roos took control of the territory however our defence held up relatively well. We dropped off a little bit late in the quarter and gave up a few uncontested marks inside 50. Thankfully the Roos didn’t really convert and the deficit at the final break was under 2 goals.

Needing to take every opportunity to get back in the game, we were presented with the first chance in the last term however when Mules hit the post from 2m out we couldn’t do just that. North took the ball down the other end and goaled to ice the game before closing it out to win by 25points. Just the three behinds for port in the second half, the Roos controlled the game fairly well after the early power surge. Notable games from Ewings, O’Dea, Tahau, Foley and Borg.

A better performance after managing just one goal in the last two games was a step in the right direction and gives the girls something to build on for the final two games of the season.
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:01 pm

HE may have retired from playing eight weeks ago but Robbie Gray will not be lost to Port Adelaide with the club pleased to announce he will stay at Alberton to take on a role in recruiting and list management.

During the final years of his 16-season playing career Gray expressed an interest in recruiting and list management, keeping an eye on the best young talent and spending time with National Recruiting Manager Geoff Parker and List Manager Jason Cripps.

The thee-time club best and fairest and four-time All-Australian’s new role will involve tracking the best in South Australian talent, as well as young players across the nation.

“Our List Management and Recruiting team, led by Jason Cripps, are an experienced and talented group and we look forward to Rob’s continuing contribution to the team,” said General Manager – Football, Chris Davies about Gray’s appointment.

“Rob has an eye for talent, sees the game better than most and knows what it takes to succeed at the highest level. I have no doubt he’ll be great at this too.”

Gray retired at the end of the 2022 season after 271 games and 367 goals.

He said it felt like a natural transition into recruiting.

“I’ve always been interested in recruiting and list management so I’m really grateful to get the opportunity to move into that space,” Gray said.

“I’m excited about having the chance to work with Jason, Geoff and the team to help add to the exciting talent we already have at the club.”

Gray has already started in the role, taking in the 2022 NAB AFL Draft Combine in Melbourne earlier this month.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:09 pm

Interesting comment that he focuses on SA talent, is this because Cripps is in Melb? or a deliberate focus on SA lads going forward
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby mots02 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:10 pm

Booney wrote:HE may have retired from playing eight weeks ago but Robbie Gray will not be lost to Port Adelaide with the club pleased to announce he will stay at Alberton to take on a role in recruiting and list management.

During the final years of his 16-season playing career Gray expressed an interest in recruiting and list management, keeping an eye on the best young talent and spending time with National Recruiting Manager Geoff Parker and List Manager Jason Cripps.

The thee-time club best and fairest and four-time All-Australian’s new role will involve tracking the best in South Australian talent, as well as young players across the nation.

“Our List Management and Recruiting team, led by Jason Cripps, are an experienced and talented group and we look forward to Rob’s continuing contribution to the team,” said General Manager – Football, Chris Davies about Gray’s appointment.

“Rob has an eye for talent, sees the game better than most and knows what it takes to succeed at the highest level. I have no doubt he’ll be great at this too.”

Gray retired at the end of the 2022 season after 271 games and 367 goals.

He said it felt like a natural transition into recruiting.

“I’ve always been interested in recruiting and list management so I’m really grateful to get the opportunity to move into that space,” Gray said.

“I’m excited about having the chance to work with Jason, Geoff and the team to help add to the exciting talent we already have at the club.”

Gray has already started in the role, taking in the 2022 NAB AFL Draft Combine in Melbourne earlier this month.

Jobs for the boys ;)
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 877 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Booney » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:20 pm

Dutchy wrote:Interesting comment that he focuses on SA talent, is this because Cripps is in Melb? or a deliberate focus on SA lads going forward

I'm guessing he's going to remain SA based and the talent ID around the country stays with the same people. I don't read into it being a focus on SA lads, can see how it could be seen that way but given he's been to the combine in Melbourne it just appears as though he's negotiated with a young family not too much travel.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL