CDFC 2024

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: CDFC 2022

Postby northerner » Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:31 am

gazzamagoo wrote:Llewellyn & Pisani have left The 'Dogs & gone to Modbury.

Couple of quality lads.
Darcy didnt play all season, and is having to deal with issues from multiple concussions; this will be hard for him when he returns as he is an in and under type.
Ryan, like many, can no longer maintain the work/effort/commitment required to play at SANFL level. This is an issue that all Clubs and the SANFL would be aware of; we are leaking quality players every season. IMO he should have been full back in the Team of the Year last season, never beaten.
Ryan played at Modbury as a junior, I am not sure if Darcy did as well?
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 436 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby whufc » Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:44 am

northerner wrote:

Couple of quality lads.
Darcy didnt play all season, and is having to deal with issues from multiple concussions; this will be hard for him when he returns as he is an in and under type.
Ryan, like many, can no longer maintain the work/effort/commitment required to play at SANFL level. This is an issue that all Clubs and the SANFL would be aware of; we are leaking quality players every season. IMO he should have been full back in the Team of the Year last season, never beaten.

All clubs leak players but surely not many other league teams have lost 7 blokes who played league last year (and still counting....i genuinely don't know the answer. Glenelg seemed to have lost a few.

Schiller
Pisani
Lleywellen
Thompson
Neagle x 2
Fort
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:10 pm

whufc wrote:
northerner wrote:

Couple of quality lads.

All clubs leak players but surely not many other league teams have lost 7 blokes who played league last year (and still counting....i genuinely don't know the answer. Glenelg seemed to have lost a few.

Schiller
Pisani
Lleywellen
Thompson
Neagle x 2
Fort

All legit reasons for leaving though, they haven't left because they hate the coach etc etc
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1660 times
Been liked: 649 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby beef » Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:12 pm

northerner wrote:

Couple of quality lads.

Llewellyn or Cameron Craig - surely you are taking the piss
Llewellyn is a battler who credit to him, gets the best out of his ability but not even close to team of the year.
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 255 times

Postby northerner » Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:15 pm

beef wrote:
northerner wrote:

Couple of quality lads.

Llewellyn or Cameron Craig - surely you are taking the piss
Llewellyn is a battler who credit to him, gets the best out of his ability but not even close to team of the year.

Opinions beef... I disagree with a lot of yours but I let it go, I dont attempt to be so dismissive.
Admittedly I see Ryan every week and not Craig. But he was never ever beaten at any stage.
northerner
Reserves

Postby whufc » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:21 pm

Was speaking to a player who toured the club in recent weeks and was interested to hear his take on the clubrooms/facilities/ground at Centrals, he hadn't been to Elizabeth Oval in over ten years.

Mentioned it felt like it hadn't aged a day since then.....he said the ground/grandstand/fencing etc felt like a glorified country ground and was miles behind places like Norwood, Glenelg, Prospect. Mentioned the changerooms were pretty much the same as what he had seen ten years ago...gym and pool area looking very tired.

He didn't find it overly off putting for what his goals are but said the difference was fairly noticeable when compared to the other clubs and said he could see if you had driven the extra 30 minutes from the city out there you would have been a tad underwhelmed.

Do we know if the club has any planned investment in the facility coming up......i know they have the volunteer group doing a lot of great work but that's more finishing touches like painting, gardening etc. Hoping now that our financial position is a better it might be on the agenda.
whufc
Coach

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:50 pm

whufc wrote:
northerner wrote:

Couple of quality lads.

Schiller
Pisani
Lleywellen
Thompson
Neagle x 2
Fort

When you consider that three of those players only played a handful of matches between them, we have come away pretty lightly (so far). Yes the loss of Trav, Matt, Ryan and Fraser will hurt, but I am confident the club will overcome these losses. Just about every club will lose at least four of their players from the previous season.
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:56 pm

whufc wrote:Was speaking to a player who toured the club in recent weeks and was interested to hear his take on the clubrooms/facilities/ground at Centrals, he hadn't been to Elizabeth Oval in over ten years.

Mentioned it felt like it hadn't aged a day since then.....he said the ground/grandstand/fencing etc felt like a glorified country ground and was miles behind places like Norwood, Glenelg, Prospect. Mentioned the changerooms were pretty much the same as what he had seen ten years ago...gym and pool area looking very tired.

He didn't find it overly off putting for what his goals are but said the difference was fairly noticeable when compared to the other clubs and said he could see if you had driven the extra 30 minutes from the city out there you would have been a tad underwhelmed.

Do we know if the club has any planned investment in the facility coming up......i know they have the volunteer group doing a lot of great work but that's more finishing touches like painting, gardening etc. Hoping now that our financial position is a better it might be on the agenda.

It is a bit concerning to hear that our gym and pool area are not in the greatest of nick. If that is the case, these should certainly be put high on our priority list for maintenance work/improvement. I don't think the state of the grandstand or fencing will have any determination on whether a player chooses to come out to the Ponderosa though. The fact it feels like a country ground is probably a blessing rather than a curse in many ways. You mention Norwood and Glenelg as comparisons. I think the only differences between our ground and theirs is the size of the ground and the fact that ours looks out into 'rural' scenery rather than buildings. Those grounds are tiny postage-stamp ovals. As a player, I would hate to play at Norwood - the proximity of their grandstand to the actual playing surface puts a shudder down my spine every time i go there. As for the actual ground condition, I don't think there is a ground in the SANFL that comes up as well as the Ponderosa does. If you look at the condition of most other grounds mid-season, ours is in great nick. What will sway possible newcomers to a club is largely the quality of the key personnel at the club. Having spoken to a few potential recruits over the past week, we score pretty well on that count.

Cheers
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby northerner » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:49 pm

whufc wrote:Was speaking to a player who toured the club in recent weeks and was interested to hear his take on the clubrooms/facilities/ground at Centrals, he hadn't been to Elizabeth Oval in over ten years.

Oh dear....
To put things right.
The pool and the gym are indeed 15 years old but are kept in very good condition. Very few Clubs (if any???) have a pool for rehab as part of their Changerooms. These facilities are often seen as a strength of the Club when compared with others.
There is no need for an upgrade of the home changeroom as it is roomy, clean and fit for purpose.
The away changerooms were demolished last season. In its place, behind the grandstand, there has been a facility built with THREE changerooms. This includes the BIGGEST away changeroom in the SANFL, and two other changerooms to cater for carnival days as well as the Womens teams. These have now been finished.
The fence around the playing surface is being replaced with a white picket fence all around the ground. This starts next week.
There are plans for a function centre overlooking the oval with glass frontage. These plans are with the Council at present awaiting approval.
There has been a display of memorabilia set up as a mini-museum inside the Clubrooms.

Maybe its time to renew your (obviously) lapsed membership so that you can keep up to speed with whats happening, and then you might sense the positivity that is around. Meggsy is a go-getter and does a brilliant job in keeping the members informed.

Over a dozen recruits, including several league players from other clubs have toured the facility and all clearly have a more positive viewpoint than the one you have shared, as they have/are inking deals at a rate we havent seen for many a year.
northerner
Reserves

Postby whufc » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:02 pm

northerner wrote:

Oh dear....
To put things right.
The pool and the gym are indeed 15 years old but are kept in very good condition. Very few Clubs (if any???) have a pool for rehab as part of their Changerooms. These facilities are often seen as a strength of the Club when compared with others.
There is no need for an upgrade of the home changeroom as it is roomy, clean and fit for purpose.
The away changerooms were demolished last season. In its place, behind the grandstand, there has been a facility built with THREE changerooms. This includes the BIGGEST away changeroom in the SANFL, and two other changerooms to cater for carnival days as well as the Womens teams. These have now been finished.
The fence around the playing surface is being replaced with a white picket fence all around the ground. This starts next week.
There are plans for a function centre overlooking the oval with glass frontage. These plans are with the Council at present awaiting approval.
There has been a display of memorabilia set up as a mini-museum inside the Clubrooms.

Maybe its time to renew your (obviously) lapsed membership so that you can keep up to speed with whats happening, and then you might sense the positivity that is around. Meggsy is a go-getter and does a brilliant job in keeping the members informed.

Over a dozen recruits, including several league players from other clubs have toured the facility and all clearly have a more positive viewpoint than the one you have shared, as they have/are inking deals at a rate we havent seen for many a year.

That couldn't be possible we are not near the beach...... ;)

Kept in good nick but when was the equipment last updated....genuinely don't know. His feel was it all was a bit outdated but his from a health and fitness background so wasn't to big a factor for him.

So as your post would suggest with the outside stuff it would be that it is very outdated given the club is trying to make things happen which is great news.

BTW i believe he has signed for the club........but like i said he was a bit surprised.

And no i wasn't a member last year .........with 3 daughters now who require money, getting to no more than a couple of games due to me playing my own sport and previous communication from the club being really really really poor i didnt see any value in it.

From what i've been told and seen from others the communication has improved a 1000 times since Meggsy took over.

I genuinely think he has us moving in the right direction but geez he has a massive mess to clean up
whufc
Coach

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:18 pm

northerner wrote:

Oh dear....
To put things right.

Great to hear all this positive news. It looks like we are very much heading in the right direction. No wonder the potential recruits I spoke to were very impressed with our leadership.
Cheers
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby gazzamagoo » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:51 pm

There's shitloads of refurbishing & extending happening, the club is now debt-free & in an excellent financial position.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby whufc » Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:06 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:

There's shitloads of refurbishing & extending happening, the club is now debt-free & in an excellent financial position.

Thats great news to hear and well .... understanding the financial position didn't allow for it previously.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:33 am

Liddy will be handy from what I've seen and heard.....just need to recruit some proven quality state league footballers.

These blokes who are fringe / potential guys at other clubs will hopefully add the depth and maybe one will turn out to be an immediate quality league footballer but replacing Schiller, Fort, Llewellyn is the challenge as these guys were consistent SANFL quality which we severely lack.
whufc
Coach

Postby gazzamagoo » Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:56 am

whufc wrote:Liddy will be handy from what I've seen and heard.....just need to recruit some proven quality state league footballers.

These blokes who are fringe / potential guys at other clubs will hopefully add the depth and maybe one will turn out to be an immediate quality league footballer but replacing Schiller, Fort, Llewellyn is the challenge as these guys were consistent SANFL quality which we severely lack.

Remember that we have virtually 3 new recruits in Nietschke, Barreau & Launer to fill those gaps.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby whufc » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:10 am

gazzamagoo wrote:
whufc wrote:Liddy will be handy from what I've seen and heard.....just need to recruit some proven quality state league footballers.

Remember that we have virtually 3 new recruits in Nietschke, Barreau & Launer to fill those gaps.

I'm expecting big things from Nitschke this year but Launer in particular is one of those 'potential' ones. Has shown some qualities which say he can be a good consistent league footballer but his still not there yet............well not in the Schiller or Fort category anyway.
whufc
Coach

Postby gazzamagoo » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:16 am

whufc wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:

I'm expecting big things from Nitschke this year but Launer in particular is one of those 'potential' ones. Has shown some qualities which say he can be a good consistent league footballer but his still not there yet............well not in the Schiller or Fort category anyway.

Launer has been injured, will take over Schiller's role quite nicely I reckon.
Barreau is a gun, will have a huge year.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby northerner » Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:45 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:

I am going to add Shay Linke to that list. Before his water-skiing accident nearly 12 months ago, he was on AFL Clubs radar.
Hopefully he will be closer to 100% next season.
northerner
Reserves

Postby northerner » Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:49 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:
whufc wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:

Launer has been injured, will take over Schiller's role quite nicely I reckon.
Barreau is a gun, will have a huge year.

My personal view is Liddy is a like for like replacement for Trav... its there for him to make the most of.
I rate Launer, but he is more akin to Jared Schiller. I am sure Fish will relish sharing those bullocking duties that he has done for so long.
northerner
Reserves

Postby bulldogproud » Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:18 pm

We now have a number of the players that were key to the State Under 18s in 2021: Liddy, Whitelum, Linke, Dudley.
Hugo Munn could 'become' a useful player as a key forward, a role that Fraser quite often played. Our new recruit referred to but not named yet (possibly Jez?) could be used to cover either Ryan or Rhett (if we lose him to the draft).

Things are starting to take shape... but a few more to hopefully be named later this week.

Cheers
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL