retirements and upcoming signings

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: retirements and upcoming signings

Postby northerner » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:46 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:With all these signings, there's bound to be a few "fringeys" asked to move on.

.... or who see the writing on the wall.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 436 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby southernbulldog » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:00 pm

With all our signings its hard to know if we are replacing fringe players with the same Hopefully they are league standard .
southernbulldog
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby whufc » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:18 am

southernbulldog wrote:With all our signings its hard to know if we are replacing fringe players with the same Hopefully they are league standard .

Yeah 100%

What i will say though is that a few of the new recruits have been involved in the state set up and been identified as talented by more than just our club. For me that hopefully means there is a few with massive league football potential even if it's not this year.

The challenge for the club will be holding onto everyone. I'm sure there will be some hits and misses amongst this lot, some will get what they were promised whilst others might not.

At this stage though the quantity of recruits is great but the quality is the big unknown.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:20 am

Matt Longbottom is an out for North Adelaide after finishing third in the reserves Magarey Medal and winning the clubs reserves B&F.

Going back to his home club BSR in a player coach capacity.
whufc
Coach

Postby gazzamagoo » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:46 am

whufc wrote:Matt Longbottom is an out for North Adelaide after finishing third in the reserves Magarey Medal and winning the clubs reserves B&F.

Fair effort in his first year of SANFL!
Didn't like the SANFL?
Missed the country life & his tennis buddy? :D
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1660 times
Been liked: 649 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby whufc » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:00 am

gazzamagoo wrote:
whufc wrote:Matt Longbottom is an out for North Adelaide after finishing third in the reserves Magarey Medal and winning the clubs reserves B&F.

Fair effort in his first year of SANFL!
Didn't like the SANFL?
Missed the country life & his tennis buddy? :D

He played for the Eagles as junior and maybe one season of reserves football. At that point though he was very 'light' and probably considered too small.

Went back played country footy for BSR and through being the most dedicated bloke i've ever seen to the game improved in all areas including muscle mass and running ability. Won the Mail Medal with a record number of votes two years ago and decided to have one last crack SANFL. he lives and grew up with Lachie Wilsdon who is at NA so go the chance through that connection.

Was named emergency for the first 5 weeks in a row (was funny as the marketing team kept announcing him to debut on their facebook pages albeit he knew he wasn't playing). After that didnt really get a look in but had a cracker season at reserves level. I have no doubt he is up to league standards.

To be honest though i dont think he wants to play another year reserves level when he could be playing at his home club who are going through a dominate decade. Was surprised his taken up the coaching though...fair effort for a 24-year-old.

We have convinced him to get back to playing cricket now so we wont be playing doubles together until the Spalding Open. Sportsbet would surely have us as the $1.05 favourite :lol:
Last edited by whufc on Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby DOC » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:47 am

Easily good enough for league football. A sign of Norths very impressive midfield depth.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 730 times
Been liked: 2086 times

Postby Big Phil » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:10 am

I hear to be ably supported by a pretty talented B Grade coach, as well ;)
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:55 am

whufc wrote:
southernbulldog wrote:With all our signings its hard to know if we are replacing fringe players with the same Hopefully they are league standard .

Yeah 100%

What i will say though is that a few of the new recruits have been involved in the state set up and been identified as talented by more than just our club. For me that hopefully means there is a few with massive league football potential even if it's not this year.

The challenge for the club will be holding onto everyone. I'm sure there will be some hits and misses amongst this lot, some will get what they were promised whilst others might not.

At this stage though the quantity of recruits is great but the quality is the big unknown.

I have every confidence in Mark Ross as a talent-identifier and, because of this, believe that we will see more hits than misses. As you say, many have played State underage football in the past three or four years, with a number being either captain or vice-captain. As such, I believe not only will they prove to be quality footballers but, nearly equally as importantly, quality men.
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby whufc » Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:01 pm

Big Phil wrote:

I will just be the face of all the drama :)

Matt's dad will be my assistant, played over 500 games for the club, won the mail medal and multiple premierships. He will most definitely be the brains :) :)
whufc
Coach

Postby wenchbarwer » Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:34 pm

bulldogproud wrote:I have every confidence in Mark Ross as a talent-identifier and, because of this, believe that we will see more hits than misses. As you say, many have played State underage football in the past three or four years, with a number being either captain or vice-captain. As such, I believe not only will they prove to be quality footballers but, nearly equally as importantly, quality men.

I hope you're right, as a strong Centrals will only benefit the SANFL.

However, some underage state selections are influenced from outside the group, and some AFL clubs like to have a say as well. It's the only possible explanation how Brodie Grundy's younger brother made both a state team and an AFL list...
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

Has liked: 286 times
Been liked: 82 times

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:42 pm

wenchbarwer wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:I have every confidence in Mark Ross as a talent-identifier and, because of this, believe that we will see more hits than misses. As you say, many have played State underage football in the past three or four years, with a number being either captain or vice-captain. As such, I believe not only will they prove to be quality footballers but, nearly equally as importantly, quality men.

I hope you're right, as a strong Centrals will only benefit the SANFL.

However, some underage state selections are influenced from outside the group, and some AFL clubs like to have a say as well. It's the only possible explanation how Brodie Grundy's younger brother made both a state team and an AFL list...

You could well be right, and that is a not-so-good thing to hear, but I do hope that these boys made it on merit.
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Brodlach » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:41 pm

Tom Keough officially retired from SANFL
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby DOC » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:47 pm

Brodlach wrote:Tom Keough officially retired from SANFL

One of my favorite (non South) players. Tried his guts out every game.
DOC
Coach

Postby DOC » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:50 pm

“I just want to thank the West Adelaide Football Club for all they’ve given me. It’s been an honour to play for this great club for 12 years and I’ve loved every minute of it. I’ve met so many people over the years and am lucky to call so many of them my mates ” said Tom

“I am extremely grateful that I was able to represent the Bloods and to be able to Captain the club for 5 years. It is something I’m incredibly proud of. Another great highlight was, of course, the 2015 premiership, such a fantastic day for the club and team and something I’ll cherish forever”

“I want to thank the fantastic Bloods supporters, they have been through it all and their unwavering support of myself and the team throughout the years definitely does not go unnoticed. The club is made up of a lot of people and I’m a firm believer that the players are just the lucky ones who get to wear the guernsey”.

Well said Tom.
DOC
Coach

Postby MannyK » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:00 pm

Jackson Callow returns back to Norwood from Hawthorn.
MannyK

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby northerner » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:33 pm

Dale Pearce (ex Eagle juniors and this season Pt Districts A1) signed with Dogs.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 436 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby Big Phil » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:24 pm

whufc wrote:
Big Phil wrote:

I will just be the face of all the drama :)

Matt's dad will be my assistant, played over 500 games for the club, won the mail medal and multiple premierships. He will most definitely be the brains :) :)

You going to be a Playing Coach, mate?
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby whufc » Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:21 am

Nah....

1. it appears osteitis pubis has got the better of me. Finished the season last year with it and have rested ever since, haven't played a game of cricket even but it's not getting any better at all. It's a shame as i absolutely being back playing and had a decent year btu the pain during the week and time and effort to get it right for a game is too much to go through each week.

2. Personal opinion only but I'm not a huge fan of playing coaches at any level. I struggle to believe you can give your best to the coaching aspect when you're in the heat of a game concentrating on your own performance. I understand at lower levels though there are some other benefits to player coaches. Personally, though as a first-time senior coach i want to be able to focus my attention on the players rather than how I'm travelling.
whufc
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:48 am

MannyK wrote:Jackson Callow returns back to Norwood from Hawthorn.
Very happy with this
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL