No votes
ROCS
7%
Salisbury North
7%

Total votes : 29

Re: 2023 Adelaide Footy League - Division 2

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:09 am

One of the massive gum trees on Darley Road uprooted itself in the storm on Saturday and landed on the Taj.

Surprisingly, it didn't look like a great deal of damage done though, i haven't seen the tree removed yet so that might tell another tale.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby Sticks28 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:16 pm

Golden grove signing half of adelaide - have to be heavy favourites to go straight up to div 1
Sticks28
Under 16s

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 19 times

Postby jo172 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:23 pm

Sticks28 wrote:Golden grove signing half of adelaide - have to be heavy favourites to go straight up to div 1

Wonder what the chances of there being a vacant spot (or indeed more than one ...) in D1 and it being offered around are?

Not sure either of ROCS or PNU would jump at it at the pace they might have in other years. Then presumably work the way down the list to see if one of Athelstone, North Haven, Henley, PHOS etc want it.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Sticks28 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:13 pm

Wonder what the chances of there being a vacant spot (or indeed more than one ...) in D1 and it being offered around are?

Not sure either of ROCS or PNU would jump at it at the pace they might have in other years. Then presumably work the way down the list to see if one of Athelstone, North Haven, Henley, PHOS etc want it.[/quote]

Are there multiple clubs in div 1 looking to drop down to div 2? What clubs are they? have they had an exodus of players
Sticks28
Under 16s

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:58 pm

jo172 wrote:
Sticks28 wrote:Golden grove signing half of adelaide - have to be heavy favourites to go straight up to div 1

Not sure either of ROCS or PNU would jump at it at the pace they might have in other years. Then presumably work the way down the list to see if one of Athelstone, North Haven, Henley, PHOS etc want it.

Yeah, what are you on about? You'd need to be saying that either Broadview or SHOC don't want to go up?

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Postby locky801 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:04 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
jo172 wrote:

Yeah, what are you on about? You'd need to be saying that either Broadview or SHOC don't want to go up?

well Broadies certainly want to be up there ;)
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3695 times
Been liked: 1165 times

Postby jo172 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:13 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
jo172 wrote:

I think that places a largely narrow interpretation on the range of possibilities.

Let's just say I've got some informed speculation that someone in there might decide they want out.

As for my other informed speculation, probably not fair to air that publicly.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Shortman » Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:31 pm

jo172 wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:
jo172 wrote:

I think that places a largely narrow interpretation on the range of possibilities.

Let's just say I've got some informed speculation that someone in there might decide they want out.

Don't think that will be happening.
Shortman
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Down the Hill » Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:57 pm

Just because Athelstone asked to go down from D1 after 2020 why do people suddenly think its something that could happen ahead of every season. In any other year Athelstone would have been relegated anyway but because of Covid they had the right to stay in D1 but after finishing 0-18 across A & B grade and not fielding a C grade they made a sensible decision. But 2020 was unique plus you had a D2 premier in TTG that would have been promoted in any other season and they were more than willing to take the Raggies spot. But can somebody remind me of the previous time a club was approved to be dropped down from D1 or D2 or was approved for not to be promoted from D2 or D3 after making a GF?
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Fools Gold » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:17 pm

3 signings??
Fools Gold

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 20 times
Grassroots Team: Solomontown

Postby bandar » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:24 am

Down the Hill wrote:Just because Athelstone asked to go down from D1 after 2020 why do people suddenly think its something that could happen ahead of every season. In any other year Athelstone would have been relegated anyway but because of Covid they had the right to stay in D1 but after finishing 0-18 across A & B grade and not fielding a C grade they made a sensible decision. But 2020 was unique plus you had a D2 premier in TTG that would have been promoted in any other season and they were more than willing to take the Raggies spot. But can somebody remind me of the previous time a club was approved to be dropped down from D1 or D2 or was approved for not to be promoted from D2 or D3 after making a GF?

I have a vague recollection of SHOC asking to stay down some time ago with maybe Port Districts staying up in their place. Late 90s or early 2000s.
bandar
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times
Grassroots Team: PHOS Camden

Postby Sticks28 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:20 am

Fools Gold wrote:
3 signings??

Josh Glenn, Dallas hill, Michael Cavallarro, Ryan xanthopolous, Connor hillcoat, Dylan scherwdt,
Sticks28
Under 16s

Postby Trader » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:23 am

Footy Chick wrote:
jo172 wrote:

I'm only guessing and reading between the lines on a few of the other comments floating around over the last few weeks, but my guess would be Jo is alluding to the possibility that Old Iggies are falling apart (in fighting, players leaving, only avoided relegation with an unlikely late win) and may request to go down, despite earning the right to stay in D1.

I could be miles off, but that's what I took from it.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby The Big Shrek » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:27 am

jo172 wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:
jo172 wrote:

I understand Iggies have lost a lot of players. Not the first and won’t be the last team that happens to. Sometimes you just have to have a crappy year, try to make the most of being in div 1 and take your medicine. My view is the promotion/relegation system should not be fiddled with unless there are fairly extreme circumstances.

I expect iggies to stay put. They have 3 or 4 teams and will survive.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 366 times

Postby Fools Gold » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:46 am

Sticks28 wrote:
Fools Gold wrote:
3 signings??

Josh Glenn, Dallas hill, Michael Cavallarro, Ryan xanthopolous, Connor hillcoat, Dylan scherwdt,

Hill, Glenn, Schwerdt (returning) and Ryan Xanthopolous are the only new signings

Cavallaro played last year, Hillcoat had the year off
Fools Gold

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 20 times
Grassroots Team: Solomontown

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:37 pm

The Big Shrek wrote:

I understand Iggies have lost a lot of players. Not the first and won’t be the last team that happens to. Sometimes you just have to have a crappy year, try to make the most of being in div 1 and take your medicine. My view is the promotion/relegation system should not be fiddled with unless there are fairly extreme circumstances.

I expect iggies to stay put. They have 3 or 4 teams and will survive.

and you speak from experience, which year did you guys go up to bail Scotch out of the poo? I always thought that was the beginning of your run down the ladder.. Was that when Towns left to go to the SFL?

Footy Chick

Postby Old_mate21 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:51 pm

I think it was 2009 and it certainly was a bad decision by the club. I do think the beginning of the end was when Delaney said that he will coach in 2003 and then moved for work. Weed had already left and gone to Gaza, Paul Dorian coached us that year and that was our last year in div 1. We lost five games by under 3 goals and relegated by six points. Club never really recovered from that point.
Old_mate21
Rookie

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby Yank Man » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:46 pm

Old_mate21 wrote:I think it was 2009 and it certainly was a bad decision by the club. I do think the beginning of the end was when Delaney said that he will coach in 2003 and then moved for work. Weed had already left and gone to Gaza, Paul Dorian coached us that year and that was our last year in div 1. We lost five games by under 3 goals and relegated by six points. Club never really recovered from that point.

2009 is right. Towns left at the end of 2008 and moved to the SFL in 09. Lots of political reasons why Towns moved but when they left they were in Div 2 and lost a Prelim to SHOC by less than a kick. How ironic that here we are 13 years later and they are now back to the same level.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:53 pm

Old_mate21 wrote:I think it was 2009 and it certainly was a bad decision by the club. I do think the beginning of the end was when Delaney said that he will coach in 2003 and then moved for work. Weed had already left and gone to Gaza, Paul Dorian coached us that year and that was our last year in div 1. We lost five games by under 3 goals and relegated by six points. Club never really recovered from that point.

I reckon O'Connor was coach at the time
We were all giving Shrek a hard time on here
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby MoP » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:39 pm

Sticks28 wrote:
Fools Gold wrote:
3 signings??

Most of those players are GG boys anyway. Probably zero pointers. Must have big brown paper bags, though.
MoP
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League