Australian International Season 2022/23

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Season 2022/23

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:34 am

batmanbegins wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:
Brodlach wrote:When the Test calendar was set out almost a decade ago I doubt many would have thought South Africa would have dropped so far.

Too many players are focusing on the “easier” dollars of the T20. Currently there are at least three T20 tournaments being played with good money being paid, I would guess more than they would get to play Test cricket

Dunno if I totally agree with that. Their current scenario is clearly short sighted management of their Test line up and not blooding new players at the right times. When all these recent blokes retired they then replaced them all at once with inexperienced players that are just getting fed to the wolves. The West Indies have a better batting lineup than this mob.

Doesn't help de cock quit on them to get the cash. Then Markram just hasn't lived up to the hype since 2018 and there best bat last year in Peterson is out hurt.
de Kock retired citing family reasons in December last year with his wife close to giving birth to their first child.

Like you said Markham has struggled for awhile now hence him not being on this tour and losing Petersen was a big loss as he'd just established himself at number three.

I agree with LK, SA had an absolute golden generation having one of the best teams world cricket will ever see and when they all eventually retired one after another in a relatively short space of time it was also going to be tough to replace them. The quota system makes things tricky for them too obviously, it just so happened that their players of colour that were apart of their great teams- Amla, Ninti and Philander were absolute world class cricketers plus guys like Duminy and Prince were solid international cricketers too. Now it's really only Rabada who is world class.

On Jarrod Kimber's podcast channel 99.94 there's a South African podcast featuring SA journalist Neil Manthorp who is currently on ABC Grandstand commentating and him and his co-host Lungani Zama have discussed all the things mentioned in the previous posts. The money topic continually comes up on the Podcast and the money offered by the T20 competitions is substantially more than what SA cricket pays their test cricketers. The fact that the South African first class teams only play seven games in a season is continually a talking point aswell.

I'm not sure how many of the current South African Test squad will be playing in the SA T20 competition (Bavuma didn't even get selected by a franchise initially) but looking through their active test cricketers SA don't currently have any players 'missing' due to T20 cricket, Dwaine Pretorious is one guy who continually gets T20 gigs in the various competitions but isn't close to test team and Rilee Rossouw currently playing for the Thunder in the BBL but he hasn't played test cricket.

To say the fans deserve more than what has been dished up is harsh, it's not CA's fault this South African team has struggled with the bat recently and they're not as good as they used to be.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:37 am

Gee Langer is as boring as bat shit.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby DOC » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:39 am

As usual TDK a well thought out and written post.

You certainly love your cricket.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby DOC » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:40 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Gee Langer is as boring as bat shit.

Is bat shit more boring than bowling shit?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:43 am

DOC wrote:As usual TDK a well thought out and written post.

You certainly love your cricket.

In my playing days I was known as unisys, I knew every player stat and whenever we were fielding I knew what the opposition was on and their run rate required to 2 decimal places…………..and I don’t think I belong in the same library as TDK.

I too throughly enjoy reading his knowledge, I know more about todays game because of him.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:44 am

DOC wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Gee Langer is as boring as bat shit.

Is bat shit more boring than bowling shit?

Depends on if there’s a shit field.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:56 am

What a bullshit rule
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:56 am

Learn something everyday with the DRS rules or I've just simply tuned out of cricket for too long to know the rules :lol:
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby mal » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:57 am

SA despite losing this series 3-0, will again rise and be a very good Test cricket team in the future
They have a great bowling attack, should they find sum batting depth they will be a very good team sooner than later
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:57 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:What a bullshit rule

Really is a batsman's game
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Hector » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:59 am

The Dark Knight wrote:
batmanbegins wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:
Brodlach wrote:When the Test calendar was set out almost a decade ago I doubt many would have thought South Africa would have dropped so far.

Too many players are focusing on the “easier” dollars of the T20. Currently there are at least three T20 tournaments being played with good money being paid, I would guess more than they would get to play Test cricket

Dunno if I totally agree with that. Their current scenario is clearly short sighted management of their Test line up and not blooding new players at the right times. When all these recent blokes retired they then replaced them all at once with inexperienced players that are just getting fed to the wolves. The West Indies have a better batting lineup than this mob.

Doesn't help de cock quit on them to get the cash. Then Markram just hasn't lived up to the hype since 2018 and there best bat last year in Peterson is out hurt.
de Kock retired citing family reasons in December last year with his wife close to giving birth to their first child.

Like you said Markham has struggled for awhile now hence him not being on this tour and losing Petersen was a big loss as he'd just established himself at number three.

I agree with LK, SA had an absolute golden generation having one of the best teams world cricket will ever see and when they all eventually retired one after another in a relatively short space of time it was also going to be tough to replace them. The quota system makes things tricky for them too obviously, it just so happened that their players of colour that were apart of their great teams- Amla, Ninti and Philander were absolute world class cricketers plus guys like Duminy and Prince were solid international cricketers too. Now it's really only Rabada who is world class.

On Jarrod Kimber's podcast channel 99.94 there's a South African podcast featuring SA journalist Neil Manthorp who is currently on ABC Grandstand commentating and him and his co-host Lungani Zama have discussed all the things mentioned in the previous posts. The money topic continually comes up on the Podcast and the money offered by the T20 competitions is substantially more than what SA cricket pays their test cricketers. The fact that the South African first class teams only play seven games in a season is continually a talking point aswell.

I'm not sure how many of the current South African Test squad will be playing in the SA T20 competition (Bavuma didn't even get selected by a franchise initially) but looking through their active test cricketers SA don't currently have any players 'missing' due to T20 cricket, Dwaine Pretorious is one guy who continually gets T20 gigs in the various competitions but isn't close to test team and Rilee Rossouw currently playing for the Thunder in the BBL but he hasn't played test cricket.

To say the fans deserve more than what has been dished up is harsh, it's not CA's fault this South African team has struggled with the bat recently and they're not as good as they used to be.

Agree with all the sentiments already posted, great insight. I'm taking notes to bring up with my mates!

When I said we deserve more than this, it was a go at the West Indies, South Africa and the plight of test cricket rather than Cricket Australia. It's disappointing that out of 2 touring teams, not one is making a spectacle of it. WI battled in Perth and had they batted first and made 300 it might have been different. They are at least looking on the improve (finally). And I miss the touring matches against state sides as lead in games, now it's just a once off match against a PMXI (I hope when Australia go to England next year they play Netherlands and Ireland as part of the tour). I think CA have a small part to play in the fixturing of things (length of BBL season etc) but its really on each nation to ensure that they are looking after the game of cricket as a whole which includes a strong test competition, not just immediate dollars of T20 cricket.
Hector
Rookie

Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:00 pm

Umpires should be all over the time wasting.
All teams do it.
But the batsman should be ready when the bowler is. Similar to tennis. Receiver needs to be ready when the server is.
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:04 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Umpires should be all over the time wasting.
All teams do it.
But the batsman should be ready when the bowler is. Similar to tennis. Receiver needs to be ready when the server is.

It’s laughable hey?
I hated the breaks when I batted, I liked facing as many balls as possible once out there.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:05 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:What a bullshit rule

Really is a batsman's game

Sure is, would’ve been hitting halfway up middle and orf, we weren’t even given the satisfaction of ball tracking.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby am Bays » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:09 pm

Agree totally

And don’t get me started on on the incessant changing of gloves and unscheduled drinks.

Unless it’s an injury no drinks or gloves changes should be allowed within 15 mins of a drinks or session break.

And the injury means you to retire hurt (helmet knocks excepted)
Last edited by am Bays on Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Brodlach » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:10 pm

mal wrote:SA despite losing this series 3-0, will again rise and be a very good Test cricket team in the future
They have a great bowling attack, should they find sum batting depth they will be a very good team sooner than later

People forget or aren’t old enough to remember the Kim Hughes era
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby am Bays » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:25 pm

Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby stampy » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:31 pm

Brodlach wrote:
mal wrote:SA despite losing this series 3-0, will again rise and be a very good Test cricket team in the future

People forget or aren’t old enough to remember the Kim Hughes era

exactly, from 84/85 to 88/89 we were very ordinary in the test arena
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 331 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby whufc » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:33 pm

am Bays wrote:Agree totally

And don’t get me started on on the incessant changing of gloves and unscheduled drinks.

Unless it’s an injury no drinks or gloves changes should be allowed within 15 mins of a drinks or session break.

And the injury means you to retire hurt (helmet knocks excepted)

We actually might agree on a topic

Changing gloves every twenty minutes is the biggest load of crap!
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:36 pm

They’ve definitely got my interest raised

Already can’t wait for the next Ashes series and looking to book some annual leave days so I can do some all nighters
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket