Australian International Season 2022/23

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Season 2022/23

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:46 pm

.Image
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:03 pm

Brodlach wrote:Fox Cricket mentioned Wednesday that we only needed a one draw from our four games to make the final

Incorrect if SL win the series 2-0 in NZ we would need either 2 draws or 1 win.

Any other result than a 2-0 win to Sri Lanka and our results don’t matter we are through.

Including this test we have 5 remaining as the India series is a 4 test series. I’m guessing they made the mistake of doing the math on a three test series in India

Either way we should go through, I wouldn’t put it past us to lose 4-0 but doubt Sri Lanka can win two test in NZ.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2530 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:08 pm

The predictor i did, i had india winning 4-0 and NZ winning 2-0
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11844 times
Been liked: 3600 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:11 pm

How could we possibly win this test….

1. Declare overnight and Set up a game with SAF by declaring 0/0 in our third innings.

2. Bat till lunch like it’s a t20. Try and get the score to 600 (125 in the session). Then have 5 sessions (150 -170 overs) to bowl them out twice for under 600. Wouldn’t be the usual thing given teams don’t like to spend back to back days in the field.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:13 pm

whufc wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Fox Cricket mentioned Wednesday that we only needed a one draw from our four games to make the final

Any other result than a 2-0 win to Sri Lanka and our results don’t matter we are through.

Including this test we have 5 remaining as the India series is a 4 test series. I’m guessing they made the mistake of doing the math on a three test series in India

Either way we should go through, I wouldn’t put it past us to lose 4-0 but doubt Sri Lanka can win two test in NZ.
You're all over it Whufc, love it!
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby DOC » Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:15 pm

No play today.

Two results possible still. A draw or Australia to bowl them out twice without batting again (follow on).
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 731 times
Been liked: 2086 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:33 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
whufc wrote:

I just really enjoy the WTC and genuinely believe it does have relevance and removed dead rubbers.

Not sure the top 2 one off test at lords is the best answer for a final (imagine a packed aussie ground or Indian ground for the final) but I don’t really have a better solution…..maybe 3 test series, top team gets two home test, away team gets 1, understanding fixture congestion.

I would also probably add a relegation / promotion system as well for the bottom side in the WTC and the best of the rest Ireland, Afganhistan, Netherlands etc
Last edited by whufc on Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby Hector » Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:37 pm

whufc wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
whufc wrote:

I just really enjoy the WTC and genuinely believe it does have relevance and removed dead rubbers.

Not sure the top 2 one off test at lords is the best answer for a final (imagine a packed aussie ground or Indian ground for the final) but I don’t really have a better solution…..maybe 3 test series, top team gets two home test, away team gets 1, understanding fixture congestion.

Agreed. I think it's a good concept. Keeps me informed with how other nations are going as well, I've found myself watching/looking up results more often because of it. Don't think a one-off test is the answer but don't have a better solution either.
Hector
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby Hector » Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:38 pm

Is it time to think about rescheduling the fixturing of our summer of cricket? Perhaps international one day/T20 series in November/December to coincide with domestic comp/bbl and push the test matches back to January/February. Maybe the Melbourne Boxing Day test could be the first test match of the summer. The Brisbane test has already been moved, why not Perth and Adelaide? Could give the international players an opportunity to play some Shield cricket at the start of the summer as well
Hector
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:49 pm

whufc wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
whufc wrote:

I would also probably add a relegation / promotion system as well for the bottom side in the WTC and the best of the rest Ireland, Afganhistan, Netherlands etc

Agree mate, no more dead rubbers!

Don't mean to correct you but this years WTC Final will be played at the Oval and not Lords.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:59 pm

Do you know what the reasoning behind the English held final is??

Was the WTC an English brainchild, is the ICC based in England, it’s location or do they believe they are the most even pitches.

Reckon if we were top a Aus/Ind final would get 90k on day 1. Would be crazy.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:49 pm

whufc wrote:Do you know what the reasoning behind the English held final is??

Was the WTC an English brainchild, is the ICC based in England, it’s location or do they believe they are the most even pitches.

Not 100% sure but Lords is the home of cricket so I assumed that's why. I read on the ESPN Cricinfo Commentary from the Aus v SA Boxing Day test that the final is at Oval instead of Lords because of commercial agreements as the ICC requires a 'clean' venue for its own sponsers.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:12 pm

I don’t think they give a toss about the revenue, I’m cool with it being a neutral venue, that way the pitch can’t be doctored to accommodate the home sides strength.

All bullshit aside, I don’t see the point in a GF, we have the test rankings, I think that’s enough evidence to crown who’s the #1 team in the world.

It’s all quite inconclusive IMO, Sri Lanka thrashed us earlier in the year over there, they wouldn’t have fared much better than South Africa if we played them here. India is the true #1 for mine, to perform against us over here like they did was exceptional, the Poms under Ben Stokes are becoming a very formidable team, we’re going to have to produce some pretty special cricket to have a successful 2023, we’ll be needing somewhat of a rebuild after that to not lose a heap of players simultaneously.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby DOC » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:29 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:

Not 100% sure but Lords is the home of cricket so I assumed that's why. I read on the ESPN Cricinfo Commentary from the Aus v SA Boxing Day test that the final is at Oval instead of Lords because of commercial agreements as the ICC requires a 'clean' venue for its own sponsers.

Based in Dubai
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 731 times
Been liked: 2086 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:49 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

I don’t think they give a toss about the revenue, I’m cool with it being a neutral venue, that way the pitch can’t be doctored to accommodate the home sides strength.

All bullshit aside, I don’t see the point in a GF, we have the test rankings, I think that’s enough evidence to crown who’s the #1 team in the world.

It’s all quite inconclusive IMO, Sri Lanka thrashed us earlier in the year over there, they wouldn’t have fared much better than South Africa if we played them here. India is the true #1 for mine, to perform against us over here like they did was exceptional, the Poms under Ben Stokes are becoming a very formidable team, we’re going to have to produce some pretty special cricket to have a successful 2023, we’ll be needing somewhat of a rebuild after that to not lose a heap of players simultaneously.

I could live with no GF, do away with the rankings and make the WTC table winner at the end of the cycle the world champions. Would make this upcoming Aus/Ind series even more interesting
whufc
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:23 am

Weather is Sydney looks ok today, surely Australia declare straight away?
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby whufc » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:11 am

Lyon discussing how they are going to try and deliberately run on the pitch as much as possible to try and deteriorate the pitch.

We all know it happens but surprised his on tv talking about how that’s what they will try to do :lol: :shock:
whufc
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:35 am

The Dark Knight wrote:Weather is Sydney looks ok today, surely Australia declare straight away?

Nothing to be gained by doing so, so let Uzzie get his double ton.

I was listening to the racing channel this morning and they said that there was enough overnight rain to downgrade the track to a heavy 8. Odd for this time of year to have a track in that condition. I also noted that Sydney are expecting 27's for the rest of the week.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby whufc » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:37 am

gadj1976 wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:Weather is Sydney looks ok today, surely Australia declare straight away?

Huh….you gain extra overs in the game.

They would have killed for extra overs in the last Sydney test.
whufc
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:38 am

whufc wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

Huh….you gain extra overs in the game.

They would have killed for extra overs in the last Sydney test.

Yeh, if the series was still in the balance, I'd say declare too.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket