Modernising Test Cricket

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Modernising Test Cricket

Postby Lightning McQueen » Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:18 am

FlyingHigh wrote:
Not sure about the Windies getting through their overs. Quite often it was a tactic to bowl their overs slower so they'd only get 80ish bowled or alternatively IIRC some times, ie 1991 over there, the conditions were overs had to be bowled, so they would go up to an hour over time.

Please don’t let facts tarnish my cool story ;)
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:24 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:
Not sure about the Windies getting through their overs. Quite often it was a tactic to bowl their overs slower so they'd only get 80ish bowled or alternatively IIRC some times, ie 1991 over there, the conditions were overs had to be bowled, so they would go up to an hour over time.

:lol:
You're right, they did use Viv and others to make it look they were trying, but there over rates were still sh!thouse!!
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:55 am

Jim05 wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:I think what I find most annoying is when there are rain delays etc. they don't take lunch / tea when its raining but rather wait and have it close to its scheduled time.
The excuse is that Catering is all pre organised for set times and a costly expense to move it around. Surely in this day and age you can adjust a break by an hour or two?

I wonder how many of the actual players would partake in Lunch anyway? The following would only have a light lunch, something cold, bit of fruit etc. Four batsman, ( the 2 in and the next 2) plus 4 to 5 bowlers. so really only around 13 players (7 of them can eat at anytime), the ones that would gorge themselves and want the hot meals served precisely at the right time would be all the hangers on, the pigs with the snout in the trough.
I say move the lunch break if required
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:59 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:

And then they got the advantage of bowling in fading light, a very deliberate tactic
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:11 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:There could be a difference between modernising Test cricket and the improvements we, as cricket lovers, would like to see.

Agree with Whuffer about the gloves, gadj about the 90 overs and AE about the breaks on an interrupted day.

Could we have a reserve Day 6. Not to make up for every 1/2 delay, but keep it simple so if a full session is lost, it is made up as such on Day 6.

Glove changing is plain ridiculous, the standard of gloves today would be 1000 times better than what used to be around. Should only be changed if they’re torn or at a scheduled drinks break.

Even the Windies used to squeeze their overs in, they did use Viv and Larry a bit to push a few through with their 2-3 step run ups.

Given the gloves are changed so regularly, its not a good look for the manufacturers, gives the impression they are crap
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11837 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby amber_fluid » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:16 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Why cant we start earlier? Or is it purely for TV that the cricket runs into the 6pm news?

I also think there needs to be more flexibility with playing times.

Teams need to be bowlinng 90 overs a day. It simply isnt that hard. If teams cant keep up with the over rate than they need to be punished. when teams want to bowl more overs, its amazing how quick they can all get into positions :evil:

The review system needs a complete overhaul - or we simply just go back to accepting the on-field umpires decisions. they get some wrong, they get most correct.
when a batsman gets out - just get off the f#$##$!@%$%$@ ground asap, none of this sunday stroll on the beach pace wandering off, waiting for the review to show a no ball etc.

i agree with the pink ball.

there should also be a Test Final for the 2nd tier of nations which can be played before the main event. give these burgeoning countries a goal to aim for and an experience that can only benefit their development

They won’t start earlier as they’ll want the players to have a decent nights sleep, breakfast, exercise, a practice session and media commitments to fit in before the start of play.

You forgot to add, ‘stroke each others ego’!
Put that between breakfast and exercise.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2513 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:49 am

heres my take
All tests day night, with pink ball, reduced to four days, always starting on a Thursday. This allows for a Test every week, maybe we could fit in more test matches and have the WTC even more relative if we are able to get through a few more test matches each year. Not too many pink ball tests have gone five days anyway, with 4 day tests they could still have a reserve day if a whole day gets washed out. The bowling load is lighter so playing a Test each week with 3 days break is possible.

Fine both teams players for slow over rates, not just the fielding team. They have an extra half hour every day anyway, this is the allowance for reviews. No lenience because there was a high amount of reviews. Have more retired hurts, put rules in place that they must go off if they cant physically face up in the normal time frame, Warner last test was a prime example, how much time was wasted while he got cramp treatment, just get off the ground and get all the treatment you need. Same for concussion checks. Perhaps a retired hurt batsman can go back in at any time, he doesnt have to wait for a wicket to fall. If you find yourself behind adjust tactics, move faster etc etc.

No gear adjustments outside of drinks and longer breaks. No drinks outside of drinks breaks unless its hot or humid.

The touring team can bat first if they wish, if not then a toss is performed.

1st test is Boxing day, 26th to 29th, need to have later in season as its too cold in Oct/Nov for D/N. 2nd test Sydney Jan2nd to 5th. 3rd test Gabba needs to fall back to thurs to sunday. Maybe an extended time here of up to a 14 day break between 2nd and 3rd test to complete BBL. This year 3rd test would start on 19th Jan to 22nd, 4th test Adelaide ensuring that one of the days is on Australia day, this year starts on Thursd 26th jan to 29th. 5th test perth 2nd feb to 5th.
BBL starts in mid December, finishes Sunday 15th Jan. either reduce the number of games or play some triple headers, ie 3 teams play each other all on the same day. No BBL on test match days unless TV is happy for 11am games a s a lead in to the Days play of the Test.
This leaves all of October, November and half of December to complete the shield season, 10 weeks, 10 matches all D/N. Test players availble, if not on tour.
ODD after the BBL final during the Tests as a lead in to the ODI's in Feb after the tests. No T20 internationals apart from a world cup every 2 years.

sorry io got a bit off topic but every format needs to fit into the caledar to allow Test cricket to thrive and no point putting forward changes without a practical solution.

Drastic changes are required to keep it alive. Do you want to keep the traditions and not have it in 10 years time or do you want to keep it in a form that is pretty close to it?
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:01 pm

I like your ideas Daisy but Australia not hosting day-night test matches in November/December because it's 'too cold' LOL :) Surely you've got a better reason than that not to host matches then?

I agree with everyone else about eliminating all the unnecessary glove changes and all those similar minor interruptions aswell as bowling 90 overs in a day being mandatory and that comes down to the starting time, at least have play start at 10am if regular Red ball tests continue.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10328 times
Been liked: 1519 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:16 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:I like your ideas Daisy but Australia not hosting day-night test matches in November/December because it's 'too cold' LOL :) Surely you've got a better reason than that not to host matches then?

I agree with everyone else about eliminating all the unnecessary glove changes and all those similar minor interruptions aswell as bowling 90 overs in a day being mandatory and that comes down to the starting time, at least have play start at 10am if regular Red ball tests continue.

Playing shield matches during that period is as good a reason as any,as is having Australian players available. I was meaning its too cold for the spectators, i was at Day 1 of the Test this year and left early, it was freezing, that was December.
Ive done a lot of thought on how to fit it all in and i think this is the best way. 5 day tests are the biggest hindrance to programming
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:19 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:I like your ideas Daisy but Australia not hosting day-night test matches in November/December because it's 'too cold' LOL :) Surely you've got a better reason than that not to host matches then?

Playing shield matches during that period is as good a reason as any,as is having Australian players available. I was meaning its too cold for the spectators, i was at Day 1 of the Test this year and left early, it was freezing, that was December.
Ive done a lot of thought on how to fit it all in and i think this is the best way. 5 day tests are the biggest hindrance to programming

dont bring climate change into it :D
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11837 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:30 pm

daysofourlives wrote:

Yes agree with that, play the Shield Matches in the lead up to a test series to give the players the opportunity to play as much red ball cricket as possible prior.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10328 times
Been liked: 1519 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Lightning McQueen » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:39 pm

Shortening the BBL next year aren’t they?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:42 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Shortening the BBL next year aren’t they?

15/15?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2513 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:43 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Shortening the BBL next year aren’t they?

15/15?

F15?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:07 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Why cant we start earlier? Or is it purely for TV that the cricket runs into the 6pm news?

Teams need to be bowlinng 90 overs a day. It simply isnt that hard. If teams cant keep up with the over rate than they need to be punished. when teams want to bowl more overs, its amazing how quick they can all get into positions :evil:

The review system needs a complete overhaul - or we simply just go back to accepting the on-field umpires decisions. they get some wrong, they get most correct.
when a batsman gets out - just get off the f#$##$!@%$%$@ ground asap, none of this sunday stroll on the beach pace wandering off, waiting for the review to show a no ball etc.

there should also be a Test Final for the 2nd tier of nations which can be played before the main event. give these burgeoning countries a goal to aim for and an experience that can only benefit their development

You watch how quickly they rattle through the overs in this last session.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:23 pm

and make it affordable to go.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Hector » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:40 pm

daysofourlives wrote:heres my take
All tests day night, with pink ball, reduced to four days, always starting on a Thursday. This allows for a Test every week, maybe we could fit in more test matches and have the WTC even more relative if we are able to get through a few more test matches each year. Not too many pink ball tests have gone five days anyway, with 4 day tests they could still have a reserve day if a whole day gets washed out. The bowling load is lighter so playing a Test each week with 3 days break is possible.

Fine both teams players for slow over rates, not just the fielding team. They have an extra half hour every day anyway, this is the allowance for reviews. No lenience because there was a high amount of reviews. Have more retired hurts, put rules in place that they must go off if they cant physically face up in the normal time frame, Warner last test was a prime example, how much time was wasted while he got cramp treatment, just get off the ground and get all the treatment you need. Same for concussion checks. Perhaps a retired hurt batsman can go back in at any time, he doesnt have to wait for a wicket to fall. If you find yourself behind adjust tactics, move faster etc etc.

No gear adjustments outside of drinks and longer breaks. No drinks outside of drinks breaks unless its hot or humid.

1st test is Boxing day, 26th to 29th, need to have later in season as its too cold in Oct/Nov for D/N. 2nd test Sydney Jan2nd to 5th. 3rd test Gabba needs to fall back to thurs to sunday. Maybe an extended time here of up to a 14 day break between 2nd and 3rd test to complete BBL. This year 3rd test would start on 19th Jan to 22nd, 4th test Adelaide ensuring that one of the days is on Australia day, this year starts on Thursd 26th jan to 29th. 5th test perth 2nd feb to 5th.
BBL starts in mid December, finishes Sunday 15th Jan. either reduce the number of games or play some triple headers, ie 3 teams play each other all on the same day. No BBL on test match days unless TV is happy for 11am games a s a lead in to the Days play of the Test.
This leaves all of October, November and half of December to complete the shield season, 10 weeks, 10 matches all D/N. Test players availble, if not on tour.
ODD after the BBL final during the Tests as a lead in to the ODI's in Feb after the tests. No T20 internationals apart from a world cup every 2 years.

sorry io got a bit off topic but every format needs to fit into the caledar to allow Test cricket to thrive and no point putting forward changes without a practical solution.

Drastic changes are required to keep it alive. Do you want to keep the traditions and not have it in 10 years time or do you want to keep it in a form that is pretty close to it?

Agree with a lot of this. Especially moving the test matches to December-February rather than November-January. Like you said, allows for Shield season and touring teams can play some State games in the lead up. Can even have the one-day Internationals November/December after our domestic comp. BBL definitely needs to be shorter, I'd be more than happy with a 7 game season, play everyone once. Could have a 'rival' team play twice to make 4 home, 4 away matches.
I like the idea of 4 day test matches starting on the Thursday. And away team should have choice of batting/bowling (would take away some of the 'doctoring' of pitches).
Bring in penalty runs for slow over rates (like their supposedly is in T20). 5 or 10 runs per over short at end of regular time or automatically applied immediately to the team not ready to go would speed things up. Easy to see if it's the batting or bowling team. Could even bring in a shot clock for each over or between overs. This would reduce glove/drink breaks (if you had to be ready to go 30 seconds after completion of over, hard to run gloves out in that time).
Hector
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby Hector » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:40 pm

daysofourlives wrote:heres my take

Agree with a lot of this. Especially moving the test matches to December-February rather than November-January. Like you said, allows for Shield season and touring teams can play some State games in the lead up. Can even have the one-day Internationals November/December after our domestic comp. BBL definitely needs to be shorter, I'd be more than happy with a 7 game season, play everyone once. Could have a 'rival' team play twice to make 4 home, 4 away matches.
I like the idea of 4 day test matches starting on the Thursday. And away team should have choice of batting/bowling (would take away some of the 'doctoring' of pitches).
Bring in penalty runs for slow over rates (like their supposedly is in T20). 5 or 10 runs per over short at end of regular time or automatically applied immediately to the team not ready to go would speed things up. Easy to see if it's the batting or bowling team. Could even bring in a shot clock for each over or between overs. This would reduce glove/drink breaks (if you had to be ready to go 30 seconds after completion of over, hard to run gloves out in that time).
Hector
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:35 pm

Over rates have been a problem for decades. Change the playing conditions from time to overs and watch the over rate improve.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:54 am

It's crazy to think it's that simple yet the ICC won't change it for some strange reason.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket