Adelaide

Talk on the national game

Re: Adelaide

Postby whufc » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:23 am

The Bedge wrote:Little surprised more young players don't burn out or lose interest to be honest.

You're basically putting your life on hold from 13+ and everything is into footy to get drafted.. then get drafted and it's football 24/7 busting your arse to get a game. It's a fair demand / sacrifice for a young person, especially when your friends are probably enjoying a different lifestyle.

Especially from 17-21 years of age where the game really goes from being a 'game' to being your job and a business. Reckon that would start to take its toll and suck some of the enjoyment out of the game.

Especially in this day and age of how structured on field high-level football is now.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2530 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby MW » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:25 am

whufc wrote:
The Bedge wrote:Little surprised more young players don't burn out or lose interest to be honest.

You're basically putting your life on hold from 13+ and everything is into footy to get drafted.. then get drafted and it's football 24/7 busting your arse to get a game. It's a fair demand / sacrifice for a young person, especially when your friends are probably enjoying a different lifestyle.

Especially from 17-21 years of age where the game really goes from being a 'game' to being your job and a business. Reckon that would start to take its toll and suck some of the enjoyment out of the game.

Especially in this day and age of how structured on field high-level football is now.

I know not all are paid 5-800k per year, but even a first year rookie is getting close to $100k p.a. They are well and truly compensated for the 'sacrifice' they make to set themselves up for life over a 10-15 year period.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2608 times
Been liked: 1848 times

Postby whufc » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:33 am

No doubt they are well compensated but just like all of us we strive to have some enjoyment, fulfillment in the jobs we have.

You go from junior club football at age 13,14,15 which is still very much run around chase the ball get as many kicks as you can etc albeit coaches try and bring in structures, by the age of 20 every possession/contest is scrutinized, everything from positioning at stoppages through to where you should be kicking from each spot on the ground is analyzed.

Some play the sport and love it for being a 'game' whilst also being really good at it and not living and breathing it.

As soft as this sounds as well i imagine most kids who are drafted have generally dominated football right through juniors, they get to the AFL and for the first time in their careers they are at the absolute bottom of the pack. Surely some struggle with that.
whufc
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:42 am

whufc wrote:No doubt they are well compensated but just like all of us we strive to have some enjoyment, fulfillment in the jobs we have.

You go from junior club football at age 13,14,15 which is still very much run around chase the ball get as many kicks as you can etc albeit coaches try and bring in structures, by the age of 20 every possession/contest is scrutinized, everything from positioning at stoppages through to where you should be kicking from each spot on the ground is analyzed.

Some play the sport and love it for being a 'game' whilst also being really good at it and not living and breathing it.

As soft as this sounds as well i imagine most kids who are drafted have generally dominated football right through juniors, they get to the AFL and for the first time in their careers they are at the absolute bottom of the pack. Surely some struggle with that.

Totally agree mate.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2608 times
Been liked: 1848 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:44 am

MW wrote:I know not all are paid 5-800k per year, but even a first year rookie is getting close to $100k p.a. They are well and truly compensated for the 'sacrifice' they make to set themselves up for life over a 10-15 year period.

Oh no doubt once you get into the system you're reasonably well compensated - although most would start closer to $70k than $100k (which is still great money for an 18yo).. but I just cant help but think the burden placed on then in those teenage years must be taxing.

I know a kid at the moment going through the high performance systems at the moment - he's 15 - and it's all manager talks, daily runs, yoga, dietician, no social media, sports psychologist sessions etc.. it's footy 24/7 live and breath it.

Just think back to my high school years, they were some of the most fun (and naughty) years of my life with my mates.. it was footy and cricket, parties and girls etc..
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4000 times

Postby whufc » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:52 am

The Bedge wrote:
MW wrote:I know not all are paid 5-800k per year, but even a first year rookie is getting close to $100k p.a. They are well and truly compensated for the 'sacrifice' they make to set themselves up for life over a 10-15 year period.

Oh no doubt once you get into the system you're reasonably well compensated - although most would start closer to $70k than $100k (which is still great money for an 18yo).. but I just cant help but think the burden placed on then in those teenage years must be taxing.

I know a kid at the moment going through the high performance systems at the moment - he's 15 - and it's all manager talks, daily runs, yoga, dietician, no social media, sports psychologist sessions etc.. it's footy 24/7 live and breath it.

Just think back to my high school years, they were some of the most fun (and naughty) years of my life with my mates.. it was footy and cricket, parties and girls etc..

Sadly i think it's only going to get worse as the years go on.....

I know their different scenarios but european soccer clubs get hold of kids as young as 8 for their junior programs. Then in the NFL high school football is a beast of its own and if you haven't talent there you are in the system from a very early age whilst failure means you can't even actually play the game.
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:22 pm

I know that I don’t get many supporting my understanding of these young lads but they get taken out of their comfortable lives and into a foreign state as teenagers, yes it’s the system, it’s the livelihood and the money is good but gee, it’s a fair adaptation at an early age.

We generally find jobs that are close enough to where we live, these guys don’t have that luxury, they don’t get to choose
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Spargo » Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:23 pm

Brodlach wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Can the Crows replace him? A DFA?

Being moved to the inactive list so can be replaced

Just stay away from Brett Turner.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5483 times
Been liked: 5122 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Corona Man » Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:28 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:I know that I don’t get many supporting my understanding of these young lads but they get taken out of their comfortable lives and into a foreign state as teenagers, yes it’s the system, it’s the livelihood and the money is good but gee, it’s a fair adaptation at an early age.

We generally find jobs that are close enough to where we live, these guys don’t have that luxury, they don’t get to choose

True.

Consider a young golfer, tennis player or even Olympic athletes. They are all pretty much identified at an early age (as are those in the AFL system) they then enter into pretty mush sink or swim environments...... internationally. Sure they have come through academies & the like, but those choosing to pursue a professional career, its out you go & compete.

The smart ones, are those that use their spare time getting qualifications for life after footy, or if they don't go onto a long AFL career.

What is the average amount of games played by someone on an AFL list - less than 80 I think.... By the same token, a Pro golfer or Tennis player has multiple tours on which they can ply their trade. There is only 1 AFL, and yes a bit of coin around at lower levels, but not mega bucks.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1279 times
Been liked: 3488 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:31 pm

Corona Man wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:I know that I don’t get many supporting my understanding of these young lads but they get taken out of their comfortable lives and into a foreign state as teenagers, yes it’s the system, it’s the livelihood and the money is good but gee, it’s a fair adaptation at an early age.

True.

Consider a young golfer, tennis player or even Olympic athletes. They are all pretty much identified at an early age (as are those in the AFL system) they then enter into pretty mush sink or swim environments...... internationally. Sure they have come through academies & the like, but those choosing to pursue a professional career, its out you go & compete.

The smart ones, are those that use their spare time getting qualifications for life after footy, or if they don't go onto a long AFL career.

What is the average amount of games played by someone on an AFL list - less than 80 I think.... By the same token, a Pro golfer or Tennis player has multiple tours on which they can ply their trade. There is only 1 AFL, and yes a bit of coin around at lower levels, but not mega bucks.

With the individual sports one of the parents will generally be on tour with them while they are young, quite often part of the coaching staff.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Corona Man » Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:33 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Corona Man wrote:

True.

With the individual sports one of the parents will generally be on tour with them while they are young, quite often part of the coaching staff.

Yes probably, but not always. I am no expert here, but a struggling young pro golfer on say the Asian Tour..... I don't think they are taking mum or dad to. I may be wrong, dunno.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:34 pm

Nobody posts this about navy, army or air force members, people far more deserving of our appreciation and understanding.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7493 times
Been liked: 10776 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:34 pm

Individual sports are even harder - you need the sponsorship dollars just to really be able to even compete. Imagine how many "pro" tennis / golf players are out there that actually struggle to make a decent crust.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:36 pm

Booney wrote:Nobody posts this about navy, army or air force members, people far more deserving of our appreciation and understanding.

Well now you have. :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:45 pm

The Bedge wrote:Individual sports are even harder - you need the sponsorship dollars just to really be able to even compete. Imagine how many "pro" tennis / golf players are out there that actually struggle to make a decent crust.

On a pro golf tour and struggling with your finances? My heart bleeds.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:47 pm

Booney wrote:
The Bedge wrote:Individual sports are even harder - you need the sponsorship dollars just to really be able to even compete. Imagine how many "pro" tennis / golf players are out there that actually struggle to make a decent crust.

On a pro golf tour and struggling with your finances? My heart bleeds.

Not talking so much about those on the big tours.

Those just starting off. Example - Peter Senior did hold, and probably still holds the course record at my old club in SA.

He slept in his car, in the car park of the golf club the night before. How's your heart now mate - ;)
Last edited by Corona Man on Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:48 pm

Booney wrote:On a pro golf tour and struggling with your finances? My heart bleeds.

Guessing you don't know many pro golfers? Unless you're in the top echelon, you earn eff all, and it costs a small fortune to enter tournaments let alone the travel / accom / expenses etc.

Reality is "pro golfer" or "pro tennis player" is pretty high risk unless you're super elite.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:02 pm

Spargo wrote:
Brodlach wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Can the Crows replace him? A DFA?

Being moved to the inactive list so can be replaced

Just stay away from Brett Turner.

Was my first thought, I think they can only list a DFA at this time of the year - they can't list a kid that missed the draft, or they may hold the spot open for the mid season draft
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3499 times

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:03 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Booney wrote:On a pro golf tour and struggling with your finances? My heart bleeds.

Guessing you don't know many pro golfers? Unless you're in the top echelon, you earn eff all, and it costs a small fortune to enter tournaments let alone the travel / accom / expenses etc.

Reality is "pro golfer" or "pro tennis player" is pretty high risk unless you're super elite.

Travelling the world, doing what you love.
Sounds pretty tough to me
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2227 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:08 pm

The Bedge wrote:

None, they all make too much money to hang around with people like me. 8)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL