Australian International Season 2022/23

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Season 2022/23

Postby Lightning McQueen » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:30 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:I think you guys a reading too much into it do you really think Davey gives a shit about a MOTS award in a largely forgettable series.

Yes, he would, he’d scream his own name out in bed.

In a room full of mirrors so he could watch himself

The good thing is we don’t have to watch Foxtel to watch the cricket

Would be ideal for him and JL to do a stint together
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby whufc » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:31 pm

am Bays wrote:I get what everyone is saying but surely they’re not that dumb to think the truth isn’t going to come out one day. You can’t delay the inevitable

Better to get it out sooner rather than later as yes it will be shit storm for a week but the reality is sandpapergate isn’t the biggest drama in Australian cricket history would barely make the top 10 (Bodyline WSC, 1970 Riots, ABCC v Melb CC, underarm etc)

Get it out there, the day will come when Warners tells all when his income streams dry up or others factors will mean either he or Candice will tell all.

Lance the boil now CA

Problem is if the truth comes out now those currently in roles both playing and admin will be suspended and admin lose their jobs. That impacts their personal $$$$$

Give it 5-10 years when everyone moves on retires etc the consequences becomes null and void other than embarrassment.

Warner comes out now with what will be extremely damning and his career is over…. He needs to cash in first

Underarm, body line isn’t close to this……at least underarm and body line was legal, they just draw ire of the spirit of the game. Not in the same statsphere as taking an object created for roughing items onto a cricket field to manipulate the ball.

I think it’s obvious sandpaper gate was not their first rodeo, I think it’s obvious that it’s not possible only 3 batsmen knew what the hell was going on. It also seems with the latest revelation the players weren’t acting rogue and they were either supporter or encouraged by administrators.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:38 pm

Just for a laugh….Warner batted four times, only once he outscored Elgar :lol:
whufc
Coach

Postby am Bays » Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:57 pm

The Warner Elgar Stat is :lol:

There was stuff going on before Ssnd paper gate, Warner used to have his thumb and fingers strapped up to the max. Tge Elastoplast was used to rough up the ball I’m sure of it

I’m still of the opinion while everyone knew in the team Davy s job was to look after the ball and rough it up with his taped fingers, the sandpaper was new and a desperate act because we were getting our arses handed to us, and because the opposition knew what Warners job was it was Bancroft the fall guy with strip of 15 grit..
All iMO

For the record my beef here is not with Warner but CA for not showing the leadership required as custodians of the game. I go back to the trophy backdrop at Sydney in 2017-18. The behaviours of CA set the tone for our cricketers behaviours.
Last edited by am Bays on Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

Postby am Bays » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:14 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
am Bays wrote:I get that but new CE, New Chairman, new coach new Captain, key players are all but moved on!

What the worse that could happen? We get a new Captain??

Win:Win I say!

And who would you recommend?

I’m not a big fan of Pat being skipper but he is our best candidate atm, his reviewing is generally spot on.

Of the current side, Head or Khawaja (would be short term)
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

Postby whufc » Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:48 am

am Bays wrote:The Warner Elgar Stat is :lol:

There was stuff going on before Ssnd paper gate, Warner used to have his thumb and fingers strapped up to the max. Tge Elastoplast was used to rough up the ball I’m sure of it

I’m still of the opinion while everyone knew in the team Davy s job was to look after the ball and rough it up with his taped fingers, the sandpaper was new and a desperate act because we were getting our arses handed to us, and because the opposition knew what Warners job was it was Bancroft the fall guy with strip of 15 grit..
All iMO

For the record my beef here is not with Warner but CA for not showing the leadership required as custodians of the game. I go back to the trophy backdrop at Sydney in 2017-18. The behaviours of CA set the tone for our cricketers behaviours.

Bang on mate 100% agree with every word of that.

The only issue I do have with Warner is it appears he used his influence in the team to bring younger newer players down with him. I can't respect that whatsoever. Obviously, it's an assumption but i think there is enough smoke there to believe it's not too far of the mark.

Surely the Bancroft 'Sugar in the Pocket' incident was also another attempt at manipulating the ball using the same 'lolly/mints' theory.
whufc
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:33 am

whufc wrote:
am Bays wrote:I get what everyone is saying but surely they’re not that dumb to think the truth isn’t going to come out one day. You can’t delay the inevitable

Better to get it out sooner rather than later as yes it will be shit storm for a week but the reality is sandpapergate isn’t the biggest drama in Australian cricket history would barely make the top 10 (Bodyline WSC, 1970 Riots, ABCC v Melb CC, underarm etc)

Get it out there, the day will come when Warners tells all when his income streams dry up or others factors will mean either he or Candice will tell all.

Lance the boil now CA

Problem is if the truth comes out now those currently in roles both playing and admin will be suspended and admin lose their jobs. That impacts their personal $$$$$

Give it 5-10 years when everyone moves on retires etc the consequences becomes null and void other than embarrassment.

Warner comes out now with what will be extremely damning and his career is over…. He needs to cash in first

Underarm, body line isn’t close to this……at least underarm and body line was legal, they just draw ire of the spirit of the game. Not in the same statsphere as taking an object created for roughing items onto a cricket field to manipulate the ball.

I think it’s obvious sandpaper gate was not their first rodeo, I think it’s obvious that it’s not possible only 3 batsmen knew what the hell was going on. It also seems with the latest revelation the players weren’t acting rogue and they were either supporter or encouraged by administrators.

I'd need a lot more proof than some feral couple saying this

And I will restate: A "leader" would have told them to eff off
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby whufc » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:34 am

It was Warners manager wasn't it.......

Surely if he came out and said something of that nature against Warners wishes he would no longer be Warners manager or Warner would have refuted the claims.
whufc
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:55 am

Don’t forget Smith in this discussion…………
He could have stopped this altogether if he was a strong leader.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2514 times

Postby Corona Man » Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:09 pm

Some pretty good points made here by all. Well done. It's difficult to believe 3 blokes worked alone, and that no one else knew, in particular the coach, who then exited stage left. I recall that test in Hobart where wholesale team changes were made (Callum Ferguson's only test), and I heard stories of the riot act being read to the players. "We pay you to win, not to play" was attributed to someone within the CA heirarchy.

My take at the time of the sandpaper affair was that those involved were most likely on heavily incentivised contracts. Such as be the #1 test nation and here's a xyz bonus. Cash was dangled and the carrot accepted. The rest is history.

As for Davy boy. I can't recall in my time following the game a more devisive and least respected player in the Australian team. Further his attention seeking media whore wife, does not assist him re gain any lost ground in the eyes of many of the public. All IMHO of course. I've stated it many times, they should have moved him on a few seasons ago. Yes the bloke can bat, and proved it in Melbourne, in tough conditions, albeit really only the one bowler serving up anything near test quality deliveries. While he may finish his career with an envyable record, he will soon fade into the background (I hope, I can't see him adding much intellect or insight on fox cricket!) as just another bloke who played once.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3481 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:08 pm

Corona Man wrote:Some pretty good points made here by all. Well done. It's difficult to believe 3 blokes worked alone, and that no one else knew, in particular the coach, who then exited stage left. I recall that test in Hobart where wholesale team changes were made (Callum Ferguson's only test), and I heard stories of the riot act being read to the players. "We pay you to win, not to play" was attributed to someone within the CA heirarchy.

My take at the time of the sandpaper affair was that those involved were most likely on heavily incentivised contracts. Such as be the #1 test nation and here's a xyz bonus. Cash was dangled and the carrot accepted. The rest is history.

As for Davy boy. I can't recall in my time following the game a more devisive and least respected player in the Australian team. Further his attention seeking media whore wife, does not assist him re gain any lost ground in the eyes of many of the public. All IMHO of course. I've stated it many times, they should have moved him on a few seasons ago. Yes the bloke can bat, and proved it in Melbourne, in tough conditions, albeit really only the one bowler serving up anything near test quality deliveries. While he may finish his career with an envyable record, he will soon fade into the background (I hope, I can't see him adding much intellect or insight on fox cricket!) as just another bloke who played once.

I'm sensing you secretly want Candice
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Trader » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:15 pm

am Bays wrote:There was stuff going on before Ssnd paper gate, Warner used to have his thumb and fingers strapped up to the max. Tge Elastoplast was used to rough up the ball I’m sure of it

All iMO

You're not alone in that thinking, I've been saying it for years, as have several others.

Warner was a gun first slip. Stood there for years and took some good catches.
We get pumped in Tassie against the reverse swinging ball (November 2016). - we don't pay you to play, we pay you to win.
Very next test he's at Mid-off, hands covered in tape. The excuse the public got told was he broke a thumb and cant risk it getting hit again. So for the next few years he's at mid-off, hands covered in tape, and the Aussies have the ball reversing.
2017/18 The aussies pump England, with the ball doing plenty.
Warner runs his mouth after the ashes, tells the poms how he does it, England ring South Africa and let them know. (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... Ashes.html)
March 2018 we're over there, they have a camera fixed on Warner and a second camera fixed on the ball, constantly.
We get done doing what we did.
Warner serves his ban.
2019, he's back, and despite all those finger issues, very first test back, he's standing at First slip, no tape on the hands.

This was never a one off as a bad reaction to some SBW sledging he was copping in South Africa.
Cricket Australia told him to do it, he was loyal and agreed, and did it.
Then when caught; they hung him out to dry.

Yes he's an idiot, yes he deserves to serve a penalty.
But I can understand why he's upset that CA have treated him the way they have and a lot of those that knew about it got away with their roles in the process.

The known punishment was a fine or one match ban (Atherton, Trescothick, Waqar Younis, Afridi, Du Plessis x2, Philander, Tendulkar, Dravid, etc) Warner was more than happy to serve his. Instead CA handled it poorly, blew it out of all proportions then bowed to public pressure and slapped a year ban, plus a lifetime leadership ban on him.

He's an idiot, no doubt, but he's been treated exteremly poorly by CA and I have no issues with him feeling aggrieved.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:23 pm

Trader wrote:
am Bays wrote:There was stuff going on before Ssnd paper gate, Warner used to have his thumb and fingers strapped up to the max. Tge Elastoplast was used to rough up the ball I’m sure of it

All iMO

You're not alone in that thinking, I've been saying it for years, as have several others.

Warner was a gun first slip. Stood there for years and took some good catches.
We get pumped in Tassie against the reverse swinging ball (November 2016). - we don't pay you to play, we pay you to win. That's fair enough but it doesn't mean cheat
Very next test he's at Mid-off, hands covered in tape. The excuse the public got told was he broke a thumb and cant risk it getting hit again. So for the next few years he's at mid-off, hands covered in tape, and the Aussies have the ball reversing.
2017/18 The aussies pump England, with the ball doing plenty.
Warner runs his mouth after the ashes, tells the poms how he does it, England ring South Africa and let them know. (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... Ashes.html) Shows that he's a bigger effwit than even I thought. Surprising he didn't tell them he was a better root than SBW
March 2018 we're over there, they have a camera fixed on Warner and a second camera fixed on the ball, constantly.
We get done doing what we did.
Warner serves his ban.
2019, he's back, and despite all those finger issues, very first test back, he's standing at First slip, no tape on the hands.

This was never a one off as a bad reaction to some SBW sledging he was copping in South Africa.
Cricket Australia told him to do it, he was loyal and agreed, and did it. Yet to be proven, and if so, heads should roll
Then when caught; they hung him out to dry. As they should

Yes he's an idiot, yes he deserves to serve a penalty.
But I can understand why he's upset that CA have treated him the way they have and a lot of those that knew about it got away with their roles in the process.

The known punishment was a fine or one match ban (Atherton, Trescothick, Waqar Younis, Afridi, Du Plessis x2, Philander, Tendulkar, Dravid, etc) Warner was more than happy to serve his. Instead CA handled it poorly, blew it out of all proportions then bowed to public pressure and slapped a year ban, plus a lifetime leadership ban on him.

He's an idiot, no doubt, but he's been treated exteremly poorly by CA and I have no issues with him feeling aggrieved.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:38 pm

We all know Warner isn’t smart enough to think of this himself.
The players, coach and CA all knew about it.

Davey was the dumb one who put his hand up to do it.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Trader » Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:57 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Trader wrote:Cricket Australia told him to do it, he was loyal and agreed, and did it.

Yet to be proven, and if so, heads should roll

If they had no idea about the plan, you don't think CA would have asked "Why is davey now at Mid-off"?
CA clearly knew and sanctioned it, that's proven by their actions.
Yes, it's not proven if they directed it, but they clearly knew about it, and I believe they directed it.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:13 pm

Trader wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:
Trader wrote:Cricket Australia told him to do it, he was loyal and agreed, and did it.

Yet to be proven, and if so, heads should roll

If they had no idea about the plan, you don't think CA would have asked "Why is davey now at Mid-off"?
CA clearly knew and sanctioned it, that's proven by their actions.
Yes, it's not proven if they directed it, but they clearly knew about it, and I believe they directed it.

You'd make a $hit judge or juror
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:12 am

amber_fluid wrote:We all know Warner isn’t smart enough to think of this himself.

Really? I think your signature speaks volumes in regard to your comment.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:20 am

gadj1976 wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:We all know Warner isn’t smart enough to think of this himself.

You really think CA and other players never knew about it?
Oh please!
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:33 am

amber_fluid wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

You really think CA and other players never knew about it?
Oh please!

I can't see how there isn't some truth to the teaser Warners manager threw out....

1/ If your Warners manager and you come out and make up a blatant lie that could further hurt the relationship with Warners employer you risk losing arguably your biggest client.

2/ The timing of the announcement seemed extremely strategical. Right after Warner announced he would drop the quest to be reinstated into leadership and right as the tv rights were getting hot.....this seemed a warning shot.

3/ Warner could never come out and make that statement otherwise he would likely face some 'bringing the game' into disrepute case. The manager says what Warner would love to say and not much can be done to Warner.

4/ The fact that more hasn't come from his comments in the same way nothing has come from the Bancroft sugar incident which was captured on film suggests 'dirt is being swept under some rugs' isn't too far of a conspiracy.

5/ Even the fact that despite not having hit a hundred in what 2-3 years, having being completely out of form Warner announced what his retirement plans were going to be.......once again seemed like a bit of a warning shot to CA regarding what Warner wants moving forward. Keep in mind our current coach may also be complicit in the going ons in SAF.....wasnt he an assistant coach or bowling coach at that time.

I find it hard to believe that CA were not aware of what was happening.....whose idea, who enforced, who encouraged it, I'm sure we will find out in the coming ten years but for one second i don't think CA were blind to all of this.
Last edited by whufc on Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:34 am

gadj1976 wrote:

Coach clearly knew, he jumped.
To say others knew about it is more believable than the alternative that only 3 people knew
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11838 times
Been liked: 3597 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket