Modernising Test Cricket

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Modernising Test Cricket

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:00 am

whufc wrote:It's crazy to think it's that simple yet the ICC won't change it for some strange reason.

TV rights and advertising.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:06 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:It's crazy to think it's that simple yet the ICC won't change it for some strange reason.

TV rights and advertising.

True....quicker days equals less time on tv which equals less adverts which should equal less tv rights $$$.

In saying that if quicker days increased viewing numbers than cost for adverts could go up more making up for the less time on tv.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:11 am

Interesting thread, I've read through and compiled my comprehensive list of changes that should be made to "modernise" Test cricket :

Leave it the f*ck alone and go watch Big Crap if you don't like it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10773 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:21 am

Booney wrote:Interesting thread, I've read through and compiled my comprehensive list of changes that should be made to "modernise" Test cricket :

Surely you see some small issues though like over rates, game time missed because of a variety of reasons.

If nothing at all changes do you think test cricket will still be around in 10 years. In Australia we will be fine but we need opponents to play.

India- should be fine, hard to tell given they haven't had 100% crowds in many years due to Covid. They did sell out a D/N test against SL
England- should be fine but interest in test cricket bounces around with the success of their team, when their up and about huge crowds.
Pakistan- really disappointing, first games back in Pakistan in how many years and empty stadiums
NZ- crowds have been poor still despite having arguably their greatest ever. team
SAF- terrible crowds and only going dwindle with the current team.
WI- not even worth talking about.
SL- Between everything else going on in that country test cricket attendances are absolutely terrible and hard to see them improving in the near future.

I think the D/N might be the way forward whether we like it or not.....bigger attendances, bigger tv audiences equals bigger $$$ for test cricket.
whufc
Coach

Postby am Bays » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:24 am

four ball overs so there can be more ads and more opportunities to change gloves and have unscheduled drinks.....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby Booney » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:25 am

whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:Interesting thread, I've read through and compiled my comprehensive list of changes that should be made to "modernise" Test cricket :

There's 1 very simply reason South Africa and the West Indies are no longer a Test match power house, their corrupt governance is chasing the flash T20 dollar and their long form cricket has suffered immeasurable pain, long term pain, because of it. It has nothing to do with needing to modernise the game. Nothing at all.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:31 am

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:

There's 1 very simply reason South Africa and the West Indies are no longer a Test match power house, their corrupt governance is chasing the flash T20 dollar and their long form cricket has suffered immeasurable pain, long term pain, because of it. It has nothing to do with needing to modernise the game. Nothing at all.

Disagree especially in the case of the Windies.....

test cricket was well in strife before the introduction of T20, infact if it wasnt for T20 cricket would be even further down the ladder in sports of interest in the west indies. Many claim that T20 saved cricket over there and at least made the $$ on offer for players comparable with other sports around the world.

My cousins still live in Jamaica and not one of them plays cricket or has an interest in it and its' nothing to do with the corrupt government. Basketball and Soccer have become the sports of choice over there by far. With the windies being such a poor country the start up costs to actually play competitive cricket have been even further amplified especially when compared to soccer and basketball.
whufc
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:46 am

I agree with Booney for a change. Leave. It. Alone.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Booney » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:49 am

whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:

Disagree especially in the case of the Windies.....

test cricket was well in strife before the introduction of T20, infact if it wasnt for T20 cricket would be even further down the ladder in sports of interest in the west indies. Many claim that T20 saved cricket over there and at least made the $$ on offer for players comparable with other sports around the world.

My cousins still live in Jamaica and not one of them plays cricket or has an interest in it and its' nothing to do with the corrupt government. Basketball and Soccer have become the sports of choice over there by far. With the windies being such a poor country the start up costs to actually play competitive cricket have been even further amplified especially when compared to soccer and basketball.

Governance* not government.

I respectfully disagree.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:49 am

Brodlach wrote:I agree with Booney for a change. Leave. It. Alone.

Not sure how I feel about this*. :lol:
Last edited by Booney on Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:51 am

Booney wrote:

Not sure how I feel about his. :lol:

His what?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:51 am

Booney wrote:

#rentfree
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 447 times
Been liked: 1210 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:55 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:

His what?

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:00 am

I'm not in Favour of massive changes but for me the immediate two have to be over rates and having full oval pitch covers so we are not waiting for outfields to dry.

The changes that i don't necessarily like but think are inevitable are D/N test matches becoming more common that day test matches. This is a no brainer that it will be happen for the exact same reason D/N one days are more popular than day games. I 'just don't like' the D/N.

The other major change i see is the 'big nations' continuing to push for more test series against one another, the ICC have tried to counter this by creating the WTC which i love as a modernized concept forcing big nations to play smaller ones. I don't see this going away though especially if India/Aus/Eng create a talent gap between the others.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:03 am

whufc wrote:Disagree especially in the case of the Windies......

Hmm I thought it was well documented that issues - particularly around $$ with the WICB and WI Government was a large part of the decline in cricket, and was also a major factor in players defecting to T20 format in the early years and/or playing overseas.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3999 times

Postby Booney » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:07 am

whufc wrote:
The other major change i see is the 'big nations' continuing to push for more test series against one another, the ICC have tried to counter this by creating the WTC which i love as a modernized concept forcing big nations to play smaller ones .

F*ck off the IPL and BBL and UAEBL and WIBL and The Hundred and every other form of ramp shot and they can all play more Test cricket.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:08 am

The Bedge wrote:

Hmm I thought it was well documented that issues - particularly around $$ with the WICB and WI Government was a large part of the decline in cricket, and was also a major factor in players defecting to T20 format in the early years and/or playing overseas.

It is but cricket was already well and truly on a decline.....that was just the nail in the coffin.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:08 am

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:
The other major change i see is the 'big nations' continuing to push for more test series against one another, the ICC have tried to counter this by creating the WTC which i love as a modernized concept forcing big nations to play smaller ones .

F*ck off the IPL and BBL and UAEBL and WIBL and The Hundred and every other form of ramp shot and they can all play more Test cricket.

100% but that isn't happening is it.
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:09 am

whufc wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

It is but cricket was already well and truly on a decline.....that was just the nail in the coffin.

So T20 killed Test cricket in the Windies?

Booney wrote:There's 1 very simply reason South Africa and the West Indies are no longer a Test match power house, their corrupt governance is chasing the flash T20 dollar and their long form cricket has suffered immeasurable pain, long term pain, because of it. It has nothing to do with needing to modernise the game. Nothing at all.

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:13 am

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:

Anyone on here tried to play the ramp shot?
I tried it a couple of times in the net whilst playing with my son and could barely hit the **** thing!

To play that shot against a bowler at 140kmh takes guts and skill.

Who invented that shot?
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2226 times
Been liked: 2519 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket