Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Insider_Trading » Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:36 pm

Armchair expert wrote:
Insider_Trading wrote:T20 GF.

And we aren't allowed to know the scores.

TTG 5/180 (20)
Weaver 0 (3)
Brazell 2 (5)
Worden 68 (50)
Case 50 (35)
Gatting 49 (19)
Davey 2* (1)
Somerfield 3* (3)
L. Robins 2/34
C. Thompson 2/24
D. King 1/46
T. Robins 0/10
M. Cranmer 0/28
R. King 0/8
M. Cormack 0/30

@Insider_Trading
@Insider_Trading

From SAca facebook page

Awesome. Thank you!
Insider_Trading
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 19 times

Postby caleb777 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:06 pm

The quality of the live stream with no live scoring for something that is meant to be the pinnacle of club cricket in this state is nothing short of embarassing. Murraylands live streaming for a local company are a million times better than the garbage we get. Its not just play hg, its the whole setup. Its just a joke.
caleb777
Under 16s

Has liked: 19 times

Postby Minimum Chips » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:22 am

caleb777 wrote:The quality of the live stream with no live scoring for something that is meant to be the pinnacle of club cricket in this state is nothing short of embarassing. Murraylands live streaming for a local company are a million times better than the garbage we get. Its not just play hg, its the whole setup. Its just a joke.

Absolutely. On Fox/Kayo they had the Sydney T20 comp final on. Here is SA we can't even get the scores on!!!
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Bute

Postby Minimum Chips » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:45 pm

Article on AdelaideNow this afternoon about Spencer Johnson. Harrity gives the SACA a good clip - and rightly so!

West Torrens superstar Spencer Johnson sets Big Bash League alight, gains national attention

A deadly homegrown fast bowler is making waves on the national stage after years of dominance at grade cricket level, but why has an opportunity taken so long?

A 27-year-old local SA cricket quick has exploded onto the national scene in the Big Bash League after barely scraping into the state squad’s second team.

Left-armed West Torrens speedster Spencer Johnson left fans and commentators, namely Australian legend Brett Lee, baffled after a scintillating start to his Brisbane Heat career last week.

In three innings for the Heat so far, Johnson has taken two wickets for a return of 91 runs, impressing onlookers nationwide with his smooth action and ability to bowl as fast as 150 km/h.

The local gun, who has played at West Torrens since 2012, gained the opportunity with Brisbane after being delisted by the Adelaide Strikers.

“I came up to Brisbane in September to play in a local grade T20 comp and caught the attention of the Heat,” Johnson said.

“Having guys like Brett Lee, who is a major idol of mine, praise me has been great but honestly I’m just glad to have the opportunity and to be playing at this level – it’s been a unique journey and a long time coming.”

Part of Johnson’s journey included a three-year recovery from a broken foot suffered in 2017, the start of his Redbacks career.

The rising star said the support of his local club and SACA had been integral to his return.

“I had to have a couple surgeries and it took a long time to fully heal but I’ve thankfully managed to string a strong couple seasons together on the other side of it,” Johnson said.

“Everyone in SA has been massive for me. Coach Mark Harrity at West Torrens has always stuck by me and so has SACA and all its support staff.

“I’m grateful for them all, it’s been a tough road but I’m glad to now have this chance.”

West Torrens coach Mark Harrity said he could not believe it took so long for Johnson to receive a major opportunity.

“It does amaze you when you see him on TV and people go “where has this guy come from?” because the talent has always been there,” Harrity said.

“He was the second leading wicket taker in second 11 Shield cricket last season and was then somehow the last picked for the Shield squad this year.

“If we look at our (SA’s) one-day cricket team, we’re winning wooden spoons for fun and here’s a left-armer who bowls over 140. I’m shocked he’s not up there with the best and getting a consistent go – it’s beyond belief.”

Harrity added that while he was thrilled to see Johnson flourish at the Heat, the fast bowler’s explosion onto the scene exposed a deeper issue in SA cricket.

“Spencer has proven local grade cricket is not the problem, there’s enough talent in SA but for some reason we don’t always pick best players,” he said.

“We’ve got other guys like Kelvin Smith who had an opportunity when he was younger but is probably at his best now and hasn’t had another chance – you shouldn’t have a line slashed through your name just because you’re 26.”

While Johnson was focused on winning Brisbane’s three remaining matches and making finals, he was still hopeful of playing first 11 shield cricket upon return to SA.

“Right now we want to win these last three games at the Heat but to play for my home state would be a dream come true as well.

Johnson’s next match will be played against Hobart on Friday night.
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Bute

Postby The Hound » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:52 pm

Some big games this week , especially teams in the 6-9 table positions, could it determine Div 2 for some of these teams?
Out of those sides, the Ocean Ponies seem to have the best run home.
Will sides look to manipulate outrights this early?
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby billy » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:12 pm

The Hound wrote:Some big games this week , especially teams in the 6-9 table positions, could it determine Div 2 for some of these teams?
Out of those sides, the Ocean Ponies seem to have the best run home.
Will sides look to manipulate outrights this early?

Agreed, the moment of truth for these sides, this round will define which teams will be certainties for division 2 and which teams will remain in the hunt, any extra points through an outright will be invaluable, however given they are effectively competing against each other for a spot not sure you will see much generosity in play.
billy

Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Andamooka

Postby Aerie » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:38 pm

Good article and glad Hags said it as it is. Johnson deserves an opportunity at Shield level. It is no coincidence the seasons Johnson missed through injury earlier in his career coincided with West Torrens dropping down the ladder.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Armchair expert » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:51 pm

We have to stick the SA quota system max 4 locals
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1415 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:17 pm

Aerie wrote:Good article and glad Hags said it as it is. Johnson deserves an opportunity at Shield level. It is no coincidence the seasons Johnson missed through injury earlier in his career coincided with West Torrens dropping down the ladder.

Sack Dizzy and gets Hags in as state coach.
He knows district cricket better than anyone and won lasts year title as coach.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:39 am

Good to see Northern Jets win the Under 18s comp
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Corona Man » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:26 pm

DOC wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Wayne Bradbrook I think

According to a member of the Browns: (Unconfirmed)

Bradbrook 9509
Zadow 9505
Brown 9503

Brown with a nice cut shot for 4, takes the record.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby DOC » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:06 pm

After 2 big appeals no less.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:29 am

SA will be happy they can recruit Johnson from interstate next season.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby billy » Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:07 am

gadj1976 wrote:SA will be happy they can recruit Johnson from interstate next season.

I think he will go to Queensland for three years with a red ball contract, so no they won't be getting him back unless there is a change in thinking from the people at the top.

If that's what people here are happy to support then so be it, my question to the whole organisation is what are your review processes and where is the documentation that shows you are answerable to your stakeholders , how have you responded to each part of the Hussey report?

That's cool, the proof is in outcomes. Live by the sword, die by the sword. If you can get up in the morning and look in the mirror, and say I have done the right thing by my people then we can all live with that.

The problem comes in when your assessments, are the result of outdated and antiquated thinking about young people and their development. When you don't do the work and don't listen to or even know about the research, and therefore there is no improvement in what you are doing.

Poor culture is when you are dishonest with players and their management. When you break trust you will not get it back, people work hard to be the best they can, whether they are from here or other states. Effective communication is everything.

A direct outcome of poor communication is when player management no longer sees SA as a destination because of your coaching and communication/management practices.

I personally would prefer that the head of selection, lives in the state and that every selector attends grade games every Saturday.

SACA have made their bed and are lying in it, after 41 seasons of failing to win a shield the general public are entitled to ask - what is wrong with your culture that this has become an annual event ?

Blaming grade cricket is more of the same, excuses and discounting at every turn. Yes you will get a stronger first grade, no rocket science there.
But how are you at SACA going to improve what you do with the players when you get them?
billy

Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Andamooka

Postby heater31 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:37 am

https://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/i ... 5ae5471383

Search and replace Cricket NSW with SACA and its the same story!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby DOC » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:39 pm

Kensi need about 50 more for the outright.

They may still play next season in Division 1.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Insider_Trading » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:19 pm

Quite a few players reported in recent weeks.

Ryan King given a few games for calling an umpire a cheat and threatening to de register him as an umpire on t20 final day apparently

A few reports from the weekend just completed too.

...I love bad behaviour stories
Insider_Trading
Rookie

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:36 pm

heater31 wrote:https://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/its-a-disgrace-cricket-nsw-slammed-over-pathwaysfirst-selection-policy/news-story/a8167afcfe6357f34dcb8b5ae5471383

Search and replace Cricket NSW with SACA and its the same story!

Except we pick interstaters
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby The Hound » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:12 am

Insider_Trading wrote:Quite a few players reported in recent weeks.

Ryan King given a few games for calling an umpire a cheat and threatening to de register him as an umpire on t20 final day apparently

A few reports from the weekend just completed too.

...I love bad behaviour stories

Is the pressure of trying to stay in the top 8 contributing?

Maybe get those suspended to umpire in the 4th Grade, during there suspended games period, would certainly assist in improving behaviour.
King would be the second captain this year that I know of who has been suspended.
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby Aerie » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:53 pm

The Ladder and Run Home - Round 8

Kensington 140 (Pros / WT / Wood / Uni / ET)
West Torrens 120 (ND / Kens / Ad / TTG / SD)
University 100 (Port / St / SD / Kens / ND)
Port 100 (Uni / Ad / ND / St / Bye)

Sturt 80 (ET / Uni / Glen / Port / Wood)
TTG 70 (Bye / Glen / ET / WT / Pros)
Glenelg 70 (SD / TTG / St / Pros / Ad)
Prospect 55 (Kens / Wood / Bye / Glen / TTG)

Woodville 50 (Ad / Pros / Kens / ET / St)
East Torrens 45 (St / Bye / TTG / Wood / Kens)
Northern Districts 30 (WT / SD / PA / Ad / Uni)
Southern District 30 (Glen / ND / Uni / Bye / WT)
Adelaide 10 (Wood / Port / WT / ND / Glen)

Last year Northerns finished 9th on 100 points. The two years before that Adelaide and Sturt finished 9th on 95 points. Prior to that Woodville, West Torrens and East Torrens finished 8th, 9th and 10th on 95 points.

So it's looking likely you'll want to get over 100 points to be sure to qualify for Division 1 next season.

Usually you'd be thinking season over for the bottom 6 teams in terms of making finals - but plenty on the line, which makes every game interesting and every point valuable. Match of the round this week - Uni vs Port.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps