ASCA

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: ASCA

Postby storyoftheyear » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:45 pm

Im not at fan of going from 14 innings a season down to 8.
storyoftheyear
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times

Postby The Old Fellow » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:30 pm

V0ice0fthev0iceless wrote:There have recently been some rumblings of amendments to the playing season based on clubs player availability and aging demographics. Additional to this, there were suggestions of weeks off throughout the season for things like the Adelaide test match. I think since the pandemic, more people are inclined to want to miss weekends of cricket for events like this, and I think it's possible to add that weekend off to our schedule.

This competition remains unique from a hard wicket perspective, with most other associations opting to become primarily one day cricket comps. I feel that we should lean in to what we do, and embrace two day cricket, rather than shifting to one day cricket. Therefore, I am suggesting that each team plays eachother once throughout the season in a two day game, with no one day games in between (unless there is a heat/rain effected first day where this would then become the only option). This adds higher stakes to each result and will mean the ladder at the end of a season will be tighter than they've ever been. With this in mind, I feel the association should allow cross section slash players, meaning a player could play week 1 in section 3, and week 2 in section 1, or vice versa.

Further changes to the schedule would include a weekend long T20 carnival in December to get clubs playing 2-3 of their T20 round robin games in a single weekend. This is at the same time as the T20 Big Bash League and around school holiday time. This will also mean less need to source grounds mid week and will allow some clubs who may not have the facilities available on week night to then join the competition.

I would also recommend the association approach the Fleurieu & Districts Cricket board and request inclusion in the Meyer Shield association competition. Either this, or approaching ATCA and re-establishing a yearly Association match. This can be factored in to future fixturing.

Regular season finals structure should take a similar approach to how the BBL function, with the below structure:

Beginning with the Eliminator, the sides that finish fourth and fifth will clash in a 'win or go home' match, with the loser eliminated and the winner proceeding to the Knockout.

The Knockout will see the third-placed side clash with the winner of the Eliminator, with the loser of the Knockout eliminated from the running and the winner progressing.

Prior to the Knockout, the Qualifier between the top two sides will take place, with the winner moving straight into the Final.

The loser of the Qualifier will then face the winner of the Knockout in the second last final of the series, the Challenger.

The Challenger will then decide which club will join the winner of the Qualifier in the Final, with the victor moving on to the deciding match while the loser will be eliminated.

The Final will be hosted by the side that won the Qualifier, with all other finals to be hosted by the highest-seeded side.

Below is how the regular season would look:

Round 1
14 & 21 October

Round 2
28 October & 4 November

Round 3
11 & 18 November

Round 4
25 November & 2 December

OFF
9 December (Test Match Weekend)

ASCA T20 SMASH
16 & 17 December

Round 5
6 January & 13 January

OFF
20 January (Meyer Shield/Association Weekend)

Round 6
27 January & 3 February

Round 7
10 February & 17 February

Round 8
24 February & 2 March

Finals Week 1
9 March & 10 March

Finals Week 2
16 March & 17 March

Finals Week 3
23 March & 24 March

Keen to hear some thoughts.

For older players it is easier to play one day cricket than 2 day cricket. The toll on the body is from fielding and bowling for a complete day while with one day cricket you only need to do it for half a day - a lot easier on the body.

More and more players are starting to favour one day cricket. The assocation needs to take this into account. Keep in mind its the player who play, not the administrators. Have you got a crystal ball to know how the premiership table will look at the end of the season. The table will look like it does depending on how the teams perform during the season.

Players play in one game at a time, not week one in one section and then the second half in another game. If they start to do this it will make many more things difficult such as finals selection. Having players play two half matches you are hoping that they influence the result of the lower section match. Is that fair to all and within the spirit of the game?

You say play everyone once in a two day game, but you have 8 minor rounds. How many teams are going to be in each section?

Your proposal has round 4 finishing on the 2 Dec and if a player isn't playing in the T20's their next game is 6 January and then have another week off before starting the next game on a long week end. That is potentially 1 game in 7 weeks.

Keep the 7 and 7 format . It is a good mix for all. Remember that it was all two day cricket a number of seasons ago. Why was it changed? you want to go back to the past. I believe your idea is good for people who only want to play cricket when they have nothing better to do. Is that what the association wants? I don't think so.
The Old Fellow
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

Postby Keefy » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:02 pm

The Old Fellow wrote:
V0ice0fthev0iceless wrote:There have recently been some rumblings of amendments to the playing season based on clubs player availability and aging demographics. Additional to this, there were suggestions of weeks off throughout the season for things like the Adelaide test match. I think since the pandemic, more people are inclined to want to miss weekends of cricket for events like this, and I think it's possible to add that weekend off to our schedule.

This competition remains unique from a hard wicket perspective, with most other associations opting to become primarily one day cricket comps. I feel that we should lean in to what we do, and embrace two day cricket, rather than shifting to one day cricket. Therefore, I am suggesting that each team plays eachother once throughout the season in a two day game, with no one day games in between (unless there is a heat/rain effected first day where this would then become the only option). This adds higher stakes to each result and will mean the ladder at the end of a season will be tighter than they've ever been. With this in mind, I feel the association should allow cross section slash players, meaning a player could play week 1 in section 3, and week 2 in section 1, or vice versa.

Further changes to the schedule would include a weekend long T20 carnival in December to get clubs playing 2-3 of their T20 round robin games in a single weekend. This is at the same time as the T20 Big Bash League and around school holiday time. This will also mean less need to source grounds mid week and will allow some clubs who may not have the facilities available on week night to then join the competition.

I would also recommend the association approach the Fleurieu & Districts Cricket board and request inclusion in the Meyer Shield association competition. Either this, or approaching ATCA and re-establishing a yearly Association match. This can be factored in to future fixturing.

Regular season finals structure should take a similar approach to how the BBL function, with the below structure:

Beginning with the Eliminator, the sides that finish fourth and fifth will clash in a 'win or go home' match, with the loser eliminated and the winner proceeding to the Knockout.

The Knockout will see the third-placed side clash with the winner of the Eliminator, with the loser of the Knockout eliminated from the running and the winner progressing.

Prior to the Knockout, the Qualifier between the top two sides will take place, with the winner moving straight into the Final.

The loser of the Qualifier will then face the winner of the Knockout in the second last final of the series, the Challenger.

The Challenger will then decide which club will join the winner of the Qualifier in the Final, with the victor moving on to the deciding match while the loser will be eliminated.

The Final will be hosted by the side that won the Qualifier, with all other finals to be hosted by the highest-seeded side.

Below is how the regular season would look:

Round 1
14 & 21 October

Round 2
28 October & 4 November

Round 3
11 & 18 November

Round 4
25 November & 2 December

OFF
9 December (Test Match Weekend)

ASCA T20 SMASH
16 & 17 December

Round 5
6 January & 13 January

OFF
20 January (Meyer Shield/Association Weekend)

Round 6
27 January & 3 February

Round 7
10 February & 17 February

Round 8
24 February & 2 March

Finals Week 1
9 March & 10 March

Finals Week 2
16 March & 17 March

Finals Week 3
23 March & 24 March

Keen to hear some thoughts.

For older players it is easier to play one day cricket than 2 day cricket. The toll on the body is from fielding and bowling for a complete day while with one day cricket you only need to do it for half a day - a lot easier on the body.

More and more players are starting to favour one day cricket. The assocation needs to take this into account. Keep in mind its the player who play, not the administrators. Have you got a crystal ball to know how the premiership table will look at the end of the season. The table will look like it does depending on how the teams perform during the season.

Players play in one game at a time, not week one in one section and then the second half in another game. If they start to do this it will make many more things difficult such as finals selection. Having players play two half matches you are hoping that they influence the result of the lower section match. Is that fair to all and within the spirit of the game?

You say play everyone once in a two day game, but you have 8 minor rounds. How many teams are going to be in each section?

Your proposal has round 4 finishing on the 2 Dec and if a player isn't playing in the T20's their next game is 6 January and then have another week off before starting the next game on a long week end. That is potentially 1 game in 7 weeks.

Keep the 7 and 7 format . It is a good mix for all. Remember that it was all two day cricket a number of seasons ago. Why was it changed? you want to go back to the past. I believe your idea is good for people who only want to play cricket when they have nothing better to do. Is that what the association wants? I don't think so.
Leave the format alone.

Need to sort out the clubs who nominate ex number of teams at the beginning of the season, then to only start forfeiting games and eventually pull a team out.

Sections 9 and 10 are totally disjointed.

Some of those rumblings have probably come from a club who wanted the weekend where it was 38 degrees cancelled becaise the team is full of over 50's.

How about they get proactive and attract juniors to the club. Clubs with no junior programs will eventually fold.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 181 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby The Bedge » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:36 am

Have you ever seen a bigger tantrum when someone got out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfV9cabTQbk&t=10356s

2:52:00 :lol:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:58 am

The Bedge wrote:Have you ever seen a bigger tantrum when someone got out?

Lads, please.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10753 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:14 pm

:lol: :lol:

He was lucky to not be out on his last two deliveries and there was never a two there.

How funny was it when he was trying to get the errant pad off? :lol: :lol:

WTF is it with the shorts? Uncle Buck is fully kitted out and looking the part and yet there are blokes wearing shorts.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby whufc » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:16 pm

I wasnt sure what was worse, the tantrum or the amount of shorts getting around.

Also loved the batsmen counting the amount of fielders, looking around to see where the fielders were on two occasions to go and play the big cow corner slap on two occasions anyway. :lol: :lol:
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:38 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

2:52:00 [emoji38]

[emoji38] [emoji38]

He was lucky to not be out on his last two deliveries and there was never a two there.

How funny was it when he was trying to get the errant pad off? [emoji38] [emoji38]

WTF is it with the shorts? Uncle Buck is fully kitted out and looking the part and yet there are blokes wearing shorts.

That bloke always plays in footy shorts (usually white but green on this occasion to match up with MP's T20 Kit) and doesn't wear batting gloves either.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10292 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby The Bedge » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:13 pm

On the upside, pitch looks nice and the body shapes of the players makes me believe i'd be right at home at that level. 8)
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Armchair expert » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:08 pm

The swapping of bats is quintessential amatuer cricket
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1413 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Dutchy » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:32 pm

thats fantastic, my lad has a good mate who plays for MP, apparently the keeper and batsmen both got 3 weeks
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:17 am

At the Western Youth Centre Cricket Clubs 61st (60+1 - Covid) anniversary dinner on Saturday night the club inducted 15 Life Members, of which I was lucky enough to be one and 10 people were inducted into the Hall of Fame, a new initiative from the committee and one I fully support.

We have a "Legends Club" for 100 gamers ( I think it should be the 100 club, but that's for another day ), we have Life Membership, there should be a higher honor for the truly elite contributions on and off field and the Hall of Fame is a deserved recognition for those who are worthy of it.

I'll post the full name of inductees a bit later but I can say it was an exceptional night with lots of the old dogs, some of us in the middle and the current crop well represented. Great night had by all.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:15 am

Booney wrote:At the Western Youth Centre Cricket Clubs 61st (60+1 - Covid) anniversary dinner on Saturday night the club inducted 15 Life Members, of which I was lucky enough to be one and 10 people were inducted into the Hall of Fame, a new initiative from the committee and one I fully support.

We have a "Legends Club" for 100 gamers ( I think it should be the 100 club, but that's for another day ), we have Life Membership, there should be a higher honor for the truly elite contributions on and off field and the Hall of Fame is a deserved recognition for those who are worthy of it.

I'll post the full name of inductees a bit later but I can say it was an exceptional night with lots of the old dogs, some of us in the middle and the current crop well represented. Great night had by all.

Great to see clubs doing these things well

Volunteers have their hands full just keeping the weekly stuff rolling and these events are a lot of extra work on top. As a result often anniversaries slip by unrecognised. Credit to WYC's volunteers here for the initiative firstly and for seeing it through.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 243 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Moe » Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:09 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:
Booney wrote:At the Western Youth Centre Cricket Clubs 61st (60+1 - Covid) anniversary dinner on Saturday night the club inducted 15 Life Members, of which I was lucky enough to be one and 10 people were inducted into the Hall of Fame, a new initiative from the committee and one I fully support.

Great to see clubs doing these things well

Volunteers have their hands full just keeping the weekly stuff rolling and these events are a lot of extra work on top. As a result often anniversaries slip by unrecognised. Credit to WYC's volunteers here for the initiative firstly and for seeing it through.

Morphettville Park held their centenary dinner in April this year, hosted by Tom Rehn, who did a fantastic job.
Nearly 150 current and former players attended the night at Glenelg golf club.

We named a team of the century and inducted our first 2 members into our Hall of Fame
It was a terrific night and players from as far back as the 1940s were represented by family members too.
Moe
League - Best 21

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 91 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:34 am

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Moe » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:48 am

Pretty crap way to end a season.

Obviously the section 6 teams decided that a gf should be decided by action rather than rain.
They were playing in the rain, and til quite late, but got a game in.
Moe
League - Best 21

Postby whitepointers » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:34 pm

Section 5 played out a result too.
Agree though it was a crap way to end a season
whitepointers
Rookie

Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Port Noarlunga

Postby V0ice0fthev0iceless » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:40 am

Pretty quiet on the ASCA front it seems. What are folks hearing? Are we seeing many clubs bolster stocks? Any smokies for the upcoming season?

Read across some other forums that Fitzroy are headed to PDCA and that Enfield were pitching a move to ASCA?

Talk is that a club has put in a request to change the section 10 competition to exclusively one day cricket. I don't think we should be looking to alter the integrity of a section. If short form is the preference, there are 3 T20 divisions ready to be filled.

I've pitched a suggested change to the schedule in the past and it does seem that it will continue to be a point of conjecture. Anyone have any ideas?
V0ice0fthev0iceless
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Keefy » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:56 am

V0ice0fthev0iceless wrote:Pretty quiet on the ASCA front it seems. What are folks hearing? Are we seeing many clubs bolster stocks? Any smokies for the upcoming season?

Read across some other forums that Fitzroy are headed to PDCA and that Enfield were pitching a move to ASCA?

Talk is that a club has put in a request to change the section 10 competition to exclusively one day cricket. I don't think we should be looking to alter the integrity of a section. If short form is the preference, there are 3 T20 divisions ready to be filled.

I've pitched a suggested change to the schedule in the past and it does seem that it will continue to be a point of conjecture. Anyone have any ideas?
Yup Fitzroy officially gone to PDCA.

Apparently it is Flagstaff Hill pushing for one day games in Section 10.

Proposed to have big fines in place if a club nominates a team and then pulls out partway in to the season

Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 181 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Moe » Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:27 pm

Keefy wrote:
V0ice0fthev0iceless wrote:Pretty quiet on the ASCA front it seems. What are folks hearing? Are we seeing many clubs bolster stocks? Any smokies for the upcoming season?

Yup Fitzroy officially gone to PDCA.

Apparently it is Flagstaff Hill pushing for one day games in Section 10.

Proposed to have big fines in place if a club nominates a team and then pulls out partway in to the season

I'm a section 10 player, and I'm against changing the format.
Flagstaff Hill can go and get stuffed
Moe
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps