Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:12 pm

The Ash Man wrote:
JK wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Was a sad time when the Colac went tits up.

As a young lad I used to knock off early on Friday's and head straight there, used to end up at the British after that, it may have been because there was a common link between the two.

Colac's coming back I keep hearing? (I'd imagine not with the same activities in this day and age)

Going to be a "family friendly" pub and 4 storey apartment building.

Was supposed to be finished nearly 2 years ago

They haven't sold half of the apartments, it's slow because I reckon they've run out of money.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby DOC » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:27 pm

Booney wrote:
JK wrote:
Booney wrote:
DOC wrote:Sad to hear the Port Admiral has gone into liquidation. Never heard a bad report and seemed to be doing a good trade.

They had a core of regulars, but they aren't the ones who spend up big.

They also sat in between, not physically but for choice, places like Pirate Life and Big Shed if you're after beers first and a burger perhaps or The Lighthouse, Miss Viet etc if you wanted a nice meal with a drink to go with it.

Disappointing for those who spent so much time and money bringing that beautiful old pub back to life, I hope someone chimes in and buys it.

My money is on Pirate Life getting involved somehow.

Had my first visit to Pirate Life on the weekend, only had a cider as I was a) recovering and b) driving. Drink was great and food was even better, excellent setup they have there. Have you tried the Woodshed yet Boon?

And yes, shame about the Admiral, tough strip for competition along there with the Lighthouse, 1st Commercial, Korked and several restaurants. Are the Railway and Dock still going?

Yes mate, great spot, very much aimed at metal heads....so yeah I like it. :D

Railway - Closed

Dock - Covered in webs

I assume the Britannia and the Royal Arms are closed as well?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:48 pm

Booney wrote:
The Ash Man wrote:
JK wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Was a sad time when the Colac went tits up.

As a young lad I used to knock off early on Friday's and head straight there, used to end up at the British after that, it may have been because there was a common link between the two.

Colac's coming back I keep hearing? (I'd imagine not with the same activities in this day and age)

Going to be a "family friendly" pub and 4 storey apartment building.

Was supposed to be finished nearly 2 years ago

They haven't sold half of the apartments, it's slow because I reckon they've run out of money.
The Globe is a similar story. The funds are low. In 3 years the only noticeable difference is a bit of structural steel gone up out the back
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Pag » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:00 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Stayed at the Sofitel again Saturday so ate at their restaurant Garçon Bleu.
Have had dinner here a few times now and always pretty good. Both had Steak and cooked to perfection. Real nice bit of meat with generous serve of fries which were superb and some rabbit food.
Had a beautiful peppercorn gravy and all up a top dinner. Was too full for desert after pigging out out the club lounge on free food and grog for 2hrs. The hotels sommelier was very knowledgeable and we grabbed a great bottle of French Pinot Grigio. Accor plus membership automatically knocks 50% off the food bill which is a bonus

Dumb question but I'll chuck it out there.

What's everyone's go to for gravy? I vary from time to time but generally I'll roll with the peppercorn, I always stock the maggi rich at home so it's not such a luxury anymore, it is the best gravy IMO.

Got a bucket of Maggi Rich at home as well. The best.

If I'm out it's a creamy mushroom sauce. Like Jimmy said, my pet peeve is a joint that chops some mushrooms and throws them in normal gravy.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:05 pm

Pag wrote:Got a bucket of Maggi Rich at home as well. The best.

If I'm out it's a creamy mushroom sauce. Like Jimmy said, my pet peeve is a joint that chops some mushrooms and throws them in normal gravy.

Used to only be able to get it at Mitani's. Nothing else compares.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:25 am

Meat and Wine Co - Currie St, Adelaide.

Upon arrival the steep stairs from the busy city street hides the opulence within, however as you enter the heritage listed Elder House you realize this isn't going to be your average dining experience. Greeted at reception by smartly dressed staff operating on state of the art systems you immediately get the feeling you're in a quality establishment.

Seated in comfortable wrap around leather chairs your waiter promptly offers water and leaves you to settle.

Our adult children gave us the Ultimate Steakhouse Experience voucher for Xmas and the menu delivered was as follows :

To Start:

Garlic Bread (V) - Buttermilk buns, garlic butter, Parmesan and garlic crisps
Entree to Share:
Szechuan calamari - Excellent crispy batter, peppery dipping sauce. 10/10
Boerewors - South African beef sausages, chunky, bold, big flavors. 10/10

To Follow, you have the choice of :
Fillet 200g - MONTE GRAIN FED 120 DAYS. Mrs Boon went with this and salad. Salad had a perfectly balanced dressing, steak was perfect medium and the peppercorn sauce an explosion of peppery goodness.
Pork Ribs - Full Rack. Feed. Me. Meat. My word! The 1kg full rack, 12 hour slow cooked in sticky BBQ sauce ( bowl of lemon water provided for the hands and a bowl for the bones on the side ) fell to pieces. It took some doing, but I'm the man for the job. 10/10.

Bottle of house wine was an Eden Valley Sav Blanc, I'm no wine drinker but pairing it with the calamari entre made for a very pleasurable experience indeed.

Dessert:
Crème Brûlée - As good as it gets, the top cracked to pieces, the base firm but soft and delicious.
Chocolate & Hazelnut Fondant - Well, well, well. Arrived looking like a chocolate muffin with some coffee ice cream, once you took to it though the fondant flowed from within and was the perfect rich end to an excellent meal.

Food - 10/10
Service - 10/10

Highly, highly recommend for a special occasion.

https://www.redballoon.com.au/product/u ... 001-M.html
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MatteeG » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:43 am

Looks fantastic Boon. May give it a crack* for Mrs G's birthday.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:51 am

=P~
Attachments
Ribs.jpg
Ribs.jpg (74.29 KiB) Viewed 2045 times
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby am Bays » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:13 am

Booney wrote:=P~

well done Boon, taking one for the team by doing the market research on this fine "vegan's nightmare" establishment

Added to the list of places to try
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby whufc » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:58 am

am Bays wrote:
Booney wrote:=P~

well done Boon, taking one for the team by doing the market research on this fine "vegan's nightmare" establishment

Added to the list of places to try

Would be a great name for a restaurant.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Pag » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:09 pm

Booney wrote:Meat and Wine Co - Currie St, Adelaide.

Upon arrival the steep stairs from the busy city street hides the opulence within, however as you enter the heritage listed Elder House you realize this isn't going to be your average dining experience. Greeted at reception by smartly dressed staff operating on state of the art systems you immediately get the feeling you're in a quality establishment.

Seated in comfortable wrap around leather chairs your waiter promptly offers water and leaves you to settle.

Our adult children gave us the Ultimate Steakhouse Experience voucher for Xmas and the menu delivered was as follows :

To Start:

Entree to Share:

Fillet 200g - MONTE GRAIN FED 120 DAYS. Mrs Boon went with this and salad. Salad had a perfectly balanced dressing, steak was perfect medium and the peppercorn sauce an explosion of peppery goodness.
Pork Ribs - Full Rack. Feed. Me. Meat. My word! The 1kg full rack, 12 hour slow cooked in sticky BBQ sauce ( bowl of lemon water provided for the hands and a bowl for the bones on the side ) fell to pieces. It took some doing, but I'm the man for the job. 10/10.

Bottle of house wine was an Eden Valley Sav Blanc, I'm no wine drinker but pairing it with the calamari entre made for a very pleasurable experience indeed.

Dessert:
Crème Brûlée - As good as it gets, the top cracked to pieces, the base firm but soft and delicious.
Chocolate & Hazelnut Fondant - Well, well, well. Arrived looking like a chocolate muffin with some coffee ice cream, once you took to it though the fondant flowed from within and was the perfect rich end to an excellent meal.

Food - 10/10
Service - 10/10

The meat is amazing, but the garlic bread and creme brulee at this joint :heart: :heart: :heart:
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:18 pm

Pag wrote:

To Start:

Entree to Share:

Dessert:

Food - 10/10
Service - 10/10

The meat is amazing, but the garlic bread and creme brulee at this joint :heart: :heart: :heart:
Highly rate this establishment, it’s a cracking joint
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Wedgie » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:49 am

Good timing on the review Booney, a friend just sent us the cheaper 3 course dinner + wine for 2 voucher and normally I'd just throw these things away but sounds like it's worth using!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:51 am

Wedgie wrote:Good timing on the review Booney, a friend just sent us the cheaper 3 course dinner + wine for 2 voucher and normally I'd just throw these things away but sounds like it's worth using!

100% it is.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:57 am

Booney wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Good timing on the review Booney, a friend just sent us the cheaper 3 course dinner + wine for 2 voucher and normally I'd just throw these things away but sounds like it's worth using!

100% it is.

I'm not a foody like you guys and are normally content with a front bar schnitzel.
Do you have to dress up?
Besides office clothes or jeans, shirts and sports tops my wardrobe is a bit skint these days since I've put on even more weight! :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:09 am

Wedgie wrote:
Booney wrote:

100% it is.

I'm not a foody like you guys and are normally content with a front bar schnitzel.
Do you have to dress up?
Besides office clothes or jeans, shirts and sports tops my wardrobe is a bit skint these days since I've put on even more weight! :lol:

I went in nice shorts and a golf polo Monday night with my Adidas street shoes.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:43 am

Booney wrote:
I went in nice shorts and a golf polo Monday night with my Adidas street shoes.

Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:47 am

What is this voucher thing you talk of?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:48 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

What is this voucher thing you talk of?

https://www.redballoon.com.au/product/3 ... 20Adelaide
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:53 am

To Start:

Entree to Share:

Dessert:

Food - 10/10
Service - 10/10

I went there for a Christmas show a couple of years ago as a plus 1, food was amazing, a bit on the pricey side but the quality made it worth it.

Pity the night didn't match the food, I did a ghosty and copped a barrage of abuse from two different women, one I bailed on and one that I told that I bailed, apparently I shouldn't have been out.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion