Australian tour of India 2023

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian tour of India 2023

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:59 pm

FINALLY, a game of test cricket that we're not $1.01 to win. I love test cricket and love the fact that we're being 'tested'. That's test cricket! These two past series against WI and SAF haven't been true test cricket in my eyes.

As an aside, the selection baffles me but I'm really keen to watch this series play out. Bring on Test Cricket!!!!
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby batmanbegins » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:01 am

This pitch was completely fine, probably easier to bat on then the pitches they faced in sri lanka just the indian spinners are elite. Australia bought into the all the bull crap and panicked with selections etc. India's batting has been fragile without pant lately so you never know but hard to see the Aussies getting back into this.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby Brodlach » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:10 am

Brodlach wrote:I’m more excited today than I was Christmas morning

Yesterday felt like Christmas Day when you are expecting a bike as a present and all you get is a pair of jocks
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Aerie » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:15 am

Dutchy wrote:
Aerie wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Just turned it on, I though India doctored the pitch to be tough for lefties? Looks fine to me?

There's two right handers on strike...

The areas where the ball would land for left handers have been prepared differently to where the ball lands for right handers. How much difference that makes and when it makes a difference remains to be seen. But no doubt what India have tried to do.

It has spooked Australia to drop Head in favour of Handscomb. I don't mind the selection of Handscomb, but Head should've retained his place and the decision of who opens with Khawaja, Warner or Renshaw, should've been the decision.

Wouldn't the pitch look and act different if there was "no doubt what India have tried to do" ?

Handscomb was always playing, it was Renshaw over Head - both lefties

As it dries out you'd expect it to act different. I would agree it didn't make a difference on day 1. If Handscomb was always going to play, they would've picked him in Sydney instead of Renshaw.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 505 times

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:40 am

did anyone else see the footage of Jadeja taking something off another players wrist and putting it on his finger?
Apparently India were questioned about it, just pain relief cream lol. I dont know why another player would need to store it on his wrist, why wouldnt you have the tube of it in your pocket or one of the million 12th men run it on when you need it, definitely seems suss.
How much would grippo help a spinner? Ive bowled slow for a long time but never been accused of spinning it so not sure if it would help or not.
anyway move on, 12 months for Jadeja, Sharma and whoever the 3rd one was, seems fair

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/au ... PuJzncMJIk
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:46 am

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:51 am

the signs arent good for Lyon, thought Murphy looks alot more dangerous.
where do the selectors go for the next Test if as expected we lack real penetration and variety, Murphy gets 6fa and Lyon gets 1/200

Really enjoyed Hayden getting stuck into Cummins. Alot of things have become a bit too hard for Pat lately, batting is certainly one of them, didnt want to be out there during the aussie summer when they gave him a few at the grill, looks like bowling in India is now too hard as well. bowled absolute pies and set the scene for the Test series in the opening over. Relieving him of the captaincy cant come quick enough
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Minimum Chips » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:07 am

daysofourlives wrote:the signs arent good for Lyon, thought Murphy looks alot more dangerous.
where do the selectors go for the next Test if as expected we lack real penetration and variety, Murphy gets 6fa and Lyon gets 1/200

Really enjoyed Hayden getting stuck into Cummins. Alot of things have become a bit too hard for Pat lately, batting is certainly one of them, didnt want to be out there during the aussie summer when they gave him a few at the grill, looks like bowling in India is now too hard as well. bowled absolute pies and set the scene for the Test series in the opening over. Relieving him of the captaincy cant come quick enough

Poor old Captain Woke - probably too busy thinking about who the sponsors should be and their carbon footprint - all the while being very happy to sit up the pointy end of the plane!!
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Bute

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:15 am

Brodlach wrote:
Brodlach wrote:I’m more excited today than I was Christmas morning

Yesterday felt like Christmas Day when you are expecting a bike as a present and all you get is a pair of jocks

second hand ones at that.

I'm not saddened, I'm glad that CA have the chance to open their eyes and not gift players baggy greens when they should be the most prestigious momento in Australian sport, we reek of arrogance, we are flat track bullies and it's going to be a long exhausting few months.

Credit where credit is due though, congratulations to Murphy on his first test wicket, he now has more test wickets than runs scored, a bit of Chris Martin about him.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:16 am

The Indian spinners did it now let’s see how good Lyon really is.

The day is set up for him to take a 5fa and show the new young lad how it’s done.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2227 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:22 am

mal wrote:Australian selectors norMALly get it right overall
Not this test

2 off break bowlers- and no Ashton Agar= unbalanced attack[ even worse without Mitchell STARc scuffing up the pitch for the offies]
Although Todd Murphy has done ok in his first test so far

The selections of David Warner, Matt Renshaw and Pete Handscombe in front of Travis Head is a shocker
The selection logic appears to be Trav cant play spin
For sure he is better v pace than spin
However the other 3 have all failed in India
The Trav is in the form of his life, HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN PICKED for at least 2 tests

In India
Warner 389 runs 22.88 average
Renshaw 232 runs 25.77 average
Handscombe 229 runs 28.62 average

If you replaced Head with proven players of spin in India, guys that maybe avergae 35 to 45, I would understand
The above 3 collectively in India have had 35 innings for 850 runs

The only logic I think of not picking Travis Head, is the selectors wont play him and ruin his confidence, in case he fails disMALly v spin
That seems the only logical reason

I can understand Handscomb's inclusion given the hype about the pitch, I didn't see a need for Murphy to get a gig though, not when we have Head, Renshaw, Smith and Marnus who aren't cheaper versions of Lyon.

I think it was a given that we were going to win or lose it with the bat, we should've strengthened our batting depth, India play for a draw initially and then try turning it into a win, we need to bat as long as we can against them.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:30 am

Spargo wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Have they changed pitches in between innings? I don’t know, I’m not watching, I’m having a couple of quiet drinks celebrating my late fathers birthday while listening to tracks like True Blue, some Johnny Cash, Willie, Waylon and an Edith Piaf classic

Willie’s version of “You were always on my mind” is better than Elvis’.

Played on a crackly vinyl and there wouldn't be a dry eye anywhere.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:32 am

Minimum Chips wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:the signs arent good for Lyon, thought Murphy looks alot more dangerous.

Poor old Captain Woke - probably too busy thinking about who the sponsors should be and their carbon footprint - all the while being very happy to sit up the pointy end of the plane!!

Ok boomer.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:33 am

Booney wrote:
Minimum Chips wrote:

Ok boomer.

Hey, I got called that yesterday.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:40 am

Did you use woke to describe something you don't agree with?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby David Brent » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:41 am

We've turned pretty quickly on our boys after one bad day of test cricket in conditions that not many of us expected them to do well in.

Realistically what is a career average we would take from an Aus batter in Asian conditions? Anything over 30 be considered okay & worthy of a spot in a test line up?
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:45 am

Booney wrote:Did you use woke to describe something you don't agree with?

No, but I woke this morning 45 minutes after I usually arrive at work, I then cooked some bacon, eggs and a hash brown.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:46 am

I haven’t turned, really disappointed Head missed out and the poor shot selection from players. Tougher pitch, which they knew, yet most didn’t dig in.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:50 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:Did you use woke to describe something you don't agree with?

No, but I woke this morning 45 minutes after I usually arrive at work, I then cooked some bacon, eggs and a hash brown.

That’s the Gen Z spirit!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2227 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:52 am

Brodlach wrote:I haven’t turned, really disappointed Head missed out and the poor shot selection from players. Tougher pitch, which they knew, yet most didn’t dig in.

Pretty much my take, I predicted 0-3, we've had an easy summer and were treated like rockstars, now we have to actually work hard for runs and success on what is the 2nd and 3rd toughest road trips in world cricket.

India beat us over here with a 2nd string line up, we were always going to be up against it over there.

Marnus and Smith will have to do a lot of heavy lifting if we are to win any matches at all.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket