Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:56 am

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Good timing on the review Booney, a friend just sent us the cheaper 3 course dinner + wine for 2 voucher and normally I'd just throw these things away but sounds like it's worth using!

What is this voucher thing you talk of?

https://www.redballoon.com.au/product/3 ... 20Adelaide

Good ole 99!!

I wonder if anyone actually opts for the cauliflower?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:30 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Good timing on the review Booney, a friend just sent us the cheaper 3 course dinner + wine for 2 voucher and normally I'd just throw these things away but sounds like it's worth using!

Good ole 99!!

No chance in hell with the wife and I! I love chicken but I'll definitely be opting for the steak at this place.
8)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:44 am

Wedgie wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Good ole 99!!

No chance in hell with the wife and I! I love chicken but I'll definitely be opting for the steak at this place.
8)

I bought a chicken parmi at the St Kilda Hotel not long ago, it wasn't much cheaper than a steak, I hated myself from the minute I paid for it until about 3 days later.

Yeah it was huge but it was chicken, $10 a kilo in the shop vs $30 a kilo. I love chicken too but hate buying when dining out, generally over-priced.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:10 am

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

That looks like a pretty good deal
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby The Ash Man » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:13 am

Booney wrote:Meat and Wine Co - Currie St, Adelaide.

Upon arrival the steep stairs from the busy city street hides the opulence within, however as you enter the heritage listed Elder House you realize this isn't going to be your average dining experience. Greeted at reception by smartly dressed staff operating on state of the art systems you immediately get the feeling you're in a quality establishment.

Seated in comfortable wrap around leather chairs your waiter promptly offers water and leaves you to settle.

Our adult children gave us the Ultimate Steakhouse Experience voucher for Xmas and the menu delivered was as follows :

To Start:

Garlic Bread (V) - Buttermilk buns, garlic butter, Parmesan and garlic crisps
Entree to Share:
Szechuan calamari - Excellent crispy batter, peppery dipping sauce. 10/10
Boerewors - South African beef sausages, chunky, bold, big flavors. 10/10

To Follow, you have the choice of :
Fillet 200g - MONTE GRAIN FED 120 DAYS. Mrs Boon went with this and salad. Salad had a perfectly balanced dressing, steak was perfect medium and the peppercorn sauce an explosion of peppery goodness.
Pork Ribs - Full Rack. Feed. Me. Meat. My word! The 1kg full rack, 12 hour slow cooked in sticky BBQ sauce ( bowl of lemon water provided for the hands and a bowl for the bones on the side ) fell to pieces. It took some doing, but I'm the man for the job. 10/10.

Bottle of house wine was an Eden Valley Sav Blanc, I'm no wine drinker but pairing it with the calamari entre made for a very pleasurable experience indeed.

Dessert:
Crème Brûlée - As good as it gets, the top cracked to pieces, the base firm but soft and delicious.
Chocolate & Hazelnut Fondant - Well, well, well. Arrived looking like a chocolate muffin with some coffee ice cream, once you took to it though the fondant flowed from within and was the perfect rich end to an excellent meal.

Food - 10/10
Service - 10/10

Highly, highly recommend for a special occasion.

https://www.redballoon.com.au/product/u ... 001-M.html

They used to have Happy Hour from 4-6pm, $5 beers from memory.

After that and then more drinks with dinner, those stairs are deadly.
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Wedgie » Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:14 pm

Mile End Hotel 1/10

Thought we'd try a local pub for lunch today, been there 3 or 4 times before and always had a nice meal with a good little spot out back in their beer garden, have my missus' cider too so bonus.
Get there and go to the back bar, Bulmers Cider and a Mismatch Session thanks mate.
"Sorry, I've don't have any Bulmer's here but have some in the front bar" (front bar is 5-10 metres away) and looks at me blankly.
"Ummm, so shall I go buy one there then?"
"Oh OK and I'll follow you down there"
(WTF?)
Follows me down to the front bar and serves me there.

Order meals using the app on the table, missus orders the pork belly for $36. I was originally going to order the Spencer Gulf Kingfish which I'd seen on line but when I got there noticed signs saying they didn't have any Kingfish and replaced it with flake. Well yeah, I'm not going to pay $29 for flake I could get from the local fish and chip shop for $6.
See a 250 gram porterhouse for $39 and a 300 gram scotch fillet for $45.
Think to myself "**** it", they must be good for that price, I'll go the scotch fillet.

Meals come out after about an hour despite the place not being busy. Young fella brings over our meals. I look at mine, a tiny grey square piece of flat steak thinking "this ain't a scotch fillet.". Young fella says its the porterhouse.
"Mate, I ordered the scotch fillet"
He goes back to the kitchen and finds the receipt and comes back and announces I am correct, I did order the scotch fillet.
He goes off to the kitchen leaving my wife's meal on the table and the what we assume incorrect meal he gave me.
I'm starving and have a couple of chips, thinking why did he leave this here assuming they're getting me the scotch fillet now.
Another 30-40 mins goes by, a lady goes to pick up my wife's meal as she's finished by now and looks at my almost untouched dish. I explain to her I ordered a scotch fillet and the young fella had brought out a porterhouse.
She goes off and talks to the young fella and comes back, oh, he meant to tell you that was the scotch fillet, he was mistaken.
She apologises and says she'll give me a full refend and bring out another one fresh.

Meanwhile I walk back down to the front bar for 2 more drinks, noone serving, a couple of old people fretting as they have been there 10 mins and hadseen noone. I walk back to the bar near me and explain noone was serving in the front bar and if he could get me a Bulmers and my beer, serves my beer and advises the wife's cider will come out to our table. 5 mins later it does with a very grumpy front bar worker who plonks it on the table and no words.
Out comes a very similar 150g of flat gristly grey meat.
Eat it as starving, leave and thank the lord I didn't get a parking ticket as we were there over 2 hours planning for less than 1.
1 and not 0 simply because I got a free meal (assuming the refund on the app works, probably won't).
Missus was overly impressed with how calm and nice I remained.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:20 pm

That's horrendous. Get Gordon Ramsay in there
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11839 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby MW » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:28 am

Not uncommon. I think i've said this before but most hospitality is filled with new employees with no experience. My BIL needs front of house staff for his catering business and struggles to find anyone to do it.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2598 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby Armchair expert » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:41 am

The whole app ordering thing needs to go, why the hell do you need a phone number to order??? I know why but still.
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 1433 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:12 pm

Armchair expert wrote:The whole app ordering thing needs to go, why the hell do you need a phone number to order??? I know why but still.

It's hilarious, I used to live in an Estate and joined their facebook page, I'm still in it because I'm both lazy and nosey and there are so many posts about food getting delivered to wrong houses, most of the time they get told to just keep it as it's been reported and will be getting re-delivered.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:18 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:The whole app ordering thing needs to go, why the hell do you need a phone number to order??? I know why but still.

It's hilarious, I used to live in an Estate and joined their facebook page, I'm still in it because I'm both lazy and nosey and there are so many posts about food getting delivered to wrong houses, most of the time they get told to just keep it as it's been reported and will be getting re-delivered.

Dumb chick next door to me used to get on there all the time and whinge about everything, then used to put on the ole "It's tough being a single mum" act.

Her and her partner never worked a day in the whole time we were neighbours and he sold more pot than Bob Trimboli!
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby gazzamagoo » Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:25 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Dumb chick next door to me used to get on there all the time and whinge about everything, then used to put on the ole "It's tough being a single mum" act.

Anyway, after you fuc*ed her................
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1660 times
Been liked: 649 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:43 am

Does anyone frequent "The House of the Doner Kebab" @ Ottaway?

Apparently they do a yiros for $9 and there is a sign on the counter that says "Don't ask for extra meat, it's already on there".

I've heard if I go there I won't go anywhere else for a yiros.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby gazzamagoo » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:11 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Does anyone frequent "The House of the Doner Kebab" @ Ottaway?

Apparently they do a yiros for $9 and there is a sign on the counter that says "Don't ask for extra meat, it's already on there".

I had a pretty amazing one yesterday at Yanni's on The Parade.
I still stink.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1660 times
Been liked: 649 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Mr Beefy » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:14 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Does anyone frequent "The House of the Doner Kebab" @ Ottaway?

Regularly, it isn't a yiros, its a donor kebab. Yes plenty of meat.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:28 am

Mr Beefy wrote:

No worries, cheers. I'll still give it a crack.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:36 am

Is the difference between a DK and a yiros that it contains tabouli?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:41 am

Brodlach wrote:Is the difference between a DK and a yiros that it contains tabouli?

Pretty sure a DK is more doughy.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:53 am

Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby heater31 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:36 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:

Was once half cut in Royal Tunbridge Wells in the UK paid 5 quid for one of these......never had anything else like it. Couldn't finish it either!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion