I need to know....

Anything!

Re: I need to know....

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:50 am

Has anyone gone to the Fringe Festival yet?

Any recommendations?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby locky801 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:16 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Has anyone gone to the Fringe Festival yet?

Any recommendations?

Yes, stay away :D
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3695 times
Been liked: 1165 times

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:38 pm

Any recommendations?

Not yet but going the comedy pub crawl on Saturday.
Always a good show that gets messy.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2514 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:29 pm

ch9 news just then talking about the crash at blackforest in the headlines, i swear called it whiteforest.... :shock: :?
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11839 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby am Bays » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:42 pm

locky801 wrote:

Any recommendations?

Yes the fringe, ruins a perfectly good Clipsal 500
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

Postby Vamos » Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:43 pm

Where Glenn Archer got his truck licence.
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 468 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:48 pm

Why isn't Rupert trying to plow his new bride.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1660 times
Been liked: 649 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Psyber » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:50 am

locky801 wrote:

Any recommendations?

My wife is planning to drag me off to some show tonight.
Understandable I guess, as she is an actress and a former TV producer for Channel 9 - and still on the odd theatre board.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Pag » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:20 am

How people change careers in their 30s?

Long story, short, my 14th year of teaching, and I've loved every bit up until the last few months, and starting to find that the enjoyment really is being sapped out of the profession. Extra admin jobs (ie inputting all behaviour incidents, even minor, on a daily basis, usually at 8.30pm after kids have gone to bed), being told 'how' to teach (ie have to follow crap lessons the Ed Dept have made that don't cater to all students), dealing with behaviour that I just have to shake my head at followed by dealing with parents who refuse to acknowledge their child could make a mistake, could go on. Wife has pulled me up a couple of times for snapping at my own kids over little things (I'm just 'kidded-out' by the end of the day). Just getting over it. The in-class stuff when I get to be myself in the way that I teach, build relationships and watch some kids grow is awesome. The rest, I feel done with. Debating whether to take some LSL for a re-fresh, or take it all and just not return.

Saw an ad for a job I felt I could do quite well, in a different field, but one I'm equally passionate about. A teaching degree clearly wasn't involved or needed, and the degree that was input as a 'desirable' I obviously don't have, but thought my passion for it could take me a long way. Wrote an application, but chickened out and didn't send it. Starting to get a bit of regret at not at least throwing my hat in the ring.

With a mortgage and two kids, re-studying for three-four years doesn't sound all that appealing when I feel I have skills that could be transferable. Just wanted to see if anyone else had changed industries and how they went about it.
Last edited by Pag on Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:36 am

Pag wrote:How people change careers in their 30s?

Long story, short, my 14th year of teaching, and I've loved every bit up until the last few months, and starting to find that the enjoyment really is being sapped out of the profession. Extra admin jobs (ie inputting all behaviour incidents, even minor, on a daily basis, usually at 8.30pm after kids have gone to bed), being told 'how' to teach (ie have to follow crap lessons the Ed Dept have made that don't carter to all students), dealing with behaviour that I just have to shake my head at followed by dealing with parents who refuse to acknowledge their child could make a mistake, could go on. Wife has pulled me up a couple of times for snapping at my own kids over little things (I'm just 'kidded-out' by the end of the day). Just getting over it. The in-class stuff when I get to be myself in the way that I teach, build relationships and watch some kids grow is awesome. The rest, I feel done with. Debating whether to take some LSL for a re-fresh, or take it all and just not return.

Saw an ad for a job I felt I could do quite well, in a different field, but one I'm equally passionate about. A teaching degree clearly wasn't involved or needed, and the degree that was input as a 'desirable' I obviously don't have, but thought my passion for it could take me a long way. Wrote an application, but chickened out and didn't send it. Starting to get a bit of regret at not at least throwing my hat in the ring.

With a mortgage and two kids, re-studying for a three years doesn't sound all that appealing when I feel I have skills that could be transferable. Just wanted to see if anyone else had changed industries and how they went about it.

Take the plunge if you've lost the desire, you'll excel at whatever you do and you're still young enough to forge a long term career in a different field.

I've worked at the same place for 24 of the past 27 years, 16.5 years consecutively this stint and that all ends Tuesday.

I barely slept for 3 weeks thinking about it, the moment I made the decision and handed my notice in I felt instant relief and a huge weight off of the shoulders, I had men and women coming into my office that afternoon tearing up, it was tough.

For weeks I was wondering whether I'm making the right decision, now it's a case of I've made the decision so it's all in my hands to ensure it's the right decision.

You're a quality bloke, extremely intelligent and popular, even if your first venture fails I'm sure you will always be able to have income coming in through friends while you re-assess your options, but don't focus on Plan B's, go out there and kill it mate, we only live once and you never know what your full potential is if you never get out of your comfort zone.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:39 am

Long story, short, my 14th year of teaching, and I've loved every bit up until the last few months, and starting to find that the enjoyment really is being sapped out of the profession. Extra admin jobs (ie inputting all behaviour incidents, even minor, on a daily basis, usually at 8.30pm after kids have gone to bed), being told 'how' to teach (ie have to follow crap lessons the Ed Dept have made that don't carter to all students), dealing with behaviour that I just have to shake my head at followed by dealing with parents who refuse to acknowledge their child could make a mistake, could go on. Wife has pulled me up a couple of times for snapping at my own kids over little things (I'm just 'kidded-out' by the end of the day). Just getting over it. The in-class stuff when I get to be myself in the way that I teach, build relationships and watch some kids grow is awesome. The rest, I feel done with. Debating whether to take some LSL for a re-fresh, or take it all and just not return.

With a mortgage and two kids, re-studying for three-four years doesn't sound all that appealing when I feel I have skills that could be transferable. Just wanted to see if anyone else had changed industries and how they went about it.

Try your luck out there mate as there are plenty of opportunities out there even if you change fields.
Do it for 6-12 months and see if it’s for you.
You can always go back to teaching if you feel the need to.

I changed jobs after 15 years about 9 months ago and haven’t looked back.
It’s not an entirely different field but the same applies.

I took LSL to work out if I wanted to stay and spent that time researching and upskilling to keep occupied then realised I definitely needed a change.

I spent 3-4 years undecided on whether to change but glad I did.

Good luck as it’s a big decision either way
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby MW » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:41 am

Take your LSL and try something different during that period if you can. Then you can decide.
Either way, now is the time to change jobs if you want too.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2598 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:59 am

Ducted air conditioner
I have a 7 zone and 9 outlet system with one of those zones being a continuous zone.
It’s a big unit with 16.5kw cooling.
My solar app which has always been pretty accurate shows I’m using 6.5kw regardless of which zone I have on.
My biggest zone is the living/dining area which is 6.5kw.
My smallest is my office which is 1.1kw.

I’m home and only running the office zone but my app is showing I’m using 6.5kw.

My understanding is that it should be using my office kw’s of 1.1 plus my continuous kw’s which is 1.2kw.

I am wrong here or is my a/c playing up?
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:02 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
I’m home and only running the office zone but my app is showing I’m using 6.5kw.

What are you wearing?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:27 pm

Hey Pag, I've helped people do the same thing. I left a secure public service job to go contracting, which I've done for 23 years. I did have a mortgage at the time and purchased a property after a couple of years contracting. It's opened so many doors and opened my eyes to many various industries and the acquisition of many different skills I could never have imagined. It's seriously the best thing I ever did.

The one thing you should remember is that when someone puts an ad up on seek or whatever platform, they always want someone who can meet 100% of their needs. "Mr Ideal Applicant". If you meet 70-80%, throw your hat in the ring. What's the worst that can happen? Other people might only meet 50 or 60%! You just never know. If you don't get the gig, ask for feedback as to why.

Ongoing - The key for you is having "transferrable skills" as you say. And you'd have tons of them.

Educating is a key. So straight up, without knowing you, you could become an IT trainer, a faciliator etc. Take a look at these;

https://facilitationjobs.com/a-comprehe ... ob-titles/

The reason I say 'trainer' or similar is that not everyone is comfortable leading a group of people through a training/facilitation session. Clearly, teachers are. I was once told by a colleague of mine that as long as you're happy to stand up in front of people training, you'll have a job for life. Nowadays that also equates to online training where you can perform it from the luxury of your own home.

First thing I'd do, is ring a recruitment agency, like Hays, Icon recruitment (google search recruitment agencies in Adelaide) and just have a chat (I want to speak to someone about other opportunities). It will cost you nothing apart from your time. They'll more than likely either ask you to come in or ask for a resume and then determine what jobs you could be considered for straight away. If you don't have a resume ready or need help compiling one, they'll also assist you.

Let me know how you go or if you need more help.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:38 pm

amber_fluid wrote:Ducted air conditioner
I have a 7 zone and 9 outlet system with one of those zones being a continuous zone.
My solar app which has always been pretty accurate shows I’m using 6.5kw regardless of which zone I have on.

My understanding is that it should be using my office kw’s of 1.1 plus my continuous kw’s which is 1.2kw.

Have you ever run below 6.5kW with the unit on? It may have a VSD that won't run below a certain capacity.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:43 pm

Booney wrote:

Have you ever run below 6.5kW with the unit on? It may have a VSD that won't run below a certain capacity.

This is the first summer I’ve worked from home and had the app so just checking it now but does appear no matter what zone I use it uses 6.5kw. If I put on 4 zones that total 12kw it goes up to 12kw.
So it does appear to not go below 6.5kw as you’ve mentioned.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:55 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Booney wrote:

This is the first summer I’ve worked from home and had the app so just checking it now but does appear no matter what zone I use it uses 6.5kw. If I put on 4 zones that total 12kw it goes up to 12kw.

Means the compressor won't operate below 6.5kW then. Easy done.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:05 pm

Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
Booney wrote:

It’s an expensive way to keep cool in my office at home.
I guess I can turn kids bedrooms on as well to keep cool as it won’t cost anymore
Thank god for solar as well which is producing 5kw currently
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:10 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Booney wrote:

It’s an expensive way to keep cool in my office at home.
I guess I can turn kids bedrooms on as well to keep cool as it won’t cost anymore
Thank god for solar as well which is producing 5kw currently

And may prove to be more cost effective keeping it cool than trying to pull the temp down later when the room is stinking hot.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion