Australian tour of India 2023

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian tour of India 2023

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:46 pm

batmanbegins wrote:Just need to get 100 to 120 ahead and your huge favourites.
That still feels like a long way away with the current lead being 47 and four wickets down.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10328 times
Been liked: 1519 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Armchair expert » Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:46 pm

Would like to have been one less wicket down but still a great day for AUS
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 1434 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby mal » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:19 pm

No Warner No India ?
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1152 times
Been liked: 904 times

Postby stan » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:21 pm

Christ the pitches this tour have been a bloody disgrace.

Good grief balls keeping low and exploding off the pitch in the first session.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:58 am

The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10328 times
Been liked: 1519 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby whufc » Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:28 am

stan wrote:Christ the pitches this tour have been a bloody disgrace.

Whilst its hard to disagree about the pitch i dont mind it.

More often in test history i believe we have seen pitches far to favorable to batters so watching a few tests where batters scramble is nice. Plus I find when watching there is actual excitement about each run we score as the lead edges one run ahead at a time. I think it makes much more entertaining viewing albeit we will see a day or two less of cricket.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:44 am

whufc wrote:

More often in test history i believe we have seen pitches far to favorable to batters so watching a few tests where batters scramble is nice. Plus I find when watching there is actual excitement about each run we score as the lead edges one run ahead at a time. I think it makes much more entertaining viewing albeit we will see a day or two less of cricket.

There’s nothing exciting about watching games on pitches like the ones that have been produced this tour. The best cricket matches you see at Test level are the ones that are over in the 4th and 5th day. The pitches this tour are shithouse and the team that bats first are consistently in the firing line because it’s a dead set lottery and you don’t know what to expect.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby whufc » Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:49 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:
whufc wrote:

There’s nothing exciting about watching games on pitches like the ones that have been produced this tour. The best cricket matches you see at Test level are the ones that are over in the 4th and 5th day. The pitches this tour are shithouse and the team that bats first are consistently in the firing line because it’s a dead set lottery and you don’t know what to expect.

I disagree a tad....with the NZ vs Eng game being the exception.

Look at Sydney......yes they have had some great day 5 finishes but geez the first four days have been ratshit and its taken declarations to get the grand stand finish.

Even AMAZING ADELAIDE was a rubbish test for the first four days.

Personally i would rather 3 days of intense edge of your seat every run counts cricket than one day of drama.

For mine the English probably produce the most well-balanced pitches where you can score runs but it also appears a batsmen can get out any ball. They tend to produce the best and most consistent days of drama.......some of those Ashes series in recent years have seen 3-4-5 days of great cricket in a row.
whufc
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:36 am

Easy to blame pitches in Australia, especially Adelaide, but you’ve got to look at the opposition. No matter what the pitch was in Adelaide the West Indies were never going to be competitive
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby whufc » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:40 am

Brodlach wrote:Easy to blame pitches in Australia, especially Adelaide, but you’ve got to look at the opposition. No matter what the pitch was in Adelaide the West Indies were never going to be competitive

Even when we have had competitive teams im not sure our pitches have always made great viewing.

Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide over periods have been pretty average pitches where games are boring as bat shit whilst their batting paradises for 3-4 days until the pitch break ups and something actually happens on the last day. The old joke rang true around the Adelaide test which wasn't worth tuning in until day 4 and both teams had declared.....

The Day/Nighters have been great for the Adelaide test imo and is now a standout for both quality of cricket plus venue etc best test on the calendar by a mile. Then followed by the GABBA test...especially when it was day 1 of a series.
whufc
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:54 am

EFA the first over!
If it goes to day 3 the ball will be running along the ground.
Shit for batting!!!!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Brodlach » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:56 am

100% disagree with your assessment of the Adelaide Oval pitch
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:03 am

Brodlach wrote:100% disagree with your assessment of the Adelaide Oval pitch

You can't seriously say you enjoyed that period in the 1990'- 2000's where on more occasions than not both teams would make well over 300 in the first innings and then the game relied on declerations to get a result.

Just looked between 2000 - 2014 only two times did a team score under 330 in their first innings.....it was ridiculous. It probably goes back even further but i got bored looking when i reached 2000. They were all runfests until the second innings.
whufc
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:17 am

whufc wrote:

You can't seriously say you enjoyed that period in the 1990'- 2000's where on more occasions than not both teams would make well over 300 in the first innings and then the game relied on declerations to get a result.

Just looked between 2000 - 2014 only two times did a team score under 330 in their first innings.....it was ridiculous. It probably goes back even further but i got bored looking when i reached 2000. They were all runfests until the second innings.

First of all you are referencing 25-30 years ago, how far do you want to go back?

Secondly I loved seeing that, that’s what Tedt Cricket is all about. I probably attended most of those days. It’s an equal battle between bat and ball, didn’t favour either aspect
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby RB » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:28 am

whufc wrote:

Hardly any of those matches ended in draws.

Adelaide Oval was always a batsman's wicket. There's an acceptable spectrum IMO, and Adelaide Oval was at one end of that. Agree that it would be boring if all wickets were like that. But especially given we practically never have rain here in summer, probably an appropriate place for that sort of pitch.

That Melbourne test in about 2017, where Alistair Cook faced about four thousand deliveries, was well outside the acceptable spectrum.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby whufc » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:10 am

I guess we enjoy different things

Give me three days of intense cricket where every run counts over a test which is a bat-a-thin for 3-4 days and then has a ‘great’ fifth day finished based around declerations

Those Adelaide tests you could check the score every few hours knowing not much would have changed…..don’t want to miss three overs of this India test the whole game could change.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:11 am

Brodlach wrote:
whufc wrote:

First of all you are referencing 25-30 years ago, how far do you want to go back?

Secondly I loved seeing that, that’s what Tedt Cricket is all about. I probably attended most of those days. It’s an equal battle between bat and ball, didn’t favour either aspect

Both Teams hitting over 350 in their first innings every time is not an equal contest between bat and ball! :lol:

There was even a few occasions where both teams hit over 500 in their first innings including amazing Adelaide which was the biggest snore test for 3 days
whufc
Coach

Postby Dinglinga75 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:21 am

If Australia win this test ( yes counting chickens before they hatch)

Would the odds of 1.01 for the pitch of the next test will be a road even Trent Kelly couldn't produce
Dinglinga75
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Brodlach » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:42 am

whufc wrote:
Brodlach wrote:
whufc wrote:

Both Teams hitting over 350 in their first innings every time is not an equal contest between bat and ball! :lol:

There was even a few occasions where both teams hit over 500 in their first innings including amazing Adelaide which was the biggest snore test for 3 days

Test cricket is 5 days for a reason. Over 100 years of tradition. A good pitch will always start with a little for the bowlers, flatten out for batting then more for the bowlers day 4 and 5.

Maybe just stick to T20 and One Dayers if you just want quick games
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Armchair expert » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:51 am

Imo what you want is first session of the match to be a little tricky for the batsmen so winning the toss doesn't equal winning the game. The second day into the third should be best for batting before it deteriorates and makes it tough to bat on days 4/5.
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 1434 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket