Port Adelaide 2023

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2023

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:23 am

Brodlach wrote:@Booney did you catch Ken on 5AA last night? Thoughts?

Deliberately, I didn't. Work harder for longer on things we need to improve. I'm sure I've heard it all before.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Brodlach » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:41 am

Booney wrote:

Deliberately, I didn't. Work harder for longer on things we need to improve. I'm sure I've heard it all before.

I don’t blame you for not listening
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:22 pm

Booney wrote:

thats a bit rough on Kenny for not tuning in to support him
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:42 pm

Booney wrote:
Dirty dog wrote:Same Sh@t different year….still waiting for my membership pack and cards to get into the game next Saturday.
How hard is it? Maybe they do it in alphabetical order as my last name starts with a letter at the end of the alphabet.
Switch on Port membership team!

I had mine before Xmas.

Boon is at the start of the alphabet...... ;)

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby stan » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:29 pm

Booney wrote:

He's cooked and your cooked. Simple as that.

We might even finish higher than you.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby DOC » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:45 pm

Have you tried any berley?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Vamos » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:11 pm

Caught older Ken on the news giving it to the ACB
Whoops, there goes another year. Whoops, there goes another pint of beer.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 452 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Vamos » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:13 pm

Anyone done the 5AA Locker Room? Going next Ssturday.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:07 am

Vamos wrote:Anyone done the 5AA Locker Room? Going next Ssturday.

Yep, I think it's changed from when I went though. Mine was beers from 1 hour before until the final siren. Peroni's all round!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Vamos » Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:53 pm

Booney wrote:
Vamos wrote:Anyone done the 5AA Locker Room? Going next Ssturday.

Yep, I think it's changed from when I went though. Mine was beers from 1 hour before until the final siren. Peroni's all round!

Saying 5 hour drink package, bit of food and a seat in the Riverbank stand. Not sure I'll need a seat.
Vamos
League - Top 5

Postby DOC » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:07 pm

Some good perspective here: It's big, like his ability,

David Koch is on stage in Adelaide Oval’s William Magarey Room, about four minutes into his opening address, when he makes a special mention of one new player.

“Then there’s Jason Horne-Francis,” Port Adelaide’s chairman says at the club’s season launch and Hall of Fame night last month.

“Mate, you’ve always been part of Port Adelaide.

“Welcome home.

“Can’t wait to see you pull on that guernsey and play a game for points.”

Port Adelaide’s prized off-season recruit is a week away from doing just that.

Having been traded in October on the back of a tumultuous debut campaign at North Melbourne, Horne-Francis will follow in family footsteps when he faces Brisbane at Adelaide Oval on Saturday.

His dad, Fabian, played 86 AFL games for the Power from 1997-2001 and won two SANFL flags for the club.

A desire to be closer to his tight-knit family prompted Christies Beach-raised Horne-Francis to want to join the side where he had a strong, personal connection.

The excitement at Alberton over the 19-year-old’s arrival is matched by the intensity of the spotlight on a player taken at pick No. 1 in 2021.

“I’m not sure we’ve had anybody with that much scrutiny on him and the thing is he’s so young, so it’s a bit of the unknown,” three-time Magpies premiership captain Tim Ginever tells News Corp.

“When Paddy Ryder came (from Essendon at the end of 2014), there was an incredible amount of excitement because we all knew he was a bloody good player, but he was already proven.”

Horne-Francis is 17 games into his AFL career.

He will be one of the youngest players on the ground against the Lions.

Football legend Malcolm Blight believes the external expectations on him have been too high “but it always is because you wear the mantle of number one”.

“The fact that we put this pressure on one, that’s the system, but I think they’re all pretty equal (as early draftees),” Blight says.

“You can throw a blanket over 25, 30 most years and you find some adapt to it quicker than others.”

Horne-Francis averaged 16.5 disposals, 2.9 tackles, 2.5 inside 50s and 3.5 clearances last year, playing mainly at half-forward and in the midfield.

Although he won the Kangaroos’ best young player honour, he did not poll a vote in the league’s Rising Star award.

Nathan Buckley was the first winner of that AFL gong 30 years ago when he was with Brisbane, before joining Collingwood at the end of his first season.

His move, as well as their looks to start their careers – black boots, socks up, long blond hair – have led to comparisons.

So too has on-field traits such as powerful running, confidence and strong determination.

Buckley acknowledges there are a lot of correlations, particularly the media attention.

“I wasn’t ready for the fierce focus that came with moving from Brisbane to Collingwood,” Buckley, who was a Port Adelaide SANFL star before joining the AFL, said on SEN.

“There was a lot said, a lot of opinions that were made without a lot of information and I think this kid is going through a very similar situation, albeit with social media, which takes it to another level again.”

Of the scrutiny on Horne-Francis, Buckley tells News Corp: “He is not going to avoid it … just put your head down and learn as quickly as you possibly can.”

A Twitter like of a hypothetical move to the Power, getting dropped by the Kangaroos for not doing an ice bath recovery properly, requesting a trade after just one season and having post-season surgery on both legs are among the Horne-Francis storylines from his first 16 months in the AFL system.

One of his best mates at the Power, Jase Burgoyne, says the scrutiny has not seemed to affect him.

“He goes about his day like normal, always has a good attitude, always happy,” Burgoyne says.

“He’s really happy here, obviously back with his family and home.”

Their fathers were SANFL premiership teammates and played together with the Power, but

Horne-Francis and Burgoyne did not become friends until being part of the state junior program.

They were in the same under-16 and under-18 sides, as well as the AFL Academy, and were opponents in the SANFL.

Now they are the only two Power players who wear their socks up – something they do because of their dads.

“We became really good friends from ‘16s, then it just grew … especially when we came to the club for AFL Academy and it was me and him training,” Burgoyne says of Horne-Francis.

“It’s been good to have him at the club and would’ve been good for him coming over knowing I was there, a familiar face.”

Burgoyne says Horne-Francis mentions very little about his season at the Kangaroos.

The duo spend most of their time together just hanging out and occasionally play golf.

“He’s real kiddish, like me,” Burgoyne says.

“We like to have fun, joke around, have a good time.”

Dual Magarey Medallist and former South Adelaide teammate Joel Cross also describes Horne-Francis as a joker.

“He’s a very funny person, outgoing, confident,” Cross says.

Cross thinks Horne-Francis has the personality to thrive on the added external attention.

“Probably the first 12 months is a bit of a challenge but once you get used to it and understand what it is, he’ll love it and the challenge of being involved at a club like Port Adelaide,” he says.

Cross is surprised by criticism of Horne-Francis from his time at the Kangaroos, remembering him as ultra competitive and incredibly driven.

“I couldn’t speak badly of him as a person,” says Cross, who also coached him in the Panthers’ under-14s.

Blight was there when Horne-Francis joined the Roos, handing him a No. 6 guernsey at the Cathedral Hotel in North Adelaide moments after being drafted.

It was a symbolic moment – a South Australian and North Melbourne champion alongside the state’s first No. 1 pick in 15 years, for whom the club had enormous aspirations.

“You hope when you draft the lads that they will stay but everyone’s got a reason to stay or not to stay,” Blight says.

“Jason’s no different to a lot of others who have moved clubs for a multitude of reasons.

“I was disappointed for North Melbourne as much as anything, but for Jason’s sake he thinks that (joining Port Adelaide) is the best thing for him so good on him.”

Horne-Francis made an inauspicious start at his new club, having his leg surgeries within a fortnight of being traded.

Since returning, he has been one of its pre-season shining lights.

The 185cm, 85kg on-baller particularly caught the eye in the club’s two practice games in Perth this month.

Ginever has liked what he has seen.

“He’s a competitive animal,” he says.

“He’s got a fair bit of fire and it looks like he’s still maturing and you take that time to find that maturity.

“He’s got some power like Bucks, the acceleration away and then poise to be able to deliver … and he can hunt his own footy.”

Blight reckons Horne-Francis is rushing too much at the ball and opposition players.

“You can just see he’s such a driven lad, he just wants to do very well, but I reckon he’s got to pare that back a bit,” he says.

“Sometimes you’ve got to be measured in the game rather than rushing the game.”

Horne-Francis gave away six free kicks in the Power’s practice match loss to Fremantle last week.

In the internal trial, he conceded a 100m penalty.

“That’s just the lad just wanting to get there and do stuff,” Blight says.

“It sounds funny but some players want to back off a bit, but it’s a hard thing to do.”

Ginever is not concerned.

“What I’d hate to see is if he wasn’t trying to get the ball and not being aggressive,” he says.

“It’s the desire I get excited about because gee whiz, you can work with that.

“Maybe there’s a case of trying a little bit too hard and that can happen when you’re young and determined.”

Cross, who now manages the South Australian Cricket Association’s premier competitions, likens Horne-Francis giving away free kicks to a star batsman’s on-field aggression.

“It’s like watching cricket and Dave Warner comes on, tries to slog one and gets bowled – you take the good with the bad,” he says.

“He’s going to have a really good innings and make a quick 100 in a one-dayer sometimes and sometimes he’s going to go out early.”

What Buckley sees is a really determined young man who wants to be the finished product and best player in the league right now.

“But it is going to take some time for him to learn and it is going to take him falling short of his own expectations and learning from that will be a challenge for him,” he says.

“So leadership in the footy program will be big in that.”

Buckley believes Ken Hinkley is right for Horne-Francis at this point of his career, noting the

Power coach’s playing record as a dual All-Australian and one-time best-and-fairest.

“I think Ken knows what it is like to have that high-end talent and it takes time to become a high-end professional – that is a totally different challenge again,” he says.

“Port Adelaide have great leadership and Ken Hinkley will help him along.”

In interviews, Hinkley and other people at the Power have struck the balance between being thrilled to have recruited Horne-Francis, talking up his potential and reminding everyone he is still a teenager with a mere 17 AFL games under his belt.

Cross, as an outsider, is not tempering expectations.

“It won’t be very long before he starts dominating the competition because he’s too physical, too aggressive and too intelligent footy-wise to not have an impact in the next 12 months, in my opinion,” he says.

“Long-term his ability as a footballer will be huge for Port Adelaide for a long period of time.”

Ginever is much less emphatic, mindful of heaping on extra pressure.

“We know the talent’s there, know the potential’s there … he’s just got those other elements (to work on) that come with age,” he says.

“Too many pundits really want to force or fast-track the issue with these guys that go top 10 and it’s wrecked a few over the years, especially more of the taller, key-position types.

“Let them develop, let them fall over and skin their knees.

“Head down, bum up, he’ll eventually be an incredibly important player for us in the future.

“I really believe your best footy will come out when you’re enjoying it and he’s happy with the environment, happy to be there.”

Horne-Francis is all smiles at Port Adelaide’s Hall of Fame night.

He mingles with dozens of club greats, watches on as the new inductees are announced and is presented with his 2023 guernsey by Power premiership star Kane Cornes.

Ginever has been part of the club’s fabric for most of his life, as either a supporter, player, coach, working in sales or an MC.

He knows full well the types of footballers its fans adore and believes Horne-Francis can become one.

“Port Adelaide people love anybody who gives everything, that’s why they love Sam Powell-Pepper because he just keeps at it,” he says.

“That’s why they love Travis Boak – he gives everything that’s inside him every game.

“Keep being patient with Jason as supporters because you’ve got a determined kid here who you know will be trying everything he can to be the best.”
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Vamos » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:00 am

WTF, who's reading that, I got concussion after the 16th scroll.:shock:
Vamos
League - Top 5

Postby Booney » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:12 am

PAFC statement – Black-and-white heritage guernsey
Port Adelaide will wear its iconic black-and-white Prison Bar guernsey in the Round 3 Showdown against the Adelaide Crows.

https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/ ... e-guernsey
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:43 am

Nice to get this over and done with early so we don’t have to listen to the whining all season
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby am Bays » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:07 am

Booney wrote:PAFC statement – Black-and-white heritage guernsey
Port Adelaide will wear its iconic black-and-white Prison Bar guernsey in the Round 3 Showdown against the Adelaide Crows.

100% chance that someone who wears the prison bars to the game will end up behind them that night 8)
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby carey » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:39 am

stan wrote:
Booney wrote:

I didn't pick you as a drug taker, yet here we are.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Dirty dog » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:49 am

Trying to pre~order one now but looks like only youth sizes left.
Dirty dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times
Grassroots Team: Kadina

Postby Dirty dog » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:49 am

Trying to pre~order one now but looks like only youth sizes left.
Dirty dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times
Grassroots Team: Kadina

Postby stan » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:22 pm

carey wrote:
stan wrote:
Booney wrote:

I didn't pick you as a drug taker, yet here we are.
Some days are good, some days are just as good
stan
Coach

Postby stan » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:23 pm

Should change this to Adults have a discussion and maturely work out a solution.
stan
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL